Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2810

Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I just want the Suns to lose, and would love to see Luka finally get a win in an elimination game... 0-2. Doesn't help that every home game has been a win for the home team lol.

Brunson is a must keep, but showing out in the Jazz series averaging over 26 points a game... There are ready a few teams lined up to offer him a lot of money. I would like for him to stay in Dallas though.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-13-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    62-27 mavs, early in the third.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

One of the rarest feats in baseball happened today. Only the sixth time this has happened since 1900.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ 0 hits and a win... WOW.

Just turned the Dallas/Phoenix game on... And the Suns have 47 points in the 4TH QUARTER. I'm so happy right now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Celtics finished off the Bucks today. Hopefully they can do the same to the Heat.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Still plenty of basketball left!

All Phoenix needs is a 43 and 0 run...

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Wow, I mean this is uncanny. And in a Game 7? I've never seen this in a Game 7 that I can remember.

And to think there were a couple folks in here insinuating I was a jinx. I think I'm a basketball prophet is what I think. lol

This big lead is good for my blood pressure I know that much. One of the most memorable series I've seen in a long time.

I've thought all year long that the Warriors were going to win it all this year. I still think that. And I like Klay a lot and the way he had to fight back from 2 devastating injuries. And them Celtics look like they're peaking at the right time of year. But all that said, it's GO MAVS! the rest of the way for me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    They did it. Can’t fucking believe it. Haven’t beaten the suns in like three years but pulled off this series. Dallas and Golden State will be a FUN series.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post

And to think there were a couple folks in here insinuating I was a jinx. I think I'm a basketball prophet is what I think. lol

Dude, it's just a thing.
    In the MLB, you NEVER mention the possibility of a no hitter when a pitcher has one going. It's general baseball etiquette.

In basketball, for a lot of us, it's, for instance, considered poor etiquette to discuss a player's shooting ability when he's at the free throw line.
    A lot of us don't wash our gear until the playoffs are over. (My mavs shirt and hat stink, currently.)
    Some of us MUST watch or DON'T watch big games.
    MOST OF ALL, @burnmotherfucker! , we never, EVER, EVER predict game/series outcomes or speak/write in an overly confident manner.

That's the sort of shit @chuckrh and I were talking about.

OF COURSE I expected DAL to win this game.
    And I knew we had a good chance of winning the series from the get go.

I just don't SAY it. I DO believe in jinxes, as does my wife.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Dude, it's just a thing.
    In the MLB, you NEVER mention the possibility of a no hitter when a pitcher has one going. It's general baseball etiquette.

In basketball, for a lot of us, it's, for instance, considered poor etiquette to discuss a player's shooting ability when he's at the free throw line.
    A lot of us don't wash our gear until the playoffs are over. (My mavs shirt and hat stink, currently.)
    Some of us MUST watch or DON'T watch big games.
    MOST OF ALL, @burnmotherfucker! , we never, EVER, EVER predict game/series outcomes or speak/write in an overly confident manner.

That's the sort of shit @chuckrh and I were talking about.

OF COURSE I expected DAL to win this game.
    And I knew we had a good chance of winning the series from the get go.

I just don't SAY it. I DO believe in jinxes, as does my wife.
    Oh ye of little faith!

It's no worries at all man, all in good fun. I've been watching/playing sports my whole life and I know all about jinxes. But the thing is, go back and read my post now and it was pretty spot on. In fact I basically summed up my thoughts on the series before games 4,5,6,7. So if I'm a jinx, I was a jinx for the Suns because the Mavs took 4 of 5 from them. I'd agree if it was during or before a game and you say who's winning. But I've never in my life heard of discussing the state of a series between games to be a jinx. Also, jinxes can feel real, but the athletes are the only people affecting the outcome. It's so much harder to watch your team play than to actually play because there's no affecting the outcome.

And the main point though, I never predicted any of the games or the series once I started rooting for the Mavs, I simply stated the ways I thought the outcomes of past games affected the games to come. Probably the most overly confident thing I said was that the Mavs were dangerous and it was fun being a fan now. But you know what, that would have still been true even if they'd have lost today. They just took the best regular season team to 7 and won and won as BIG as anyone ever has in a big game.

I promise to be careful in this thread for you though, I'll avoid absolute statements and such. After all you are the lifelong Mavs fan and I'm just a bandwagon rider. Enjoy this shit. Enjoy it no matter the outcome at this point, because these guys are gamers.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    SO.

What if we fuck around and go to the finals THIS year?
    @Self.Destructive.Pattern , as far as the Brunson issue, It'd be a pretty big shocker if he went to the Knicks, (with a Knicks deal.being the most prevalent rumor), or anywhere, really.

