Page 58 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2047

Thread: How fucked was your day?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Can you put him in your car or to a friends house while the pictures are being taken of your home?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    woke up to a transphobic comment on one of my pictures on twitter. really trying not to let it get to me but it's just fucking up my whole day. i feel sick to my stomach. it's been a while since i've had to deal with someone directing hatred right at me.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    delete and block that motherfucker!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just had someone without a mask cough twice DIRECTLY into my face, and then sniffle. I swear... If I just caught Covid...

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    woke up to a transphobic comment on one of my pictures on twitter. really trying not to let it get to me but it's just fucking up my whole day. i feel sick to my stomach. it's been a while since i've had to deal with someone directing hatred right at me.

I don't touch Twitter. It's complete bullshit... without a doubt the worst internet discourse this side of 4Chan.

There's a reason it got Donald Trump elected.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-30-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have paralysis in the left side of my face that keeps coming back. I really hope it goes away!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene Nymph View Post
    I have paralysis in the left side of my face that keeps coming back. I really hope it goes away!
    I'm no doctor but the first thing that came to my mind is Bell's Palsy. Anyway, you should definitely get it checked out.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I'm no doctor but the first thing that came to my mind is Bell's Palsy. Anyway, you should definitely get it checked out.
    Yup. I had Bells Palsy when I was in my 20s. I did a course of prednisone, and I had 100% recovery without any eye
    droop. Not everyone is so lucky.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    There's no thread for where this should go, and my day hasn't been really fucked, but I noticed outside the window a bird that looked like it had flown into it and broken its neck, but it was still alive. This was around 8 am, and it was twitching and occasionally spasming around on the ground. When the sun got bright overhead, I went out and moved it into the shade... figuring this wasn't going to last too long, and it doesn't need to be sitting there in the sun.

It's ten hours later, and this bird is still alive, twitching and curling its smashed leg up. It does seem to be doing somewhat "better" but I don't know. I have been considering just grabbing a 25 pound weight... Either way, it's not going to survive through the night. Something out there will kill it. Not sure what the "right thing" to do here is.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Ugh, I hate things like that. I would say let mother nature take it's course. Poor thing.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    yeah, I wound up making an enclosure so at least it wouldn't be eaten... I'd imagine most things are preferable. I got strangely attached there. I named him Blinky.
    And nope, he didn't survive. RIP Blinky.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Blinky's spirit is free to terrorize Pac-Man once again. what have you done.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    For first time in over year, day 1 of doc-a-palooza yesterday. Didn't go so great. Round 2 today. Bleh. Lot more traffic now & even that wears me out.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    yeah, I wound up making an enclosure so at least it wouldn't be eaten... I'd imagine most things are preferable. I got strangely attached there. I named him Blinky.
    And nope, he didn't survive. RIP Blinky.
    so sorry about the birdie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Last week, the hot water tank in my house broke.

Originally, I had emailed my landlords lawyer to get it fixed, because I'm still in this place for another week or two, but she had indicated she was too busy to deal with it, so I dealt with it. It was a rental hot water heater, so it didn't cost me anything. When the company left, they didn't leave me any paperwork or anything, but I figured it was done with.

Yesterday I got an email form my landlords real estate agent saying that they are coming into my house on Friday to get contract paperwork for the new rental and take photos. I explained to him that they didn't leave any, and that he should contact the company that replaced it. I also pointed out that we have a signed agreement that specified times when they can enter the house with relation to selling it in order to protect my safety during pandemic (we're under a stay-at-home order right now), and that the time he picked was outside of that.

He then said that "we are not here to negotiate or argue with you" and that they were coming in anyways. He said that real estate transactions are considered essential, so the current stay-at-home order doesn't apply. He also stated explicitly that as long as he gives 24 hours notice he can come in any time he wants, and that our signed agreement doesn't apply, since the house has been sold, and these are no longer viewings to sell the house.

I've refused, flat out and told him he is not to enter the home on Friday.

The landlord and their agents are legally prohibited from taking photos of a home that a tenant is still living in without consent, and I did not give consent. The landlord and their agents are also only allowed to enter for certain reasons, and searching for documents isn't on the list.

I'm not sure if he's actually going to stay away, or if I'm going to have to physically fight him off at the door tomorrow.

Moving day can't come soon enough.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    keep a baseball bat and ball and glove by the door. you know, just in case you want to go out tomorrow afternoon for a quick pickup game.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Been having stomach pains for weeks and finally got a breath test done for Helicobacter pylori. Turned out a very strong positive result. Now on a very strong course of 3 types of antibiotics for it. Also need to check I don’t have any internal bleeding from it due to low iron levels.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    @Erneuert That sucks, sorry to hear that. Once you're done with the antibiotics, I highly suggest getting a good probiotic and take it with unmodified potato starch in water. The potato starch is essentially food for the good bugs.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    @Erneuert That sucks, sorry to hear that. Once you're done with the antibiotics, I highly suggest getting a good probiotic and take it with unmodified potato starch in water. The potato starch is essentially food for the good bugs.
    Yeah, my gastroenterologist suggested I start taking a probiotic last Friday, which I have been doing since then.

Prior to the breath test I also had a stool sample taken and Adenovirus was detected. A CT scan, ultrasound and blood work all came back normal, though, so it just seems like this damn virus is causing all the pain. Once this lot of treatment is done I’ll be going for another breath test to see if it’s dead. If not, I’ll need a camera down to see exactly what strain of H. pylori it is and get further treatment.

