Page 177 of 216 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 175 176 177 178 179 187 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,310 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Was it ever explained why Heresy was only performed once (1994 warm up show) prior to 2007?
    It was played several times during the warm-up gigs, but disappeared once the main tour started. He probably felt like it didn't sound very good and/or fit in with the set.
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Actually it was played at least twice in 1994 - there's at least one uncirculating recording which has it in the setlist, and there's no eyewitness/setlist info on any other shows of 1994 warm up gigs so we don't know for sure.
    There are some contemporaneous reports on USENET.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Anyone knows what's that interview from Trent where he says Year Zero, the ARG, everything is part of the art and there's no distinction on that, just the medium is different ? Or some thing like that, I don't remember well.

And also, what are the narrative common points between the album and the arg ? The Presence certainly, but I didn't find an explicit list on the wiki. If anyone knows ? That would be cool.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Is there any photo / video from the 2006/07/01 Chicago radio show where they performed 4 Joy Division songs with PM?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laci View Post
    Is there any photo / video from the 2006/07/01 Chicago radio show where they performed 4 Joy Division songs with PM?
    last 3 pictures here http://www.nin.wiki/2006_Radio_Sessions

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^
    Thank you!
    I was on ninwiki yesterday, but the page of the gig doesn't have any photo, so I thought they don't have them.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    What's that relatively high pitched sound at 2:35 panned half to the left in The Mark Has Been made ? Sound like a voice coupled with a creaking chair or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is the seed0 Youtube channel known to have been made by Trent, or is it just a fan? I know seed0 is Trent's torrent username, so it's easy to assume this channel is him.
    It has 2 videos when you do a channel search filter on Youtube, but only one is publicly viewable uploaded 12 years ago:
    "Trent Reznor, Peter Murphy, TV On The Radio: Dreams".
    Anyone know about the private/unlisted second vid?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    As anyone on the web merged The Fragile and Deviations 1? Not a playlist but a new mix of the whole thing pieced together with vocals?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    As anyone on the web merged The Fragile and Deviations 1? Not a playlist but a new mix of the whole thing pieced together with vocals?
    Yes, someone right here did that... https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...483#post403483

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone interested? Row 1 Centre. Red rocks. Sept. 18.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...045#post426045

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    Yes, someone right here did that... https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...483#post403483
    I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Has anyone listened through all of the Fragility 2.0 bootlegs to determine the audio source for each song? I've been listening through them and just cannot seem to determine which performances were used for each song. Every time I think I've got a song figured out, I compare to the AATCHB version and there's a slight difference. I know the video for each song was spliced from multiple sources, but the audio wasn't...was it? I thought it was entire songs from a single performance but the entire audio experience is made up from multiple performances.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Audio was stitched as well, also partially overdubbed in the studio later. I don't think it's was explicitly explained by the band, but it seems to be a general consensus.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Has anyone listened through all of the Fragility 2.0 bootlegs to determine the audio source for each song? I've been listening through them and just cannot seem to determine which performances were used for each song. Every time I think I've got a song figured out, I compare to the AATCHB version and there's a slight difference. I know the video for each song was spliced from multiple sources, but the audio wasn't...was it? I thought it was entire songs from a single performance but the entire audio experience is made up from multiple performances.
    i'm fairly certain they mixed and matched audio tracks between performances. most of the songs are played to a click track/backing, so they're always at the same tempo, which makes it a lot easier to do something like that.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Surely they didn't cut between performances mid-song, did they?

And is it confirmed that they overdubbed in studio? Overdubbed what? Surely a re-recorded section would stick out like a sore asshole.
    Last edited by butter_hole; 08-31-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: im a little drunk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Surely they didn't cut between performances mid-song, did they?
    it's more like they could take robin's guitar from one show, jerome's drums from a different show, charlie's theremin from yet a third show, etc. and make it sound like it's all from a single show because everything is individually recorded in multi-track format. and it's also possible that, say, trent's vocals for one section of "wish" sounded super powerful in one location, but the rest of the song wasn't punching as hard, so they grabbed them from a different show. this is pretty common practice in the studio and when you record the way they did on that tour, it's just as simple to do with live performances that are all the same tempo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    And is it confirmed that they overdubbed in studio? Overdubbed what? Surely a re-recorded section would stick out like a sore asshole.
    It’d probably be easy to construct something homogenous in the case of NIN, since every sound is based on a certain preset. Think about it – how many times have you heard the sound of a guitar in one song, or a synth in another, change during a tour, or seen someone go turn a knob on an amp? Zero. All the sounds are pre-programmed.

