Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: NTAE PC - Branches/Bones Page: BlockCode?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    I dug up some old transparency paper and printed a few different sizes. The issue is the dots on these printouts are nowhere near the size of the static in the video. That alignment isn't going to work unless they're about the same size.
    Ekhh... sad. Okay, let's think of a different appliance then))

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I started to marker some of the "characters". But now i think it's pointless, cause we need a better grid (some single blocks and :-shaped ones could be different from each other depending on the placing in the cell)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by define View Post
    I started to marker some of the "characters". But now i think it's pointless, cause we need a better grid (some single blocks and :-shaped ones could be different from each other depending on the placing in the cell)
    I had this same idea, too, but still need to finish mine grid... and then use cloudvan to try to match letters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Now the code actually speaks to me! It says

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now the code actually speaks to me! It says

This has got to be a clue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I've tried going into Photoshop and combining all of the lines of dots into one line. Looks like nothing to me, but I might be wrong. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's not photoshop, i swear

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meenahsdiamonds View Post
    Well, I've tried going into Photoshop and combining all of the lines of dots into one line. Looks like nothing to me, but I might be wrong. Thoughts?
    Yeah, i agree. Looks like nothing. But thanks for your effort! I thought about doing the same. Now i know that's not worth it...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meenahsdiamonds View Post
    Though maybe it's not supposed to be only one line... But now that i think of it the most characters there are 3x3 and to form a letter it should be like... 3x5 or something... like in "e" there's dot-space-dot-space-dot in the middle. So... it's not gonna work either way, i think

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Okay, re-made it a bit, first 5 lines now looks more readable

And it looks like we already can make a wild guess that letter with dot in the middle is A.

* I think i'll code a little script tomorrow to test it.
    Last edited by Xvostya; 07-20-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: * plans updated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xvostya View Post

And it looks like we already can make a wild guess that letter with dot in the middle is A.

This is interesting! So you decided to go with 3x5 cells... Ok! I thought it's 3x3 or maybe 3x4... Anyways. Good luck with deciphering!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If it's read left to right, top to bottom, A doesn't work well for that. The first word on the second line ends with two of those in a row. There's really no way to "solve" it in that construction to get meaningful English words (the only letters that can appear alone are A and I, and neither is likely to appear as a double letter at the end of a word). That means one of:

1) It's not in English (unlikely, unless it's numerical)
    2) The 3x5 gridding is wrong
    3) It isn't read left to right, top to bottom
    4) This approach of grouping the dots as a cipher is totally off

Edited to add: I've been staring at this on and off all day and I've not come up with anything useful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malashaan View Post
    If it's read left to right, top to bottom, A doesn't work well for that. The first word on the second line ends with two of those in a row. There's really no way to "solve" it in that construction to get meaningful English words (the only letters that can appear alone are A and I, and neither is likely to appear as a double letter at the end of a word). That means one of:

2) The 3x5 gridding is wrong
    3) It isn't read left to right, top to bottom
    4) This approach of grouping the dots as a cipher is totally off

Edited to add: I've been staring at this on and off all day and I've not come up with anything useful.
    There's also a possibility that the spacing is deliberately wrong. Maybe this "AA" is actualy the end of some word and then the start of another word... Or something (like this is not an A and it's not in the end of the word, but in a middle of it). I think there should be the way to feed this data to freq analysis script or something. Decipher it in the old-fashioned way. Like in Poe's story... uhhmm... 'Gold Bug'? Don't know the english title, sorry. But you got the idea
    Last edited by define; 07-20-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    wot in tarnation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's also a possibility that the spacing is deliberately wrong. Maybe this "AA" is actualy the end of some word and then the start of another word... Or something. I think there should be the way to feed this data to freq analysis script or something. Decipher it in the old-fashioned way. Like in Poe's story... uhhmm... 'Gold Bug'? Don't know the english title, sorry. But you got the idea
    Good point.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    How many unique characters are there?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    How many unique characters are there?
    It's too early to say. We don't even know yet which grid we should use, with 3x3 or 3x4 or 3x5 cells... in 3x3 grid the number of possible variations of ONLY ONE DOT (!!) placed in the different spots is 9. Soooo... There are enough characters for me to finish the deciphering in the mental institution.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    What I mean though, is how many are displayed on that image? Not the possible ones. I think it's pretty safe to say it's 3 wide and 5 tall looks correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe it's in Japanese?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, i don't think so. But may be it's 3x5. I think it's 3x3. How many are there depends on a grid. So i can't say for sure. What is pretty safe to say is that there are enough of those for english alphabet+punctuation, i guess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quietime View Post
    Maybe it's in Japanese?
    いいえ.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quietime View Post
    Maybe it's in Japanese?
    Infected japanese...

That would complicate things, as japanese can be written/read horizontally left to right, top to bottom; or vertically top to bottom, right to left.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    And also it's usually the combination of kanji+kana. Almost impossible to decipher, i don't think TR is such a sadist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Unless the layout is totally different too the underlying text, it's at least 3×5. If you look at the D in and on the 14th line down, there are clearly 5 rows (a chevron pointing up with three dots, then a gap, then a single dot in the bottom right).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Unless the layout is totally different too the underlying text, it's at least 3×5. If you look at the D in and on the 14th line down, there are clearly 5 rows (a chevron pointing up with three dots, then a gap, then a single dot in the bottom right).
    Could you please attach the image? I can't see it there... For me it's 3x3 with occasional (maybe random) dots outside the grid

UPD: Maybe these 4th dots are not random. Maybe it was arranged this way to... idk... leave the original text (branches/bones) readable?
    Last edited by define; 07-20-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Could you please attach the image? I can't see it there... For me it's 3x3 with occasional (maybe random) dots outside the grid

UPD: Maybe these 4th dots are not random. Maybe it was arranged this way to... idk... leave the original text (branches/bones) readable?
    This is what I was looking at:

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

What about E instead of A? Look at how many words end in that character...assuming the spacing is straightforward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is what I was looking at:
    I think it should've been like this
    1 ■
    2■ ■
    3.. ■

But in this case the right blocks would form a line dirtying the original text+making the deciphering and recognizing of this more... difficult

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Or maybe there was another reason for this. I don't know. But the majority of this symbols actually fit into 3x3 grid...

UPD. Also if the grid is actually 3x5 there're too many possible veriations of the dots. Too many for the english alphabet, i guess...
    Last edited by define; 07-20-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    What about E instead of A? Look at how many words end in that character...assuming the spacing is straightforward.
    There's "E" alone then in the 4th line. Like "[blahblahblah] E* E [blahblahblah]".