Page 486 of 528 FirstFirst ... 386 436 476 484 485 486 487 488 496 ... LastLast
Results 14,551 to 14,580 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Speaking of the trilogy, this album artwork always strikes me as very similar to the frontcover of Bad Witch. The fact it's also a 6 song mini-LP is funny, too.
    Never heard it. It'd be very hard to claim it wasn't an inspiration, any parallels or connections?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Never heard it. It'd be very hard to claim it wasn't an inspiration, any parallels or connections?
    It's New Wave from 1983. So in terms of style it's vastly different. But as with many albums by Nelson (who's been an influence on Bowie ca Earthling era and also worked with Gary Numan) it's also musically very adventurous. That might be a parallel. Though I would be surprised if TR ever heard it.

But judge for yourself. Here are two songs, the first one being the lead single:

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    I like that album! Never occured to me that the cover art was similar, because I owned it on a CD packaged with a different cover (from Savage Gestures for Charm's Sake, another mini-album). It's pretty, moody, new wave dreampop. Not much connection to the sound of Bad Witch (except mayyybe for the beat of "Over and Out"?)...
    Last edited by botley; 09-03-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Been thinking about this song lately, group of 6 including Justin Meldal-Johnsen who was at the time involved with/touring with NIN.

<span class="bold">

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Been thinking about this song lately, group of 6 including Justin Meldal-Johnsen who was at the time involved with/touring with NIN.

<span class="bold">
    Ken Andrews is a genius.

Fun fact: He helped with the production/mixing of "The Slip" Live at Rehearsal.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    100% agreed. and i actually love that in the live version, robin got to do those vocals, because his voice is perfect for them.
    Having Robin sing the verses for Shit Mirror during live shows was a brilliant decision. It gave the song a sort of punk urgency that I really like, and it's one of the handful of NIN songs that I prefer the live version of.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Having Robin sing the verses for Shit Mirror during live shows was a brilliant decision. It gave the song a sort of punk urgency that I really like, and it's one of the handful of NIN songs that I prefer the live version of.
    I saw it's live debut (humblebrag) and I think I just about lost it when he kicked in with the first verse.
    Was the same when I saw them do Reptile - Robin's vocals in that are phenomenal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As much as I like Trent's voice, I love hearing Robin sing on tracks like Reptile and Shit Mirror.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I always loved Discipline, but just recently I have completely fallen in love with it and I don't know why, it may be one of my favorite "Pop-ier" NIN songs ever. It is impossible to resist it, I absolutely adore how it still has a really noisy production and layers but it's so fucking catchy.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I’ve always been a fan, myself. The first licks of guitar, where it sounds really ragged, just grab me, then I’m 100% in for a solid pop romp.
    Whah instantly grabs me is that guitar too..is it guitar? I have no idea if it's just some kind of a synth, it's so dancey and electronical sounding.
    In general I really love the guitar on The Slip, I wonder what they did to make them sound like that on some tracks, especially Discipline.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Everything about Discipline is so infectious from the opening drums to the fuzzy guitar riff to Trent's vocals. There's also this great groove to it that gets your hips shaking. It's such a great song and one that could listen to on repeat and never get tired of it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's a shame we never got anything in terms of remixes for the EP trilogy. Most of the albums had remixes released for them, and Ghosts I-IV and The Slip had their multitracks released. It would have been cool to hear some variations on the material.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I suppose it is probably synth, yes. Or heavily processed guitar.
    I'd go with guitar. This song to me is just a slam drunk and under-rated (IMO). It's the perfect combo of awesome riff, harsh guitar, piano, lyric, vocal range from TR. The song is just infectious.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I was watching GoodBadFlicks on YouTube and their video on the movie Class Of 1999. It mentioned how the crew would go to local shows trying to find new music. One of the bands they met was Nine Inch Nails, who allowed them to use their music in the movie if they paid $100 per track. It mentioned how this may be the first movie to feature NIN music. A funny thing, in the movie credits, they are listed as The Nine Inch Nails. Thought that was funny with the whole third Watchmen vinyl retconning the history of NIN to TNIN.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I suppose it is probably synth, yes. Or heavily processed guitar.
    The version they do in reharsals is very different, they do open up with a guitar and the "synth" that we find so infectious comes in far later.

