Page 122 of 128 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    saw this elsewhere and I hadn't quite thought about it that way but it makes sense:
    i love that republicans are all like early voting and harvesting is cheating meanwhile pointing and laughing at dems when dems complain about gerrymandering

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    saw this elsewhere and I hadn't quite thought about it that way but it makes sense:
    Because Democrats gerrymander, too? Illinois is HEAVILY gerrymandered in favor of Democrats. Not that it matters, much. The urban areas are heavily-populated and heavily-Democratic and far outweigh the Republicans statewide.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Warnock leads Walker by 4 points, 52% to 48%.

Why are White guys so dumb and vote for these assholes?
    We know the answer to that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Because Democrats gerrymander, too? Illinois is HEAVILY gerrymandered in favor of Democrats. Not that it matters, much. The urban areas are heavily-populated and heavily-Democratic and far outweigh the Republicans statewide.
    I do not know the answer to this, but do you believe both parties would equally oppose anti-gerrymandering efforts? I hear Illinois as a Dem example a lot, but looking at it the Chicago area is pretty discernable with districts spanning ~30 miles. The one highlighted below is pitting different neighborhoods against each other. Similar to Houston and Dallas below. Austin, the 4th largest city and the epicenter of Liberal Texas has 6 districts, 1 of them blue all but 1 district is 90-160 miles in length. The Texas Map below isn't even the new ones that are even more F'd. Note the 35th below is considered one of the most gerrymandered out there and it was drawn by R's that way to isolate the D vote along IH-35.

Under the new Maps my district is 2 miles wide through my area:
    My Kid's school 1 mile away is in a different district.
    My 2 nearest gas stations and grocery stores are in 2 different districts (neither mine).

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I think I'm agreeing with the assessment that Herschel Walker fits the role of the malleable stereotype that feels safe and comforting to older white people who live in GA. I don't live there, never even visited, so I dunno, but it sounds about right.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So, did you guys catch wind of THIS horrific bit of...ahem...Truth?

Donald Trump ( @burnmotherfucker! 's favorite president) wishes to Terminate...the Constitution, and be reinstated.

And I quote:

“So, with the revelation of MASSIVE AND WIDESPREAD FRAUD AND DECEPTION in working closely with Big Tech Companies, the DNC, and the Democrat Party, do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution. Our great 'Founders' did not want, and would not condone False and Fraudulent Elections!"

-Donald J Trump, The Third and Final Beast.

This is over a revelation of Twitter (aka a PRIVATE COMPANY) censoring parts of the Hunter Biden laptop story...specifically nude pics of hunter biden, in the SUMMER of 2020.

Dumb bastard is OPENLY calling for the end of the constitution.
    And, lest we forget, whatever the news says, he still has an army of supporters.

This is Election 2024 news, and FUCK ME.

I mean like...go, DeSantis?

Edit: sorry, I've been editing this for 30 fucking min, trying to get the facts straight
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-04-2022 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Thing is, even if the entire contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop had been released (it pretty much has), all Democrats and a whole bunch of OTHER people still would have voted for Biden.

Not because they love Biden, but because they HATE TRUMP.

And I suspect the same will happen in the unlikely event that “Trump Lite” aka DeSatan won the Republican primary; voters would vote for anyone who ISN’T HIM.

The Constitution contains zero rules and regulations, and only specifies that states control elections for representatives and senators and establishes the Electoral College for the election of President and Vice President.

Trump proves, again and again, that he’s a moron.

But if he wants to get rid of the Electoral College, make it happen!

If he truly “won” in 2020, then the Constitution provides that he cannot run in 2024, so that may be his big dichotomy.

Kash Patel flipped on him and was granted immunity to testify before the grand jury in the Mar-a-Lago documents case, so all this bluster is just a lot of hot air.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-04-2022 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

...If he truly “won” in 2020, then the Constitution provides that he cannot run in 2024....
    The rest of your points are great but, OH, SHIT!
    I never thought about this one!

So.I had to isolate it.

Also...DeSatan.

And I mean, he was still claiming he won, recently, so maybe someone like Roger Stone, who is actually FAMILIAR with, like, how the American gvmt works, warned him that he needed to start talking about getting rid of the constitution, if he's running in 24, and also won in 20.

