Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The Closer. Chappelle

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    edit to correct a spelling error, but also wanted to say that ever since I started seeing people excuse his performance away as "he goes after everyone!" all I could hear was my very openly racist (in the literal sense, not some "oh you think everything is racist" way) dad laughing his own words off with "I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally!"
    That's exactly the vibe I get when I see Dave crowing about what a "feminist" he is, and bragging about how he was friends with that transgender comedian, and how that seemingly makes him absolutely NOT sexist or transphobic or homophobic in any way, which is the equivalent of "some of my best friends are black."

He says that Daphne finally yelled to him that she wanted to be seen as a human being (paraphrasing), and he understood because he wanted that for himself, too; but he spent the entire schtick treating them like they were less than humans and wondering why they're pissed off at him.

Watching Dave say "gender is a 'fact' and then talking about sex parts just demonstrates Dave's ignorance about any of this stuff (ditto for the Harry Potter chick).
    Last edited by allegro; 10-25-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The part where he “jokes” about trans women donning poser-female blackface is also really fucking disgusting and ignorant. He is constantly drawing this civil rights equivalency that strangely positions race as a separate battle. It’s also kind of exhausting to hear him stage this fake conflict as if the other (lgbt) side is getting all they want, and according to his narrative that’s the way it’s been.

Which is bullshit.

on this board I got mocked by that DigitalChaos guy for saying gay marriage isn’t a “state law” thing. The rights of gay people to live their lives and be left alone… this isn’t old history. Chapelle’s acting like gay people haven’t been fighting… then he makes this distancing “joke” about Stonewall riots being the “sort” of queer he respects…

if he really feels that way he’s a walking contradiction
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-24-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Consequences (meager as they are). And naturally, he’s the victim here.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d....co/WT7JcvCba6
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-25-2021 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Good god that was painful to watch. Would love to know who his LGBTQ+ friends are that are cool with it. Also, nobody gives a shit about your documentary right now, Dave.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    If he comes to Toronto with that doc he's going to get more than just a 'conversation' with one of the most engaged and politically active Trans* communities on the continent.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Good god that was painful to watch. Would love to know who his LGBTQ+ friends are that are cool with it. Also, nobody gives a shit about your documentary right now, Dave.
    If Dave actually had any LGBTQ+ friends, first of all, he wouldn't have said what he did and then refuse to apologize for it, and secondly, he wouldn't have USED THE WRONG ACRONYM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

The Closer. Chappelle

Edit
    Last edited by Pillfred; 10-28-2021 at 01:08 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    While I agree with basically all of the more detailed critiques of Chappelle & this latest special espoused here, I feel like a really simple breakdown of the issue is easy to lay out as well for someone who may not want to get into the weeds of what he actually says. Chappelle, a rich, famous celebrity who has spent his legendary & hugely influential career talking about practically every issue under the sun for both comedic & sometimes activist reasons, has now chosen for FOUR straight specials to stop the train & repeatedly drill down on the trans community & what he thinks of them. The trans community are a tiny, tiny sliver of the populous of this country, and hold no power over any other group (unlike the issues in the past he's chosen to address in a serious manner). Yet he has now come back to this well over and over, proving he is obsessed. If he would have just cracked a few jokes early on and moved on, no one would be up in arms, and one could chalk it up to what he has been most of his career: an equal opportunity ball busting comic. But instead, this need to address the trans stuff over and over can only show ill feelings, no matter what he says. Just let it go man.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    ...snipped...
    What the fuck? Why would anyone have thought this was a good idea?

Chapelle should realize this is inappropriate, so should the principal and his agent, and the teachers, and basically everyone.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    he pretty much told the students he’s better than them. ok we get it, dave. you’re an elitist. we know. we got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    he pretty much told the students he’s better than them. ok we get it, dave. you’re an elitist. we know. we got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah....why show up to a high school to tell kids that you think you're better than them?

Who fucking does that?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    Yeah....why show up to a high school to tell kids that you think you're better than them?

Who fucking does that?
    Rich, egotistical bastards. That's who.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Ahhh, the old "I know how to fix this. I just need to show everyone how I'm right."

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Did you guys see Dave induct Hova into the RnR Hall of Fame?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Did you guys see Dave induct Hova into the RnR Hall of Fame?
    It was a nice induction speech.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Wil Wheaton hit the nail on the head!