The Slip is just such a catchy record which grabs me instantly, the first half of it is just superb Industrial Rock fun. I always thought that The Slip was the "coolest" most "fun" record, not calling it best, but the coolest, it's the album with the sunglasses.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    it's the album with the sunglasses.
    i wish i had photoshop skills so i could slap a pair of sunglasses on the cover art haha

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For being a mostly Electro-Industrial record - Year Zero has some of my favorite guitars.

- The descending guitar at the end of Survivalism
    - "Good Soldier" outro,
    - The Warning
    - Meet Your Master's outro

Year Zero has some of the best outros in NIN discography probably. Goddamn it, I love it so much.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    On my walks, I've been revisiting the Nine Inch Nails albums I haven't lately spun as whole LPs and just did Year Zero today. There's so much to like about that album, but thirteen years later, which is hundreds of listens, and I still don't like "Vessel," though it always gets played being between the killer songs that it is.
    Heh, for the longest time that was the only track on the album that I really liked! The rest has grown on me, but Vessel is still a standout.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't cry often; but I was reading some of the comments from the NYTimes 9/11 article while listening to Ghosts V and just kinda lost it - I'm not sure if I should blame Trent for the emotions (damn you Trent!), or just getting old and realizing all the terrible things I will have to teach my daughters about our world. I'm not even sure if this is a suitable place for this but just needed to type it out.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I split off the discussion about thninchnails stuff into its own thread in the Reports & Suggestions forum.

If you want to discuss the distribution choices or argue about the moderator actions, you can do that here: https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?t=6008
    If you want to download or discuss the release content, you can do that in the original thread here: https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?t=5917

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    It's been 15 years and I still can't tap/count accurately the explosion part in Beside You in Time (studio version).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    It's been 15 years and I still can't tap/count accurately the explosion part in Beside You in Time (studio version).

it's in 4/4 but it feels a bit disjointed

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

it's in 4/4 but it feels a bit disjointed
    you could also do it (depending on where you prefer the emphasis) as:

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Actually you know what? I've tricked myself.
    The problem is only with instrumental version from apple music! I've been listening to it much more than the vocal version lately.
    Try this: after 3:11 in instrumental version, where the beat comes back, count to 32 kicks and you'll see the explosion doesn't fall on a beat like it should (and like it it does in the actual album version)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    One quarter century ago tonight, 13 year-old me attended his first concert ever: Prick, Nine Inch Nails, and David Bowie (Hershey, PA)

So jealous of that little fucker.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    One quarter century ago tonight, 13 year-old me attended his first concert ever: Prick, Nine Inch Nails, and David Bowie (Hershey, PA)

So jealous of that little fucker.
    Jesus christ, you're right. I was there, too. That was 25 years ago tonight. My first time seeing NIN and technically my first "real" concert of my choosing..

Will never forget hearing that mesmerizing version of Hurt they did together for the very first time, and how I remembered it in my head for nearly a year before I came across the Ultra Rare Trax bootleg that has the now-famous version from St. Louis on it..

Fuck..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm jealous too. My first (rock) concert was in early '07, Nine Inch Nails with Ladytron as opener. Not too shabby either. And there was all the excitement about the ARG, which was cool.
    But still, you got to see Bowie.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

not a nin spotting comments

I went and looked immediately after seeing it last night - Trent follows the account that posted this on Twitter. I would imagine this would have to be something he signed off on?

Edit: sorry - that was in reply to both Sesquipedalism and someone else that it looks like deleted their comment?
    Last edited by magnolia; 09-18-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I deleted my comment because at first I thought it was a pro-trump video, then watched it and realized i was wrong. It has that weird amateur kind of look to it and the name of the company MidasTouch threw me off. But after watching it I thankfully realized it was anti-Trump and it all makes sense now.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I haven't seen NIN live in 7 years and that really sucks.