Ah, 2020...simpler times. Never thought I'd be saying THAT shit.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-05-2022 at 12:17 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

Donald Trump ( @burnmotherfucker! 's favorite president)
    Hey, whoa there buddy! I NEVER said that he was my favorite. Ever. In fact I don't even really like the guy personally. I just think he made all the right decisions while in office and never told a lie and that he usually wore very long ties and that is what I want from a modern post modern president. Wouldn't you agree?

But my favorite president IS and always HAS BEEN Millard Fillmore.

and ALSO, none of this is true!

good day to you politicals : )

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Thing is, even if the entire contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop had been released (it pretty much has), all Democrats and a whole bunch of OTHER people still would have voted for Biden.
    I don't care if Joe smokes crack with Hunter, just no more Trump. Nobody loves Biden, nobody gives a shit. He's just another politician, but at least he's qualified and doesn't seem like a psychotic narcissistic dumbass.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, I love Biden.

After the crazy tumultuous shitstorm of Trump for 4 years, the folksy boring Biden is refreshing and calm. I don’t wake up going “what the fuck did he do NOW?” Biden is a lawyer, he at least KNOWS the Constitution.

The Speaker of the House thing is gonna be a real shit show next year. The voting could drag on for-ev-ah. Seems that Craven McCarthy is not gonna scare up enough votes, too many people hate him from both sides of the Republican aisle. Good luck to the poor sucker they actually DO pick! The Freedom Caucus nut jobs are gonna be continuing to waste time with Biden impeachment bills and Hunter Biden investigation bills (note that the DOJ has already been investigating Hunter Biden for over two years, and President Biden has stayed totally independent of this investigation; it’s actually looking like Hunter might get indicted for tax fraud and for some kind of charges related to lying on a firearm application, neither of which will carry huge sentences) vs. actually getting anything done for the country.

This, in turn, will bite Republicans on the ass in 2024 because it will all be ammo for the Democrats: “Two years, no plans, nothing done!”
    Last edited by allegro; 12-05-2022 at 01:32 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well, what I mean is, there's no "Biden cult," where, by this point, there definitely is a Trump cult, and it's not hyperbole to call it that. MAGA is a full-on cult, and the "leader" is dumber than dogshit.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    well, what I mean is, there's no "Biden cult," where, by this point, there definitely is a Trump cult, and it's not hyperbole to call it that. MAGA is a full-on cult, and the "leader" is dumber than dogshit.
    Sure there is a Biden cult. The mommy state democrats. I'm not affliliated with any party. Mostly I lean Democrat on social issues but not on reality issues. Really it's 2 cupcakes, one with vanilla frosting, one with chocolate. It's a pity there isn't much opportunity for some new thinking to upset the status quo. At this point the status quo is hopelessly corrupt, both sides. It's all run by the same cabal.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I dunno, I think there's a third side that's just batshit crazy. I mean when you have the National Review saying you've lost your mind maybe you've gone too far.
    National Review is an American conservative editorial magazine, focusing on news and commentary pieces on political, social, and cultural affairs.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Sure there is a Biden cult. The mommy state democrats. I'm not affliliated with any party. Mostly I lean Democrat on social issues but not on reality issues. Really it's 2 cupcakes, one with vanilla frosting, one with chocolate. It's a pity there isn't much opportunity for some new thinking to upset the status quo. At this point the status quo is hopelessly corrupt, both sides. It's all run by the same cabal.
    I'd have agreed with you, and have said as much on this very board, but it was pre trump, and pre batshit crazy culture war.

I called for ANY change to the status quo, be it right or left, and it taught me to be careful what I wish for. I didn't know it could get so rough.

