Page 128 of 160 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,840 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Are there NIN songs you guys DON'T like?
    I don't mean ones your just tired of.

I REALLY don't like THTF. I guess I kind of convinced myself I liked it when it came out?
    But, no.
    I actively dislike that shit. :/
    Yeah Lights In The Sky and the cover of Zoo Station.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    The DVD/VHS versions of "And All That Could Have Been: Live" are superior to the CD version.

Maybe it's the Dolby (digital stereo or 5.1), maybe it's something else... but yeah. That's where I stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    Oh I agree - the CD version has that weird thing too where some things sound watery especially cymbals. My only complaint with the DVD audio is that it doesn't include The Day The World Went Away as a part of the main set.
    I made a line out recording of this years ago, but does anyone have a proper rip of the audio from AATCHB?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Not really. There may be songs that I don't listen to all that much (*cough* half of Pretty Hate Machine *cough*), but I can still find stuff I like about them. I mean, there's so much crap out there, so any Nine Inch Nails song is going to look like a diamond by comparison.
    I hear you.
    I guess when I really think about it, there are aspects of THTF that I like. I wonder if it being overplayed fucked it up: I'm not sure.
    Half of PHM though, I'm different than some of you guys in that way, and it might have to do with my age.
    I LOOOOOVE ALL of that album, and I think a big part of it is because it was one of the only NIN albums available for awhile, when I was a kid, up until the MOTP single. So when I was 12 and 13 and really obsessed with music and NIN, you had your Broken, Fixed, PHM singles, and PHM. And it was sort of revolutionary for me, that album. It showed me that the same sort of production style and instruments that spawned like, Madonna and such, could be used in a different way. It sort of showed me that it wasn't JUST hip hop and traditional rock that could have some intensity and darkness about it.

I will say this, though: I don't listen to HLAH on purpose anymore. I've just heard it too many times. I'm the same way with Down In It, to a lesser extent, and I'm getting there with Terrible Lie.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Not So Pretty Now is pretty bad.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Pretty much any song that gets overplayed is going to lose its effectiveness. Since you brought up The Hand That Feeds, I hadn't listened to it in full in a year or two, but I decided to play it last week, and I still enjoyed it. It's important to give some songs their distance. I rarely play Closer anymore, but when I do, I'm totally into it. Same with a lot of the singles and other well known tracks.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I made a line out recording of this years ago, but does anyone have a proper rip of the audio from AATCHB?
    What does proper mean?

I ripped my DVD via Audio Hijack (24 bit, 192000 Hz) to AIFF and then edited it and transcoded to 24 bit 44.1 kHz ALAC. I think it sounds awesome but that doesn't mean it's proper.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

I REALLY don't like THTF. I guess I kind of convinced myself I liked it when it came out?
    But, no.
    I wouldn't say dislike, but I haven't really been feeling Underneath It All for that longest time. I kept skipping it. There are parts of that song I actually love, but as a whole I just couldn't get into it that much. So perhaps that might count in some ways.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

But, no.
    Disappointed. Running.

Hesitation Marks is the only album where I skip songs. The rest is all great.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I also forgot to mention Disappointed. Running actually grew on me though.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-08-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Not So Pretty Now is pretty bad.
    I think that's the general consensus here lol

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    No, U

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I have a few songs that no matter how many times I listen I just can't get into:

March of the Fuckheads
    Please
    Complication
    The Collector
    Love Is Not Enough
    Vessel (although I like the remixes somehow)
    Came Back Haunted
    Disappointed (minus the guitar halfway in)
    Everything
    Running
    The Lovers

There are a few other songs that I just kind of tolerate like No You Don't and Starfuckers and several of The Fragile instrumentals, but I don't flat out dislike them. The Fragile is my least favorite NIN album. that may be controversial

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

But, no.
    i've said it before and i'll say it again - capital G is the worst song trent has written and i can not stand it.

i've also said before that i much prefer the El-P remix of "only" to the original, because i don't really like the original very much.

i can't listen to find my way. i let it play the first time i listened to HM digitally, and the one time i listened to it on vinyl. after that, never again.

wow, @3knic some of those are some of my favorite NIN songs. it's always interesting how differently people feel about certain things.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i've said it before and i'll say it again - capital G is the worst song trent has written and i can not stand it.

i've also said before that i much prefer the El-P remix of "only" to the original, because i don't really like the original very much.

i can't listen to find my way. i let it play the first time i listened to HM digitally, and the one time i listened to it on vinyl. after that, never again.

wow, @3knic some of those are some of my favorite NIN songs. it's always interesting how differently people feel about certain things.
    I think Capital G has a funky feel to it, although I think the phones and switch remixes are ear bleeders. The lyrics are kind of cheesy but fit the narrative he was going for

The El-P remix of Only is definitely superior (and easily one of my favorite NIN remixes), heck the Richard X remix might be better than the original.

