Page 139 of 160 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Why exactly is race important here?
    Really? It's a figure of speech, nothing more. I don't like the song, I used a descriptor you didn't like.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tap3worm View Post
    Wait, what's wrong with Sunspots? That song bangs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Agree to disagree y'all. The lyrics are cringe white guy rhyming.
    Why exactly is race important here?
    Really? It's a figure of speech, nothing more. I don't like the song, I used a descriptor you didn't like.
    Really.

Regardless of whether it's a figure of speech or some crappy meme, it's toxic, perpetuating our differences while adding nothing to the conversation. Homophobic words like "gay" (and "fag"; see Bill & Ted) were used as derogatory terms to describe anything (or anybody) bad in the '90s (something which continues to this day). That was just a "figure of speech" at the time. Does that mean it was okay? I don't think so.

Race is irrelevant to Nine Inch Nails (aside from that one line in God Given). Trent could be any race on the planet and it wouldn't matter; the lyrics are universally relateable.

I honestly don't care whether you like the song or not. This is a thread for controversial opinions, after all. However, I find it absolutely bizarre that you have over 1800 posts on here and yet you call out Sunspots of all songs for "white guy rhyming".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never want to hear Hurt or Head Like A Hole ever again. They are so played.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    That vacuum noise always reminded me of a blender or can opener. I like to imagine Trent was blending a smoothie while making this song.
    http://reznormix.ytmnd.com/
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-16-2020 at 02:30 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention it sooner. =P

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    I never want to hear Hurt or Head Like A Hole ever again. They are so played.
    You're right. Thing is, every NIN show is going to be someone's first, and these songs are expected to be played.

I'd like it if they rotated them. Every tour, pick a couple of similar songs and switch them out. Instead of HLAH, they could play Less Than one night, then maybe THTF, then back to HLAH, etc. Instead of Hurt, it could be The Great Below, SICNH, Lights In The Sky. The back catalogue is pretty huge. Except... people just want to hear these old songs they've played a thousand times before (HLAH currently has been played 940 times according to setlist.fm). It's fine, but it's boring. Personally, I love HLAH. Hurt is a sing-along... which I don't enjoy all that much.

Trent has said in the past that he never wants to become a nostalgia act. This is somewhat at odds with how they tour, where the setlist is mostly kept the same (last USA tour notwithstanding). That said, there is a decent mix of old and new in there. I suppose with such a massive list of songs to pull from, some inevitably fall to the back of the pile if they're difficult or not fun to play.

But fuck it, I don't give a shit if Trent hates The Perfect Drug. I want to hear that (please).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Really.

Regardless of whether it's a figure of speech or some crappy meme, it's toxic, perpetuating our differences while adding nothing to the conversation. Homophobic words like "gay" (and "fag"; see Bill & Ted) were used as derogatory terms to describe anything (or anybody) bad in the '90s (something which continues to this day). That was just a "figure of speech" at the time. Does that mean it was okay? I don't think so.

Race is irrelevant to Nine Inch Nails (aside from that one line in God Given). Trent could be any race on the planet and it wouldn't matter; the lyrics are universally relateable.

I honestly don't care whether you like the song or not. This is a thread for controversial opinions, after all. However, I find it absolutely bizarre that you have over 1800 posts on here and yet you call out Sunspots of all songs for "white guy rhyming".
    I added to the conversation, you didn't like it, called me toxic, and proceeded to give me a history lesson about the word gay and fag using Bill & Ted. I'm white, Trent is white, I accurately called it "white guy rhyming". The only person trying to perpetuate our differences is you with your sermon.

Take some time off the Internet and stop trying to find things to be offended about.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I added to the conversation, you didn't like it, called me toxic, and proceeded to give me a history lesson about the word gay and fag using Bill & Ted. I'm white, Trent is white, I accurately called it "white guy rhyming". The only person trying to perpetuate our differences is you with your sermon.

Take some time off the Internet and stop trying to find things to be offended about.
    I didn't call you toxic, I called the figure of speech toxic.

It's important to learn from history.

Please note that you're the one who originally posted the comment (that does perpetuate our differences by forcing the dialectic, by the way!). I merely posted a response questioning why you'd said it.

Trent's skin colour has nothing to do with anything and I'm still confused why you think this phrase is an accurate way to describe the way that Nine Inch Nails works or the way that... anything works. Would you describe Jane Austen's books as 'white girl writing'? I'm so lost as to why it's necessary to specifically point out the race of the artist. Yes, we know he's white. So what? Beyond being aware of that, the information is meaningless with regards to an understanding of the music. Is there any point in the history of NIN where the music needs to be contextualised by the colour of the artist's skin? No, because it doesn't matter. As I said, it's universal. This is why I stated that the phrase adds nothing to the conversation.

