Thread: Random General Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Okay, so what do you guys all do for greetings?

I actually tend to use "Hey__(person's first name)__," quite a lot, which is probably a tad too casual, but I find that it's a good way to start things off in a relaxed, comfortable tone. The only time I don't use this is for people I don't know well or at all, in which case I'm forced to use something else, which I usually find annoying. I'm kind of attached to my "Hey___" greetings.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Okay, so what do you guys all do for greetings?

I actually tend to use "Hey__(person's first name)__," quite a lot, which is probably a tad too casual, but I find that it's a good way to start things off in a relaxed, comfortable tone. The only time I don't use this is for people I don't know well or at all, in which case I'm forced to use something else, which I usually find annoying. I'm kind of attached to my "Hey___" greetings.
    Formal email intro:

Mr. Smith;

Informal email intro:

Hi, Ted, or

Ted,
    Last edited by allegro; 11-29-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Formal email intro:

Mr. Smith;

Informal email intro:

Hi, Ted, or

Ted,
    So are you telling me I can't keep using "Hey (name),"? NEVER? Come on.

Also, I REFUSE to use commas like that for greetings. Yes, I'm 100% aware of the grammatical explanation (direct addresses need to have the individual's name offset with commas), but I don't care because it looks weird and unnatural to me when it's placed in the greeting like that: "Hi, Ted," ... I hate it! Almost nobody uses it anyway. Even the English Profs here only use it about 34% of the time.
    Last edited by Mantra; 11-29-2017 at 09:23 AM.