Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just got a Novation Bass Station II and Korg Volca Bass/Beats. IT's all great, but that Bass Station... just holy shit. For the price this thing is unbeatable.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'd love to have walls of modulars, but the nomadic lifestyle puts a serious crimp on hardware sports.

Caustic is my new video game. Hell, it's my new facebook, instagram and twitter combined. I've made something like 30 songs on it while standing in line, lounging in bed, and literally dancing WHILE I make music. This app is THE reason I just picked up a touch screen laptop.

Anyone else got great synth app(s) to recommend?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    not sure if they're on a non-iOS tablet, but Sunvox and Korg Gadget are amazing. Also Borderlands.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just got a Novation Bass Station II and Korg Volca Bass/Beats. IT's all great, but that Bass Station... just holy shit. For the price this thing is unbeatable.
    It's a great time for inexpensive hardware. I just got the Volca Sample last night. Having to upload samples through IOS blows, but this little thing is pretty powerful and flat out fun for $160. How's the Bass and Beats?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    How's the Bass and Beats?
    The Bass is pretty fantastic... I'm not entirely sure about Beats yet. It seems very limited, and while it might work for some people, I'm not sure how useful it's going to be for me. I haven't really tried using it in a song yet though, so the jury's not out really. Both of them have pretty noisy outputs too, which is acceptable for the price.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don't think this is the right place to post this question, but it seems to be the best option.

Has anyone here had experience with pressing your music on flexi discs?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, sure, that's cool and all, but do you have the original original anaLOG synth?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I prefer graintable.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    So this is happening. FAKK.

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/modulars/system-55

I'll be playing with it at NAMM this week. I can't wait to get my hands on this beast.

35K tho... I doubt I'll afford one anytime soon...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Best NAMM ever?
    Aforementioned Moog Modular re-releases, while awe inspiring, are already sold out, and were never something I was going to buy, or probably even see in person.
    Arp relaunches with the Odyssey, available in three classic styles.
    Roland announces an four-voice true analog polysynth "flagship"
    Korg MS20 module, with osc sync, fm, and the new SQ-1 analog step sequencer*
    Dave Smith relaunches Sequential with the all-analog six-voice Prophet 6 (The founder of Roland persuaded the CEO of Yamaha to give the name back to Dave!)
    Oberheim Two Voice is now shipping
    ...and that AIRA mixer is actually pretty intriguing.

Of the above, I do think the only thing I've got my eyes set on is the MS20 module. The original designers said they felt that as successful as the MS20 reissues were, the design was never quite finished, and this strikes me as the final iteration of this particular design. Maybe in five years, they'll make a version that's got digital control (like the MS20 VST or modern hardware analog synths) but if it's $1000, I've got to figure out what I can sell to offset that cost and pick one up, as I'm currently on a spending freeze in preparation for a real estate purchase.

Synthesizers at NAMM haven't been this crazy since 1999/2000. Totally psyched, and I can't wait to see what the next five years brings.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Of the above, I do think the only thing I've got my eyes set on is the MS20 module.
    Not excited at all about those Teenage Engineering $60 pocket synths? I want them all

Also, yeah, I'm really interested in that Aira mixer.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Those pocket synths are cool little suckers, I want 'em!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    sort of geared out. never thought I would say that. feel like I have pretty much everything I need to implement any vision I have, I just need to increase my skills and my time.

EDIT: Watches Prophet 6 and Two Voice videos, momentarily feels gear lust; subsides
    Last edited by screwdriver; 01-24-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Not excited at all about those Teenage Engineering $60 pocket synths? I want them all

Also, yeah, I'm really interested in that Aira mixer.
    I ended up ordering those last night. They are probably toys, but I can't resist anything that makes sounds (pretty sweet sounds according to the videos so far) at that price point. The cases are apparently going to run $40 each, so I'm just going to DIY something that can hold all 3.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    My favorite thing I saw this week there that I don't already own was the ARP Odyssey. Second Favorite thing... Prophet 6. Both will be mine this next quarter.

Oh I also met Martin Gore. Oh my god...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Oh I also met Martin Gore. Oh my god...
    Haha, I saw your YouTube comment on whatever synth that was. That's a pretty great moment you had there.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Haha, I saw your YouTube comment on whatever synth that was. That's a pretty great moment you had there.

Dude. so insane. He of course was gracious as hell and we had a good laugh.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    feel like I have pretty much everything I need to implement any vision I have, I just need to increase my skills and my time
    My feelings exactly. I am not even remotely good enough with the stuff I already have... sometimes I feel like it is too much for one person to do everything, so I switch to doing NOTHING instead. ;-)

And the most interesting stuff from NAMM? Nothing. (OK that Sequential news was nice one, and that analog/supernatural small Roland...)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well, if I had 2500 dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now, I'd run out and buy a Buchla 252e

so ridiculously sexy

too bad it's already completely sold out.....................