When I first started listening to the band, I didn't know what Trent looked like or what race he was, only that he was based in America somewhere. Heck, I didn't even know what his speaking voice sounded like, but did that matter? No, because the music was the thing I was interested in. Everything else was irrelevant.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I dislike Sunspots because the lyrics are pretty bad (although the delivery is fine) and because that vaccuuming section just has...nothing going on.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I dislike Sunspots because the lyrics are pretty bad (although the delivery is fine) and because that vaccuuming section just has...nothing going on.
    Build and climax, baby. Build and climax.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ok, I'll bite

the worst songs are:
    Not So Pretty Now
    I Would for You
    Disappointed

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Trent's skin colour has nothing to do with anything and I'm still confused why you think this phrase is an accurate way to describe the way that Nine Inch Nails works or the way that... anything works. Would you describe Jane Austen's books as 'white girl writing'?
    That Jane Austen thing has actually been a joke in the black comedy circuit for a while.

But I digress, I posted the comment not expecting the response. While I don't personally see anything wrong with it, I see your point. The Bill & Ted thing irked me because my father is gay. C'est la vie.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I hope I'm not adding more wood to the fire with this, but here's my two cents: "white guy rhyming" has more to do with comedic stereotypes than a racial thing; think Vanilla Ice level cheese. It's no different than "white guy dancing". It's more about illustrative language that paints a picture based on things you've probably seen on film or television (or, obviously, in real life). I get that you're trying to promote progression and positive language, but I think you're reaching a bit with comparing it to using "gay" and "fag" negatively. That's an entirely different thing, and I absolutely agree with that needing to stop. Besides, many white rappers have proven they're not a part of that stereotype (see: Eminem).

Edit: Eminem is probably an ironic example given his use of "gay" and "fag/faggot" in some of his songs. Sorry.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 02-18-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I didn't call you toxic, I called the figure of speech toxic.

It's important to learn from history.

Please note that you're the one who originally posted the comment (that does perpetuate our differences by forcing the dialectic, by the way!). I merely posted a response questioning why you'd said it.

Trent's skin colour has nothing to do with anything and I'm still confused why you think this phrase is an accurate way to describe the way that Nine Inch Nails works or the way that... anything works. Would you describe Jane Austen's books as 'white girl writing'? I'm so lost as to why it's necessary to specifically point out the race of the artist. Yes, we know he's white. So what? Beyond being aware of that, the information is meaningless with regards to an understanding of the music. Is there any point in the history of NIN where the music needs to be contextualised by the colour of the artist's skin? No, because it doesn't matter. As I said, it's universal. This is why I stated that the phrase adds nothing to the conversation.

When I first started listening to the band, I didn't know what Trent looked like or what race he was, only that he was based in America somewhere. Heck, I didn't even know what his speaking voice sounded like, but did that matter? No, because the music was the thing I was interested in. Everything else was irrelevant.
    I like Sunspots, but being offended and calling "white guy rhyming" "toxic" is offensive in itself, because it somehow equates racism against white people as somehow just as bad or damaging as that to people of color. Context is everything.

White people haven't suffered centuries of laws and policies and social structures designed to destroy and drive out their communities. White kids aren't sitting in cages at the border. White kids aren't shot for wearing a hoodie or just standing around in the wrong place.

If you feel persecuted as a white person, you ought to ask yourself who is convincing yo oof this truth.

I think Sunspots is just fine, I think "white guy rhyming" is way too dismissive of a really solid track - but toxic? Offensive? No way, not in this era. No.

Also, this isn't the first time you have had issues regarding race on ETS.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Fuck y’all, year zero is a fuckin bop.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    being offended and calling "white guy rhyming" "toxic" is offensive in itself, because it somehow equates racism against white people as somehow just as bad or damaging as that to people of color. Context is everything.
    You're right. However, prejudice is prejudice. Intolerance against others because of their differences is wrong.

Also, this isn't the first time you have had issues regarding race on ETS.
    Also, note that the other time this happened, you were the one who brought up racism and threw me the 'racist' hot potato when I said I didn't like Old Town Road.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    You're right. However, prejudice is prejudice. Intolerance against others because of their differences is wrong.

Also, note that the other time this happened, you were the one who brought up racism and threw me the 'racist' hot potato when I said I didn't like Old Town Road.
    you can't be racist against white people because of the inherent dynamics present in our society. you can be prejudiced against them, but NOT racist.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Cleanup on isle controversial!!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    you can't be racist against white people because of the inherent dynamics present in our society. you can be prejudiced against them, but NOT racist.
    Ugh.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/racism
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...english/racism
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/racism
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...english/racism
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Cleanup on isle controversial!!!
    Hear, hear!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    When I go onto a Nine Inch Nails forum full of 30+ year olds I really wonder what they all think about race and thankfully this thread satisfies

