Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds of DC Thread

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    IW and EG have been on television, and even with commercials, it still goes by pretty quickly. JL is driving me to not be sober in order to get through the entire thing atm.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    IW and EG have been on television, and even with commercials, it still goes by pretty quickly. JL is driving me to not be sober in order to get through the entire thing atm.
    Why force yourself to watch the whole thing in one sitting when it’s clearly been set out in chapters though? My point earlier which I didn’t clarify was that you can’t expect people to watch it at the cinema in one sitting without a break, but at home watch it how you want

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Certainly, the fact this is a home release on a streaming service I subscribe to is the only way I would get to participate in this particular autopsy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Ultimately, even if the Snyder Cut were a masterpiece, it doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things. That version of the DCEU is already half gone. The Batfleck has left the building, taking with him most of BvS and JL and we now have the Battison, of which we know next to nothing about. Superman may or may not regenerate. Cyborg got the boot...

Really, that ship has sailed.

What is left is the irony of having a movie called Justice League, with Zack Snyder as the credited director and another movie called Zack Snyder's Justice League.
    JJ Abrams is rebooting Superman

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I can't tell if this is a joke or not.
    It's not...

Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing, JJ is producing...
    https://deadline.com/2021/02/superma...ng-1234701922/

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    That is a baffling disparity of talent, which could only possibly work if this is one of those situations where Abrams is just a name on the bill, which seems pretty possible.

Very different than if abrams was writing or directing, which would turn Superman into a series of mysteries and questions it never needed to be.

Coates writing it is extremely exciting though.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Future review: "Is Superman using his laser eyes or is that just lense flare?"

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Is Superman actually Robin's grandfather?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Why force yourself to watch the whole thing in one sitting when it’s clearly been set out in chapters though? My point earlier which I didn’t clarify was that you can’t expect people to watch it at the cinema in one sitting without a break, but at home watch it how you want
    Why would I watch one chapter now, and another 2 days, or even a week from that if I can get it over with. Good for others if you cannot watch it all in one sitting and can watch from home, watch however you like...but I like to watch a movie in one go, not pretentious chapter by chapter format. I would rather get this all in one sitting, instead of making it a daily to weekly chore. Already a chore enough that the thing is 4 fucking hours, you're telling me people needed a massive break from Lord of the Rings or even Endgame?

The difference is I didn't know what I was getting from those films. I have already seen Justice League, and from the reactions and early reviews, it doesn't seem to be far off from the borefest that the first effort was. Yea, I'll have to force myself to watch the entire thing, but doesn't mean I won't bitch about it lol.

PS: Didn't mean to facepalm your post, I have a touchscreen desktop .
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-16-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    As someone who loved the darker DC content i can say that i was looking forward to some of those stories but as you pointed out, the studio messed with the vision of a director they decided to hire so /shrug

As for MCU, i think its incredible what they have pulled off and yeah generally i have enjoyed what the MCU has done. It's not exactly what i wanted but i guess im not calling the shots.. its like the saying goes.. beggars can't be choosers. Something definitely has to be said about not interfering with a vision once a decision is made to hire someone to do the job.

i guess that is the biggest difference between MCU and DCU on the big screen at least.
    If the only thing that comes out of this that people can generally agree on is that studios should let the people they hire do their jobs without interference in order to get a better product, then that's a win for everyone. Every single review with the exception of one that I have seen declares this new cut is superior to the old one, even the extremely negative reviews are saying that. Suits should stay out of the creative process is the lesson here.

Yeah Marvel had a singular vision for the story they wanted to tell and they stuck with it. And it made them buckets of money. If they had changed course every time they put out a lackluster shit movie it would have gone south.

Artistically though, their hands aren't exactly clean either. They are owned by the mouse after all. And the mouse like all studios bows to the cash.

https://www.cnet.com/features/marvel...t-even-notice/
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 03-16-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    This is like the Poe's Law of hate clicks, you can't tell if someone actually loves or hates it and isn't just doing it for the inevitable traffic.

