Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Broken Movie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Broken Movie

Hello all, I am new here... I have been a NIN fan since ‘89. About 20 -25 years ago I acquired a Broken VHS tape. Now, it’s been nearly as long since I have actually watched the video, but there is one thing I rememberer about the end of it. There is some kind of KISS footage with Paul Stanley... I remember reading that some of the original copies that Trent gave out to his close friends, or whatever contained some various stuff on it. This is something that I have speculated over the years, that I might have a 2nd or possibly 3rd gen copy of an original. Anyone have any ideas on this??? Thanks for your help!!!

Matt

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelberth75 View Post
    Hello all, I am new here... I have been a NIN fan since ‘89. About 20 -25 years ago I acquired a Broken VHS tape. Now, it’s been nearly as long since I have actually watched the video, but there is one thing I rememberer about the end of it. There is some kind of KISS footage with Paul Stanley... I remember reading that some of the original copies that Trent gave out to his close friends, or whatever contained some various stuff on it. This is something that I have speculated over the years, that I might have a 2nd or possibly 3rd gen copy of an original. Anyone have any ideas on this??? Thanks for your help!!!

Matt
    Hi! Do you have anything that can play the tape back so you can see what else may be on it? Is there writing on the case, or anything else about the tape that would indicate its provenance?

Apparently, according to Reznor, some '1st gen' copies contain water-marks, of sorts, in the form of strategic moments being 'dropped out' as they were dubbing them, so that the eventual leaker could be traced (the legend has it that Gilby Clarke Gibby Haynes's copy is the one that eventually circulated among fans and sold on bootlegger's copies).
    Last edited by botley; 08-21-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have boxed away in my archives... lol!!! The packaging is a hard plastic VHS case with a tape that has no stickers or labels on it.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    the legend has it that Gilby Clarke's copy is the one that eventually circulated among fans and sold on bootlegger's copies
    Isn't Trent on record saying that the copy that was leaked was given to Gibby from Butthole Surfers?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwinterskies View Post
    Isn't Trent on record saying that the copy that was leaked was given to Gibby from Butthole Surfers?
    Whoops, I misread a poorly shrunken GIF capture of the response on nin.com, you're probably right. Edited above to correct!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Isn't the Occam's Razor answer that someone used a previously used video tape and recorded the Broken movie on it, and so when Broken ends, OP sees the rest of the original content at the end of the tape?