Dallas is reportedly confident that he'll sign a new Mavs contract. Cuban will likely pay whatever to keep him, and luxury taxes. Dallas ALSO will not help facilitate a sign-and-trade scenario, and the Knicks can't afford JB outright. It sounds like keeping JB is priority number one this summer.

And Brunson seems to really dig playing with this team, so yeah: I think he'll be around.

If he isn't, that will suck, as the chemistry is nice. But if you watch this team like we do, I mean, I hate to say it, but JB ain't basketball jesus. He's damn good, but he certainly isn't irreplaceable.

Edit: also, @burnmotherfucker! , post whatever you want man. Like you said, it's all in good fun.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-15-2022 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Iconic! I want this on my wall.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Iconic! I want this on my wall.

I want shots of Luka hugging Dirk.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    SO.

What if we fuck around and go to the finals THIS year?
    I'm curious how you see this Warriors series as a longtime fan. The Mavs are on their way but playing an all time great team is going to be a good test for their young players.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Calgary wins!

They’ll face Edmonton.

That Dallas goalie, though, holy crap good job.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Celtics finished off the Bucks today. Hopefully they can do the same to the Heat.
    I gotta go with Miami, not a Celtics fan & I like how the Heat play. In the west I'm good with either team going to the finals. Normally I'd be rooting for Golden State but because of the @elevenism factor I'll let the sports deities decide it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Turns out the Pirates winning with no hits wasn't the only rare feat that happened in baseball yesterday.

Players in MLB history who have hit 600 HR and pitched:
    1. Babe Ruth
    2. Albert Pujols

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    I'm curious how you see this Warriors series as a longtime fan. The Mavs are on their way but playing an all time great team is going to be a good test for their young players.
    Man, honestly, i have no idea what to think.

I will say this: i felt like we had the ability to win a series against any team in the NBA this year, if we just played our best...EXCEPT the Suns.

Yet we DID THAT. I still feel like i'm dreaming.

I don't see any reason we shouldn't be able to beat the GSW. We've got momentum and we're playing with confidence.

On the OTHER hand, i'll be honest: i go into EVERY series expecting the mavs to possibly fuck up SOMEHOW.

Like i've said before: we were the guys who blew a 2-0 finals lead for the third time in NBA history.
    The year after that, there was tremendous pressure to do better. We were the number one seed by FAR, iirc. Dirk was the MVP.
    ANNNNNNNND we lost to the number 8 seed in round 1.
    That was the first time that'd ever happened in the Western Conference in a 7 game series, and the first time it happened AT ALL in a full NBA season (knicks/heat 99 was cut short by a lockout).

I just take it game by game, series by series. I'm happy with every win and every series win.
    I've been a fan of this team since i was like 5 or 6 years old, and it's been a bumpy fucking ride.

We CAN do this. We absolutely can. That's what was so frustrating about some of those 2000s seasons, when we had Nash, Finley and Dirk, Van Exel, Jason Terry... We COULD have done it
    I will also say that i DAMN sure wasn't EXPECTING a trip to the finals this year. I was just hoping to get out of round one.

But, fuck. 4 more wins...
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-16-2022 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

I will say this: i felt like we had the ability to win a series against any team in the NBA this year, if we just played our best...EXCEPT the Suns.

I don't see any reason we shouldn't be able to beat the GSW. We've got momentum and we're playing with confidence.

On the OTHER hand, i'll be honest: i go into EVERY series expecting the mavs to possibly fuck up SOMEHOW.

Like i've said before: we were the guys who blew a 2-0 finals lead for the third time in NBA history.
    The year after that, there was tremendous pressure to do better. We were the number one seed by FAR, iirc. Dirk was the MVP.
    That was the first time that'd ever happened in the Western Conference in a 7 game series, and the first time it happened AT ALL in a full NBA season (knicks/heat 99 was cut short by a lockout).

I just take it game by game, series by series. I'm happy with every win and every series win.
    I've been a fan of this team since i was like 5 or 6 years old, and it's been a bumpy fucking ride.

We CAN do this. We absolutely can. That's what was so frustrating about some of those 2000s seasons, when we had Nash, Finley and Dirk, Van Exel, Jason Terry... We COULD have done it
    I will also say that i DAMN sure wasn't EXPECTING a trip to the finals this year. I was just hoping to get out of round one.

How about 8 more wins....

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    How about 8 more wins....
    that'd be fucking great. One thing at a time. That's how I take it, man.
    Even when we DID win the finals, I wasn't even WORRIED about the finals. All I cared about was that we swept LAL.
    @burnmotherfucker! I brought up the most egregious examples of DAL losing, but I was thinking: it isn't just that.

