Page 90 of 150 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 4490

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You’re polluting this thread. I’ve been a Sinatra fan since before you were a zygote and I’m not going to argue this any more in this thread, it’s a stupid argument since we are primarily discussing songwriting, anyway.
    Age is completely irrelevant. Every single original Bach aficionado is dead, so what? People exposed to his work hundreds of years later can't discus his work? We are talking about being creative, and I am arguing that being a songwriter is just one, of many components.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-06-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Please take it to the Sinatra thread or PM. This place is bound to be enough of a clusterfuck with horrible mimes on the horizon.

On topic: My favorite Pre-Gish song is There It Goes, what's yours

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    well..... since this is the pumpkins thread these new tunes can't come soon enough, that's probably the best way to save this doomed tour, assuming they are good (there's always hope) and they play them live.

As far as creativity I strongly think there is a way for these guys to get it back, we as humans go through phases and once we settle with ourselves we can find a way to express it in art.
    These people such as corgan, vedder... were angry young men and that fueled their creative juices, once they push 50 that anger can/did vanish, especially as they settle comfortably with their family in their rock star world, but if they can find peace with themselves they can certainly use that as a creativity boost as well. I'd say Bono is good example of that (time will tell tho), SOE as flawed as it is seems to have open new lyrical doors for him and it's not all bad. And then we have Trent who's apparently still angry, so anger can work past 50 too!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sadly it seems like Solara is some old song Billy had been working on for a while back around the abandoned Day For Night album if you followed his old studio journal updates. I was hoping he would leave any of the material from the previous Billy solo show and use this moment to give us new work done with James and Jimmy. But I'm thinking we're gonna get a lot of these tracks he was working on repackaged as Billy, James, Jimmy, and Jeff tracks. But most of all, I am really not thrilled at all about Rick Rubin producing. Even if by some miracle, Billy pulls off some decent tracks, you can pretty much expect some glossy, safe production. Billy needs to work with a producer that can bring out that emotion like Butch Vig and, especially, Flood did.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-07-2018 at 02:05 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Three additional cities added to the end of the tour.

8/9 – London, Ontario
    9/8 – Calgary, Alberta
    9/9 – Edmonton, Alberta

Surprised to see no Vancouver!

lol jk

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    What makes no sense to me is that they’re wanting to drum up hype with new material that they’ve already advertised as not being played this tour. Put out new songs in hopes that people love them and then buy a ticket to a show where it’s guaranteed they won’t be played.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not sure if posted yet. But it looks like Metric will be the opener.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    He also described Solara at the time as a "90's rocker". Considering he's been hyping up Big Muffs since the start of the sessions I'm really curious.

And so much for that idiotic Nickleback-as-openers rumor/shitpost, thankfully.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 05-09-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Also: It's been observed that a whole mess of tour dates this fall for Peter Hook and The Light's European shows in July conflict with SP tour dates.

So who the fuck's Jack Bates playing bass for? His website lists the Light shows and not SP.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Three additional cities added to the end of the tour.

8/9 – London, Ontario
    9/8 – Calgary, Alberta
    9/9 – Edmonton, Alberta

Surprised to see no Vancouver!

lol jk

Buddy boy realllly hates Vancouver. But he'd be stupid to show his face around here after what he pulled on the last scheduled show here. I'd be staying as far away from here too if I were him.

But hey, you have a home-town show now! If you're bonkers enough to go back and visit AB that is, lol. Sometimes I'm bonkers enough to go back and visit Winnipeg, and let me tell you... it's ALWAYS the worst mistake of my life, always. Stopping off there once more this year on the way back from Europe (already regretting booking it), and never going back ever again.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'll pass.

Elsewhere, a clip and some info about BC's interview with Lars for his show is up here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Buddy boy realllly hates Vancouver. But he'd be stupid to show his face around here after what he pulled on the last scheduled show here. I'd be staying as far away from here too if I were him.

What happened?! I'm pretty curious.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
    What happened?! I'm pretty curious.
    Quick search returned this: http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...ver#post228508

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Zeitgeist gets a lot of hate, which I understand, appreciate, but disagree with. It does have some pretty great tracks. I’ve always loved “Neverlost” and “United States.”

