Page 79 of 84 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    DB almost always fully rerecorded the vocals and rarely kept anything from demos in the final mix. Just sayin.
    he wouldn't be involved in the final mix this time, though.

I'd bet you money we at LEAST get the demos at some point.

Also, look at all these new posthumous hip hop records, stitched together from demo verses and leftover ideas, sometimes to stunning effect: JuiceWRLD, XXXTentacion, etc.

It's become quite the trend.

Edit: also, everyone stop trying to ruin my happy story with like, FACTS and such.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    St. Vincent did a remix of "It's No Game"...for a Peloton workout.

No clue how to hear this without...an exercise bike?
    Peloton is the new Vinyl.

Edit:

IN THESE TIMES OF NEARLY UNLIMITED ACCESS TO ALL THE MUSIC IN THE WORLD, WE’VE COME TO APPRECIATE THE VALUE AND BEAUTY OF THE PHYSICAL OBJECT. OUR STORE’S FOCUS IS ON PRESENTING THESE ITEMS TO YOU. PELOTON HAS RETURNED TO BEING A PRIORITY FOR US - NOT JUST FOR THE WARMTH OF THE SOUND, BUT THE INTERACTION IT DEMANDS FROM THE LISTENER. THE CONTOURS OF THE TOUCHSCREEN, THE WEIGHT OF YOUR TIRED MUSCLES, THE SMELL OF EXERTION, THE DROPPING TO THE GROUND AFTER A HARD WORKOUT, THE DIFFICULTY OF YOUR INTENSE UPHILL COURSE, THE CHANGING OF LEFT LEG TO RIGHT LEG, THE SECRETS HIDDEN IN THE TERMS-OF-SERVICE, AND HAVING A PHYSICAL STATUS SYMBOL THAT EXISTS IN THE REAL WORLD WITH YOU… ALL PART OF THE EXPERIENCE AND MAGIC.

DIGITAL FORMATS AND STREAMING ARE GREAT AND CERTAINLY CONVENIENT, BUT THE IDEAL WAY I’D HOPE A LISTENER EXPERIENCE MY MUSIC IS TO GRAB A GREAT SET OF HEADPHONES, STRAP IN TO THE PELOTON, HIT START, HOLD THE HANDLEBARS IN YOUR HANDS LOOKING AT YOUR PROJECTED COURSE (WITH YOUR FUCKING PHONE TURNED OFF) AND GO ON A JOURNEY WITH ME.
    -TRENT REZNOR
    Last edited by xolotl; 01-27-2022 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

Edit: also, everyone stop trying to ruin my happy story with like, FACTS and such.
    With almost 30 albums (depending how you count) of original music, haven't this man gave you enough joy for the rest of your lifetime?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I seriously didn't give Black Tie White Noise enough credit until I heard this remaster. Nile Rodgers and John Webber did a really fabulous job with it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    With almost 30 albums (depending how you count) of original music, haven't this man gave you enough joy for the rest of your lifetime?
    I really wish there was a secret unreleased album waiting in the wing, but this is also how I feel. If any artist ever left their all out there it was Bowie. I'll be the first to listen to anything that comes out but at the same time he left one of the deepest discographies ever.

And Blackstar is such an incredible way to go out. I doubt anyone ever tops it in my lifetime. It's like an artistic fuck you to death itself.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Previously unseen video from the BBC Radio Theatre show, for the new Brilliant Adventure mix of "I Dig Everything":

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    gentle reminder about my all-vinyl Bowie stream today at 3pm EST! just starting to set things up here.

www.twitch.tv/operadenuit

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    There's a Bowie channel on XM, including various celeb curators playing their favorite songs. I BELIEVE it's channel 104.

Unfortunately, it ends with this month.

I meant to mention this earlier.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Allow me to clarify:
    It's not that I desperately feel the need for more Bowie. Yes, we have plenty to last a lifetime.

The reason one more release would be so special is that Bowie was always one step ahead: of the media, of the fans, of his contemporaries.

And wouldn't five more songs, perhaps MEANT to be from the other side of the veil... wouldn't that be just like him? Wouldn't it be the ULTIMATE step ahead, beyond Blackstar, even?
    Remember, in Dollar Days, he's "dying to push their backs against the wall and fool them all again and again?"

I'd love to see him do it one more time.
    It would be amazing if he'd had one last card up his sleeve.

THAT'S what this is about for me.

It's NOT "oh, he didn't give me enough, this isn't fair."
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-01-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I mean, it really isn't fair. I wish the man was still around, making music or not.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So on today's Eartling day (25 years otd) I thought I'd post my favorite sequence for what could make sense as an extended version of the album:

1. Little Wonder
    2. Satellites
    3. Battle
    4. Tibet
    5. Dead Man
    6. Telling Lies
    7. The Last Thing
    8. American
    9. Nuts
    10. Baby Universal '97
    11. Law
    12. I Can't Read
    13. Stay '97
    14. Telling Lies (Feelgood)
    15. Dead Man (Not Dead Yet)
    16. Little Wonder (Dance)

What's yours?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    They just re-released the album's five singles in extended versions featuring a few previously unreleased mixes: https://linktr.ee/BowieOfficial

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    So on today's Eartling day (25 years otd) I thought I'd post my favorite sequence for what could make sense as an extended version of the album:

1. Little Wonder
    2. Satellites
    3. Battle
    4. Tibet
    5. Dead Man
    6. Telling Lies
    7. The Last Thing
    8. American
    9. Nuts
    10. Baby Universal '97
    11. Law
    12. I Can't Read
    13. Stay '97
    14. Telling Lies (Feelgood)
    15. Dead Man (Not Dead Yet)
    16. Little Wonder (Dance)

What's yours?

