Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Not nice.

Btw, people, what is "cancelled"?
    https://www.theodysseyonline.com/canceled

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Not nice.
    Really? Jeez I didn’t want to tell the ENTIRE story here due to drift and size but it was 30 years ago, I had 50 DUIs, did 20 years in prison, I killed a prison guard, got out early for good behavior, became an ordained minister, my life has changed, and I waited several hours that night to drive to the hospital because you can’t call 911 for a burn. Now when I get heroin burns I just Uber to the hospital.

“Cancelled” came from Black Twitter.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    way more big than little...

someone i've known online for nearly a decade (never been super close but have always admired her & her art, and drawn inspiration from her) put up a gofundme today to try to help cover expenses incurred from a rape & subsequent abortion that happened as the result of a date she went on while trying to recover from a failed relationship in which her partner had deceived her and left her in debt.

i donated what little i could at the moment and she already reached out to thank me, but i just keep crying. no one should have to go through something like that. the continued prevelance of sexual assault in our world is abhorrent. i wish there was a way to drill it into the heads of people that you don't just get to take what you want from someone, especially in a sexual context. recovering from sexual assault is sometimes a life-long struggle; and while i'm still dealing with aspects of it 17 years later, i can't even imagine how much worse it would be to have gotten pregnant as a result.

if you feel inclined to donate

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

someone i've known online for nearly a decade (never been super close but have always admired her & her art, and drawn inspiration from her) put up a gofundme today to try to help cover expenses incurred from a rape & subsequent abortion that happened as the result of a date she went on while trying to recover from a failed relationship in which her partner had deceived her and left her in debt.

i donated what little i could at the moment and she already reached out to thank me, but i just keep crying. no one should have to go through something like that. the continued prevelance of sexual assault in our world is abhorrent. i wish there was a way to drill it into the heads of people that you don't just get to take what you want from someone, especially in a sexual context. recovering from sexual assault is sometimes a life-long struggle; and while i'm still dealing with aspects of it 17 years later, i can't even imagine how much worse it would be to have gotten pregnant as a result.

Omg her video made me cry God bless her and give her strength, I’m donating.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

I couldn't NOT donate, nobody deserves to go through that!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    cross-posted from the heavy music thread

saw Thou on friday night. opening acts were a collaboration between Matchess (who i played a show with a few years back and is amazing) & Talsounds, which was fantastic, and Emma Ruth Rundle who played solo with her electric guitar.

Thou started their set with quieter stuff from Inconsolable and ramped up the volume and intensity as their set went on, which was fantastic. i almost cried while they played because it was so emotionally cathartic.

on the negative side, during the first set break, two dudes who turned out to be proud boys started fucking with me & my friend Alex. they started out just seeming drunk and antagonistic, like they were trying to get a rise out of us. arguing about white people "not being that bad" and "we wanna go talk to that cute-ass girl but she'll think we're predators; we're not predators!" they also asked what we thought of some guy whose name i didn't recognize, and if we thought he was a hero or a villain, "you know, the incel king who shot all those women and then killed himself."

at one point, one of them stopped mid-sentence and asked "wait...are you two gay together?" to which we replied, in unison, with zero hesitation "yes." so then he goes "ok...ok...there's nothing wrong with that. i'm not gonna...just don't turn your back on your race." at that point, Alex kinda lost it and started being combative right back, and eventually got them to leave us alone. my heart was beating so god damn fast and hard, and i felt like i was gonna throw up. i'm so glad that Alex was there with me and is pretty good and handling situations like that, because i'm terrified of what would have happened if i was alone.

but also, like...what fucking show did they think they were at? in total, 6 women played and 5 men, and Thou has pretty far-left politics. why would two sexist white supremacists show up?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Gotta go have an emergency dentist app as my back tooth just started causing me so much pain i can't even swallow!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    but also, like...what fucking show did they think they were at? in total, 6 women played and 5 men, and Thou has pretty far-left politics. why would two sexist white supremacists show up?
    My husband G and I were at the Cure show at the UIC Pavilion in June of 2016.

G (a Cure fan since '79-80 and has seen them many many times since 1984) went to the men's room and came out, sat down next to me, seemed kind of disturbed, shaking his head.

I asked him what was wrong.

He said a guy was in the men's room wearing a skirt. And then when that guy in the skirt left, a few guys started LOUDLY poking fun at the guy in the skirt.

Now, considering the Cure's background of having pretty well-rounded non-conformist fans, and considering that MEMBERS OF THE CURE HAVE WORN SKIRTS ON STAGE, poking fun at a guy wearing a skirt at a Cure concert made ZERO sense.

