Page 61 of 84 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    They've done an Augmented Reality version of the Bowie Is... exhibition which is out today, with Gary Oldman narrating. I'll have to check it out, I loved seeing the exhibit when it visited Toronto.

Also... wow, this looks interesting: a full slate of unreleased 1968-vintage demos (after the debut album, before Space Oddity) set to be released as 7" vinyl singles.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Finally listened to Never Let Me Down 2018 and... no. Just, no. The new version just sounds like a batch of remastered demos. The producer stripped the songs from pretty much all the catchy hooks, and replaced them with unbelievably generic acoustic guitars and string sections. OK, Reeves and Sterling did good jobs, but overall... Yeah the songs became much less 80s, but they also became bland and boring. Never Let Me Down is a guilty please album of mine, and I need that bit of cheese in every song that original version have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    They've done an Augmented Reality version of the Bowie Is... exhibition which is out today, with Gary Oldman narrating. I'll have to check it out, I loved seeing the exhibit when it visited Toronto.
    Has anyone checked this out yet? never made it to any of the exhibits and wondering if this app is worth it and how it functions.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just watched "David Bowie: Finding Fame", I don't really like that much that early stuff, but very interesting indeed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002jlw
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...m-Shelley.html

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    i was listening to the cd of the glass spider show yesterday. it has aged surprisingly well. well maybe not a huge surprise since david was always ahead of everyone else. i saw 2 shows on that tour & i thought it was great at the time. lots of pretty unique stuff in the set (all the mad men, sons of the silent age, killer version of big brother, etc). worth a listen if you are so inclined.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fuck I wish he was still around...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Fuck I wish he was still around...

Have watched this a few dozen times over the past few years when feeling down or less than or when I need to be motivated to not be a slave to the wage.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Every time I think nobody could ever care to hear what I have to say and I'm not cut out to make art, I hear his voice and I know I can never abandon that dream.

Bowie LP historians, if any: What's your opinions on the 2017 and onward LP reissues? I hear varying things. I have the entire discography on CD from various releases, but I've decided to finally make that leap here too. Heard horrible things about Heroes being butchered and Low being too bassy. I picked up the latter the other day regardless, simply because it's one of my favorite albums and I need to flex my brand new turntable's muscles but haven't got around to listening yet (Will once I get some great new speakers this weekend).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Every time I think nobody could ever care to hear what I have to say and I'm not cut out to make art, I hear his voice and I know I can never abandon that dream.

Bowie LP historians, if any: What's your opinions on the 2017 and onward LP reissues? I hear varying things. I have the entire discography on CD from various releases, but I've decided to finally make that leap here too. Heard horrible things about Heroes being butchered and Low being too bassy. I picked up the latter the other day regardless, simply because it's one of my favorite albums and I need to flex my brand new turntable's muscles but haven't got around to listening yet (Will once I get some great new speakers this weekend).
    Low: I love the new version. Tony Visconti said it was intentional to make it more bassy because that was what was originally intended but sonically they couldnt pull it off when they first recorded it.

Heroes: this was minor. Very minor. And they fixed it. sent new presses out. LP still sounds great.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So I just submitted an order which will mean I have every Bowie studio album on vinyl with the exception of Earthling and Black Tie White Noise, which are currently out of print.

My guess is these will be reissued at some point in the next few years, simply because almost everything else in the catalogue has been. Does anyone have any insight into the likelihood of this?

I certainly don't want to spend $100+ on one of the OOP versions to find out a few months later it's being reissued.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    So I just submitted an order which will mean I have every Bowie studio album on vinyl with the exception of Earthling and Black Tie White Noise, which are currently out of print.

My guess is these will be reissued at some point in the next few years, simply because almost everything else in the catalogue has been. Does anyone have any insight into the likelihood of this?

I certainly don't want to spend $100+ on one of the OOP versions to find out a few months later it's being reissued.

Thanks!
    I'm not sure what the likelihood of this is, but I'm dying for Earthling to get a reissue! That's my favorite Bowie album (that's the one that made me a fan back in '97) and hunting down an original pressing is a nightmare

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

My guess is these will be reissued at some point in the next few years, simply because almost everything else in the catalog has been. Does anyone have any insight into the likelihood of this?