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Zeitgeist gets a lot of hate, which I understand, appreciate, but disagree with. It does have some pretty great tracks. I’ve always loved “Neverlost” and “United States.”
    Always loved that album.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm not the biggest fan of Zeitgeist (the album) because of the packaging - all that 5 color variants bullshit, and the production (not musical, more of a tracklist issue for me).
    But I really love and enjoy the concept of the Residency Tour and Zeitgeist era songs. Some amazing B-Sides, namely GOSSAMER, also great live show soundboard bootlegs/DVD (If All Goes Wrong).
    That's The Way and Tarantula are the greatest singles from SP 2.0 as far as I'm concerned. Oceania is a better album as a whole, while Zeitgeist had more solid songwriting.
    And let's just forget Monuments for a while.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Zeitgeist (the album) because of the packaging - all that 5 color variants bullshit, and the production (not musical, more of a tracklist issue for me).
    But I really love and enjoy the concept of the Residency Tour and Zeitgeist era songs. Some amazing B-Sides, namely GOSSAMER, also great live show soundboard bootlegs/DVD (If All Goes Wrong).
    That's The Way and Tarantula are the greatest singles from SP 2.0 as far as I'm concerned. Oceania is a better album as a whole, while Zeitgeist had more solid songwriting.
    And let's just forget Monuments for a while.
    Loved Zietgiest/American Gothic/If All Goes Wrong and feel that's an underrated period for Billy/SP. Major drop in quality between those releases and the half-assed Teargarden project, and those shows sucked too. But they did bounce back with Oceania/MTAE.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Zeitgeist bothers me because it's just the worst goddamned example of bad production decisions, and this is after Zwan.

-Irritating chorus of Billies going AAAaaAAAAAA(aaaa)AAAAaAAAA that ruins Bleeding The Orchid, which I otherwise like
    -Bill's overall vocal delivery going down the tubes, he was noticeably dropping consonants left and right (come on and feelalo, wi ah staz, etc.)
    -Botched tracklist. Absolutely every one of the best songs of the period (Barring Death From Above which was way better as a piano composition) winds up a store exclusive of some sort. I just tack the title track onto the end of the Best Buy silver edition and go through the whole bloated thing, skipping the stuff I don't care for - which I'll cop to are rarely the same tracks consistently.
    -Doomsday Clock was just a lifeless awful single

-The record sounds like it's coming from inside a large hollow tin can. United States ALMOST kicks my ass but it doesn't have the punch. IIRC Billy's tried to point the finger at Roy Thomas Baker and Terry Date but he and Jimmy were responsible for the lion's share (again, see United States). They never should have been.

And it's all such a shame because the good songs on this thing are really fucking good. Neverlost, Stellar and Ma Belle rank among some of the best tracks he ever wrote, IMO. Title track is amazing. That's The Way was Bill's last great single and I love the solo breakdown. Gossamer is a beast. I find myself going back to ZG more than almost any other album these days; it's an album of missed opportunities.

What also sucks about the Machina reissue being delayed is Bill's refusal to move past it because he had once mentioned wanting to give ZG a full remix. And it would finally get an LP release. I still hope that happens someday.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    FWIW, Doomsday Clock wasn't single, although it charted. (Tarantula and That's the Way were singles). And it has second best drumming on the album (after U.S. of course).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Yeah, you're right. I think I've mentally categorized it as such due to its inclusion on the Transformers soundtrack; I listened to that thing over and over again trying to like it.

I don't have a problem with Jimmy's drumming. But the album's production does it an incredible disservice, and that track is also full of awful AAAAAAAoooooowwwww Billy chorus. The whole thing chugs along, but it's got no energy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Zeitgeist
    It ain't bad, but yes terrible production decisions. Plus missing Superchrist, my favorite post original SP track.

Teargarden
    Ehhh, I do like Astral Planes and The Fellowship, but still lacking overall.

