Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts V: Together & Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    kraw

Nine Inch Nails Ghosts V-VI are available now.

In the last couple of weeks I’ve been listening to these albums while taking quiet walks in the morning when the world seems relatively peaceful and calm and I've also left my headphones in while going to the grocery store (which is a quick reminder of the opposite). GHOSTS V-VI end up being an appropriate soundtrack for both of those experiences.

The difference between the moods of GHOSTS V: TOGETHER and GHOSTS VI: LOCUSTS is something we wanted the art to reflect. Lots of ideas were explored and ultimately presenting the album art as clean isolated type on nearly inverted backgrounds for each album was what resonated with us the most.

The art is almost the opposite of what I was thinking the next album from NIN might look like if you'd asked me two months ago, but so is what I would have expected March 2020 to look like.

Regarding the new photo of Trent and Atticus, it's not exactly new. All of us have been doing our part by working remotely so an in-person photoshoot wasn't an option. I'd briefly considered coming up with a way to stylize some facetime screen grabs of them, but then I remembered some photos I took of them obscured by diffusion material a few months ago. The soft hazy look didn't make sense for anything at the time they were taken, but in the context of today they felt right for these new albums.

I'm glad everyone can listen to these albums now. I know NIN's music has made me feel less alone in this world for many years and these albums do the same. That being said, I can't entirely in good conscience endorse listening to GHOSTS VI: LOCUSTS while shopping for groceries in the middle of a pandemic.

Stay safe.

John

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    These are fantastic! Think I like "Locusts" a bit more. The dark side seems more appropriate right now.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    They're up on archive.org, just in case anyone continues to have any issues...
    Last edited by ItsJustDave; 03-27-2020 at 10:15 PM. Reason: removed links

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Is there a hi-def (i.e. 24bit) version available anywhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Is there a hi-def (i.e. 24bit) version available anywhere?
    Only to stream on Amazon Music HD

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I definitely like this as a whole more than the original Ghosts, which I love. I've tend to have honeymoon periods with post-fragile material that eventually fade into boredom and only occasional visitations. Ghosts is one that stuck with me.

These are both overall more coherent, although perhaps because the theme has been overtly told to us this time. The sort of random compulsiveness of the original Ghosts, that it could be completely hit or miss, but was put out there with all it's imperfections, that was the best and worst thing about it. I think this one will age well, and may be one of the best post-fragile NIN releases, if not the best, excepting The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, depending on who counts that.

And speaking of Dragon Tattoo, I had sort of reached a point where many of the scores had begun to wash over me and becohe sort of indistinguishable, because they are kind of similar and there just simply so many tracks. But Watchmen stuck out to me maybe because I liked that show so much, and because it was relatively diverse, that said these two albums feel distinct from those for some unknown reason.

From what I've gathered in here Locusts is appearing the more popular of the two, maybe it's edgier or whatever but I think Together is the bigger stretch for Nine Inch Nails and I definitely welcome the continued inclusion of saxaphones. I think I like it much more than Locusts, although my favorite track among the two is "Turn this off Please." I'm definitely inclined to the instrumental/experimental modalities of modern Nine Inch Nails so these have scratched that itch nicely.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    They're up on archive.org, just in case anyone continues to have any issues...
    Going to be “that guy” here... strictly speaking, there’s no indication that these Ghosts records were released under a license that makes them appropriate material for archive.org

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Thanks! Should I tag both tracks in capitals and edit it on ninwiki?

Should we also add a note that “Another Crashed Car” could allude to the Bowie song “Always Crashing In The Same Car”?
    @piggy @sheepdean
    I'm thinking maybe we should wait and see if we can find out if Locusts is a reimagined/repurposed Woman In The Window score? The titles might mean something else in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Going to be “that guy” here... strictly speaking, there’s no indication that these Ghosts records were released under a license that makes them appropriate material for archive.org
    Good point. You can delete any posts you like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I found out about these right as I had just loaded up Quake 1! What are the odds eh?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Really digging this. Not quite as varied or bizarre as the first four volumes, but it seems like this one has more of a purpose or drive behind it. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if this came about from the wreckage of the score for The Woman In The Window. Take this quote from Trent in the Revolver interview...