I wonder if it's even possible to give it a fair and impartial viewing? Listening to Kevin Smith gush about it might be closest because he's said before that he'd heard from people who saw the rough cut / worked on the original cut and that what you see now is basically exactly what they told him the movie should have been.

OTOH, Kevin does not have a "like" setting really so there's that.
    What I've gathered from the reviews is that it's better than the 2017 and that if you like Man of Steel and BvS you will dig it. If you didn't like those films and you prefer the Marvel formula you most likely won't enjoy it at all. Shocker, I know.

I like those films so I expect I'll enjoy it but I could very well be let down. No person can watch a film from an impartial stance. Watching film is like any other artform and what the viewer brings to it affects the watching experience.

Reading through this thread, one might get the idea that this thing is being ripped to shreds in the press. It might be worth noting for historical purposes that as of now RT has it at 78% with 121 reviews in. That's about 3.5 times more positive reviews than negative reviews. Now, 400 negative reviews could all roll in by tomorrow and change that picture but as of right now that's where it sits. With this type of film, critical reviews are usually lower than the audience score as well due to the fact that many reviewers are doing it for a paycheck and aren't actually interested. Many of the negative reviews just bitch about it being 4 hours and don't really have any substance in their criticisms. I don't really blame them, that is a long runtime for any film.

Of course none of that really matters. It could be at 100% and I could hate it or it could be at 0% and end up being my favorite thing ever. Once a movie is seen, other's opinions shouldn't affect the enjoyment. But I think reviews can be helpful in determining whether or not one would have any interest in a film in the first place.

I saw that Kevin Smith podcast. Yeah he seemed to love it and praised it to no end but it's also worth keeping in mind he is a pretty big DC fan. His co-host however, hates pretty much everything DC puts out and he fawns over Marvel every time they take a shit. When he mentioned that he went back and watched Man of Steel and that he had been wrong and there was a good movie there I almost fell out of my chair.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    HELL YEAH! That's going to be AWESOME!

/sarcasim

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Currently has a 56 metascore compared to the theatrical cut's 45... so not that much of an improvement.

I see a lot of "It was better than the theatrical cut, but still sucks."

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Currently has a 56 metascore compared to the theatrical cut's 45... so not that much of an improvement.

I see a lot of "It was better than the theatrical cut, but still sucks."
    But only based on 34 reviews compared to 124 on RT. Not that any of it really matters. I've seen enough reviews from actual reliable reviewers who are fans of the genre and they all agree it's much better and they all seem to have had a good time with it. Its not going to change cinema or convert the naysayers. But it's just fucking fun to have for the fans.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    What i'm generally hearing from people on the socials (critics who aren't just in for clicks and comics fans) are it is an improvement...but it's not exactly "great" either, and something for the diehards only. Someone put it "The original one was a 4/10, this ones a 6/10" which kinda adds up with what other people are saying. Good for those that wanted more BvS but probably not for everyone, but hell at least this version exists at all! Personally i was done with JL with the post JL movies being generally more up my street (Shazam, Joker, Birds of Prey etc) and i'm more excited to see the new stuff in a DC slate not trying to follow the Marvel template and just doing whatever.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    What i'm generally hearing from people on the socials (critics who aren't just in for clicks and comics fans) are it is an improvement...but it's not exactly "great" either, and something for the diehards only. Someone put it "The original one was a 4/10, this ones a 6/10" which kinda adds up with what other people are saying. Good for those that wanted more BvS but probably not for everyone, but hell at least this version exists at all! Personally i was done with JL with the post JL movies being generally more up my street (Shazam, Joker, Birds of Prey etc) and i'm more excited to see the new stuff in a DC slate not trying to follow the Marvel template and just doing whatever.
    Yeah I'd say that is very consistent with what I've seen. BvS seems to be the barometer. Lucky for me I love that movie. I've also heard the slow pace and slow motion shots that look like paintings put a lot of people off but I dig all that stuff. It's not exactly a.d.d. generation friendly though. I'm glad it exists to complete the trilogy.

