Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent Hill

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I installed the patch on the ps3.. SH2 looks the same really.. less frame rate drops though and a bit smoother, SH3 however seems to look much better. The trouble seems to me that the fog effect just doesn't work that well with the higher resolution, in 2 its kinda obvious that the fog is not so much a volume, but a clear line in the draw distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In some of the earlier Silent Hill games, the fog was often intentionally thick in order to disguise unfinished or crappy texture work in the game world. In the HD remake, they lessened the fog and fixed the crap textures. The lack of fog was intentional to show off the "HD" in the remake. Unfortunately, they didn't take into consideration how much this changed the atmosphere. I will still probably pick up the HD collection at some point though because I have not finished any SH game.

I played SH: The Room, but I did not have time to finish it, and the enemies that constantly re-spawned sort of aggravated me. However, I did find the concept cool...that's the thing about SH games, despite the shitty parts of them, there is almost always a cool factor that makes you want to keep playing. Usually, the "cool" factor involves the atmosphere, weird shit, and trying to figure out what the plot is or what's "wrong" in the game world.

I played the original Xbox version of SH2 on Xbox 360. BE WARNED - there is a bug in that game that occurs for some players (like me). You'll play the game for about 2 or 3 hours, and then you get to a point, in a bar, I think, that won't let you progress or save. So, you're better off playing HD remakes than trying the backward compatible version. That backwards compatibility bug is why I never finished the game. I own Homecoming and Downpour, but I've never had time to finish either of them.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Silent Hill coming as a live attraction to Universal's 'Horror Nights'.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The first 30 minutes of Homecoming are already better than Downpour. But I can definitely see where people are saying it's trying too hard to be like the movie, heh. I hope the rest of the game holds up! This item menu is complete trash, though. That's the only gripe I've got with it so far.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've just started playing Downpour, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it apart from some glitches, frame rate slowing etc which is quite annoying.

love the patrol car side quest - the sound is good, find the monsters actually quite scary

One of the worst things though, is the way you endlessly pick up and drop weapons - as I'm playing on easy I went for an hour or so without encountering an enemy but I went to pick things up (because it's Silent Hill and you could miss some important item) and would end up replacing a good pick axe with a crappy rock or something over again - irritating

Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    The first 30 minutes of Homecoming are already better than Downpour. But I can definitely see where people are saying it's trying too hard to be like the movie, heh. I hope the rest of the game holds up! This item menu is complete trash, though. That's the only gripe I've got with it so far.
    In Homecoming I loved the combat system in the end, it was quite satisfying. However those fuckers with the swinging axe heads, I found them insanely difficult for some reason
    Last edited by WorzelG; 11-04-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love Homecoming but I still need to beat it. Downpour just got a patch last week as well, about time.

I also have HD Collection to beat.

I love Silent HIll and want to beat all these but frankly I'm not very good at them though haha...ugh.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 11-04-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    WTF? One of the enemies in Silent Hill Downpour is a blow-up sex doll???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm about 10 hours into Downpour and I really like it. The combat system sucks but I feel it adds to the desperation of avoiding fights and running. I haven't played this series since SH2 but now I might have to go back and pick up some of the Silent Hill titles I've missed.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The SH3 soundtrack s pretty stellar. It was the very first thing I'd really been exposed to from the Silent Hill franchise - Stole some music from a friend's hard drive, and he said, "Even if you don't play the games, you'll love the music." Akira Yamaoka is just brilliant.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Is it bad, I have the Silent Hill HD Collection and haven't touched it after starting and saving the game once on both games the week the collection came out?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I played a little bit of the second game, then wandered off... Maybe give it another try, "soon".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Is it bad, I have the Silent Hill HD Collection and haven't touched it after starting and saving the game once on both games the week the collection came out?
    I have the Xbox 360 version which sadly never got patched. Has some serious issues but I played through them all none the less and looked through the ugly parts and still managed to love them all the same. I tend to do the whole playing once and never return to it thing to a lot of games though. I still have to get through Downpour now that I think of it...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I remember when SH3 came out, there's that scene at the very beginning of the game where you're in an alleyway and that awesome chillwave music starts playing on loop. I bought the soundtrack CD just for that two-minute snippet of music and made an 80 minute CD of just that track playing like 40 times in a row, for driving.
    I always love that part of the game when I play it. Easily one of the most relaxing parts of any game I've played, no joke. I love the whole game, of course.

I discovered the music before I got back in touch with the series in 2008/9. I will always be so grateful I discovered this series; it's part of my world.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    So many cool things about this but above all: the interactive trailer.

Im looking back at my life as a gamer just... WATCHING... Teasers and trailers. Like a fucking idiot.

Groundbreaking.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Silent Hill

Kojima. That is all. People can talk shit but he ALWAYS delivers.

