Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Peaky Blinders

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Peaky Blinders

From BBC and Netflix. Season 3 just premiered streaming on Netflix. A rough and tumble post-WWI gang in Birmingham starring the sexy and brooding Cillian Murphy. Sam Neil and Tom Hardy both add another layer of starpower to what is a very capable cast that sells the period and the drama perfectly. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Red Right Hand serves as a theme that sets the tone and aesthetic perfectly while the rest of the score feels very Cave/Warren Ellis-inspired. Rooms full of smoke and throats full of whiskey, it's a great time with a strong and unique atmosphere and is currently renewed through to a fifth season.

A few people in the Netflix thread wondered why there wasn't one for it and I did, too, so here we go.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I told myself I was going to hold off watching the last episode of season 3 for a few days. I didn't. I can't decide if it was a brilliant ending or not.

Music - a +
    Costuming - a +

Story- I need to watch it again. I got seriously confused for a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I was always curious about this show, seen it in passing a few times. I definitely want to check it out, looks like something I'd watch for sure!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Haven't watched the third season yet but i really liked the 1st two. Perhaps thats what ill spend my day doing as it's to wet outside for any real productivity.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    show's great, but man is it stylized. Everything looks gorgeous, but the show isn't remotely realistic. Be warned in advance.

Does season 3 keep up with the use of modern music? Love that so far.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    They do definitely keep up the use of modern music.

Season 3 was fucking phenomenal. That finale, goddamn.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tommy's a real piece of shit eh? Obviously he's got more up his sleeve though. Woah.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Second episode of Season Four has just finished half an hour ago on BBC2 here in the UK. These first two episodes have been the most tense shit I’ve ever seen, and more ruthless than any episode of Game Of Thrones or anything like that.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Watched all three seasons recently and couldn't shake the feeling that underneath all that slow-motion badassery that's set to contemporaty rock music the show is actually kind of empty...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Spoiler: I've been waiting for John's death since the beginning of the series. Totally didn't want it to happen but knew it would come eventually. I think the setup could have been better, though.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Watched all three seasons recently and couldn't shake the feeling that underneath all that slow-motion badassery that's set to contemporaty rock music the show is actually kind of empty...
    There's some truth to that. Not completely empty, but I get what you're saying. I still like the show, and am glad they keep it to very short seasons, prolly b/c of the reason you stated.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Would love to know what anyone who saw the whole of this season though of it.

I loved every minute of this one, however I really didn't enjoy the finale as much as any of the other episodes.

They set up so much shit to be resolved in the final hour of the series, and I don't think it was the best it could have been.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Would love to know what anyone who saw the whole of this season though of it.

I loved every minute of this one, however I really didn't enjoy the finale as much as any of the other episodes.

They set up so much shit to be resolved in the final hour of the series, and I don't think it was the best it could have been.
    I’ll agree with you on the latter half of the episode. The first half was golden for me though. I was on the edge of my seat.

Spoiler: They totally fooled me with Arthur’s “death.” Did not see that one coming at all. I immediately started applauding when he came back and shit Luca in the head, and then later declared “Don’t fuck with the Peaky Blinders.”

It looks like they’ve set up Finn to have a much more prominent role which I’m very interested to see.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Oh, and that first meeting between Aberama Gold and Alfie Solomons was golden, so to speak.

Tom Hardy has seriously nailed this role. It’s a shame he’s never gotten a single nomination for it.

Spoiler: You’d have to say it was pretty much “three strikes, you’re out” for Alfie. Since he was introduced in Season 3, whole he appeared a good ally at times, he showed he would never hesitate to stab you in the back to further his own cause. Season 3, he made a deal with Sabini behind Tommy’s back to go to war against the Blinders, no one of consequence really harmed. Last season, he fed information to the Odd Fellows for money which eventually led to Tommy’s son being kidnapped for leverage. This time he made a deal that would have killed the entire family. As much as you love this character, he deserved what he got in the end.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    Spoiler: I've been waiting for John's death since the beginning of the series. Totally didn't want it to happen but knew it would come eventually. I think the setup could have been better, though.
    Spoiler: It really sucks with this current age of leaks because I had heard rumblings for a while that a Shelby was going to die. I actually thought it would be Arthur. Seemed to me like ever since Season 1 where he tried to kill himself, he’s been on a real slippery slope. Abusing drugs, losing control of his anger, then finding faith and seemingly becoming very weak and vulnerable. Surprised it was the first episode that John died. Sucks we had to lose him.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Worst.Season.Finale.EVER.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    Spoiler: Worst.Season.Finale.EVER.
    Definitely not. Considering the history of television, I can promise you this does not come any close to that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Season 5 just hit over here in the UK. Both the first two episodes went out over the weekend and it's been dark as fuck - really no let up. I'm very excited for the next few episodes.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thoroughly enjoyed season 5.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Incredible season finale to season 5. Really can't wait where they are going now! Two seasons left I've heard...

I rarely watch Netflix or shows in general, but this was recommended to me a few years ago as a big fan of Boardwalk Empire. Similar tone, yet totally different. Really enyoing this show apart from the usual gripes (certain characters, sub-plots, etc.) you have with shows.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Just pre-ordered the soundtrack album on vinyl as an Xmas present for my partner (she's obsessed with this show!).

Here's the Amazon.ca link (currently a very reasonable $31 Canadian for three discs).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Does anyone of you know if Anna Calvi's recordings for the last season are out there?

I think her soundtrack made that season even more enjoyable for me as it captured the essence of the overall soundtrack for this series, but wasn't as on the nose as e.g. blasting another PJ Harvey song over a slo-mo-scene. Don't get me wrong, I love those moments, but having original music makes this show way more special to me.