Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: PIG - and Other Raymond Watts Projects

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's only 18 copies of Wrecked remastered on vinyl available. If I were a betting man, I'd water the remaining copies will be sold at the Risen release show. So if you've been considering buying a copy, now is the time to do it.

https://armalyte.bandcamp.com/album/pig-wrecked-2017

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    New Video:

Tour dates:

PIG TOUR DATES:
    * = with KILLING JOKE
    *Sat, Sept 1 - Seattle WA @ El Corazon
    *Sun, Sept 2 - Portland OR @ Star Theater
    *Tue, Sept 4 - San Francisco CA @ DNA Lounge
    *Wed, Sept 5 – Los Angeles CA @ Regent Theater
    *Fri, Sept 7 – Denver CO @ Oriental Theater
    Sat, Sept 8 – Kansas City MO
    *Sun, Sept 9 – Columbus OH @ Skully’s Music Diner
    *Mon, Sept 10 – Baltimore MD @ Soundstage
    *Tue, Sept 11 – Boston MA @ The Paradise
    *Wed, Sept 12 – New York NY @ Irving Plaza
    Thu, Sept 13 – Pittsburgh PA
    Fri, Sept 14 – Detroit MI
    Sat, Sept 15 – Huntington WV – V Club
    Sun, Sept 16 – St Louis MO
    *Mon, Sept 17 – Dallas TX @ Granada Theater
    *Tue, Sept 18 – Austin TX @ The Mohawk
    *Wed, Sept 19 – Houston TX @ Warehouse Live
    Sun, Sept 23 - Philadelphia PA @ PhilaMOCA (Philadelphia Mausoleum of Contemporary Art)
    Sun, Sept 30 – Chicago IL @ Bottom Lounge

Sucks that there is no Vancouver date again or anything in Canada this time for that matter.... Might have to try and make that Seattle show. I could have sworn Raymond said the London show we're going to be the only live show this year. Guess he changed his mind.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Pig+ kj???? Wow!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Bet you KJ doesn't make it. They seem to almost always have issues and cancel. If they do make it, holy shit what a show.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    On the one hand I'd fucking LOVE to go to this. KJ put on one of the best shows I've ever seen. On the other they're known for cancelling half their shit and there's no Toronto date. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the new album, but I need a few more listens. I can tell this will be a grower.

For now, I can say I'm disappointed Cult of Chaos is identical to the Prey & Obey version. It's a minor complaint.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I like it. Half of the album is recycled which is what it is I guess. It's good. A bit more of a nod to older Pig than the last album was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I like it. Half of the album is recycled which is what it is I guess. It's good. A bit more of a nod to older Pig than the last album was.
    I only previously heard the songs that appeared on Prey & Obey, so most of this is new to me. I marked out when Hangman's Wooing started and I recognized it as Preach. He'll yeah. I love this song. I'm glad it's back as a new version.

BTW, If He Swings By The String is available for purchase on Amazon. It is part of the Electronic Saviors: Industrial Music To Cure Cancer Volume V: Remembrance compilation.

When we lose someone close to us, it fills us with a void, an emptiness. We try to move on in the best way we can. Sometimes we throw ourselves into the things that we love most. One of those passions is surely music. Metropolis Records and Distortion Productions are proud to present the fifth volume in the critically acclaimed Electronic Saviors series, Remembrance. Cancer survivor and industrial scene promoter and DJ, Jim Semonik has once again joined forces with longtime friend and collaborator, Chase Dudley (boxed warning) to bring together bands and artists from across the broad spectrum of the industrial scene to create this massive compilation album. Tracks by coldwave and industrial rock greats, Pig, Mindless Faith and 16Volt share the space with newcomers FIRES, Esther Black and Encephalon. The tracks range from the club friendly future pop of Ashbury Heights to the tribal stylings of Stoneburner to the dark electro of Ludovico Technique and Red Lokust. Once again, the diversity of the industrial scene is on display for all to hear.
    https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Sa.../dp/B07C7MNHR7

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I freaked when I heard Hangman's Wooing. It sounded so familiar but couldn't put a finger on it until the chorus hit. Instantly went back and listened to Preach. Not sure which is better, tbh.

Awesome he finished and released it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rise and Repent LP and digital is available NOW at Bandcamp.

