Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN spotting 2020

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Just a brief appearance at 0:27 in this video released by NIVA promoting their Save Our Stages fest.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Just a brief appearance at 0:27 in this video released by NIVA promoting their Save Our Stages fest.
    That's NIN starting at 0:24, even.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    A few new quotes from Trent on the making of Clint Mansell's score for "Requiem For A Dream":
    https://www.npr.org/2020/10/16/92394...und-of-sadness

Requiem was only the composer's second film score, and he says he felt way out of his depth. A self-taught guitar player from the industrial town of Stourbridge, 100 miles north of London, Mansell formed the band Pop Will Eat Itself when he was 19. The group's sample-heavy style — a mashup of post-punk, rock and hip-hop — was dubbed "grebo." They didn't garner any big hits, but "like the best music of that time, you felt like you were in a club," Reznor says. "If you saw other people at that rack in the record store, or wearing a t-shirt, you shared some common insight and secret society vibe. [The band] felt like a refreshing breath of truth. It wasn't concerned about political correctness or anything else. It just felt like an interesting collage of music and presentation. It just felt alive."

Reznor liked PWEI so much that he signed the band to his label, Nothing Records. He says that in his New Orleans base of operations at the time, "We had a big studio with a lot of rooms for people to hang out, and it also had two separate apartments attached to the building. At some point, after we had toured together and Clint and I had become friends and drinking buddies and kind of comrades, I vaguely remember he was in some form of crisis in his life, and was living in New York and needed to get away. And I said, 'Well, there's an apartment here. Anytime, you know — indefinitely — if you want to stay there, there's nobody living there.' "

Mansell was transitioning out of PWEI, and had just written an electronic score for Aronofsky's first feature, Pi. He moved into one of the apartments, and Reznor bought him his first Apple computer and Pro Tools setup. "I remember him working super hard, and my recollection is it taking quite a bit of time, and just hearing peripherally about the frustrations and the learning curve — but a real excitement," he says. "And to my amazement, this incredible film pops out, with this incredible soundtrack. I was really happy for him. And suddenly he's a big film composer."

Though Reznor says Mansell didn't directly inspire his own evolution into a film composer 10 years later with The Social Network, he adds: "Clint would have given me the confidence to feel like it could be done. You know, it's not an impossible thing. He's proven you can do that, without 20 years of university studies and degrees."

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I know it’s not technically NIN but there’s a Mank website out.
    https://www.thewhitewinecameupwiththefish.com/178

plus a more in depth trailer with some big band music
    https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/...david-fincher/

Also somebody on twitter put this great Zoom pic of them all working on the score, no idea where you’d get that from. The website just seems like daily black & white shots of working on the film day by day

Last edited by WorzelG; 10-21-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Check out Sipekne'katik First Nation Chief Mike Sack's ball cap:

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I went to a Grunge article entitled "The Real Reason NIN is Being Inducted into the Hall of Fame," and found this gem:

"Perhaps it's Trent Reznor's affinity for high concept work, such as recording in the house where the Tate murders occurred, or as he told Blabbermouth, the original but discarded idea behind the 2005 album White Teeth"

​Wave Goodbye, to yellow teeth...

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Check out Sipekne'katik First Nation Chief Mike Sack's ball cap
    I love that when Canadians knock off the NIN logo, they at least spend time getting the lettering right.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Check out Sipekne'katik First Nation Chief Mike Sack's ball cap:
    Ok, the suspense is killing me. What does it stand for?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok, the suspense is killing me. What does it stand for?
    Gotta say it out loud. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was this a secret popup show or something?
    Last edited by tap3worm; 10-22-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tap3worm View Post
    Was this a secret popup show or something?
    I'm 99,99% sure this is a version from Woodstock and therefore fake. Description says the video was auto-generated by Youtube via some algorhythm, not really uploaded by NIN.

A hint: whenever you see a description like Legendary FM Broadcasts/Transmissions, it's a dead giveaway of a bootleg of otherwise freely-available material. These things flooded the market in last few years.

NIN never played with Foos together, they did play once or twice as a double-headlining act in 2007, but the sets didn't overlap (like on the Bowie tour) and there weren't any guest appearances.
    The closest thing to a live collaboration was Dave playing drums for NIN at the Grammys.
    Last edited by fillow; 10-22-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    Gotta say it out loud. :-)
    Oh Jesus, I get it now! Ha! That's fucking dope.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Would You pay for a NIN's streaming concert?
    would you like one?

