Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: March the 8th

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

March the 8th

Currently, in Australia and Japan and other Indo-Pacific countries.

So that means..

Happy 25th Birthday, TDS!!!

A quarter century of the greatest record ever made..

25 years of nihilism, anarchy, self-deprecation and sadomasochism being acceptable in popular music..

300 months of fucking you like an animal..

1,303.57 weeks of telling the religious that their god is dead, and no one cares..

9,125 days of hurting yourself, to see if you still feel..

219,000 hours of the deepest shades of mushroom blue..

13,140,000 minutes of knowing the depths I reach are limitless..

788,400,000 seconds of the best thing about life, is knowing you put it together..

Happy birthday, beautiful.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Still can't believe it's that old already. It seems like 5 years ago the 10-year anniversary edition was coming out. I can vividly remember sneaking into my parents' closet and secretly opening that particular Christmas present early so I could listen to it back in December of 1997. I only wish I had gotten into NIN earlier so that I could have experienced the album when it was fresh to the whole world and also wish I could have witnessed the raw chaos that was the Self Destruct tour.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Twenty...twenty five YEARS? Oh, dear god.
    Nice post btw , @Prettybrokenspiral

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Man, time has gone by so fast. My first memories of TDS were seeing March of the Pigs video on MTV. Then later seeing Closer and trying to figure all of this out. It took me a while. I'm not going to lie. I bought the album for my brother and I wasn't sure what to make of it at first. I was simultaneously attracted and repulsed. Closer sounded like some kind of crazy disco song to me, but much darker and weirder. March of the Pigs video seemed so unhinged at the time. Like I had never seen someone perform like that who seemed to constantly be careening out of control. It felt so raw and unpolished and vulnerable.

Eventually, after probably about six months, i just plunged headfirst into it all. Eventually found Broken and Pretty Hate Machine, and the rest was history. The Downward Spiral was the perfect album for that time in my life, and for our generation at that time. Parts of Pretty Hate Machine feel kind of dated to me know, Broken has lost some of its relevance to me in the passing years, but The Downward Spiral just feels like a nearly flawless work of art to me.

Having said all of that, 2019 me connects more with 2019 Nine Inch Nails. I find myself feeling more relevance in Add Violence in some ways that The Downward Spiral, and I would argue that The Trilogy is just as brilliant, deep, and full of emotional impact. What I love is that I have grown and changed, so too has Trent Reznor and his music, which isn't always the case with other musicians from that era.

Much respect for TDS though. Not every album defies genre, and still manages to feel so fresh and unique 25 years later. For those of us who were teens at the time, I feel kind of lucky to have been there. I'm not sure kids today get that same experience with an earth-shattering album like this was.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I didn't get into the album when it came out because I was one year old... But after I discovered NIN and got into them around when Year Zero came out (eighth grade for me), I delved further down the spiral (pun fully intended) into their discography. This record was a challenge for me to get into. I didn't really get it until my sophomore year of High School. I fell in love with Mr. Self Destruct and Ruiner. Saw them for the first time at the NINJA tour in Austin, and the show was very TDS heavy (MSD, Heresy, The Becoming, I Do Not Want This, MOTP, Piggy (NCSMN), Dead Souls.) It made me appreciate it a lot more. I love the record so much, even though it's not one of my personal favorites by Trent and co. Definitely will be jamming this all day though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Age is irrelevant. It's an eternal classic and rises above all the angst it represents as a pure artistic statement. I'll love it forever.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    It’s still my favorite album of all time. Happy 25th, TDS.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    best thing about life, is knowing you put it together..
    Not true.

Happy birthday, beautiful.
    True.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    My TDS story...

I'm 16 and I'm a geek. Like, going to two BBS meetups a week and seeing about half the same people at each kinda geek.

It's the Boston Pizza on Macleod and near Heritage (Calgary). It was Pasta Tuesday (baked tortellini alfredo).

I walk in a bit early and a friend of mine who was in a grade ahead of me, she waves me over and tells me I have to listen to this. So I do and I'm pretty sure it was on Ruiner. Anyway, I was hooked. It just sounded so interesting to my ears.