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yesterday I finished testing all sounds from novationmusic.com for Mininova. It's capable of strong sound and I quite enjoyed some of the echoed arpeggious, or brutal screaming "guitars", easily tweaking things in realtime...

Today I entered advert to sell it. Overall, I don't really enjoy its virtual analog sound that much (and I have real analog), I don't feel the need to start it up and play, and even though it is definitely good product, I'll prefer to have cleaner table and mind, you know.

...but I am more and more interested in Roland JD-Xi... ;-)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Today I entered advert to sell it. Overall, I don't really enjoy its virtual analog sound that much (and I have real analog)
    To me, the analog vs digital debate is getting a little out of hand. The mininova isn't very good... but that isn't because it's a digital synth. There are hardware digital synths that will blow you away, and there's a lot of analog units that are really lackluster and pretty boring to be honest. Yes, the new buzzword with hardware synths is "analog," but most people don't even really know what that means. I will never tire of my Virus TI, and anyone who has one of these and really knows how to use it will agree that it's the bee's knees when it comes to aggressive sound design.

Synthesis isn't about purism... the idealization of analog gear in the synth world is a relatively new thing. It's awesome to have great analog gear, it's also awesome to have a modded digital video game system from the 80s that pulls out piercing chip tune sounds. These are all just tools, some are better than others. There's no standard qualifier though, and there's analog synths I own and love that I'd sell long before I'd sell my Virus.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yes I agree with you completely, Jinsai.

I just mentioned I don't like Mininova's (virtual analog) sound very much, and for the analog stuff I have something else (DSI Mopho, the only one analog I have, and I love it). Besides that, there are 5 digital synths in my room and I love them all too. :-)

And my first synth love will forever be Yamaha SY-99, just recently replaced batteries, broken key and floppy drive. What about you, people, do you have one synth with emotional connection to? :-)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I am looking for something to sequence my gear together without a computer. 4 synths & a drum machine. any suggestions?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I am looking for something to sequence my gear together without a computer. 4 synths & a drum machine. any suggestions?
    Up until the latest NAMM, I was eyeing up the Yamaha RS-7000, or some shade of MPC.

If you're more of a step-sequencer kind of guy, then you want exactly this.

The Cirklon seems to be the hot shit right now, too - check out some videos before taking the plunge though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    had a little solo hardware jam tonight in my studio. made a bunch of drum samples with my MS20. imported them into Maschine. Made some beats and then sequenced my Sub37 and went off for about a half an hour. its nothing special. but it was fun for not thinking too hard about anything.

https://soundcloud.com/dvydrns/burn-it-down

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just got a new (actually older because the new ones suck ass with their i5s) Imac and a Presonus Firestudio Project. I am gearing up to begin recording my band's album slowly by the end of the summer. My question for all of you gentleman is can anyone recommend a pair of monitor speakers that are relatively inexpensive ($400 max) but still worth my time. I would love to spend more but this computer and the interface cost a pretty penny. I also still need to get a few microphones too! I was looking at a pair of KRKs but I've changed my mind on those after a demo. They are too bassy and just not good for getting a flat EQ. I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thanks!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    My question for all of you gentleman is can anyone recommend a pair of monitor speakers that are relatively inexpensive ($400 max) but still worth my time. I would love to spend more but this computer and the interface cost a pretty penny. I also still need to get a few microphones too! I was looking at a pair of KRKs but I've changed my mind on those after a demo. They are too bassy and just not good for getting a flat EQ. I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thanks!
    With monitors, you get what you pay for, up til, I don't know, $1000. After that point, the law of diminishing returns applies. I got a pair of Yamaha MSP7s used for $600 via Craigslist, which I quite like, but even those are kinda 'low end' as far as monitors go. Prior to that, I'd bought M-Audi AV40s, which were more computer speaker than audio monitor, and the capacitor in the internal amp exploded black goo over everything. KRKs are also consumery - much marketing, much bass. If you're spending $400, look at Guitar Center used, eBay & Craigslist for things in that price range, and when they come up, research what people have to say about those monitors. If it's generally good, see if you can test them out, or just pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I'm going to hijack this thread briefly to say that the ZOOM B3 (http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/b3) is my new favorite thing. Finally got a chance to really play with it tonight and oh my god was that fun. I had only used a metal zone and phaser before, so having access to this huge range of simulated pedals was amazing. It also has effects to make it sound like you're playing a bass synth, so it kinda fits here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone own the Access Virus TI snow? I have tried looking for demos of it on YouTube but there aren't any great videos, for whatever reason.

I've heard a lot of great things about how it sounds but negative things about its reliability and compatibility with DAWs. I've always been tempted to buy the Virus TI Snow.