Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    That vibrato, tho.

I can see how this track might disappoint some, but Trent can do Blackstar all he wants, IMO. This is just so delicious.

Not that this is entirely outside of TR's wheelhouse or anything, but I still find it wonderful that he's willing to take these kinds of sonic risks. So many bands with NIN's longevity end up just resting on their laurels and repeating past work, but TR's been tossing curveballs since, well, ever I suppose. But it's awesome that he's still at it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    This song blows. God damn......including cheesy ender line with no music in the background.

Basically it's like Trent and Atticus are revisiting the Lost Highway soundtrack and doing Bowie in Bowie's place. Well guess what? Only Bowie can do Bowie.

You done fucked up! At first I thought I was listening to someone's Fruity Loops song... trying to pass it off as the new NIN.

You chose the wrong tangent Trent.. you should have stuck to the original plan for the trilogy. This song will be skipped constantly.

I DEMAND THAT THIS SONG BE REPLACED BEFORE THE RELEASE!
    ... if you don't like it make a better one. Let me know how that goes for you.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...down-the-door/

We find if we don’t watch ourselves we tend to try to get somewhere comfortable, because it feels better. And from the sound of the drums to the kind of frantic drumbeat to looking around the studio and seeing the untouched baritone tenor and alto sax that are sitting there. They’re there because they remind me that I can’t play them as well as I used to be able to. For 20 years, I’ve been saying I’m going to really get my technique back because it would be fun to do. And there they sit taunting me in the corner. We pulled them out and we just started fucking around really, led with Atticus [Ross] arranging. I was just kind of going, an hour performance kind of turned into this thing that felt like we hadn’t been there before and that started to reveal a whole different character. The space changed and then we felt motivated. When it came time to sing I was really just trying things out, just to see. I never had the courage to sing like that, I didn’t know I could sing like that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Just got an email from the NIN store saying that a FLAC download of this was available, btw (since I'd chosen FLAC on checkout). Seems like the download might not actually work at the moment, got some AWS signature errors. But anyone who bought from the NIN store and chose lossless might have a nice crisp copy soon.

Edit: Oh, interesting. So if you click on the "Download" button, you end up with a URL to an AWS server which includes a bunch of querystring stuff after the zip name. That full URL, with the querystrings, ends up throwing an error, but if you remove the querystring stuff (delete everything after the .zip), the zipfile downloads just fine. FLACs ahoy!

Edit edit: Ah, seems they fixed it so you don't have to go through all that. Woo!
    Last edited by xolotl; 05-17-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So far with these 3 EPs/LP I get more of an abstract, conceptual, artistic feel and above all structure.

Its been 24 hrs and I've had several listens to this track.

I hear some familiar sounds from recent AR/TR tracks, and some new sounds I've never heard.

Immediately I felt a jazz vibe with the fast HH and snare work.

God break downnnnnnn the dooooooOOoOOoooor... God break downn the dooOOoor. That's fucking catchier than I first realized. It's stuck in my head.

When the layered vox start at 2:42 it straight up sounds like DB is backing TR up. Pretty cool.

The fast modulated Synth Arp is pretty awesome, I would have loved to see a 16 bar break out and build up with the synth arp and perc.

I would have increased the high end on the main vox and on the percs just a bit.

There are a few things I don't like but who cares about that.

I never know what the fuck TR is singing about... but with the idea of David Bowie mixed in I can't help but think of standing at the pearly gates which are closed, and I'm not allowed in. God... break down the door! (let me in).

I dono... I never know.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Alright, finally listened to it. I didn't immediately love it, though I didn't immediately hate it like I did with Everything. For all the references to Bowie, I think the main one should be that he's trying something different, which is something Bowie did quite often.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    All Time Low, another track undeniably influenced by Bowie has the line "Shut the goddamn door"
    What is it about Bowie influence and doors? Is this a coincidence?
    Bowie talked about death during the Reality documentary, equating it to "walking through a door" or something to that effect.

It's also worth noting that the final shot of "Lazarus" shows Bowie closing a door:

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Here's the interview.
    Wow. Great, great interview.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Alright, finally listened to it. I didn't immediately love it, though I didn't immediately hate it like I did with Everything. For all the references to Bowie, I think the main one should be that he's trying something different, which is something Bowie did quite often.
    That's how I'm feeling listening to it right now for the first time.