Its definitely interesting to see what songs people like and don't like. I've always felt like a bit of an outsider with some of my NIN tastes, but I was at a weird stage in my life when The Fragile came out. I was super heavy into NIN from 94-96 as a kid but nothing else really sounded like NIN so I started listening to rap. I thought the TPD video was weird and kind of wrote NIN off for awhile. I borrowed TF from the library in maybe 2000 and ended up skipping most of the tracks. It requires a full deep listening and I just didn't give it that chance. I didn't really give TF a proper listen until 2005 when with teeth came out. While there are some amazing songs on there, the work as a whole just hasn't really resonated with me personally. Maybe because I wasn't there for it.

I know I listed way more than tracks from TF but just wanted to give some back story. I do like Find My Way though. Takes a few listens to sink in. I think HM as a whole takes a few good listens. I did not initially like it but it has grown into one of my favorite albums over the past few years. Minus a few of the songs aforementioned

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A Warm Place (Illum Tangendo) is pretty bad. Never understood all the praise at gets on ETS.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    The opening synth pulse beat thing is my text tone.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)

But, no.
    Running, a lot of PHM falls flat for me now but I never liked Sanctified (especially the newer live version), lots of the remixes, Lights In The Sky, Discipline is a tad cheesy, The Greater Good, Another Version of the Truth, and as I’ve said before, I absolutely despise I’m Looking Forward To Joining You (Finally). It’s just drums, faint synth noise, and while the lyrics are good, they’re delivered in an understated bland way much like the rest of the song.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I absolutely despise I’m Looking Forward To Joining You (Finally). It’s just drums, faint synth noise, and while the lyrics are good, they’re delivered in an understated bland way much like the rest of the song.
    SWEET SMELL OF SUNSHINE for life.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    A Warm Place (Illum Tangendo) is pretty bad. Never understood all the praise at gets on ETS.
    I didn't know this was a thing until just now. That's.....not good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I absolutely despise I’m Looking Forward To Joining You (Finally). It’s just drums, faint synth noise, and while the lyrics are good, they’re delivered in an understated bland way much like the rest of the song.
    Aw come on, that bassline is absolutely awesome.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    I think that's the general consensus here lol
    For the record, I fucking LOOOOOVE Not So Pretty Now.

Also, @3knic ,i love LINE, and Vessel, and Please MAY well be my favorite nin track (minus the "never be enough to fill me up" bit. He didn't stick the landing.)
    BUt, good GOD, to me, most of it is utterly incredible.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Also, @3knic ,i love LINE, and Vessel, and Please MAY well be my favorite nin track (minus the "never be enough to fill me up" bit. He didn't stick the landing.)
    BUt, good GOD, to me, most of it is utterly incredible.
    Funny enough if I do like any part of Please it is the ending, and I quite like how it goes into Appendage

I forgot to mention Not So Pretty Now as a song that I do not care for. I absolutely love Non-Entity that came out at the same time but Not So Pretty Now is not so pretty!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Swykk , I don't have much love for Discipline, TBH, because of the aforementioned cheese factor, but I like it alright. I don't like "four on the floor" beats much.
    I, for instance, have a deep seated hatred of house music that I've been trying to get over for a long time. Like, I went to raves in my teens and early 20s, but i was always in the small tent: I was there for the Drum and Bass, and, to a lesser degree, the breaks (I made exceptions for Tiesto and Robert Miles and such.)

This is why I utterly fucking ABHOR the Capitol G remix - the "drop drop drop drop the bomb" thing. Good GOD. THAT is the worst NIN track, for me, by FAR. JESUS.

I don't understand the hatred for Lights in the Sky, though. It's just a pretty little piano ballad thing. Idk. It's not any kind of fleshed out, but I like it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am also a fan of it. I can only imagine that if it was touched up a little more it could have been awesome.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I don't like "four on the floor" beats much. I, for instance, have a deep seated hatred of house music that I've been trying to get over for a long time.
    Try getting over it with these. I question your credentials if you can't get into these:

The bassline at 2:03 above is filthy!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    There's nothing i dislike really (in fact i seem to like a lot of the stuff most of you seem to hate!) there's songs i'll skip depending on my mood, but nothing i actively hate.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    There's some decent house music, @bobbie solo , although I definitely prefer the dubstep version of the La Roux track.
    A lot of my trouble with house music is like a silly rivalry thing: there were the candy ravers with their glow sticks, and then there was us- the people in the dark tent who were there for the nasty, scary stuff, and hip hop sets. And we hated each other.
    It was like, idk, a sports rivalry type of thing.
    It's basically remnants of dumb shit from my teenage years, hence me trying to get over it.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    It's officially spring. Where's the Bird Box ultra deluxe vinyl-only box set?

Also, it's exactly six months until the 20th anniversary of The Fragile. If enough people start badgering TR on social media now, that's plenty of time for him to get the long-rumoured Fragile Deluxe package in the official store by September 21..

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    If enough people start badgering TR on social media now, that's plenty of time for him to get the long-rumoured Fragile Deluxe package in the official store by September 21..
    All I know is that I'm never going "badger" him for anything on social media... like, just... no.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    We need You know what you are being played again with Robin and Ilan
    They do everything better