Thanks!
    My assumption is that is the next box set -- likely to be announced this Summer with a Winter release.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    My assumption is that is the next box set -- likely to be announced this Summer with a Winter release.
    Do the box sets contain the albums as standalone pieces (sleeve, liner notes, etc.), or are they just multiple LPs in a box set box?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Do the box sets contain the albums as standalone pieces (sleeve, liner notes, etc.), or are they just multiple LPs in a box set box?
    they've been releasing the individual remasters from the box sets after the fact every time, so my guess is that will happen with the next set

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    they've been releasing the individual remasters from the box sets after the fact every time, so my guess is that will happen with the next set
    Ah, gotcha. Very cool. Thanks, all!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Are we even sure outside and earthling will be on the next box?
    The last one was only 3 albums and there is quite some stuff done between 88 and 94, tin machine 1 and 2, buddha, btwn, they may stop at 94...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My wish is that the next box is 100% Tin Machine.

BTW Bowie channel recently posted this.

I can't tell you how glad I am to finally watch TM videos online because I couldn't find any in the past due to region restriction.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Here's an extremely cool story that was posted by spikenyc on the IORR site (Stones). I was privileged to meet Bowie once. One thing I would say is Bowie was pretty short as were a lot of the guys who grew up in post war Britian. Nutrition wasn't good. I've met quite a few of the rock gods who grew up then & they have all been pretty short except for Robert Plant who was a country boy. The thing about Bowie is he had a giant aura about him that made him seem larger than life even when you were talking to him. Miss him terribly. Kudos to Trent for carrying the torch, its a monumental task. Anyway, enjoy this!

Growing up on Staten Island, I was fairly sure I’d become the next Lawrence Taylor or Carl Banks. If my football career didn’t pan out, I had basketball. I was sure I’d be the next great white hope. A new version of Larry Bird or Chris Mullin. If option two didn’t pan out, I had baseball as my backup plan. Don Mattingly was my hero and I was surely destined to be just as good as him. When reality set in, I graduated from Monsignor Farrell and matriculated at SUNY Plattsburgh where I was the star of my fraternity touch football team.

My father was fireman, and I wanted badly to follow in his footsteps. I passed the test after graduation and tended bar and worked as a personal trainer for a period of time. When my number was called, I couldn’t have been more thrilled. I showed up for work n a sweltering July day at the house day one in TriBeca and was told by the veterans to head to the kitchen and start washing dishes. So I did as I was told.

I get to the kitchen, and a blonde guy in a white tank top and a red bandanna is cooking and listening to Bob Dylan’s “Blood on the Tracks” very loudly. He is tall and very skinny. He has a tall glass of white wine in pint glass with ice cubes. I saw the bottle of wine. It still had a price tag on it. 175 bucks for whatever wine this guy was drinking. He turns around, sees me, and turns down the music.

“Ahh the new guy. Welcome mate,” he said with a deep voice in a British accent. He was striking looking. His right eye was blue and his left eye was brown. “I’m the cook here on Monday and Thursday nights. Don’t let these @#$%& give you too much of a hard time,” he said as he took a drag of his Marlboro Red.

I was talking to David Bowie.

That night he was making a spaghetti dish with lobster. He had a huge bag of live lobsters that was sitting on the counter. He boiled a huge pot of water and began dropping the lobsters in after he carefully killed each one with a big knife. He asked me to help him and I did. Here I was on my first day as a member of the FDNY, my lifelong dream…and what am I doing? I’m dropping lobsters into boiling water with David Bowie. A senior fireman passed through and saw us. His name was Flanagan.

“Davey is at it again. Hitting on the new guy. Kid – just give in and let him have his way with you. It won’t be that bad. Ask him about Wilt Chamberlain’s dick,” Flanagan said. David responded without looking at Flanagan.

“The last time Flanagan had intercourse Carter was president. And surely he paid for it. Probably in Coney Island or Atlantic City if I recall correctly,” David said as he dropped a lobster into the pot. Flanagan left the room, and we went back to the task at hand.

And so began my "friendship" with David Bowie. He lived in the neighborhood with his supermodel wife, Iman, and their daughter. The loved the banter, camaraderie and ball busting the house provided. I can tell you one thing…he was a hell of a cook. No expense was spared. A bag of 24 live lobsters is a good example. I recall watching him cook. The guy took his time and each detail was measured and calculated. It was also a performance for him, as was everything he did. Before each meal was served, he made us all hold hands. He would say a Buddhist style prayer where he’d say random stuff and thank the food and weird crap like that, and then he would lead all of us in the lord’s prayer. “Our father. Who art in heaven…”

To say the least, David was an interesting dude. He had alter egos (Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke), was bisexual, had battled severe cocaine addiction and won, had an art collection that dwarfed most museums, in the 1970’s he was an freaking outspoken supporter of fascism…and survived it. He invented reinvention and was a master of social media and before such a thing existed. He showed up at my wedding in Rockaway and sang “Let’s Dance”, “Modern Love” and “Young Americans” with the band. That’s how cool he was. The man was nothing short of a genius and without a doubt the most fascinating person I’d ever met. And soon to be a hero of mine…

On 9/11, many members of my ladder were killed. I was on vacation that week. It was before we had kids and my wife and I had rented a house on LBI. I rushed back home and made my way to work. In those days and weeks that followed, David was around all the time. Cooking. Mopping floors. Doing laundry. Attending funerals. He slept right there in the house with us, and when he was awake, he was working. Doing whatever he thought needed to be done.