I'm not a dem, either: I'm a social utopianist/left libertarian/anarcho syndicalist.
    But none of THOSE things will happen in our lifetimes.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Warnock leads Walker by 4 points, 52% to 48%.

it’s an even worse realization when these people are your so called friends and neighbors who voted red just weeks ago. at this point i think i should move from this state. when i was 5 and went to a southern christian church, uga football was brought up all the time there. a lot of people here are fanatical about it.

despite that experience, i didn’t really pay attention to this race at first. i thought surely in georgia a preacher from MLKs church and incumbent would win over the football abuser guy with no local ties. but no, i’m voting in the runoff tomorrow for the preacher again. the third time in 3 years. and i’m agnostic. one candidate is asking congress to make $35 insulin and the other is talking about vampires and erections and lives in another state. a bunch of white christians are still gonna show up and vote for walker because football yall. and that’s it. no other reason.

i’m on tons of lists apparently because everyday i’m getting calls and texts about voting. the level is near insanity. i personally don’t think it’s a good way to motivate people. i get the point but imagine 4 and 5 texts and 3 phone calls a night. it’s been like this all last week so i’ve started replying “stop” because it’s too fucking much. and i love to talk about voting but the fervor right now is something else. especially for a race that should be easy for everyone to decide.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I would be surprised if Walker wins, but we will see.

I was sad when Tuberville beat Jones, who seemed like a good guy.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post

and ALSO, none of this is true!
    I know, i know: you think the stuff about trump losing in 2020 isn't true.
    It's ok.

:P

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I know, i know: you think the stuff about trump losing in 2020 isn't true.
    It's ok.

:P
    Wait. There was an election in 2020 of the year of our lord? Nah...

Oh wait, no now I remember. Actually I voted for Hillary in that one. So the joke is on you pal!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Walker won't concede, will say the election was stolen, rife with fraud.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    ...one candidate is asking congress to make $35 insulin and the other is talking about vampires...
    What good is cheap insulin if you're fighting off vampires, who will drink your blood anyway?

Jokes aside, good god: SURELY Warnock will win.

He has his shit together, he seems to be legitimately for the people.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Sen. Raphael Warnock has won the Georgia Senate race.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Sen. Raphael Warnock has won the Georgia Senate race.
    Just saw that!

Fuck yeah!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Just saw that!

Fuck yeah!
    And Walker conceded, and expressed support for election workers.

Sen. (Dr. Rev.) Warnock is speaking now, stressing that he represents all Georgians.

I sure love this guy.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-06-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    50.4% of the vote? that's all he got? 49.6% of Georgians voted for the vampire? congratulations and all that but wow.

And I agree with Blaire:

among other tweets from her today. calling the entire state beyond hope with the rules the assholes in charge are enforcing is pretty stupid. I've done the same in the past in moments of despair and regret it. You'd think I'd know better considering where I grew up but here I am.

I cannot wait to see the breakdown of the voters.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    50.4% of the vote?
    51.1% 1,814,827 so far, to Warnock

48.6% 1,719,376, so far, to Walker

Republicans who voted for Walker would’ve voted for a toaster possessed by Satan if they could get that toaster to vote however they wanted in the Senate. Remember that a lot of that 48% simply hates all Democrats.

Also, we have to consider stuff like this:

I cannot wait to see the breakdown of the voters.
    That’s never actual data, though; it’s just exit polls.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-07-2022 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Walker won't concede, will say the election was stolen, rife with fraud.
    Glad that I was wrong. I actually thought his concession speech was pretty good, although he should have congratulated Warnock by name.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Excellent article:

Walker, Trump’s Celebrity Pick, Underscores Trump’s Fall

By Charles M. Blow

Donald Trump loved Herschel Walker.

He told him so when he “fired” him from “Celebrity Apprentice.” As Trump put it: “You know how much I like you. I love you. I love you. I am not a gay man, and I love you, Herschel. Herschel, you’re fired.”

As Walker said in an interview years ago, “I’ve known Donald before he became ‘The Donald.’ I started out with Donald Trump. I tell everyone that little Donald and little Ivanka lived with me during the summer.” He took them to Disney World, Sea World, the Bronx Zoo, “any place.”

Walker’s son Christian referred to Trump as Uncle Don.

The men were clearly close. Trump believed in Black exceptionalism — but only for athletes and entertainers.

When New York’s elite shunned Trump, he found a home in pop culture. He came to understand the currency in it and the power of it. Unlike high society, which thrived on exclusion, entertainment fed on the possibility of inclusion and economic ascendance.