Oceania
    It starts out strong, but quickly deteoriates. Sure, the vocal/guitar production is above Zeitgeist, but Zeitgeist has the stronger songs. Plus the drums on this are sterile and lifeless and honestly sound artificial/programmed.

Monuments To An Elegy
    I like Tiberius... hate the rest. The production is better. But the lyrics are absolutely weak, the songs are highly repetitive, ooooh look away folks, Tommy Lee is playing the drums. No journey.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A Crash Course On The Smashing Pumpkins' 'Comeback' Albums
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...albums-rundown

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    sometimes i forget about superchrist. that was actually an okay song.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Contest to attend a Los Angeles "1979 house party" thrown by SP with a performance. Yamaha Guitar to be won. Of course it's not open to residents of Quebec because of my province's fucking contest laws.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 05-14-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    People at KROQ apparently heard the new song yesterday. If radio stations are receiving it I'm guessing it's going to land any day now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    People at KROQ apparently heard the new song yesterday. If radio stations are receiving it I'm guessing it's going to land any day now.
    Did they have anything to say about it? Positive reaction or no? I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've cooked up...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Apparently Jack Bates is out?

You’re doing the Smashing Pumpkins reunion tour in place of D’arcy. There’s been some controversy around that online, have you found yourself in the firing line.

I’ve played with them a few times before ‘cause I’m mates with Jimmy. He’s sound like. Me dads known them for years. I don't pay no mind to this online stuff but I'm not doing the tour now anyhow.

Really? What happened?

Their guys said the old bass player didn’t want to do it but then there was all this drama on the old tinternet like Billy had messed her about a bit and she did want to do it. They got me because I would do it cheaper and I’m no fuss like. I wasn’t having any of that. I’m not eating another bassists dinner and I told them that. Billy got well mad and even called me dad.

He called your dad? (note: Jacks father is the legendary Joy Division / New Order bassist Peter Hook)

Yeah I was round me dads at the time. We were having a pint of best, watching some videos. Women trying to park, like the one where some birds trying reverse into a space and she flips the whole car over. Anyway the phone goes off and it’s Billy Corgan ranting and raving about contracts. Me dads just laughing at him and telling him where to go, he doesn’t take any crap from sixers. Then he puts me on and I tells Billy he’s calling the wrong bass player and maybe he should call the lass who used to play bass for him and apologise for being a swanny dickhead.

So you’re contractually obliged to perform with the Smashing Pumpkins?

I don’t care about any of that mate. I aint eating another bass players dinner, I just told you that and I told him that. He can come up here and talk about contracts if he likes I wont pay it no odds, I didn’t sign anything. Little prick will be going home in an ambulance. He sent me a letter because he’s too scared to come up and see me or me dad. I’m not taking anything off a six stringer. One punch, end of.

What did the letter say?

Oh I never seen anything like it in all my days. It started with “For whom it may concern”. The daft twat was writing to me, he knows me name but he wants to be all fancy like. For whom it may concern. Fucking hell. He said a load of guff about how big his bollocks are and that I don’t understand the powers I’m messing with and he can grow hair if he wants to, I don’t know what thats got to do with the price of milk. He’s puddled as a duck, if he lived round here he’d get sectioned. I’ll send it you, it’s bonkers.

Have you responded to the letter?

No I don’t know how you’d reply to a letter like that. I showed it me dad and we got a good laugh out of it. I dunno how you respond to a guy like that. He’s offering me out like he’s Hulk Hogan and saying all this nonsense like. I’d just send back two words “get help”. It’s the two extra strings I reckon it can turn some blokes nuts. Same thing happened to Barney.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    ^That's a Netphorian parody shitpost

And no nothing specific. Usual HEY WE JUST HEARD THIS CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT STAY TUNED FOR OUR LIST

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    ^That's a Netphorian parody shitpost

And no nothing specific. Usual HEY WE JUST HEARD THIS CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT STAY TUNED FOR OUR LIST
    Oh. Well, it did make me chuckle! (someone put some serious effort into their parody shitpost)
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 05-17-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Oh. Well, it did make me chuckle! (someone put some serious effort into their parody shitpost)
    i 100% believed that was real, honestly. too fucking funny.