But, we realized - even by the reactions of the crowd to gay couples around us - that the 1980s Cure crowd is nothing like the 2016 Cure crowd.

These crowds now are filled with aggro tourists.

We were at the Nine Inch Nails "Spiral Member Only" Key Club show in March of 2006. We were in the back by the bar, and two big dudes were standing next to us, going over their "plan."

Paraphrasing: "Okay, so, when Nails hits the stage, we're gonna go up there, and we're gonna start fucking people up!"

And that's pretty much what they did.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    My husband G and I were at the Cure show at the UIC Pavilion in June of 2016.

G (a Cure fan since '79-80 and has seen them many many times since 1984) went to the men's room and came out, sat down next to me, seemed kind of disturbed, shaking his head.

I asked him what was wrong.

He said a guy was in the men's room wearing a skirt. And then when that guy in the skirt left, a few guys started LOUDLY poking fun at the guy in the skirt.

Now, considering the Cure's background of having pretty well-rounded non-conformist fans, and considering that MEMBERS OF THE CURE HAVE WORN SKIRTS ON STAGE, poking fun at a guy wearing a skirt at a Cure concert made ZERO sense.

But, we realized - even by the reactions of the crowd to gay couples around us - that the 1980s Cure crowd is nothing like the 2016 Cure crowd.

These crowds now are filled with aggro tourists.

We were at the Nine Inch Nails "Spiral Member Only" Key Club show in March of 2006. We were in the back by the bar, and two big dudes were standing next to us, going over their "plan."

Paraphrasing: "Okay, so, when Nails hits the stage, we're gonna go up there, and we're gonna start fucking people up!"

And that's pretty much what they did.
    i will never​ understand the desire to cause other people pain or discomfort. it just doesn't compute to me.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    seriously considering contacting my lawyer to deal with some guy on social media who publicly said he was "going to fuck [my] wife."

This is the tip of the iceberg. He's been private messaging her with comments about how she should be into him instead of me, and it gets weirder from there. He's repeatedly assured her he's going to fuck her, with her responding with "FUCK OFF! LEAVE ME ALONE!'

Part of me is like "fuck it he'll just go away," and another part of me is fucking livid and pissed. He even gleefully sent me a message saying "I just called your wife a cunt and you can't do anything about it."
    I can afford a lawyer, can you?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    @Jinsai Ew! Do you know this guy personally? Does he live near you? Then I would call the cops and place a harassment claim or something.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Personally i'd report him to the cops regardless, that's fucked up and absolutely NOT OK.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    @Jinsai Ew! Do you know this guy personally? Does he live near you? Then I would call the cops and place a harassment claim or something.
    No, and this is part of the problem with commenting or interacting with public forum posts on Facebook if your profile details aren't completely locked down. I think it disturbed her a lot more than it did me... and at first I thought the opposite was the case. She seemed at first to be like "what a fucking creep!" and unbothered... really, only later did I notice how shaken up she was getting. She's not really interacted much with internet trolls, and so when this guy suddenly was messaging her about his dick etc she freaked out and got REALLY pissed. She still is... but at this point, now that I've captured everything, I'll just report it all and turn in the really disturbing shit to the authorities and join her in blocking the guy.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-08-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah, that kind of shit is unaccaptable. You and I don't often get along, but harassment of anybody (especially to that degree) seriously pisses me off. Good to hear you took screencaps and are reporting it. Too many people don't even do that and just shrug it off as "oh well, it's the internet, what're ya gonna do?"

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I'm honestly not sure where to put this, but I have to share it somewhere, and given the topic, this thread wins the prize.

I've got a Nest camera outside because I live on a busy city street. It's been very helpful in a lot of ways. The other day, the timeline showed someone hanging out in front of the house around 11pm and I scrubbed to it to see the following:

A man and a woman in their 20s with a toddler walk into frame, the couple yelling at each other. Not angrily, this is just how they talk.
    The man walks over to the front of my building, directly in front of the camera, oblivious, and starts pissing on my door. His son is watching, and his adult companion is yelling "COME ON". He looks up directly into the camera, and starts walking into his own stream of piss towards a little plot of grass that's not, you know, directly in front of the camera.

As soon as he's done, like, immediately, he turns around, whips out his camera and his girlfriend starts posing. The kid walks from behind him, over the stream of piss that's emptied into the street, and tries to get in the picture, but the woman yells at him.