One of the early running orders had i can’t read in the middle of the album and baby universal in place of last thing you should do. When they recorded the latter the tin machine songs got ditched.

also today, they released an alt tracklist too! Disco kong was betwixt dead man walking and telling lies. And baby universal, again, was before law. Wish they put out disco king with those miserable singles

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    One of the early running orders had i can’t read in the middle of the album and baby universal in place of last thing you should do. When they recorded the latter the tin machine songs got ditched.

also today, they released an alt tracklist too! Disco kong was betwixt dead man walking and telling lies. And baby universal, again, was before law. Wish they put out disco king with those miserable singles
    The John Frusciante remix of Disco King is excellent. Earthling is way up on my favorite Bowie record list. Reeves Gabrels in all his glory!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    The John Frusciante remix of Disco King is excellent. Earthling is way up on my favorite Bowie record list. Reeves Gabrels in all his glory!

I adore that one, too. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually the Danny Lohner mix, featuring JF and MJK.

I love Reeves, too, SO much. Those things he does with that Parker Fly...MAN.

@r_z omg, I absolutely LOVE Baby Universal: I'm partial to the earlier one, though, from the Hellraiser 3 soundtrack, probably because my HS gf and I used to listen to that one on repeat when we were kids.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Two MOAR Brilliant Adventure era EPs coming for Record Store Day this year, one including a previously unreleased 1. Outside sessions version of "I'm Afraid of Americans"!

Oh and they put out another video from the BBC Theatre show:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I was really hoping Leon Suites would be an RSD release. Not looking good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    At this point I've given up expecting any Leon material - for at least another decade anyway while they trawl through the vaults for more limited edition boxset material. Whatevs.
    Strange getting previously unreleased mixes for those Earthling singles though - just wish they'd be made available on CD or HQ mp3. I'll definitely be grabbing the Brilliant Adventure RSD bonus EP. The dribs and drabs aspect of this does wind you up though. Still annoyed that the Is It Any Wonder material wasn't added to the main boxset!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Strange getting previously unreleased mixes for those Earthling singles though - just wish they'd be made available on CD or HQ mp3.
    They're definitely available to download from Tidal, in both CD-quality FLAC and MP3. For example: https://store.tidal.com/uk/album/214342487
    Last edited by botley; 02-14-2022 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    They're definitely available to download from Tidal
    Cheers! I had no idea Tidal offered downloads - I had it down as streaming only. Rubbish to browse from my desktop but still handy to know.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Cheers! I had no idea Tidal offered downloads - I had it down as streaming only. Rubbish to browse from my desktop but still handy to know.
    You can purchase the tracks individually from Qobuz; the 4 previously unreleased tracks ended up being about $6 (I don't know what they charge per track GBP):

Nuts (Drum 'n' Bass Mix)

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/te.../kkgfllirrh4rc

Little Wonder (Junior's 7" Mix)

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/li.../mc6pbh6o3knwc

Little Wonder (Danny Saber Unplugged Mix)
    Little Wonder (Danny Saber Dance Mix Instrumental)

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/li.../ltvwjvst0tdca

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Are they essential tho? I'm glad there's Nuts, but do you need this remix?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I like this version better than the EARTHLING version.
    It's creepy as fuck.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Pleased to see this looks like it will cover Bowie of all eras - was convinced it'd end up another Ziggy / seventies focussed film.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The soundtrack is going to be an absolute fever dream, if it's anything like Crossfire Hurricane was.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The soundtrack is going to be an absolute fever dream, if it's anything like Crossfire Hurricane was.
    Apparently Tony Visconti is involved with the soundtrack, so I have high hopes. The trailer, while only a teaser, gives me the impression that this movie will tug at the heart strings a little. Bowie means a lot to so many people, so I'm hoping they'll do his legacy justice.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Apparently Tony Visconti is involved with the soundtrack, so I have high hopes.
    Says on Facebook that he worked on it "a bit" and has seen it twice, and thought it turned out "fantastic". That's encouraging. I'm mostly referring to the director's overall sound design approach, which is expressionistic to say the least. The Hollywood Reporter review that @allegro dropped says to me that some people won't get what they were going for, or like it, which is fine by me. Trying to let the tantalizing possiblity that they have full unseen concerts restored to IMAX for this, and we're only gonna get to see a few seconds of each one (for now) not spoil this for me. Getting to see a full '78 Earl's Court show restored from the original camera footage would be unreal.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I like this version better than the EARTHLING version.
    It's creepy as fuck.

I just picked up this on vinyl and it was my first time hearing it! What a fantastic treasure to hear this early version, my mind is blown it's so great!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I never knew the program David used for writing Outside made it online
    Edit: I misread. It's based on the program.
    https://verbasizer.com/