Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Mediocre Music (not shitty music) thread

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mediocre Music (not shitty music) thread

A thread dedicated to mediocre artists --not terrible, not good, just sort of okay or blah.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Foo Fighters

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    this thread seems weird, and i'm not usually one to say threads are unnecessary.

also, i take great exception to My Chemical Romance being included in here. they're fucking great.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    this thread seems weird, and i'm not usually one to say threads are unnecessary.

also, i take great exception to My Chemical Romance being included in here. they're fucking great.
    It is a weird thread. But I think maybe every other topic has been discussed.

I really don't get the appeal of MCR, another middle-of-the-road EMO band from the 00's. Not terrible, just mediocre.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    It is a weird thread. But I think maybe every other topic has been discussed.

I really don't get the appeal of MCR, another middle-of-the-road EMO band from the 00's. Not terrible, just mediocre.
    Helena is an amazing song and the entirety of The Black Parade is just top notch. None of their other stuff has ever done anything for me though.

Also, lol @ Staind.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Helena is an amazing song and the entirety of The Black Parade is just top notch. None of their other stuff has ever done anything for me though.

Also, lol @ Staind.
    black parade is really good but i actually vastly prefer "three cheers..."

yeah, staind is not mediocre...they're bad. and aaron lewis is an asshole. who now plays terrible​ country music.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I admit that I still have a soft spot for Dysfunction and a ramdom smattering of their songs. Yesterday's chorus is really catchy and shows off Lewis' range. But yes, @eversonpoe , he is indeed a troglodyte.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

I thought the same. A shitty music thread Paints broad strokes on what you hate or dislike. To me this thread is a one foot in and one foot out of getting the nerve to call yourself a fan of a band. Either you like them or you don’t. This comes off as a weakened attempt to say I like this band but I’m embarrassed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    black parade is really good but i actually vastly prefer "three cheers..."

yeah, staind is not mediocre...they're bad. and aaron lewis is an asshole. who now plays terrible​ country music.
    Three cheers will always be their magnum opus, i still get sad thinking about how they went out with such a wimper on danger days.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I thought the same. A shitty music thread Paints broad strokes on what you hate or dislike. To me this thread is a one foot in and one foot out of getting the nerve to call yourself a fan of a band. Either you like them or you don’t. This comes off as a weakened attempt to say I like this band but I’m embarrassed.
    Not really. I'm very "meh" on every band that I listed. What you are describing is a guilty pleasure. I think that Poison is pretty bad, but I enjoy them because they are a lot of fun, whereas I think Staind are just plain mediocre, not awful, not bad really, just kind of blah, paint-by-numbers generic rock that doesn't invoke any kind of reaction from me. So I would call Staind mediocre rather than just plain shitty, imho.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-30-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Three cheers will always be their magnum opus, i still get sad thinking about how they went out with such a wimper on danger days.
    I really liked Danger Days. However that album doesn’t strike me a farewell though like it should have.

I flip flop on their best album but tend to be in the Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge camp.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @GulDukat if you post buckcherry in this thread, i'm done

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    @GulDukat if you post buckcherry in this thread, i'm done
    That's a tough one. Are Buckcherry mediocre, a guilty pleasure or shitty? I'd say they are all three, depending on the song.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    That's a tough one. Are Buckcherry mediocre, a guilty pleasure or shitty? I'd say they are all three, depending on the song.
    This sounds like some Garak would say, not Dukat

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    This sounds like some Garak would say, not Dukat
    A thousand likes! And I can hear him saying that as I read the sentence.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    best MCR is the first record, where the band's relationship to punk/hardcore is still relatively clear.

Lose me with that Queen worship stuff.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Godsmack has a handful of good songs as well, at least on their first couple of albums. Haven't listened to anything post-2002 or so.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The only mediocre thing here, is this thread.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    best MCR is the first record, where the band's relationship to punk/hardcore is still relatively clear.

Lose me with that Queen worship stuff.
    MCR were always evolving, bringing a different artistic vision to their next album. Their concepts were always coherent and with the Black Parade also quite influential in some areas - except for Weapons, which isn't an album really.

Most 'mediocre' is probably Gerards Way's solo album, but that's because it was influenced by Britpop and that genre hardly ever did anything for me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    The only mediocre thing here, is this thread.

I would add The Mighty Mighty Bostones and The Dropkick Murphys.