And we made an avant-garde score. There's moments where the main character's losing her mind and we made sure you felt like you're losing your mind in the midst of a panic attack.
    Obviously that description could be applied to a lot of Trent and Atticus' music, but it's hard to deny that it fits this album like a glove.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is there a FLAC available of this? These MP3s clip like a motherfucker and TIDAL’s files are messed up.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Is there a FLAC available of this? These MP3s clip like a motherfucker and TIDAL’s files are messed up.
    How are Tidal's files messed up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you! My day just got better.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Good point. You can delete any posts you like.
    My point was moreover about the abuse of archive.org for purposes which it is not intended (because that's how useful resources like archive.org get shuttered), but hey, you're right. I've edited content accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    There's Deezer's FLACs. That's where I got my 16bit copies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I went into the random score thoughts thread and I found this... interesting how Together is there huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I was looking through the GEMA database, and noticed these "additional" songs or alternate titles. I was unable to find the titles under FYC titles.

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross // Complicit
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross // Dinner With Sean Muzak (this is how the song is registered in GEMA)
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross // The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (listed as alternate title for "Perihelion")
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross // Move
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross // Rise And Shine
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross // Ritual Deceivers
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross // Together
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross // Unnatural

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    My point was moreover about the abuse of archive.org for purposes which it is not intended (because that's how useful resources like archive.org get shuttered), but hey, you're right. I've edited content accordingly.
    I understand your concern. I want archive.org to prosper and grow without unnecessary risk of litigation. There’s lots of obviously dodgy stuff on there that really surprises me sometimes. The classic Star Wars movies in their entirety and Shrek for instance seem like flames to copyright moths. I hope these two albums aren’t a risk, but they’re certainly in a different ball park to those other things.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Both albums on iTunes for Ł8 each

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Second complete listen last night, alone in the dark, two comments:
    - this time I did not notice any unpleasant frequencies at all? (weird, no I wasn't asleep heh, and this time I used ProLogic II fake surround decoding on 5.1, next time I'll try DTS:Neo 6),
    - I just had to add one final track to playlist because I was seriously craving it - "Resolve" from Patriots Day, I needed that, aaah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oh, hey, if anyone likes the dark ambient sounds of this but also wants some louder and more abrasive material, may i recommend Kesto 234.48:4 by Pan Sonic? 4 discs, starting loud and getting more sparse/ambient as you progress (disc 4 is literally one 61-minute ambient piece). one of the best CD purchases i have ever made. would kill to have it released on vinyl (but it would have to be spread out over at least 6 discs).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YvwM2fwM87pDj4
    thanks so much for this recommendation, just listened to the whole thing, it’s fab

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’m leaning towards “Together” at the moment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Pleasant surprise when I received the e-mail from nin.com last night. Listening to Ghosts V now. This material suits my current mood perfectly. It's beautiful stuff. Thanks TR/AR!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Have only listened to Together so far. While not as melodic or thematic as previous film scores or NIN-strumentals, it's a bold statement from a band that wanted to put more art out into the world during a global crisis. A beautiful action taken, and beautiful (and unsettling) music created. Remember, YZ was significantly of its own time (Bush-era U.S.A.) and these records will be remembered that way, too, I'd imagine. Ever since their first score, each one has mostly imprinted on me in its own way. I'll definitely be seeing these pieces less as tracks to hum and more as components of whole statements. Thanks again, TR & AR.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm thinking maybe we should wait and see if we can find out if Locusts is a reimagined/repurposed Woman In The Window score? The titles might mean something else in that context.
    Has anyone actually provided any evidence for this other than people speculating? We know cancelled scores have happened before, but the music is normally marked as such (One Hour Photo for example)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Has anyone actually provided any evidence for this other than people speculating? We know cancelled scores have happened before, but the music is normally marked as such (One Hour Photo for example)
    My best guess is this is score work from a number of projects over the last 2 or so years.

