Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vietnam War (2017)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...-war/96614928/

They started scoring this in late 2012!!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...-war/96614928/

They started scoring this in late 2012!!
    Link just redirects to the USA Today homepage for me. Had to actually do a copy/paste. Weird.

edit: man, does it feel weird to anyone else to see Trent sitting next to Ken Burns? Not weird in a bad way at all, as I have nothing but the utmost respect for both of them as extremely talented and accomplished people in their fields.

It's just...ya know...growing up watch Ken Burns documentaries on PBS and listening to The Downward Spiral, I never exactly put those people together.
    Last edited by theimage13; 01-15-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm sure if you told most of us in the 90's that the guy who sang "Closer" was working with the director of The Civil War we'd look at you pretty funny.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The description on nin.com gets me really excited for this score.

But still... 9 months to go till autumn. I wonder why there is already so much promotion for this score while the first interviews for Patriots day came only on the day of the nationwide release. And even information about the making of NTAE is still very sparse.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I'm a bit confused by the nature of this though. All the descriptions call it a 10 episode documentary but it is also being called a film too? Is it a film or TV series and are TRAR scoring both or one of them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the nature of this though. All the descriptions call it a 10 episode documentary but it is also being called a film too? Is it a film or TV series and are TRAR scoring both or one of them?
    AFAIK it will be like Burns' other documentaries and debut on PBS. HOWEVER, there is recent precedent (OJ Made in America-5 parts, 7 hours) for showing a long documentary briefly in a couple theaters to qualify for the Oscars.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    AFAIK it will be like Burns' other documentaries and debut on PBS. HOWEVER, there is recent precedent (OJ Made in America-5 parts, 7 hours) for showing a long documentary briefly in a couple theaters to qualify for the Oscars.
    Oof, would be pretty harrowing watching an 18 hour Vietnam documentary in one go but that sounds plausible

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This is just a semantics thing. Technically, all documentaries are films; the way it is edited does not change that fact. A TV series is an entirely different animal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    another preview with a part of the soundtrack (probably)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Fuckin hyped for this. I knew Burns' has been working on this years ago.

Its awesome when TR crosses over into things im already excited for, like El-Ps Ill Sleep When Your Dead and the theme for Black Ops 2.

I love Burns' The War and The Civil War series was what got me into documentaries when I was younger. I haven't bought a score since TGWTDT, but ill probably pick this one up along with the inevitably expensive blu-rays of the show itself.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I just learn about this today. WHY? Have I finally gotten a life outside of NIN?

Seriously, I am beyond ecstatic. I love Ken Burns; I have watched The Civil War and Baseball when they originally aired on PBS and I've been re-watching them over and over since. I cannot wait for this.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Official PBS press release for THE VIETNAM WAR (posted yesterday, includes broadcast details)
    Last edited by Jon; 04-13-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Isn't this thing supposed to be like 18 hours long or something? I wonder how much music they composed for it..

*Prepares $1,500 nest egg for Vietnam War 16-LP boxset*

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    My guess is it'll be extensive, but not much more than Dragon Tattoo. ​Between their stuff, Yo-Yo Ma's contributions, and the period music, it'll even out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Isn't this thing supposed to be like 18 hours long or something? I wonder how much music they composed for it..

*Prepares $1,500 nest egg for Vietnam War 16-LP boxset*
    From the New York Times: “The Vietnam War,” which premieres in September on PBS, will ultimately feature more than two cumulative hours of original music from Mr. Reznor and Mr. Ross, along with reworked bits from Nine Inch Nails songs and their scores for “The Social Network” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    From the New York Times: “The Vietnam War,” which premieres in September on PBS, will ultimately feature more than two cumulative hours of original music from Mr. Reznor and Mr. Ross, along with reworked bits from Nine Inch Nails songs and their scores for “The Social Network” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”
    Damn. I wonder if any of the reworked Nails stuff is part of what they offered Banksy for his Walled Off Hotel exhibit..

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder, because sometimes you can hear their influences pretty clearly, if TR/AR took any inspiration from the Apocalypse Now score, which was one of the first major films to use electronics instead of conventional orchestras.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I wonder, because sometimes you can hear their influences pretty clearly, if TR/AR took any inspiration from the Apocalypse Now score, which was one of the first major films to use electronics instead of conventional orchestras.

well, wendy carlos was using electronic instrumentation for a WHILE before this came out. i would say A Clockwork Orange (which came out in 1972) is a better example of a major film using electronics for score.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

edit: man, does it feel weird to anyone else to see Trent sitting next to Ken Burns?
    You know, it sounded weird to me, but I had a bit of an epiphany: I was watching a recent doc about the Oklahoma City Bombing and a lot of the music sounded like it could have been TR+AR.
    And it occurred to me that Trent and Co aren't cutting edge young artists anymore and those of us who grew up listening to OG nin are getting old!
    That being said, I do think that TR+AR are largely responsible for creating the current trend of electronic scores. It's just that the industry is catching up.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    well, wendy carlos was using electronic instrumentation for a WHILE before this came out. i would say A Clockwork Orange (which came out in 1972) is a better example of a major film using electronics for score.
    True, but Kubrick didn't use her work exclusively, which became a source of friction by the time she (and Rachel Elkind, the Atticus Ross of this analogy) collaborated with him again on The Shining; he would get too attached to the orchestral versions of songs and then reject anything they came up with to replace it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    True, but Kubrick didn't use her work exclusively, which became a source of friction by the time she (and Rachel Elkind, the Atticus Ross of this analogy) collaborated with him again on The Shining; he would get too attached to the orchestral versions of songs and then reject anything they came up with to replace it.
    i really want to hear the version of The Shining that was fully scored by them. that would be so goooooooood

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    You mean the score itself, or the film re-scored with their work?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post

Watch the #VietnamWarPBS preview as Ken Burns and Lynn Novick take you inside their upcoming #documentary series, featuring a score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross: to.pbs.org/2gZuUqp

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    You mean the score itself, or the film re-scored with their work?

i never get tired of being able to use this gif

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    You've got a PM with one of them in it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    You've got a PM with one of them in it.
    Any chance of sharing the wealth?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In case you missed the airing of the preview like I did:

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-viet..._medium=direct

Short section about TR & AR begins at 8:30 mark.

I get fucking goosebumps hearing Ken Burns speak about the music of Trent and Atticus: it's a titan of one field recognizing the titans of another, and I'll always be so moved by that. (still can't believe I met Ken last year. Almost glad I didn't know that TR & AR were contributing at the time, otherwise I might've lost the power of speech entirely!)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Film pre-orders are now up on PBS with several configurations to choose from. Expected to ship by September 19, 2017:

10-Disc DVD set (w/ free Journal)$94.99
    10-Disc Blu-ray set (w/ free Journal)$124.99

10-Disc DVD set + An Intimate History [Hardcover] (w/ free Journal)$149.99
    10-Disc Blu-ray set + An Intimate History [Hardcover] (w/ free Journal)$179.99

Box art is the same as the poster/ad.