https://armalyte.bandcamp.com/album/pig-rise-repent

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    At first listen, I couldn't get into this record. I listened to it a couple more times, I'm still not fond of the first half of the record. The 2nd half is what shines through for me.
    Not as good as "The Gospel" in my opinion, but still a solid effort from Mr. Watts - Better than almost every KMFDM record combined from the last 10 years, lol.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Link to the album release livestream which starts after 4pm EDT:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've listened to Risen 10 times maybe. I think it is Pig's best album yet. Or at least ranked among his best.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    I've listened to Risen 10 times maybe. I think it is Pig's best album yet. Or at least ranked among his best.
    Yeah, it's really grown on me since my first listen. I still don't think it's better than The Gospel, but it's a damn good record. There's still a few tracks at the beginning of the record that I skip. From Rise & Repent all the way until the ending track, there isn't a single lull. Leather Pig, When I'm Done, The hangman's wooing all fantastic tracks!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's good. Not sure where it stands against The Gospel. Gospel probably wins by a little, maybe. Best? No way is this better than Wrecked or Sinsation. For me, half of the album being recycled really hurts it for me. Good songs. Just lack of originality. On older albums, it wasn't this bad. Maybe two or three songs tops. Not half.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quality of the actual songs aside, what I'm enjoying most out of this current PIG era is the production. Past PIG albums always seemed like certain elements were mixed disproportionately, especially the vocals. Things were too quiet when they needed to be louder, some things were just muddled together. The levels on The Gospel are fantastic in comparison to past albums and I hope he keeps up this level of quality for everything from here on out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Got my copy in yesterday, and spun it once so far. This is spectacular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Yeah, it's really grown on me since my first listen. I still don't think it's better than The Gospel, but it's a damn good record. There's still a few tracks at the beginning of the record that I skip. From Rise & Repent all the way until the ending track, there isn't a single lull. Leather Pig, When I'm Done, The hangman's wooing all fantastic tracks!
    B-b-but Truth is Sin and Loud Lost & Lawless are phenomenal tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    It's good. Not sure where it stands against The Gospel. Gospel probably wins by a little, maybe. Best? No way is this better than Wrecked or Sinsation. For me, half of the album being recycled really hurts it for me. Good songs. Just lack of originality. On older albums, it wasn't this bad. Maybe two or three songs tops. Not half.
    Wrecked is so over rated. Its my second least favorite Pig album, just above GAM. Also, like myself, I'm sure many of us never heard the original tracks that pre-date Risen. They were only available on tour exclusive LPs if I remember correctly. So half the tracks being new mixes has no effect on my opinion.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    B-b-but Truth is Sin and Loud Lost & Lawless are phenomenal tracks!
    You're absolutely correct with that statement. However, "The Vice Girls" is utter trash. Probably the worst track on the record. I actually just deleted the track from my playlist so I can start at The Revelation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    You're absolutely correct with that statement. However, "The Vice Girls" is utter trash. Probably the worst track on the record. I actually just deleted the track from my playlist so I can start at The Revelation.
    Yeahhhh, Vice Girls is my least favorite track too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Vice is one of my favs on this, maybe the first track of the new ones that I liked on the album, then Leather Pig and When I'm Done. When I'm Done is very much like a Pig Orchestra track, I love it. I didn't like many of the other new tracks in the first half much at first (or at least as much), but it's fucking great now after it soaked in.

Anita Sylph's contributions are so good here - I know he's had some female backing vocals once in a while but they're a little more prominent on this and add a lot. She was cool in the live show too, though only there for her key tracks, wonder if she's returning for the Fall live shows.

I'm glad some of the rarities got proper releases (even as alternate versions/mixes), most people wouldn't have even heard them before, and I'm not as iffy about the recycling of other ideas as I was initially. It's just a good release as a whole.

I hope they kick ass this Fall.
    Last edited by blassster; 06-13-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Ray's had a long history of transporting songs from one release to the next. There's this number which has alternately been called Watts / The Murder Car which showed up a few times. More often than not he tweaks things, Viva Evil was a number off the Compound Eye sessions w/ Marc Heal which eventually landed on The Gospel, etc. When I'm Done and If He Swings By The String both showed up on the tour exclusive Second Coming CD from last year.

Also, I know you guys are hearing Bowie's "Fame" in Loud Lawless and Lost.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 06-13-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah the song Watts has been renamed a bunch of times. At least four or five.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    At first I thought of Manson's I Don't Like The Drugs, but immediately remembered Bowie's Fame inspired Manson.

Also, Viva Evil was originally a demo called Evil Does, and it was sold on theswining dot com, along with Preach (which became The Hangman's Wooing), So Pretty, and Some Guys Have All The Luck.
    Last edited by OSPF; 06-14-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    At first I thought of Manson's I Don't Like The Drugs, but immediately remembered Bowie's Fame inspired Manson.

Also, Viva Evil was originally a demo called Evil Does, and it was sold on theswining dot com, along with Preach (which became The Hangman's Wooing), So Pretty, and Some Guys Have All The Luck.
    True! I'd almost forgotten about those. I was a broke college student with no credit card at the time. Anyone got those kicking around? I had Some Guys but nothing else.

A few listens in. It's hard for me to call this a cohesive release due to the sheer amount of tracks and alternate versions present. It feels almost like halfway a new album and halfway a compilation. Very, very good though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Are we allowed to trade and share MP3s on here? (Only ones that cannot be legitimately purchased, of course.) Because I'd be willing to share. I'm looking for rarities too, like the original Spank the Monkey, and a radio interview/performance Watts did for Praise the Lard. I shared it online briefly, but eventually my own copy was lost.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

Yeah, when I tuned into that YouTube stream last weekend, I was like "Oh they're playing fame" and then I started listening closer and I was like "wait... it's fame... but with different words?" and I was confused on what the heck I was actually hearing. I kept going back and forth in my mind, "is it fame? is it not fame?" (That live YouTube stream wasn't the best quality)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Are we allowed to trade and share MP3s on here? (Only ones that cannot be legitimately purchased, of course.) Because I'd be willing to share. I'm looking for rarities too, like the original Spank the Monkey, and a radio interview/performance Watts did for Praise the Lard. I shared it online briefly, but eventually my own copy was lost.
    Generally it's frowned on when done in public, and course should absolutely not be done with officially released works in any form. But those haven't been available in over a decade and I don't think Ray would object (he recently gave the okay for the early version of Genuine American Monster to be shared, after all).

I've got the original Spank The Monkey on a hard drive, I think. I'll PM you later.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Liking Risen a lot more than The Gospel, which I can't seem to get into.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    They announced some more dates and they're playing a tiny club in Lancaster 15 minutes from where I just moved, gonna be awesome.

Have listened to Risen a ton in the past month and I definitely like it more than The Gospel. It really might be the best Pig album.