The track "Together" is and has been on the GEMA database as a Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross track. I don't think there's any other "evidence" right now besides the track titles fit a film (and that's all anecdotal). You could honestly make the titles for all of these fit Watchmen or TGWTDT just as easily.

(I'm uploading a screenshot of the database entry now; trying to link it is fickle)

Last edited by Jon; 03-28-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I definitely like this as a whole more than the original Ghosts, which I love. I've tend to have honeymoon periods with post-fragile material that eventually fade into boredom and only occasional visitations. Ghosts is one that stuck with me.

These are both overall more coherent, although perhaps because the theme has been overtly told to us this time. The sort of random compulsiveness of the original Ghosts, that it could be completely hit or miss, but was put out there with all it's imperfections, that was the best and worst thing about it. I think this one will age well, and may be one of the best post-fragile NIN releases, if not the best, excepting The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, depending on who counts that.

And speaking of Dragon Tattoo, I had sort of reached a point where many of the scores had begun to wash over me and becohe sort of indistinguishable, because they are kind of similar and there just simply so many tracks. But Watchmen stuck out to me maybe because I liked that show so much, and because it was relatively diverse, that said these two albums feel distinct from those for some unknown reason.

From what I've gathered in here Locusts is appearing the more popular of the two, maybe it's edgier or whatever but I think Together is the bigger stretch for Nine Inch Nails and I definitely welcome the continued inclusion of saxaphones. I think I like it much more than Locusts, although my favorite track among the two is "Turn this off Please." I'm definitely inclined to the instrumental/experimental modalities of modern Nine Inch Nails so these have scratched that itch nicely.
    where are people hearing sax? there are definitely a couple songs with trumpet, but i heard zero saxophone in my listen-through of both albums.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Look, I don't know my brasswinds lol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This is a completely different experience than i expected. I was ready for some Ghosts I-IV style instrumentals with some serious rhythm and instrumentals but was greeted by a more hazy and blurry type of music filled with stretched out echoes, reverb, dissonance or peaking audio. The music creates a rather weird atmosphere, one in which you could start drifting away while just sitting there... listening. I can imagine natural scenes of trees, nature, mist and all sorts of images with a slight supernatural sense while hearing the audio. It's easy to understand why some listeners don't really like it. It's also easy to see that somebody over there, at the Trent and Atticus headquarters, felt the need to share this set of music in a similar way to Ghosts I-IV: free of charge with the option to buy. As far as i know it's kind of part of their legacy of not milking people for their music but rather guiding fans and listeners towards buying the "special" merchandise.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    After a few listens—Locusts is definitely the one that I really enjoyed the most. Little bit more variety than Together, but I wouldn't say either are bad listens. Together has more-so been great mood pieces for me while I've been working remote and I got to experience Locusts on my lunch walk that Thursday afternoon so it was really fun to experience it that way.

Will I put these two high in my personal favorites within the NIN LP/EP discography? Probably not, though time will tell. I've had almost 11 years to sit with the first four volumes of Ghosts, so we'll see where these two land down the road.

All in all, these are fun little albums for a crazy time in our life and shouldn't get fans are riled up as I've seen. Being a fan of output from similar workaholics like Mark Kozelek and Lil B, you learn to prepare yourself for what's next. I'm much more interested in what Trent described for the next LP and this "collaboration" affair. The thing I want out of Nine Inch Nails in 2020 is for them to keep me guessing when it comes to their LP. I want them to experiment and challenge me as well as challenge themselves.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Look, I don't know my brasswinds lol
    Please accept this introductory Miles Davis double facepalm, good sir