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    When I go onto a Nine Inch Nails forum full of 30+ year olds I really wonder what they all think about race and thankfully this thread satisfies
    Exceptional grasp and understanding displayed! FIVE dictionary definitions linked with no analysis whatsoever!! If you didn't agree with me reading the first one, read the second one, maybe the third one, and the fourth one, by the fifth one you will REALLY REALLY agree!!!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Before I was a fan, I used to call Nine Inch Nails "angry white boy music". I'll still jokingly refer to it as such if people ask me what kind of music I'm into. I even made a remix of Closer called the "Angry White Boy Remix". Not sure what the big deal is or who exactly is getting harmed by saying it. If a white person hears that and gets offended, they need to get over themselves.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 02-19-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Ok, I'll bite

the worst songs are:
    Not So Pretty Now
    I Would for You
    Disappointed
    While I don’t care much for NSPN and Disappointed, I Would For You is probably one of my top three tracks from Skid Marks.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Please note that I specifically used 'prejudice' here rather than 'racism' in relation to intolerance to white people.

This thread has spiralled out of control. All I did was question why Trent's race is relevant to the art he makes. That's all.

It's frustrating that I continuously have to defend the points that skin colour doesn't (always) matter in relation to art, and that intolerance against others is wrong.

Maybe my example of another kind of intolerance was crap. Maybe I'm entirely in the wrong here. I apologise if I've offended anyone here.

Last edited by katara; 02-20-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    "I'm so lost as to why it's necessary to specifically point out the race of the artist. Yes, we know he's white. So what? Beyond being aware of that, the information is meaningless with regards to an understanding of the music. Is there any point in the history of NIN where the music needs to be contextualised by the colour of the artist's skin? No, because it doesn't matter. As I said, it's universal. This is why I stated that the phrase adds nothing to the conversation."

"Colorblind" attitudes actually perpetuate racism. It is a form of gaslighting, and it is how I used to think not that many years ago. We all see race, it is what we do with our differences. If white people can't see whiteness, and if they are going to be defensive whenever anyone even utters the word "white", then we aren't going to make any progress as a society. You have to see your own race, and see the power dynamics more broadly in society, if anything approaching equality is ever going to be achieved.

Here are some articles that speak to this issue of "what does race matter?". It's been studied extensively.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...is-form-racism
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-bad-everyone/
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uctive/405037/
    https://www.amazon.com/Racism-withou.../dp/1442202181

And to the rest of you who are bothered by this sidetrack interrupting your enjoyment of ETS, good. You need to be bothered sometimes. People of color are bothered by racism everyday in every context from school to work to going to the store. Be bothered. Here's a fly in your soup. Enjoy.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    And to the rest of you who are bothered by this sidetrack interrupting your enjoyment of ETS, good. You need to be bothered sometimes. People of color are bothered by racism everyday in every context from school to work to going to the store. Be bothered. Here's a fly in your soup. Enjoy.
    I realize your point was ultimately defending my use of the word "white", but holy heck. Not everything is "racially driven" these days. No one is gaslighting here; me telling you I'm not gaslighting is not my subtle form of gaslighting, either.

People are upset because a random comment got turned into a college ethics class and a game of "Find The Racist".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    For talk about racism, there's a lot of white-guy debating here. Oh wait...

Back to my YZ opinion...I respect it a lot more than I enjoy the execution. I thought the album was going to be experimental in its songs' structures, but it really wasn't (which is fine, TR and AR write pop songs, generally). Guess I had my expectations unmet, whereas with other records and especially the Trilogy, my expectations were met, exceeded, or flipped.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Can confirm that most of the time I'm usually angry as well as white.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Can confirm that most of the time I'm usually angry as well as white.
    Coming to ETS can do that to you. Well, maybe not the white part 100% anyways- that’s your parents fault.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I hope I'm not adding more wood to the fire with this, but here's my two cents: "white guy rhyming" has more to do with comedic stereotypes than a racial thing; think Vanilla Ice level cheese. It's no different than "white guy dancing". It's more about illustrative language that paints a picture based on things you've probably seen on film or television (or, obviously, in real life). I get that you're trying to promote progression and positive language, but I think you're reaching a bit with comparing it to using "gay" and "fag" negatively. That's an entirely different thing, and I absolutely agree with that needing to stop. Besides, many white rappers have proven they're not a part of that stereotype (see: Eminem).

Edit: Eminem is probably an ironic example given his use of "gay" and "fag/faggot" in some of his songs. Sorry.
    That's exactly how I took it. Jokes in general sometimes confuse the hell out me in legit conversations though, (In terms/questions like, "Was that right or wrong? Was that even funny?") but in comedy just about anything goes.

I definitely always make use of the dictionary as much as possible when it comes to topics like these or words in general. I also suppose it just sometimes depends on who you're speaking to, especially in this case. (As I've often failed to consider the source myself along with context/content and how and what is being said.)

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    I'm actually a bit surprised that it didn't happen in the Speak your mind and In the Headlines sections. (Not that it hasn't happened in the Nine Inch Nails section before, but it proves yet again that such a thing is bound to happen here. It's just guaranteed.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hate Closer.