Page 437 of 527 FirstFirst ... 337 387 427 435 436 437 438 439 447 487 ... LastLast
Results 13,081 to 13,110 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    One of the women from HR said she wasn't familiar with the band. The director then asked me what NIN's most popular song was.
    Since you were afraid to tell her about Closer, you should have mentioned the much safer Even Closer (f. Justin Timberlake & Maynard James Keenan)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The director of the agency I work for stopped by today along with a couple women from HR. The director noticed the NIN shirt I was wearing and commented on it. One of the women from HR said she wasn't familiar with the band. The director then asked me what NIN's most popular song was. I declined to answer the question. I figured it was probably best not to tell anyone from HR about NIN's most popular song.
    Johnny Cash’s “hurt” is a safe bet

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Or better yet, they should play the (where is everybody) remix!
    That remix is one of my favorite songs of all time.
    and i don't mean NIN songs. i'm talking favorite songs full stop.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Ok, I just saw this posted on Instagram by the NIN live archive account. Does anybody know what that lavender shirt on the right is? I haven’t seen that before and was wondering what it looked like unfolded. https://www.instagram.com/p/BmT0NP3D...d=7ll1r1zjmy3k

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Ok, I just saw this posted on Instagram by the NIN live archive account. Does anybody know what that lavender shirt on the right is? I haven’t seen that before and was wondering what it looked like unfolded. https://www.instagram.com/p/BmT0NP3D...d=7ll1r1zjmy3k
    it's the cover of my bloody valentine's loveless, faded with the title above.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm taking a wild guess here but that looks a WHOLE LOT like the cover of the Loveless album by My Bloody Valentine.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...927#post424927
    That's actually my pic, here's the full version

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    it's the cover of my bloody valentine's loveless, faded with the title above.
    Oh I didn’t realize that table had other bands merch on it too. I got excited for a second and thought there was new NIN stuff!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I haven't had a NIN song grow on me so much quite like "God Break Down the Door" has.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really don't like how there's no live drums on Only anymore in live performances. I loved that version from the 2013 shows where it was the same intro as the album version but with Ilan playing it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I really don't like how there's no live drums on Only anymore in live performances. I loved that version from the 2013 shows where it was the same intro as the album version but with Ilan playing it.
    i just want them to play the El-P remix of it live because it's so much better

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I found the Perfect Drug single at my local record shop today! I didn't know the Australian version included the original mix along with the other remixes. It was an awesome surprise to stumble across it!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    I found the Perfect Drug single at my local record shop today! I didn't know the Australian version included the original mix along with the other remixes. It was an awesome surprise to stumble across it!
    Lucky bastard

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Trent is very smart doing the shows in Asia. Once they love you over there, it never goes away.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It dawned on me today that it's actually been a couple of years since I listened to "Hurt". I guess between listening to TDS a thousand times, then the Cash cover, then just generally hearing references to it in pop culture for years I needed a bit of a break from it.

Re-listening to songs that are emotionally powerfully after not hearing them for a while sort of brings the magic back of hearing them for the first time. What a beautiful, haunting, song: really kind of wrenches your soul.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Listening to "And All That Could Have Been" today, I think I know why it may have been left off of The Fragile. Structurally, it's fairly similar to "The Day The World Went Away". You have a quiet beginning that heads into a wall of fuzzed-out guitar and plodding drums, followed by another quiet section (the former features loud strumming guitar in this section, which is where it breaks away from the structure), then finishing with an even bigger wall of fuzzed-out guitar and plodding drums. As an experiment, try singing the final lyrics to AATCHB in your head in time to the end of TDTWWA and you might see what I mean. Anyway, it would seem that there was only space for one song like that on the album, and AATCHB lost out in the end.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Listening to "And All That Could Have Been" today, I think I know why it may have been left off of The Fragile. Structurally, it's fairly similar to "The Day The World Went Away". You have a quiet beginning that heads into a wall of fuzzed-out guitar and plodding drums, followed by another quiet section (the former features loud strumming guitar in this section, which is where it breaks away from the structure), then finishing with an even bigger wall of fuzzed-out guitar and plodding drums. As an experiment, try singing the final lyrics to AATCHB in your head in time to the end of TDTWWA and you might see what I mean. Anyway, it would seem that there was only space for one song like that on the album, and AATCHB lost out in the end.
    i don't know if i agree