The post Snyder DC films that have come out have all been very hit or miss with me. I loved Joker more than anything since the Nolan-verse. I thought the first WW was pretty good. I didn't care much for Suicide Squad. Birds of Prey was better but not really my cup of tea. I'm cautiously optimistic for The Batman after that trailer. Aquaman and Shazam, judging by their trailers and marketing, seem like the exact opposite of what I want from any of these movies and I haven't bothered watching them yet. Are they worth it?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Yeah I'd say that is very consistent with what I've seen. BvS seems to be the barometer. Lucky for me I love that movie. I've also heard the slow pace and slow motion shots that look like paintings put a lot of people off but I dig all that stuff. It's not exactly a.d.d. generation friendly though. I'm glad it exists to complete the trilogy.

The post Snyder DC films that have come out have all been very hit or miss with me. I loved Joker more than anything since the Nolan-verse. I thought the first WW was pretty good. I didn't care much for Suicide Squad. Birds of Prey was better but not really my cup of tea. I'm cautiously optimistic for The Batman after that trailer. Aquaman and Shazam, judging by their trailers and marketing, seem like the exact opposite of what I want from any of these movies and I haven't bothered watching them yet. Are they worth it?
    I'd defiantly give Shazam a look. It's not in line with BvS but it is a really good lighthearted fun film, maybe something for a rainy Sunday with a good pizza. Aquaman is one of the only ones i've not seen, mainly as i really didn't like the character in JL so chose to give it a miss, but i do know people seem to like it. I am very much looking forward to whatever The Batman ends up being.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Aquaman was a bloated mess.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    What I've gathered from the reviews is that it's better than the 2017 and that if you like Man of Steel and BvS you will dig it. If you didn't like those films and you prefer the Marvel formula you most likely won't enjoy it at all. Shocker, I know.

I like those films so I expect I'll enjoy it but I could very well be let down. No person can watch a film from an impartial stance. Watching film is like any other artform and what the viewer brings to it affects the watching experience.

Reading through this thread, one might get the idea that this thing is being ripped to shreds in the press. It might be worth noting for historical purposes that as of now RT has it at 78% with 121 reviews in. That's about 3.5 times more positive reviews than negative reviews. Now, 400 negative reviews could all roll in by tomorrow and change that picture but as of right now that's where it sits. With this type of film, critical reviews are usually lower than the audience score as well due to the fact that many reviewers are doing it for a paycheck and aren't actually interested. Many of the negative reviews just bitch about it being 4 hours and don't really have any substance in their criticisms. I don't really blame them, that is a long runtime for any film.

Of course none of that really matters. It could be at 100% and I could hate it or it could be at 0% and end up being my favorite thing ever. Once a movie is seen, other's opinions shouldn't affect the enjoyment. But I think reviews can be helpful in determining whether or not one would have any interest in a film in the first place.

I saw that Kevin Smith podcast. Yeah he seemed to love it and praised it to no end but it's also worth keeping in mind he is a pretty big DC fan. His co-host however, hates pretty much everything DC puts out and he fawns over Marvel every time they take a shit. When he mentioned that he went back and watched Man of Steel and that he had been wrong and there was a good movie there I almost fell out of my chair.
    His co-host, aka the guy who has a name aka Marc Bernardin, is the yang to Kevin's high-as-fuck yin. Even Kevin says he's hard on things. But he usually has pretty good ideas - regardless of the movie - on how to improve the story that was given to us. OTOH, sometimes he's focused so hard on the story and motivations that he can't see past that for the spectacle of the punchy-punchy that these kinds of movies deliver. You mention Man of Steel. Story-wise that movie's not very good and it's for the reasons he mentions but the spectacle it brings and delivers is amazing.