Those few weeks were a blur. People were scared. No one knew if another shoe was going to fall. David was a constant supporter and was encouraging all of us, and it really helped. He was asked to be the opening act for the concert for “The Concert for 9/11” which was being held at Madison Square Garden. David agreed to the gig.

“If you chaps can be such brave heroes each and every day, I can surely display some courage and do what I do best in honor and admiration of each of you,” David told us.

There were scary rumors at the time about the concert. Like it was going to be bombed. The first performer was going to be shot by a sniper. Stuff like that. David didn’t care.

“There is no way I’d rather go gents. I’ve battled extremism, hatred and prejudice my hole life. And I didn’t always win those battles. This battle I shall win and I can tell you I have no fear. How could I when I share your company?”

When David was cooking, he would sometimes sing instead of listen to music. One of our favorites to hear was “America” by Simon & Garfunkel. Hearing him sing it could make the toughest fireman cry. He told us he loved the song because it made him think about “all the unique souls who come to New York from their small towns to chase their dreams. Often you see them sitting on the ground at the dreaded Port Authority or Penn Station. A backpack behind them and journal in front of them, wondering what they next move will be. To me its nothing short of brilliant.”

When he was planning his act for the show, he sought our advice and we gave it to him. He told us he wanted the first song to be like an opening prayer. He wanted the angry, nervous air of tension and violence to be put aside. He would then say some brief words and launch into a song “for us”. He wanted to send a message to the world that nothing will stop us, there is no way we will lose, and we will beat our haters for ever and ever.

That night in Madison Square Garden changed my life forever. In uniform surrounded by my brothers and sisters…I think about it now and the experience was otherworldly. This might sound ridiculous but sometimes I wonder if it actually happened, if that makes any sense. During his opening version of “America”, you could have heard a pin drop. Everyone was crying as David sang his song about the city he loved and the country he had come to call home. He said his few words, mentioned us from the house, and then went into his song about us…“Heroes”. He built the tension, spirit and boldness with each verse. When that song was over, there was no stopping us. Ever. We were a like pack of 20 thousand wild dogs. He galvanized us. It was awesome. I haven’t been the same since. Neither has anyone who was there for it. After what we’d been through, it was just what the doctor ordered….and only one doctor could provide it…David F’ing Bowie. We were ready to go forward.

****Tade's note: Here is a link to Bowie's performance mentioned above as it originally appeared on TV I beg you all to watch it. Please take the time. His speech is at 4:20, at 6:49 i got chills and started crying and between the 7 and 8 minute mark our author can be seen flashing the peace sign.****

David kept coming to cook until his health began to fail him. Several months after his death, a lawyer for David and Iman contacted me and arranged to come to our home on Staten Island. She told us that David had left us a very valuable piece of art from his famous collection. She told us that her client thought we could use it to “help pay for college” which nearly made my wife pass the hell out. The painting was worth well over a million dollars. We’d just had our 3rd kid. Enough said. He did the same thing for each guy (8 of us) from the house who had survived 9/11 with the promise that we not tell the press about it.

And that, boys and girls, is my story. Was I “friends” with David Bowie? No. At least not more so than anyone else who knew him like I did. But he was by far the most interesting soul I’ve met, he changed my life, and I thought you’d like the story.

Some nights I can’t sleep. Memories from what I saw that day rear their ugly head. But I can make them go away when I hear David’s voice putting me at ease…

Let us be lovers…we’ll marry our fortunes together…

I’m empty and aching and I don’t know why…

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike…

They’ve all come to look for America…

All come to look for America…

All come to look for America…

Tade Reen | New York, New York, NY 10169

[www.dailymotion.com]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    happy 73 mr bowie, wherever you are now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Released today for his birthday, an unreleased version of The Man Who Sold The World.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2020...d-bowie-tracks
    DAVID BOWIE IS IT ANY WONDER? – STREAMING EP OF UNRELEASED & RARE MATERIAL

‘THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD’ (CHANGESNOWBOWIE VERSION) FIRST OF SIX TRACKS TO BE RELEASED OVER SIX WEEKS

CHANGESNOWBOWIE LIMITED EDITION NINE TRACK LP/CD OF PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED MATERIAL TO BE ISSUED FOR RECORD STORE DAY 18th APRIL, 2020

8th January 2020 London

Parlophone Records is proud to announce DAVID BOWIE IS IT ANY WONDER? a six track EP of unreleased and rare tracks to be released over six weeks.