there's no drums in the studio version of TDTWWA
    the verses of AATCHB are in 13/8
    emotionally, TDTWWA is triumphant and AATCHB is filled with despair

i think it's simply more likely that the song wasn't composed (or at least not completed) until after the fragile's release. i feel like if it had been around during the sessions for the fragile, we would have gotten some kind of instrumental version of Deviations. it's such a unique piece of music in the NIN canon and i'm actually glad it wasn't on The Fragile because it fits so perfectly on Still.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't know if i agree

there's no drums in the studio version of TDTWWA
    the verses of AATCHB are in 13/8
    emotionally, TDTWWA is triumphant and AATCHB is filled with despair

i think it's simply more likely that the song wasn't composed (or at least not completed) until after the fragile's release. i feel like if it had been around during the sessions for the fragile, we would have gotten some kind of instrumental version of Deviations. it's such a unique piece of music in the NIN canon and i'm actually glad it wasn't on The Fragile because it fits so perfectly on Still.
    agree with you 100%. AATCHB is one of my all time favs. If the notes are similar to TDTWWA (another all time favorite) it may be intentional. Like a reprise for side 2, but probably not. It is a very unique song for sure. We have an odd NIN guitar sound in the beginning, the beat is made of weird sounds, we have what sounds like acoustic guitar (or a parker fly) in the middle (my favorite part), the huge final chorus. Its perfect.

The song that reminds me of it, almost to the point of a rip off, is grand canyon by MJK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    The song that reminds me of it, almost to the point of a rip off, is grand canyon by MJK.
    IMO, MJK wishes he was TR...and is farrrrr from it. Give me the worst NIN song over the best Pucifer song any day.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I love the Zoo Station cover even more than I used to.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I love the Zoo Station cover even more than I used to.
    Definitely the most underrated cover in the NIN catalog.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    And All That Could Have Been > The Day The World Went Away

And All That Could Have Been should have closed The Fragile in my book.

I like Ripe (With Decay), but after the two disc opus that is The Fragile, I feel it's bit of a blah ending. And All That Could Have Been is quite powerful and moving and shows in the end that he is still fragile and broken.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-15-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    And All That Could Have Been > The Day The World Went Away

And All That Could Have Been should have closed The Fragile in my book.

I like Ripe (With Decay), but after the two disc opus that is The Fragile, I feel it's bit of a blah ending. And All That Could Have Been is quite powerful and moving and shows in the end that he is still fragile and broken.
    It's possible it wasn't written during The Fragile sessions, due to it being included on a release that happened a full 3 years later.

Unless it's a confirmed outtake from The Fragile

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    It's possible it wasn't written during The Fragile sessions, due to it being included on a release that happened a full 3 years later.

Unless it's a confirmed outtake from The Fragile
    I’m pretty sure in an interview Trent mentioned it not being part of The Fragile sessions.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I wonder which tracks on Still are Fragile outtakes then?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    "Adrift and At Peace" would be, TR said it's the so-called conclusion to (and probably originally was recorded as a variation on) "La Mer", though that's it as far as official confirmation goes. The other original tracks were all started and finished in 2001 as far as we know.
    Last edited by botley; 08-16-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    How am I now only hearing this song?? Jesus it's like PHM's long lost twin.

Sister Machine Gun - Sins of the Flesh

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Hard to say. "Adrift And At Peace" seems possible since Trent mentioned that it serves as a conclusion to La Mer. My guess is that the other instrumentals were pieces that evolved from the aborted One Hour Photo score.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow spotify is hitting me with NIN style songs today; and some similarities....

FRONT 242 - Tragedy >For You<

SOUNDS LIKE

'Happiness In Slavery - Remix' (Fixed) starting at 1:50
    Last edited by snaapz; 08-16-2018 at 12:38 PM.