Also I love that definitely and defiantly are so close to each other that autocorrect usually picks the wrong one. I have a genuine laugh every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Aquaman was a bloated mess.
    That was like a really good limited series for HBO that was shortened a bit to make a movie runtime.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ugh, I keep forgetting about Shazam and all I hear are great things. Need to watch that this weekend!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ugh, I keep forgetting about Shazam and all I hear are great things. Need to watch that this weekend!
    Shazam is probably my favorite along with Joker from recent DC movies. Shazam is just fun.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Ryan Reynolds on a live-tweet binge here.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    His co-host, aka the guy who has a name aka Marc Bernardin, is the yang to Kevin's high-as-fuck yin. Even Kevin says he's hard on things. But he usually has pretty good ideas - regardless of the movie - on how to improve the story that was given to us. OTOH, sometimes he's focused so hard on the story and motivations that he can't see past that for the spectacle of the punchy-punchy that these kinds of movies deliver. You mention Man of Steel. Story-wise that movie's not very good and it's for the reasons he mentions but the spectacle it brings and delivers is amazing.
    Sorry I got lazy in my post and didn't mention his name. I should have put some more respect on Marc! Don't hate too much on Kevin for being high all the time. Marc is always guzzling beer right next to him and in my experience its the stoners that are right more often than the beer heads, it just takes them longer to get there lol. Beer makes your thought process sloppy. But yeah, Marc is great and makes the show better all the time. The running joke on the show is he gives his take on a bad movie and Kevin tells him to stop making a better movie. He's a good writer and I agree with him on many things.

But he's dead wrong about a lot of his criticisms of DC films. In that last podcast he says he doesn't understand how that version of Clark grows up to save people when he has a father who says "I don't know, maybe" when Clark asks him if he should have not saved those kids. And then he tells Clark not to save him from the tornado because it would give away who and what he is. Now, I get how Marc got to where he's at, I just completely disagree with him. In fact I read it as the exact opposite. The first scene is Clark learning that doing the right thing isn't always cut and dry. It's hard to do the right thing. It's hard to even know what the right thing is most of the time in the real world. This sentiment is echoed again in BvS when Jonathan tells Clark the hero cake story about how he saved the farm only to find out another farm flooded as a result. Sometimes it's zero-sum even if you do the right thing.

Then there's his death. His death is literally his way of saving his son in that moment. I don't mean that Clark would have died, I mean that his life would have been over. His father knows that if people found out what he is, an alien from outer space with enough power to wipe out humanity, that the powers that be would try and use him, or destroy him. His life would never again be his own. Clark understands the power of saving people because he was saved himself by his father. BvS proves his father was right too. Once Superman is known to society half the people want to kill him, the other half want to worship him. It's a burden as much as it is a gift. Clark ultimately makes the choice of self sacrifice. That choice is what his father was protecting for his son.

Marc also nit picks shit unnecessarily. Just yesterday he was going off on how dumb it was to have kryptonite be a part of kryptonian ship because if it's harmful then it would have destroyed Clark on his way to earth. Problem is, he missed that the kryptonite came from the terraforming machine's reactor and not Clark's ship. It was only exposed when the machine exploded in the Indian ocean. I don't mind him not enjoying these movies but if you're going to criticize something you may as well do it right. He also seems to have a distaste for anything that is ambiguous, he doesn't like the horror genre, and he mainly seems to enjoy comedy romps that are "fun for the whole family." Which is pretty much the opposite of my taste. But I still love the guy. Anytime Kevin is too spaced out he steps in to save the show.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 03-17-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Shazam is probably my favorite along with Joker from recent DC movies. Shazam is just fun.
    Does it hint or connect to anything? Or just a standalone movie? Watching it regardless, but just curious.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Does it hint or connect to anything? Or just a standalone movie? Watching it regardless, but just curious.
    Superman gets a mention. It knows how to be sly about it. Works both standalone and also has ways to be connected to the world of superheroes.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-17-2021 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Superman gets a mention. It knows how to be sly about it. Works both standalone and also has ways to be connected to the world of superheroes.
    yeah, the fight with the Superman doll is kind of funny.

the only complaint I have with Shazam is that they had a good movie and then said "what if we added a second movie?!" that said, I also like that they were introduced in the first movie instead of a second. so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

funny trivia: D. J. Cotrona and Adam Brody were both supposed to be in the first Justice League movie as Superman and The Flash, respectively.
    Sorry I got lazy in my post and didn't mention his name. I should have put some more respect on Marc! Don't hate too much on Kevin for being high all the time. Marc is always guzzling beer right next to him and in my experience its the stoners that are right more often than the beer heads, it just takes them longer to get there lol. Beer makes your thought process sloppy. But yeah, Marc is great and makes the show better all the time. The running joke on the show is he gives his take on a bad movie and Kevin tells him to stop making a better movie. He's a good writer and I agree with him on many things.