The first of these is a previously unreleased version of ‘The Man Who Sold The World’, released today as a streaming-only 1 track digital single in celebration of both David’s birthday and the 50th anniversary of the writing and recording of this classic. Five more songs will be released on a weekly basis from 17th January.

’THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD’ (CHANGESNOWBOWIE VERSION) is taken from the 9-track session ChangesNowBowie, recorded for radio and broadcast by the BBC on David’s 50th birthday on 8th January, 1997.

The broadcast featured an interview with David by Mary Anne Hobbs interspersed with specially recorded birthday messages and questions from the likes of Scott Walker, Damon Albarn, Bono, Robert Smith and many more.

This mostly acoustic session was a stripped back affair featuring some of David’s favourites of his own compositions and was produced by Bowie himself, Reeves Gabrels and Mark Plati.

CHANGESNOWBOWIE was recorded and mixed at Looking Glass Studios in New York in November 1996 during rehearsals for David’s 50th birthday concert at Madison Square Garden. Gail Ann Dorsey (bass, vocals), Reeves Gabrels (guitars) and Mark Plati (keyboards and programming) accompanied David on the recording.

CHANGESNOWBOWIE will be released in limited quantities on LP and CD for Record Store Day on 18th April, 2020. The cover art for the album will features a portrait of David by renowned photographer Albert Watson, taken in New York in 1996. (See montage for cover)

More details about the album will be announced shortly.

DAVID BOWIE 'THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD' (CHANGESNOWBOWIE) IS AVAILABLE NOW ON PARLOPHONE

DAVID BOWIE CHANGESNOWBOWIE RELEASED ON PARLOPHONE ON 18TH APRIL, 2020 FOR RECORD STORE DAY
    ETA: Up on Tidal, Deezer, etc., in lossless quality.
    Last edited by Jon; 01-08-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was reading a book recently almost all day long with my Bowie playlist on, and you know which LP made me most often to look up from the book and focus on music, because it was so good it was distracting me? Earthling. (e.g. "Don't you let my letter get you down", so powerful) I think I probably mentioned something similar here before... still works.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I was reading a book recently almost all day long with my Bowie playlist on, and you know which LP made me most often to look up from the book and focus on music, because it was so good it was distracting me? Earthling. (e.g. "Don't you let my letter get you down", so powerful) I think I probably mentioned something similar here before... still works.
    The band Bowie had in that era was killer. I know there other opinions about this but I'm a big fan of the Reeves Gabrels era. There was a lot experimentation & those records sound even better today.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is there any definitive book on Bowie? I don't think he ever wrote an autobiography, but a highly recommended biography would be great.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Outside will always be my favorite album of his. Not just because it was influenced by Trent or because of its association with the Dissonance tour, but because it's one bad-ass motherfucking album that's light years ahead of its time. Sure, the narrative and some of the characters get a little hokey, but I think that's kind of the point. Who's going to argue with a little Starman piss-taking on an album that has gems like The Motel, Strangers When We Meet, The Voyeur of Utter Destruction, Hallo Spaceboy, A Small Plot of Land, and on and on and on. Even the b-sides from that album are fucking choice..

If you're as big a stan of this album as I apparently am, track down a bootleg copy of the rejected Leon Suites that were originally submitted to the record label and eventually morphed into the Outside album as we know it today..

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-...elease/2851158

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-...elease/9797092

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm excited to have the ChangesNowBowie album officially released, with all those semi-acoustic live performances from 1997. The complete radio broadcast with additional tracks is on YouTube (probably gonna get yanked soon)... but it'll be nice to have the whole thing on vinyl/CD for Record Store Day this year:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Is there any definitive book on Bowie? I don't think he ever wrote an autobiography, but a highly recommended biography would be great.
    I'm looking for one as well. I was able to get a copy of David Bowie: An Illustrated Record recently, and it made me long for an oversized coffee table book like The Beatles Anthology.

As far as the RSD release(s), is there going to end up being 6 new releases?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Not just because it was influenced by Trent
    less NIN, much more inspired by The Young Gods and Scott Walker (songs like "The Motel").

speaking of Walker, his birthday message to Bowie from that broadcast still gives me chills, especially now that both of them are gone. cycle of love and inspiration and influence between them forever and ever.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Is Bowie's lowercase 'db' logo intended to look like a cock and balls?

I've wondered this for the longest time.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Which came first “The Perfect Drug” or “Little Wonder”?