Every NIN tour since Self-Destruct basically just took a studio out on the road. Re-recording certain bits merely requires you to record with the same setup. For all we know, some songs could have bits and pieces from soundchecks spliced in. And no assholes were hurt during the process.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm fairly certain they mixed and matched audio tracks between performances. most of the songs are played to a click track/backing, so they're always at the same tempo, which makes it a lot easier to do something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's more like they could take robin's guitar from one show, jerome's drums from a different show, charlie's theremin from yet a third show, etc. and make it sound like it's all from a single show because everything is individually recorded in multi-track format. and it's also possible that, say, trent's vocals for one section of "wish" sounded super powerful in one location, but the rest of the song wasn't punching as hard, so they grabbed them from a different show. this is pretty common practice in the studio and when you record the way they did on that tour, it's just as simple to do with live performances that are all the same tempo.
    Wow. That's both awesome and somewhat disappointing but it totally makes sense, especially knowing what a perfectionist Trent is. It's only disappointing in the sense that it's not a "true" performance but really cool that each song is the best possible version it could be.

I do recall reading something (probably on the old pre-crash ETS) about Robin's guitar being re-recorded after the tour for certain parts of songs but maybe I'm just making that up...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    About 20 years ago I thought I remember seeing a music video that showed a doll that looked like Trent riding a pig and Trent had his long hair and a NIN symbol on his chest. I thought it was a Skinny Puppy video but I can't find it anywhere. Anybody know if this exists or was it just a weird dream?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    About 20 years ago I thought I remember seeing a music video that showed a doll that looked like Trent riding a pig and Trent had his long hair and a NIN symbol on his chest. I thought it was a Skinny Puppy video but I can't find it anywhere. Anybody know if this exists or was it just a weird dream?
    I believe you're thinking of Ohgr "Cracker".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    I believe you're thinking of Ohgr "Cracker".

Thanks, that's it! That's funny, I've been listening to a lot of ohGr these days and saw them live a couple of weeks ago, but haven't checked out that video until you mentioned it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Dumb question: So I saw the Rage (Australian TV) tweet about it 'being 30 years since Trent Reznor started recording Nine Inch Nails tracks'. Does anybody know if this is based on a particular date being set somewhere, or its it just a case of 'he probably started working on them around about now in '88'?

I see nin.wiki refers to the Purest Feeling demo as being recorded in November '88, and if that's the case then I guess it's fair to say he had written a chunk of the material by September. Not sure I have the energy to trawl through old interviews to try and find more, but perhaps somebody here is nerdy enough to know if any firm dates are officially known from that era?

I'm happy to wait until September 2019 to have my own NIN is 30 party anyway, but still, I'm curious.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Dumb question: So I saw the Rage (Australian TV) tweet about it 'being 30 years since Trent Reznor started recording Nine Inch Nails tracks'. Does anybody know if this is based on a particular date being set somewhere, or its it just a case of 'he probably started working on them around about now in '88'?

I see nin.wiki refers to the Purest Feeling demo as being recorded in November '88, and if that's the case then I guess it's fair to say he had written a chunk of the material by September. Not sure I have the energy to trawl through old interviews to try and find more, but perhaps somebody here is nerdy enough to know if any firm dates are officially known from that era?

I'm happy to wait until September 2019 to have my own NIN is 30 party anyway, but still, I'm curious.
    I don't think they're specifying a day, just the year, and it's probably based on what you already looked up.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    NIN made their live debut in Fall 1988 as an opening act for Skinny Puppy, almost a year before PHM was released. So yeah, celebrating 30th Anniversary this year is totally valid.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Does anyone still have a copy of the pictures of the endorsed paychecks from Bart Koster to Trent that were sold a few years ago on eBay? That would have a date on it that would indicate Trent's time at The Right Track.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Whatever happened to that music video they were making? It was learned through that photographer's instagram photo that Trent and co. were doing a music video for Bad Witch but we have yet to hear anything about it. Scrapped maybe?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Whatever happened to that music video they were making? It was learned through that photographer's instagram photo that Trent and co. were doing a music video for Bad Witch but we have yet to hear anything about it. Scrapped maybe?
    With NIN, I just assume everything is scrapped until it comes out. I feel like less than half of everything announced since the 90s has actually been released.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Does anyone still have a copy of the pictures of the endorsed paychecks from Bart Koster to Trent that were sold a few years ago on eBay? That would have a date on it that would indicate Trent's time at The Right Track.
    9/14/1987

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Well, there you go. Trent was in The Right Track as of late 87, so work on what would eventually become NIN tracks could have started as early as then.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Well, there you go. Trent was in The Right Track as of late 87, so work on what would eventually become NIN tracks could have started as early as then.
    Was that the janitor, use studio at night deal? Trent is a regular Good Will Hunting.