It's years and years of knowing we COULD be there, knowing we had the talent, but not making deep runs. You get used to it. It's years of losing to.Sacramento or Houston or San Antonio or the CLIPPERS ffs, and, you know, just dusting off my LAL hat.

And THIS season? Jesus, I'm 99% sure the MAVS would have been surprised if you'd told them they'd be in the conference finals. This is a first year coach with a bunch of new players. We were SERIOUSLY just planning on making sure we beat Utah.

If we DO win the finals, MAN. That's like, sports movie material.

Somebody said "We Believe" they other day. That's a reference to our championship year. It's all Mark Cuban would say in postseason interviews. "We Believe."

We CAN win the damn finals! We just have to keep this confidence up.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-18-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Man, I had completely forgotten about that Nash, Finley, Dirk, Exel, Terry team. I used to kill with those guys on whichever N64 game I had back then lol. I was always surprised Nash and Dirk never figured it out.

And while you mention it, is the time Dallas lost to the 8 seed when they lost to the old Warriors? Because I watched all that series live. I even used to have this one sequence that ended in a Baron Davis dunk recorded on a vhs tape. That 8 seed team was way better than an 8 seed. I used to use them in one of those Live Playstaion Games and I could beat all the best teams with them. I just realized this current series is the rematch.

The Suns were good all year, no doubt, but honestly I'll be much more surprised if these Mavs beat the Warriors. That team isn't as good as it used to be but they've won 3 chips and are able to put bad games out of their mind and just outshoot you the next game. They were down by 55 to the Grizzlies and just won the next game. Memphis didn't have Morant but they also didn't have him some of the season, and they went 20-4 without him in the lineup. So that team wasn't an easy out.

If the last series was Luka>Paul, Booker

then this series is Luka?Curry, Poole, Thompson

@burmotherfucker! I brought up the most egregious examples of DAL losing, but I was thinking: it isn't just that.

It's years and years of knowing we COULD be there, knowing we had the talent, but not making deep runs. You get used to it. It's years of losing to.Sacramento or Houston or San Antonio or the CLIPPERS ffs, and, you know, just dusting off my LAL hat.

And THIS season? Jesus, I'm 99% sure the MAVS would have been surprised if you'd told them they'd be in the conference finals. This is a first year coach with a bunch of new players. We were SERIOUSLY just planning on making sure we beat Utah.

If we DO win the finals, MAN. That's like, sports movie material.

Somebody said "We Believe" they other day. That's a reference to our championship year. It's all Mark Cuban would say in postseason interviews. "We Believe."

We CAN win the damn finals! We just have to keep this confidence up.
    How much of this year do you think has to do with J. Kidd?

And you just reminded me, people are comparing Luka's run so far to LeBron in 07. The question is are the Warriors going to be the 07 Spurs. They're both the older team going for their 4th Chip.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 05-16-2022 at 11:07 PM. Reason: stupidity

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! I think this year has a WHOLE hell of a lot to do with Jason Kidd.

Our single ring had a whole hell of a lot to do with Mr. Kidd, too. He's amazing on the court and as a coach. He's not necessarily an elite player statistically, but I personally think he just has a DEEP understanding of the game.
    As a coach, he's like a brilliant general.

And as far as Luka vs Paul/Booker/Crowder? I smell you, but that ISN'T what happened.

It was Luka/Brunson/Dinwiddie/Powell/Kleber/Bullock..hell, even Bobi (boban marjokavic; we call him Bobi in Texas) and that new Ntilikina kid went hard as fuck.

I think we can absolutely win this. We're definitely as good as these guys, imho.

And if we MUST make it all about Luka, well...he's better than Steph Curry.

That's not an opinion. I'm going off of statistical facts.

Edit: the only thing i'm afraid of is the pace of the game. Golden State plays fast. Luka CAN play fast, but he likes to take it slow.
    That's why I don't exactly see the James comparison.

Luka's pace is more like another James: James Harden.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-18-2022 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! I think this year has a WHOLE hell of a lot to do with Jason Kidd.

Our single ring had a whole hell of a lot to do with Mr. Kidd, too. He's amazing on the court and as a coach. He's not necessarily an elite player statistically, but I personally think he just has a DEEP understanding of the game.
    As a coach, he's like a brilliant general.

And as far as Luka vs Paul/Booker/Crowder? I smell you, but that ISN'T what happened.

It was Luka/Brunson/Dinwiddie/Powell/Kleber/Bullock..hell, even Bobi (boban marjokavic; we call him Bobi in Texas) and that new Ntilikina kid went hard as fuck.