Trump learned early the lucrative industry of dream selling. He learned early the power of celebrity as the embodiment of those dreams.

To him, celebrities were a class onto themselves, people who could transcend race and wealth, crossing over into the golden plane of the hero. You can admire a Black celebrity, cheer for him, be thoroughly entertained by him and never relinquish your animus for or prejudices against other Black people.

As long as those entertainers avoided any mention or invocation of race — other than to discuss their upbringing or praise a parent — even people hostile to Black people could be fans of theirs.

This is why Trump could argue that he was not racist — he could always say he had known and been friendly with so many Black entertainers. But he was friendly with them even as he was hostile to other Black and Brown people. Walker has said his warm relationship with Trump dates back to 1982, but it was only a few years later, in 1989, that Trump took out full-page newspaper ads calling for the reinstatement of the death penalty in New York, so that the Central Park Five, who were just boys at the time, would “be afraid.”

The boys implicated in the attack have since been exonerated, but Trump has refused to apologize for his ad.

Trump, like many people, is able to compartmentalize on the issue of race, segregating the masses whom he abhorred from the few he idolized.

And so, when there was a need for a Republican to run for the Senate seat in Georgia against Raphael Warnock — a man who, with the support of Black voters as well as others, shocked the political establishment in that state when he won his first Senate race nearly two years ago — Trump did a simplistic racial calculation: he knew a conservative Black acolyte who could run against the liberal Black intellectual.

He called on his old friend Walker. It didn’t matter that Walker was not a political figure or even a politically engaged person. It didn’t matter that he was wholly unsuited for any form of public office. It didn’t even matter that he didn’t live in Georgia.

Trump drafted him, and he agreed. Celebrity, Trump thought, would cover all flaws.

In the end, it did not. Trump’s brand, his celebrity worship and promulgation, was not enough to push Walker over the edge. But while Walker failed, Trump failed even worse. Unlike some races this cycle in which Trump simply endorsed a candidate, Walker was one Trump personally chose.

And even before Tuesday night, Georgia had rejected Trumpism, choosing some Republicans in November who had defied Trump’s pressure campaign to steal the 2020 election and incurred his wrath because of it.

Yes, Walker was a historically horrific candidate, but the Trump brand has also begun to sour in Georgia. This is in no way to excuse the Georgia Republicans who went along with the Walker charade, even after seeing up close that he was not only unqualified to be a senator, but likely incapable of performing the duties. They saw up close his incompetence, intellectual deficiencies and glaring defects, but they still hewed more to their partisanship than to their principles.

They twisted themselves into knots to excuse Walker, using a roundabout racism to do so. Some said that what we saw as a lack of intelligence was in fact a regional affectation: Walker speaks the way many Black people in Georgia speak.

In their construction of things, deficiency was endemic to Blackness and ubiquitous among Black people. The best that could be hoped for was a Black person who was willing to fall in line and vote with the party. Walker had proven that he would do that. He would be a willing puppet for their ventriloquism.

And he came dangerously close to winning.

This will remain a stain on the Republican Party. But Walker didn’t win. Cynicism didn’t win. Trump didn’t win.

Competence and common sense prevailed.

Last edited by GulDukat; 12-07-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

well i am relieved personally. it’s still so hard for me to accept that 1.7 million people voted for Herschel walker texas ranger (saw this on twitter hehe). there was a moment last night during the vote count that walker was leading. it only lasted 20 minutes but it was a long 20 minutes for me. warnock’s hard fought victory is the one bright spot in my 2022 election experience. the redistricting affects me more than the warnock’s senate post. a lot of elected women were drawn out of their positions. georgia is still a long way from blue.

ps: this was my 5th time voting for warnock and not the third. 5th time in just over 2 years.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, sitting there last night watching them see-saw could surely be nerve-racking, but I knew some shit was up when the news guys on the ground for CNN were saying that Republicans were telling them they weren’t making their rural numbers and things weren’t good … while Walker’s numbers looked like they were “up” on the TV set; and when they zoomed in on the Atlanta area, only like 5% of the votes were in … that’s when I was like, yeah, this shit’s over.