Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Autechre

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Autechre

I could have sworn there was already an Autechre thread on the new ETS, but I guess not!

New album Exai out in March. Sweet.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Nice!
    Can't wait!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No way to tell if it's 100% real as of right now, but I think we can safely say it sounds pretty authentic.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I like it. Fake or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Exai is now officially available on Bleep. This is going to be a very long day at school.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Jesus fucking christ, have these people learned NOTHING from illegal downloading? It's fucking painful to buy music off Bleep.com. Whatever, I paid the money now I'm just going to get it off waffles or something.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Jesus fucking christ, have these people learned NOTHING from illegal downloading? It's fucking painful to buy music off Bleep.com. Whatever, I paid the money now I'm just going to get it off waffles or something.
    Why? I've never had a problem buying music from Bleep...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Way too many steps, an unintuitive UI, and a site which you have to register for with frequent crashing. When I finally got the download to start it went at a crawl (160/Kbs).. actually, it's still going two hours later. It took me 30 minutes just to make the purchase and start the download. I'm buying a tshirt next time and pirating. Screw this.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    that's weird. I've always found purchasing stuff through Bleep to be relatively hassle free. I still haven't bought the new Autechre album yet though. I need to get my finances in order, and I'm trying to tell myself not to buy expensive vinyl

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm about halfway through this album on headphones. Some of the tracks really aren't quite doing it for me, but others seem to have that autechre magic. Like most of their albums, repeated listens are going to be required.

Anyone else listening to this thing?

edit: the further I get the better it gets. This is fucking awesome!
    Last edited by Magtig; 02-08-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    This album is incredible.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Listening to it now and man this is first time since amber i liked one of their albums. Every track is too good and I'm only halfway though.
    Last edited by Rdm; 02-08-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    best. album. ever?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm blown away by the sound design on this. Perfect album to get lost in while you're trapped inside by relentless snow.

bladelores, t ess xi, and vekos really got me smiling on the first disc. Working through the second now.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Man that was harsh 64 dollars ! Its worth it though because this thing is fucking amazing. I have also never had a problem with bleep. This album, amok, and nick cave are all paid for, now I'm just waiting.. this has been a really good month in music
    Last edited by Rdm; 02-08-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Auteche's material from the mid 90s sounds so far ahead of its time. Heard a blistering track the other day and it was from 1998 wtf? Each record they have put out since those days has had a few good tunes, this is in my mind their most consistent one. I wish Aphex Twin was still as prolific as these guys.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Honestly, I've never disliked an Autechre album, so take my raving praise with a grain of salt, but holy fuck this album is goddamn good.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Okay, this album is just ridiculous; the perfect blend between abstract and accessible for me. And dear god, the ambient textures are incredible. It manages to be some of the most sparkling gritty work in their catalog, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Magtig; 02-08-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just downloaded a lot of material from Autechre w/ the exception of the new album. What is the best place to start with?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I just downloaded a lot of material from Autechre w/ the exception of the new album. What is the best place to start with?
    just my opinion, but...

Tri Repetae --> Amber --> Confield --> Chiastic Slide --> LP5 --> Oversteps --> EP7 --> Quaristice --> Draft 7.30 --> Incanabula --> Untilted

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for that too. I haven't really into in them since the Pi Soundtrack and Tri Repetae.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just my opinion, but...

Tri Repetae --> Amber --> Confield --> Chiastic Slide --> LP5 --> Oversteps --> EP7 --> Quaristice --> Draft 7.30 --> Incanabula --> Untilted
    All righty then. Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just my opinion, but...

Good list. But just out of curiosity, why did you put Confield before Incanabula or Untilted? Confield is my favourite, but I think it might be one of the most challenging for a new listener.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Confield is fucking genius. There are some bangin' tracks on EP7 too, but I think this new record sits along with any of their best "holy shit, what the fuck, hot goddamn" material.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    Good list. But just out of curiosity, why did you put Confield before Incanabula or Untilted? Confield is my favourite, but I think it might be one of the most challenging for a new listener.
    Confield is probably my favorite too (though really, I'm pretty eager at this point to call Exai their best album to date), but I put it third because Tri and Amber warm you up to it. To be honest, I think that Incanabula is unrefined by comparison to most of their work, and it doesn't have as developed of a "personality." For me, Incanabula is a fascinating relic... and I put Untilted last because I really do think that's their most alienating album. It's harsh, very sparse, and more so than anything else they've put out, it feels intentionally minimalist and challenging to me.

I'm not bashing anything Autechre's put out though. I love all their albums, and that list isn't a "best to worst" progression, but more of a suggestion of how to dive in.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    This album is still kicking my ass. Best album I heard in a long time. Shit is going to sell out ultra fast, the vinyl that is. Love this album to death . Tour tour tour !!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been digging through a lot of live sets, remixes and rarer tracks lately... some of which I didn't even realize existed

The Untilted era live material is absolutely unreal!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just adding +1 to the list of people praising this album. I listened once a few days ago and was impressed, now I'm listening again and I'm still impressed. This year is great for music so far.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Pitchfork gave it a 5.9, basically saying that it needs better editing. While I do think it could use a little better editing, I also think it's one of their best and they're fucking crazy.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Pitchfork gave it a 5.9, basically saying that it needs better editing. While I do think it could use a little better editing, I also think it's one of their best and they're fucking crazy.
    Pitchfork can FUCK OFF when it comes to electronic music. They have no goddamn idea what they're talking about, and the only time they get excited about an electronic album is when Boards of Canada releases an anniversary edition of Music Has the Right to Children.

Good to know that Exai isn't anywhere near as good as the new Dirty Projectors album or some bullshit.

"If you hear an interesting sound or idea from Autechre, you're bound to hear it again and again before a track's end."

OH NO! Please, fucking spare me! Anything but that! Save me and play me some fucking Wavves.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-19-2013 at 02:28 PM.