But he's dead wrong about a lot of his criticisms of DC films. In that last podcast he says he doesn't understand how that version of Clark grows up to save people when he has a father who says "I don't know, maybe" when Clark asks him if he should have not saved those kids. And then he tells Clark not to save him from the tornado because it would give away who and what he is. Now, I get how Marc got to where he's at, I just completely disagree with him. In fact I read it as the exact opposite. The first scene is Clark learning that doing the right thing isn't always cut and dry. It's hard to do the right thing. It's hard to even know what the right thing is most of the time in the real world. This sentiment is echoed again in BvS when Jonathan tells Clark the hero cake story about how he saved the farm only to find out another farm flooded as a result. Sometimes it's zero-sum even if you do the right thing.

Then there's his death. His death is literally his way of saving his son in that moment. I don't mean that Clark would have died, I mean that his life would have been over. His father knows that if people found out what he is, an alien from outer space with enough power to wipe out humanity, that the powers that be would try and use him, or destroy him. His life would never again be his own. Clark understands the power of saving people because he was saved himself by his father. BvS proves his father was right too. Once Superman is known to society half the people want to kill him, the other half want to worship him. It's a burden as much as it is a gift. Clark ultimately makes the choice of self sacrifice. That choice is what his father was protecting for his son.

Marc also nit picks shit unnecessarily. Just yesterday he was going off on how dumb it was to have kryptonite be a part of kryptonian ship because if it's harmful then it would have destroyed Clark on his way to earth. Problem is, he missed that the kryptonite came from the terraforming machine's reactor and not Clark's ship. It was only exposed when the machine exploded in the Indian ocean. I don't mind him not enjoying these movies but if you're going to criticize something you may as well do it right. He also seems to have a distaste for anything that is ambiguous, he doesn't like the horror genre, and he mainly seems to enjoy comedy romps that are "fun for the whole family." Which is pretty much the opposite of my taste. But I still love the guy. Anytime Kevin is too spaced out he steps in to save the show.
    Oh there was no hate in my post, just pointing out the obvious. I've never watched the show because I'm usually too busy to sit in front of my computer for that long. I do listen to the podcast though. The only complaint I have is that Kevin talks over everyone, sometimes they barely get a word in edgewise.

I think little things like that are just a thorn in the side of fans. For every ten articles I read about Vision and the memory 'transfer', maybe one gets it right even though it's literally in the conversation they're having as to what is happening. They spell it out and the people writing still get it wrong.

EDIT: case in point RE: ZSJL - they show Bruce get on a horse, stirrups and all. the next three shots of Bruce are with him walking beside the horse. they do eventually show him riding the horse again but that they immediately cut to walking was annoying. it's little, but that I noticed it reminded me that this is a film with editors, not a story.

Much like The Wolverine had editing errors throughout and people say it's the 2nd best Wolvie movie.
    Last edited by allegate; 03-18-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, that was long. Better than the original, zero doubt about that. It’s just, I don’t know. It was ok.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How would “Slightly less terrible!” look on a poster? That is my approved quote for “Zack Snyder’s Justice League,” a perverse exercise in fanboydom on HBO Max that tacks on two extra hours of footage to a maligned 2017 DC Comics movie to create a kind of new, still-bad movie.
    - New York Post

https://nypost.com/2021/03/18/justic...m-still-sucks/

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Does anybody in this DC thread actually like BvS director's cut? Does anybody in this DC thread think the Marvel movies are just bad cgi video game, power rangers type cringey shit?

I'm only asking for a friend.

I think if the answers to the questions above are both no. You will not enjoy the Snyder cut so don't waste time with it.
    My wife and I actually DID like BvS director's cut.
    (hides face in shame)