Maybe it was the following Friday I picked up my own copy and then started my quest to pick up as much as I could (a quest that hasn't really ended and just recently morphed into just having what I consider the best versions of releases). This was not easy where I was, especially then.

Before then I had been listening to Moxy Früvous and Barenaked Ladies and The KLF. So... there's that.

I wouldn't be able to see them live until 2006.

It's been a long trip and I've loved it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Lots of cool articles and interviews on https://www.revolvermag.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just came back from a night walk listening to the album. Still my favorite album of all time and somehow I enjoyed it even more than I can remember.
    Each song has so much going on, lyrically, sonically, thematically etc
    It's so overwhelming and epic and at the same time...personal.

My biggest takeaway from the album's meaning is don't kill yourself. Seriously. Things do get better, look at TR's life and how he felt about things on this album, if he can get overcome those feelings of hopelessness, isolation, loneliness, nihilism etc, you can get through whatever struggle you're facing.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Man, time has gone by so fast.
    Sure does... I had my playlist on random (as I always do when I am out and about) and a live song from the 2009 wave goodbye sets came on where Trent is talking to the crowd and he goes "Hard to believe I'd still be here 20 years later for you guys" and here I am thinking "fuck, is this recording ever dated or what... it's now 30 years of NIN"

Those 2009 shows still seem like they were yesterday... With all the anniversary's this year (PHM 30, TDS 25 and The Fragile 20) I'm surprised he never did SOME kind of 30th anniversary tour. I mean, it's still early in the year I guess. PHM dodesn't turn 30 until October, so still a chance for a 1 or 2 off random fall show in LA to pop up? Hopefully.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if this has been posted to the board already, but a quick look under NIN spotting possibly suggests no?
    But Rob Sheridan posted on twitter and shared a link of 30 mins of rare/never before seen bonus footage that he edited together for a closure DVD that never happened.

Maybe this was posted or reported on here somewhere before. *shrugs*

EDIT: It says it was posted to Vimeo 6 years ago, lol... So, I guess this is incredibly old news. But, enjoy it anyway haha.

EDIT2: update - after watching it all the way through... yeah, nothing new to see here. Move along folks. Keep scrolling.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-08-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    It says it was posted to Vimeo 6 years ago, lol... So, I guess this is incredibly old news. But, enjoy it anyway haha.
    This is actually the second part of the appendage feature from the Closure DVD download the band released in 2006, so it's actually very incredibly old news.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    This is actually the second part of the appendage feature from the Closure DVD download the band released in 2006, so it's actually very incredibly old news.
    Haha, yeah. I just finished watching though it. I remember seeing this a loooong time ago. Thought it was something new at first. My bad.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to the album on my drive to/from work yesterday. still so cohesive and compelling from its first moment to its last. i've still never heard another album like it, that is so sonically and emotionally dense without feeling claustrophobic. the becoming, i do not want this, and eraser will always be my faves.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Can't believe I didn't visit the forum when it happened. Oh well, happy anniversary!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I decided to give the record a spin yesterday just because why not. It's been the first time in a while I've listened to the album in order from beginning to end. I've been used to live NIN these days... and I was surprised with how weak it sounded. Don't get me wrong, it's a great record obviously, but the studio versions don't compare to the live ones at all. Live NIN is like a completely different sound. I think i've spoiled myself with too many live NIN shows because the sound is night and day. I now see why I am so addicted to seeing this band live. I thought I had issues, but in reality... the music just sounds better live for some reason. *shrugs* that was at least my perception after listening. The harder tracks like MSD and MOTP didn't quite seem to have the punch in the face from the studio versions after being used to the live one. And I kept wanting to yell out "Hey Mother-Fucking pig" during piggy, lol. That part gets me every time.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Reposting from my musings elsewhere about my favorite album ever and just how much it's meant to me over the years:

At an early age, I internalized an album about self-destruction and suicide as a means to alleviate suffering.