I would say yes but with some specifications
    It has to be something new, new songs, or never played before songs, new arregments, maybe a crazy setlist made by fans, something special.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AThousandDaysBefore View Post
    Would You pay for a NIN's streaming concert?
    Hmm. If it was a stream only without any option to download, no. I would steal that shit. However, I would totally drop currency on a concert download.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Kanye mentions the "Closer" video being among his favorites in the latest Joe Rogan Podcast @29:37-29:41 (the version with ads, if you're watching on youtube subtract 6.5 minutes).

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Kanye mentions the "Closer" video being among his favorites in the latest Joe Rogan Podcast
    Double yikes. Thanks for taking one for the team, @Jon .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm 99,99% sure this is a version from Woodstock and therefore fake. Description says the video was auto-generated by Youtube via some algorhythm, not really uploaded by NIN.

A hint: whenever you see a description like Legendary FM Broadcasts/Transmissions, it's a dead giveaway of a bootleg of otherwise freely-available material. These things flooded the market in last few years.

NIN never played with Foos together, they did play once or twice as a double-headlining act in 2007, but the sets didn't overlap (like on the Bowie tour) and there weren't any guest appearances.
    The closest thing to a live collaboration was Dave playing drums for NIN at the Grammys.
    Yeah I was just curious, I thought that maybe it being linked to the actual NiN channel meant the uploads would be legit. Unless that's just what the '.. - Topic' channels look like now regardless.

Edit: Yeah comparing it to the Woodstock version you can hear the very tail end of the shrieking guitar at the beginning.
    Last edited by tap3worm; 10-26-2020 at 03:07 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's apparently licensed to "Turnstile". Can just any fool download shit from torrents and profit off it? Seems so.

NIN and Foo Fightters - https://www.deezer.com/en/album/181241042

NIN and Pear Jam - https://www.deezer.com/en/album/180476002

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

wow the Life on Mars cover done for Watchmen with actual vocals would be a treat for this!
    Last edited by WorzelG; 10-27-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm intrigued, but I gotta admit, I only want to see Trent so I'm not sure if it's worth 20 bucks right now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can't see TR performing LOM? with vocals, tbh... But I can totally imagine yet another rework of I Can't Give... and some other songs of David's that TR hadn't perform yet. Like Always Crushing in the Same Car, a song Trent wish he'd write?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Somebody better reign Billy Corgan in before we get an 8 hour synth interpretation of Space Oddity

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Got my ticket

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Songs he could potentially play (and ones I'd like to see him play):
    • Life on Mars?
    • I Can't Give Everything Away (Farewell Mix)
    • I'm Afraid of Americans (v1)
    • The Heart's Filthy Lesson (Alt. Mix)
    • I'm Deranged
    • Subterraneans
    • Scary Monsters
    • Hallo Spaceboy

Maybe he could play these, stating how Bowie inspired them:
    • A Warm Place
    • This Isn't the Place
    • God Break Down the Door
    • Over and Out

And since Mike Garson is the one putting it on, maybe tracks he's played on:
    • Just Like You Imagined
    • The Way Out is Through
    • Ripe (With Decay)
    • Just Like You
    • Trust in the Law
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 10-27-2020 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added songs that Mike Garson played on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    William Patrick Corgan AND Trent Reznor!

YES!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I had the awesome opportunity to see Trent do a cover (not Bowie, but Bowie-related) in a virtual performance during the early months of lockdown. Not only was it awesome, it showed how good a virtual concert can be. Very excited for this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I had the awesome opportunity to see Trent do a cover (not Bowie, but Bowie-related) in a virtual performance during the early months of lockdown. Not only was it awesome, it showed how good a virtual concert can be. Very excited for this.
    i'm sorry, what? care to share???

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm sorry, what? care to share???
    Can't really because it crosses the line of getting into T's personal life. Garson was on the track, too, though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music...rview/12797994

Many artists speak fondly of revelry and revelations that come with a trip to our continent, and John Frusciante is one of them.
    "I remember when we toured with Nine Inch Nails at the Big Day Out," the Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist tells Double J's Tim Shiel about his band's 2000 headline set at the revered festival.
    "I got to meet [NIN touring members] Danny Lohner and Charlie Clouser, who both wound up being friends and also helped me get started developing as an electronic musician.
    "I think Danny Lohner was the first person to explain to me how you would have a drum machine playing a synthesizer, and Charlie Clouser taught me how to use a modular synthesizer.
    "That was nice, being on tour with them. I was a big fan of them at the time and it was cool to be able to talk to people who knew what they were talking about."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Brian Redban wore a shirt on JRE the other day that i haven't seen before.