I think we can absolutely win this. We're definitely as good as these guys, imho.

And if we MUST make it all about Luka, well...he's better than Steph Curry.

That's not an opinion. I'm going off of statistical facts.

Edit: the only thing i'm afraid of is the pace of the game. Golden State plays fast. Luka CAN play fast, but he likes to take it slow.
    That's why I don't exactly see the James comparison.

Luka's pace is more like another James: James Harden.
    Interesting...

I grew up watching J. Kidd and I've always considered him elite. Some of the best court vision I've ever seen. Fuck stats, the stat that matters most is winning. The eye test is real imo.

Also, I don't mean to make it all about Luka. The whole Mavs team showed up during the Suns series BUT they weren't showing up every single game. One game its Finney-Smith, then Brunson, etc. But a series, not a single game, goes as the stars go. GS has 3 guys that can get hot and drop 40 any given night. The Mavs have Luka, who else is getting 40? Brunson maybe as a long shot. The point is GS has more paths to victory when it comes to just getting hot from three.

The Mavs do like to play slow but usually when slow teams play fast teams it's the slow team that can control pace. Fast teams try and make you feel like you HAVE to play fast but when the Mavs get the ball, slow that shit down and limit possessions per game. I'm sure J. Kidd will be on top of that.

Also, I agree Luka is the best player left in these playoffs, right NOW. But Steph is all time great and if he can wake up from his slump then anything can happen. But, he's never been a good closer imo.

And maybe I'm wrong but, going back to the eye test, I've always seen LeBron as a slow player. A ball stopper. He is like a vortex when it comes to his team's momentum and everyone usually just stands around waiting for him to do something. In bad games Luka can do that, but when he's at his best is when he's moving the ball. They're going to have to move the ball, the Warriors certainly will. You can't beat them in 7 with iso's.

I do think Luka has much better footwork in the post than LBJ ever did. If I'm the Mavs, I screen with whoever Steph Curry is guarding and post him up as much as possible this series just like they did with Paul last series.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Flush it and move on to game 2.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Flush it and move on to game 2.
    Yeah this has been a weird playoffs.

Does Dallas get one next?

I'll say it again,: THESE MAVS CAN beat the warriors. They have the ability to do so.

We might and we might not. GSW are unreal when they're firing on all cylinders.

DAL is the surprise dark horse that didn't even PLAN for this shit.

We need to take game 2.

Edit: fuck Golden State, fuck California, fuck anyone named S. Curry who didn't play for Dallas, fuck Thompson if it ain't Hunter S., fuck Pool unless it's an Infinity Pool,.

And most of all, as my great grandmother used to say, "Fuck You, We're From Texas,"
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-18-2022 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Calgary vs. Edmonton is nutty.... 13:29 left in the period and the score is 7 - 6 for Calgary.

edit for final score... 9 - 7 for Calgary.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-18-2022 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I know there are some Mavs fans in here. Just want to say a couple of things. Luka is an amazing talent, Kidd has become a terrific coach compared to past stints. May the best team win, this is coming from a Warriors fan that lives in the Bay Area. 1 last thing.... We aren’t CP3 and the Suns, lol. We actually are champions. It’s a whole different thing. Let’s see how it plays out. On to game 2.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Calgary vs. Edmonton is nutty.... 13:29 left in the period and the score is 7 - 6 for Calgary.

edit for final score... 9 - 7 for Calgary.
    Battle of Alberta, is it? Aren't those both Alberta teams?.
    Damn, that sounds like a wild ass game.
    I'm looking for 15 min YouTube version.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burninglard View Post
    I know there are some Mavs fans in here. Just want to say a couple of things. Luka is an amazing talent, Kidd has become a terrific coach compared to past stints. May the best team win, this is coming from a Warriors fan that lives in the Bay Area. 1 last thing.... We aren’t CP3 and the Suns, lol. We actually are champions. It’s a whole different thing. Let’s see how it plays out. On to game 2.
    Sorry for double post, but, yeah.

Big ups Golden State. I'm always down for the west, and the Warriors have been my champions a few times.

It's not REALLY fuck GS at all.

I love the Warriors.

But don't get too comfortable: wasn't Dallas in third place for about a week?
    And what's the winning percentage, now? .64 vs .63?
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-19-2022 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Battle of Alberta, is it? Aren't those both Alberta teams?.
    Damn, that sounds like a wild ass game.
    I'm looking for 15 min YouTube version.
    Tis indeed... and they played 1980s high scoring playoff hockey tonight.
    Here's an 8min highlights version...