This is fucking weird​.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    So it's Trent drumming eh, pretty nice

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Is it supposed to stop at 10:30 (duration, not time of day)? The little tile to click on the interview says it's 34 minutes but mine stops at 10:30 every time. Immediately after he talks about The Jesus and Mary Chain only playing for 12 minutes.
    Last edited by minusthesnake; 05-17-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    Is it supposed to stop at 10:30 (duration, not time of day)? The little tile to click on the interview says it's 34 minutes but mine stops at 10:30 every time. Immediately after he talks about The Jesus and Mary Chain only playing for 12 minutes.

same here.

Meanwhile, I found a short video clip from the same interview

edit: found another

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is a download of the song available for those who pre-ordered on nin.com?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mataxia View Post
    Yeah, I got an email with a download link just a little while ago. At first the link was a bit broken but they seem to have fixed that up. Listening to my FLAC now!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mataxia View Post
    Technically yes, but according to a few posters above, the link is dead when they try to download it. I think they got an email or the link in their original purchase email became active. I'm buying at the store on release date so that's all the info I've got.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just preordered the whole thing on iTunes for only 4.99 nice

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    Just preordered the whole thing on iTunes for only 4.99 nice
    "Albums" sure have gotten cheap. haha

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Meh. Hopefully the rest of the album isnt like this.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Can I trust this all white vinyl getting to me WITHOUT getting damaged?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The music was pretty cool. Not into the vocals.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Woke up to this.

Getting Outside and Blackstar Bowie vibes from this. I dig it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    LOST HIGHWAY 2.0, uber cool.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the line is "Everything all at once," perhaps a reference to Bill Nye's new book? Maybe kinda?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    Can I trust this all white vinyl getting to me WITHOUT getting damaged?
    Do you mean the sleeve? The LP itself is black. Live Nation is WAY better at packaging than Sandbag was and super quick to send a replacement if you have an issue. I buy from their stores all the time and always either receive a mint item or getting a mint replacement within a week if there was an issue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    Do you mean the sleeve? The LP itself is black. Live Nation is WAY better at packaging than Sandbag was and super quick to send a replacement if you have an issue. I buy from their stores all the time and always either receive a mint item or getting a mint replacement within a week if there was an issue.
    Yeah sorry. I'm talking about the special edition one from merchbar/spotify

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lol that Beats interview photo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love this- sounds like a Lost Track from The Lost Highway Soundtrack.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Found this on reddit
    Additional lyrics hidden in the FLAC file
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...lyrics_hidden/

Here they are as they are in the lyrics tag...
    GOD BREAK DOWN THE DOOR GOD BREAK DOWN THE DOOR YOU WON’T FIND THE ANSWERS HERE NOT THE ONES YOU CAME LOOKING FOR GOD BREAK DOWN THE DOOR EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE THERE AREN’T ANY ANSWERS HERE NO NO NOT ANYMORE WE ARE A TREACHEROUS PEOPLE AS NIGHT FALLS DOWN AGAIN IN THIS HOUSE OF DUST THE SHADES ARE DRAWN IN ALL OF THE THOUSANDS OF ROOMS WE SLEEP HYPNOTIZED FROM THE CENTER YES IN THIS NEW PLACE WE CALL HOME IS THERE ANYBODY BUT YOU SITTING IN THE DARK WONDERING IF YOU'LL REMOVE MY SKIN NOT SO DIFFERENT AFTER ALL REMOVE THE PAIN OR PUSH IT BACK IN MAYBE NOT SO DIFFERENT AFTER ALL THAT KIND OF THING JUST DOESN’T HAPPEN HERE I DIDN’T THINK THAT COULD HAPPEN AROUND HERE I DIDN’T THINK THAT COULD HAPPEN TO ME CAN YOU SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING PULL IT OUT, AND PUSH IT BACK SEE, I’M NOT FROM THIS WORLD NOT ANYMORE NOT ME AND I’VE COME TO BELIEVE THAT’S OK I KNOW WHO I AM YES, I BELIEVE I AM SLEEPING AFTER ALL
    Last edited by neorev; 05-17-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I like the sax! Cool song. Still got that typical nin ababc structure where c is Trent just saying some cool shit over and over again. I guess the formula works but I notice it more every time.

Video is neat, too