Unfortunately, I just read this is PS4 only.

Oh well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    God dammit. That moment when you first get MAJOR freaky hijiki goosebumps? I'm high as shit and now I wanna hide under my blanket.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The P.T. was fuckin scary....seriously there were many moments that gave me chills. Such great atmosphere. THIS is the game I am most excited for at the moment as I have been a Silent Hill fan since the first installment.

Still trying to figure out that last looping hallway in the P.T. though.....damn phone won't ring.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Definitely no hand holding in that demo which is a good thing but Spoiler: haha I can see a lot of people turning off the game at that bathroom scene thinking there's nothing left to do because unless it's by chance that you even get as close as required to the mirror after looking at the demon fetus for however long you're just going to stand around in there derping around doing 360s in the joint forever, i actually noticed a few streams of people in that situation and all they had to do was flush themselves with the mirror but they were standing just far enough away and figured all they had to do was zoom in to things, of course i kept shouting GET CLOSER TO THE MIRROR FFS!!

Amazing details and atmosphere, wish there was a bit more interactivity and animation like seeing your arm come out in front of you as you try to open a door or maybe pick something up to investigate. I'm sure the finished game will have a lot more to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Super intrigued by the news. I've only ever played the first Metal Gear Solid and seen a few of del Toro's films, but I'm still very excited. No PS4 here, though.

Watching the demo gameplay footage was super creepy. I haven't been that bothered by a game in a long time.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I would've been happy just knowing this franchise isn't dead, but with those two guys involved, its on.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I seriously need to finish a SH game...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Kojima. That is all. People can talk shit but he ALWAYS delivers.

Unfortunately, I just read this is PS4 only.

Oh well.
    I kinda doubt this game is a PS4 exclusive. This hasn't been officially confirmed anywhere...not that I have seen. My guess it that P.T. was an exclusive but the actual game will probably be multiplat. But again that is just a guess. Until its status is officially confirmed we don't know. So don't give up hope yet man.
    Last edited by Tums206_BFY; 08-15-2014 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Never played any SH game although I always wanted to. Love the music! (If you don't know "Terror in the Depths of the Fog" from the 2nd game, you should check it out right now!)

I don't know, I kinda fear that those games are a bit too old now. Is SH1 really a good place to start? Is there any way to play it on a PC?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Uh, so this could have been the best thing all year but the sokutions, especially towards the end really are stupid. Nothing pulls you out of the game like having to look up the sokutoon because it involves a stupid fucking microphone.

Great atmosphere, great graphics. This demo is a good game all by itself but the stupid solutions sink the whole. I want to have to be clever to solve puzzles, not psychic.

Hope Kojima doesnt ruin this with his Kojimaness.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Never played any SH game although I always wanted to. Love the music! (If you don't know "Terror in the Depths of the Fog" from the 2nd game, you should check it out right now!)

I don't know, I kinda fear that those games are a bit too old now. Is SH1 really a good place to start? Is there any way to play it on a PC?
    SH1 is the BEST and ONLY place to start IMO
    The game is incredible because the controls are so bad and the graphics are so shitty. It's honestly a work of art.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tums206_BFY View Post
    I kinda doubt this game is a PS4 exclusive. This hasn't been officially confirmed anywhere...not that I have seen. My guess it that P.T. was an exclusive but the actual game will probably be multiplat. But again that is just a guess. Until its status is officially confirmed we don't know. So don't give up hope yet man.
    IGN has the publishers listed as Konami and SCEA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo

The series as a whole is massively inconsistent, the continuity is so shoddy and at odds with itself that I tend to view everything after SH4 as a Western reboot rather than a direct continuation (though that's more to do with the series being handed to different developers for each new title). SH1 and 3 are pretty much essential if you want to follow the storyline, while SH2 set the standard for everything that the series has come to be known for, and is still my all time favorite game. Origins tried hard to complement the first game, but fell short by a long mile by totally misinterpreting the lore and actually contradicting itself in-game. Homecoming and Downpour, the most recent addition, were like straight-to-DVD horror movies they were so bad (IMO).

PT looks cool and really reminds me of the first-person segments from The Room, I think a big-budget release is exactly what this series needs. There's not really been a big buzz about Silent Hill since 4 came out IIRC, and even then interest the series was already dwindling. I've always felt it's a series that a lot of people recognize the name of, but haven't actually had much exposure to the games themselves.
    Last edited by Trains; 08-16-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I've only played some of SH1, 2, and Downpour. Didn't get very far in the first two, and a decent ways into Downpour.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ive been stuck on 2 here and there since HD came out. Its my first time.

I think in january i was almost through the hospital but now i have to go through the hospital again? Thats the hard part about oicking it uo again.