The man yells something about how he's a man he can do what he wants (in relation to pissing), in response to a question no one asked. He then takes a dick pic with the same camera.

She yells to their friends coming up the street that he just pissed all over the sidewalk.

Friends, it's so trashy I'm embarrassed to share that anywhere else on the internet but here at home, my ETS.

It rained about 15 minutes later, thank baby jesus.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    His social media must be poppin'.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'm honestly not sure where to put this, but I have to share it somewhere, and given the topic, this thread wins the prize.

I've got a Nest camera outside because I live on a busy city street. It's been very helpful in a lot of ways. The other day, the timeline showed someone hanging out in front of the house around 11pm and I scrubbed to it to see the following:

A man and a woman in their 20s with a toddler walk into frame, the couple yelling at each other. Not angrily, this is just how they talk.
    The man walks over to the front of my building, directly in front of the camera, oblivious, and starts pissing on my door. His son is watching, and his adult companion is yelling "COME ON". He looks up directly into the camera, and starts walking into his own stream of piss towards a little plot of grass that's not, you know, directly in front of the camera.

As soon as he's done, like, immediately, he turns around, whips out his camera and his girlfriend starts posing. The kid walks from behind him, over the stream of piss that's emptied into the street, and tries to get in the picture, but the woman yells at him.

The man yells something about how he's a man he can do what he wants (in relation to pissing), in response to a question no one asked. He then takes a dick pic with the same camera.

She yells to their friends coming up the street that he just pissed all over the sidewalk.

Friends, it's so trashy I'm embarrassed to share that anywhere else on the internet but here at home, my ETS.

...well...i have no words!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Dude, I can empathize with this. Teenage kids walk through the neighborhood and piss just about wherever they feel like it, and a few years back, a van stopped in the road, and a woman climbed out to shit in the street. Passengers in the van and all.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Oh we had something like that. Years back (when Kings Cross had a big prostitution thing...about 8 years ago) on the way to work (about 8am) one of the engineers here saw a lady of the night shitting in the middle of the street...a main road, with busy traffic and all, and she offered her "services" to him as she did it. I think that scared him for life lol
    Last edited by Haysey_Draws; 04-10-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Edited due to my APPALLING spelling

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I feel worst for the poor kid being dragged around to watch his dad drunkenly piss on people's doorsteps... I can only imagine

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post

Aw piss, I just spent two days in Philly. Totally forgot you live there.

Anyway, did you send this to CPS or anything? Seems like pretty unfit parents if they're drunk to the point of pissing on houses and walking their toddler around in the middle of the night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cockroaches in my apartment. I need nuclear bombing I guess

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    If only people were as sad or pissed about the decay and destruction of local historical buildings and architectural heritage as they are about Notre Dame...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Or - to crib a post from twitter - the drinking water in Flint, or several other places where humanity is failing itself.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Or - to crib a post from twitter - the drinking water in Flint, or several other places where humanity is failing itself.
    People and charities and private companies haven’t forgotten about or given up on Flint. The problem is that the Federal and State governments have done NOTHING to FIX the problem that THEY created, and donations isn’t making them fix it. People in Flint STILL can’t take a fucking shower, and millions in donations is going toward BOTTLED drinking water because the state of Michigan stopped providing that last year.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-en...ds-not-so-much

So caring about 800 years of history isn’t mutually exclusive from caring about a bunch of ASSHOLES in government who let people die and blamed others; in Flint or Puerto Rico or Yemen. We can do all of it at the same time.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-22-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Been living on $400 a month after the bills I have to pay since December. Should get better soon but fuck I need to get out of this vacuum of town and do something before I flip shits. I should have moved out here in December. Missing all the cool shows.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well Bollocks!

I just spent most of my weekend (and savings) re-doing my place to make more room for my self and displays only for my bloody phone to go "LOL THIS WOULD BE A GREAT TIME FOR ME TO DIE LOLOLOLOL" so now i have no phone AT ALL. It's just a paperweight now, so i've had to spent money i don't have on a cheap phone which does get here til Friday.

...still, means i can miss all the Edngame spoilers...wait MY TICKET WAS ON MY PHONE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I can understand that it's difficult leaving a child alone with a babysitter for a time, but if you bring YOUR SCREAMING SHITHEAD TODDLER TO THE CIMENA I WILL FUCKING EAT IT AND SPIT IT'S TEETH OUT IN YOUR FACE.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Anti-vaxxers trying for another round of fame with a movie... (and Goop-happy Gwyneth can fuck right off too).