It was everything I needed to hear. Like countless other emotionally distraught teenagers - doubtless many of them of broken homes such as my own - I found refuge, solace and kinship in Trent Reznor's narrative of self-abuse, dehumanization, loss of faith, misogyny, substance dependence, and the possibility of taking one's own life to be free of it all. It was everything I wanted to do to myself, everything I wanted to do to others, everything I wanted to do to the world.

In my darkest moments, sometimes it still is.

As I've aged, I've questioned my relationship to it, as one does with all things that affect and change oneself as a person. I've felt a strange sense of shame and guilt - was I still attached to this record, this music, this artist due to immaturity? Self-pity? Narcissism? A stubborn refusal to grow up?

I came to the conclusion that wasn't the case. I've changed. I've grown, and I've been wise enough to learn to distance myself from it at times. To experience it on my own terms. At times, parts of it are like a mantra to me. At others, a warning, and yes, when I've needed it to be, a fantasy and - of course - an exit.

To this day it still reminds me I'm not alone. It taught me once that the worst of my urges and blackest of my feelings were not such an uncommon thing. And it's been a rock and an inspiration. It does, of course, end on a note of potential optimism. There's always another way.

I feel like I know every note, every mangled sound, every melody, inside and out and yet almost every time I listen to it I seem to find something new.

It's always been there for me, and I think it always will be. There aren't really words I feel are sufficient to describe my relationship with it. Of all the music that has given me strength and kept me sane over the years, nothing else comes close by comparison.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Well-said. I can relate.

Sometimes I wonder what my kids are going to think of me when they hear that album sitting on the shelf. But I think it’s just part of my journey.

I love Hesitation Marks all the more though because it kind of addresses this. How do we, can we move on? Yes and no, which you seem to come to the conclusion of too. It’s part of our story now, but doesn’t have to define our future.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I know I'm very late, but posting the music videos has been a bit of a tradition for me with NIN album anniversary threads on ETS. I suppose I'll do it while it's not only still 2019, but also before The Fragile's 20th anniversary.

As for the album itself, I still feel the same exact way as I did when I first heard it. The first few seconds of Mr Self Destruct really grabbed my attention and I just wanted to keep hearing more. I was so engrossed with the listening experience that I didn't want to skip any of the tracks. Even until now, I find myself not skipping around most of the album, kind of like how I already am with Broken and Pretty Hate Machine.

Mr Self Destruct and Reptile are also still among my most favorite songs aside from Closer. And the way Closer goes into Ruiner and then to The Becoming and I Do Not Want This was just awesome to me that even until now, I often just let Ruiner, The Becoming and I Do Not Want This play back to back without any skipping. And then how it winds down from Big Man With A Gun to A Warm Place being chill, to be gradually beefed up with Eraser just kept me on the edge of my seat upon my first listen, with The Downward Spiral and Hurt unwinding as "The Perfect Closure" after an extremely climactic Reptile being thoroughly satisfying complete with the panache and flair from Mr Self Destruct onward, just sealed it as one of my favorite albums of all time in between The Fragile and Pretty Hate Machine. I also love how well Closer is also just ideal for anybody that's already loved Pretty Hate Machine to start with.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I've been giving it a few 25th anniversary spins, and I gotta say: I don't think I can say it isn't the best NIN record anymore.
    I will always LOVE Broken, as it was what got me into this band. The Fragile is fucking amazing.

But, good GOD, TDS is utterly mind blowing, still. All of my favorite bands are insanely original: Tricky, Rasputina, Boards of Canada.
    And TDS is utterly fucking singular in that way. Also, because of this, it's timeless. I don't think it would sound dated, at all, were it released today.

Also, what @Shadaloo said a few posts back.

I can't write some eloquent thing about what the album means to me that's better than that. Good show, man.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There's always a moment, a some point, when I tell myself : "Alright let's listen to The Downward Spiral". Never a specific part, nor a single track, always in full.

And everytime it's incredible.

And each time it feels like being reborn, somewhat, momentarily. When I hear Hurt, I have this feeling of almost.. redemption ? A feeling of being complete and needing to push forward. It's really quite the fucking trip.

Even if i'm not in the right mood to listen to it fully, it's still awesome. But when it hits, it hits.