My chemist was telling me yesterday (worst case scenario) that some medications to treat more severe cases can get up into the thousand dollar regions, because they’re imported and compounded. Yikes!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    That sounds like some shit. My mother had H. pylori, and she had an excessive round of antibiotics, but there was no doubt it would do the job. Then again, Americans pay crazy money for our insurance, so maybe they just go straight for the "all kill" treatment. Aside from the test fees and co-pays it wasn't excessive, though she has medicare (Boomer retirement healthcare that will probably disappear once I reach retirement.) She didn't have a breath test for her diagnosis, I think it was a down scope sample?

Good luck....

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    thinking of you, ryan. hope you feel better quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    That sounds like some shit. My mother had H. pylori, and she had an excessive round of antibiotics, but there was no doubt it would do the job. Then again, Americans pay crazy money for our insurance, so maybe they just go straight for the "all kill" treatment. Aside from the test fees and co-pays it wasn't excessive, though she has medicare (Boomer retirement healthcare that will probably disappear once I reach retirement.) She didn't have a breath test for her diagnosis, I think it was a down scope sample?

Good luck....
    Thanks guys.

Apparently the breath test was created by two guys from Perth, Australia and won a Nobel prize for it, as a means of detection without needing a camera down. Amazing the things people come up with.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, the breath test is used here in the U.S., too.

Ryan, before docs discovered H. pylori, they thought everyone had ulcers due to “stress” and that there was no cure.

I had a lot of relatives, years ago, who were on scads of Pepto Bismal, to no avail. Once H. pylori was discovered, it was truly like a miracle. Prilosec came out, and it was like a miracle drug.

Prilosec and similar drugs in combination with antibiotics really work to cure any ulcers created by H. pylori.

It will work out. You’ll be okay. I’m glad they found it before it got way worse. Hope you feel better, soon.

Edit: I am also a huge proponent of probiotics. I take them daily. I get mine from Target.

https://www.target.com/p/daily-flora...2/-/A-51784207
    Last edited by allegro; 05-22-2021 at 02:29 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I think stuff like Prilosec should only be temporary after treating the infection itself. My cousin has kidney damage from long term use of that stuff. We just didn’t know enough in the 90s.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think stuff like Prilosec should only be temporary after treating the infection itself. My cousin has kidney damage from long term use of that stuff. We just didn’t know enough in the 90s.
    Proton pump inhibitors used to be Rx only, and eventually went OTC. I’ve never heard of them causing kidney damage from longterm use, but I have heard of them causing osteoporosis. PPIs are also used to treat GERD and LPR which, left untreated, can lead to esophageal cancer. There are Rx for these beyond Prilosec. I have LPR and am learning to control it with diet and stress reduction, although I occasionally take Pepcid (H2 antagonist). I won’t take PPIs. I’ve read a lot of material about not enough vs. too much stomach acid, it’s crazy stuff. Which is totally separate from ulcers and h. pylori.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-23-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Yeah, I have a friend who almost died from kidney failure due to Prilosec (most likely).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yeah, I have a friend who almost died from kidney failure due to Prilosec (most likely).
    https://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/27/10/2926

I know that my stepdad was prescribed a PPI until his symptoms alleviated, then he was taken off the PPI. And this was back when it was prescription.

Supposedly, DOSE has a lot to do with it. I take 10mg of H2 blocker. The full dose for, say, a peptic ulcer is 40mg, but that is only recommended for a short-term period, just like PPIs, mostly due to patients having an unknown renal condition or even heart condition. My CAT takes 1/4 of a 10mg H2 blocker, and she has CKD. Unfortunately, one of the symptoms of feline CKD is stomach acid issues and occasional pancreatitis, which causes CKD cats to stop eating.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-23-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Jesus @Erneuert . That's fucking rough business. Hang in there.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Came home yesterday to see my cat lying on his side and puke and poop all over the living room. Went to get my son to start cleaning up (it just looked like he ate something that disagreed with him) and we eventually found that the reason the cat was lying on his side was because he wasn't moving at all and had actually shat himself while laying there. It went from "oh man this is a lot to clean up" to "holy shit all hands on deck" situation. Quickly got him cleaned up and in a carrier and cleaned up the various puke and poop while my wife started calling vet hospitals. Turns out because of Covid they're all at maximum (reduced) capacity. Finally found one in downtown Portland - about a 30 minute drive - and we made it there in ~20. And then spent over an hour on hold because they were also swamped.

Three hours after we got there we finally heard that they weren't sure what it was but would like to run some tests. We said OK and left because they said they'd keep him overnight. That was ~five to six hundred dollars. Last night around 11 they called and said they wanted to do an ultrasound but would have to put him out for it because he wasn't letting anyone get close to him. So now we were over 2k.

Got a call this morning that they fed him and are just watching him now. All the tests came back negative and the vet said they didn't have a clue. Nothing in the ultrasound, nothing in the x-rays, nothing in the blood work. So they just going to watch him to see if they can keep it all down and then probably just let him go.

No clue what it could have been. My wife got home about 45 minutes before me and said he looked fine before she went to take a nap. He's got the most sensitive nose that I've seen on an animal and won't go near anything that doesn't smell right. All we can figure is that he ate some grass and it had something on it.

It's the same one who got out and decided to 'visit' the neighbors husky and lost part of his tail and had surgery. This is getting to be an expensive fucking cat.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm glad the kitty at least appears to be ok, now.

We spent a couple Gs trying to figure out what was wrong with our bulldog and never got a concrete answer.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @allegate - I wonder if he was really constipated and then let it all loose and that kinda “fixed” things. Cats have a pretty short digestive system. When they get backed up, they puke a lot too. When they finally let loose (if you’re lucky), they puke and poop a LOT. And it’s good when they do; if they don’t, it can require surgery. We’ve had three backed-up cats. All three are on Lactulose and Miralax.

Glad kitty is better.