Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Is that a dual turntable?
    Sadly not - just a pretty simple Audio Technica ATLP120

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    If anyone's interested, I threw my THRICE - Alchemy Index vinyl box-set on eBay. Bid away! I really need the money this month!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281859997119...84.m1558.l2649
    i don't think i could ever let go of mine, i love it too much. but you should get a nice chunk of change for it. did you consider putting it on discogs? the median sale price on there is $409.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    nice cartridge, Im defnitly looking to get one myself or the Blue 2m
    go for the red, see if you like it, and if you want to upgrade eventually, you can just get the replacement Blue stylus because the main housing is the same.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    go for the red, see if you like it, and if you want to upgrade eventually, you can just get the replacement Blue stylus because the main housing is the same.
    This is a great idea in theory for most cartridges, but not for the Ortofon 2M series. The styluses for that series cost nearly as much as the whole cartridge themselves.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    i don't think i could ever let go of mine, i love it too much. but you should get a nice chunk of change for it. did you consider putting it on discogs? the median sale price on there is $409.
    Yeah it's such a great set. I neeeever listen to it though. I actually put this on eBay last week and ended up getting 225 for it, but then the asshole that won it was like "oh sorry I misread the description. I thought this has had the fixed Earth disc. Whoops. Well I'm not paying for it". Soooo now it's back out there. Hopefully I can get it high than 225 this time, even though it's currently sitting at only 52 which makes me nervous.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Yeah it's such a great set. I neeeever listen to it though. I actually put this on eBay last week and ended up getting 225 for it, but then the asshole that won it was like "oh sorry I misread the description. I thought this has had the fixed Earth disc. Whoops. Well I'm not paying for it". Soooo now it's back out there. Hopefully I can get it high than 225 this time, even though it's currently sitting at only 52 which makes me nervous.
    why didn't you get the replacement earth disc? (to be fair, the messed up one sounds REALLY bad, but that's still really shitty of the guy)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quick stop into a charity shop had some great finds today

Front Line Assembly ‎– Disorder
    Love/Hate ‎– Blackout In The Red Room
    Judas Priest ‎– Point Of Entry
    Cactus World News ‎– Years Later (12" w/lbl promo)
    Session And The Bear ‎– Keep It Simple (12" w/lbl)
    Timeblind ‎– Bloatware EP

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    why didn't you get the replacement earth disc? (to be fair, the messed up one sounds REALLY bad, but that's still really shitty of the guy)
    I didn't know they were sending out replacement discs for it until it was too late.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    FINALLY came in the mail: Atticus Ross - Love and Mercy

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    cross-posted in the little things that piss you off thread:

been trying to sell a record on discogs for a while, and someone finally bought it last week. she asked for a shipping quote, as she lives in mexico, and after a little digging online, it looked like it would be around $10. so i charged her $9 and we agreed if it was more than that, she'd pay it.

$19.45 to send a 2xLP to mexico? JEEEZ. i told her i'd split the difference since she only paid $20 for the actual record and i didn't want her to have to pay $20 for shipping, on top of it. i don't understand why it was so expensive. it's less money to ship to england!

not cross-posted:

arrived yesterday:

labradford - mi media naranja
    now i only need their self-titled album and i will own every labradford record!

also, all the records i ordered for my bandmates for x-mas came:
    qotsa - like clockwork. for my guitar player jon.
    mastodon - crack the skye (unfortunately the single LP version that has shortened versions of all the songs, but it's on baby blue). for my bassist dan.
    jimmy eat world - static prevails (lavender). for my guitar player mac.

i think they'll all be very happy!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    cross-posted in the little things that piss you off thread:

been trying to sell a record on discogs for a while, and someone finally bought it last week. she asked for a shipping quote, as she lives in mexico, and after a little digging online, it looked like it would be around $10. so i charged her $9 and we agreed if it was more than that, she'd pay it.

$19.45 to send a 2xLP to mexico? JEEEZ. i told her i'd split the difference since she only paid $20 for the actual record and i didn't want her to have to pay $20 for shipping, on top of it. i don't understand why it was so expensive. it's less money to ship to england!

not cross-posted:

arrived yesterday:

labradford - mi media naranja
    now i only need their self-titled album and i will own every labradford record!

also, all the records i ordered for my bandmates for x-mas came:
    qotsa - like clockwork. for my guitar player jon.
    mastodon - crack the skye (unfortunately the single LP version that has shortened versions of all the songs, but it's on baby blue). for my bassist dan.
    jimmy eat world - static prevails (lavender). for my guitar player mac.

i think they'll all be very happy!
    Can I be in your band?! I can't even get family to buy me records, let alone friends!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    Can I be in your band?! I can't even get family to buy me records, let alone friends!
    i've made a b-day/x-mas list every year since i was a kid (my birthday is january second) and for the last few years, it's been more and more vinyl and less and less of everything else. i think i literally put 20 records on it this year, and only like four other things. i never expect to get everything on my list, either, i'm not an asshole haha.

also, sure! you play keyboards? i think we could use a keyboard player. though the commute is gonna be hell!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    i've made a b-day/x-mas list every year since i was a kid (my birthday is january second) and for the last few years, it's been more and more vinyl and less and less of everything else. i think i literally put 20 records on it this year, and only like four other things. i never expect to get everything on my list, either, i'm not an asshole haha.

also, sure! you play keyboards? i think we could use a keyboard player. though the commute is gonna be hell!
    I play keyboards and have an extensive list of stuff I want.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Drums unfortunately. But yea... I do a Christmas list too but family and friends just don't seem interested in buying vinyl. I have no idea why and it's not really the sort of thing you can bring up... "why don't you buy me vinyl?"

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    mastodon - crack the skye (unfortunately the single LP version that has shortened versions of all the songs, but it's on baby blue)
    It's fucking SHOCKING how horribly that band treats their best record (or one of the top tier, at least). Getting the full, actual album on vinyl is an inordinately expensive goddamn nightmare that never stays in print that I've seen – and it's been so stupid that I immediately stopped caring about getting it anyway. How is Brann okay with such a personal meisterwerk getting destroyed to fit on one LP? The mind boggles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Supertramp - Breakfast In America (180g & signed by Roger Hodgson, purchased @ his show last night - 100 bones - Yikes!)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    It's fucking SHOCKING how horribly that band treats their best record (or one of the top tier, at least). Getting the full, actual album on vinyl is an inordinately expensive goddamn nightmare that never stays in print that I've seen – and it's been so stupid that I immediately stopped caring about getting it anyway. How is Brann okay with such a personal meisterwerk getting destroyed to fit on one LP? The mind boggles.
    i ended up paying $135 including shipping for the 2xLP 45rpm version, but it was so worth it, because it sounds amazing. i paid $50 for the version of the hunter that's the same (2xLP 45rpm), and i got the 2xLP 45rpm version of blood mountain for my birthday a couple years ago. the band really shines on vinyl and the 45rpm mastering makes a huge difference.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    Drums unfortunately. But yea... I do a Christmas list too but family and friends just don't seem interested in buying vinyl. I have no idea why and it's not really the sort of thing you can bring up... "why don't you buy me vinyl?"
    heh. i'm the drummer / producer in my band.

i think it's perfectly reasonable to bring up. if people know you're a collector and that's what you want, i think it's fine to say, "hey, if you'd like to get me a gift, a record is always the best bet!" but i'm also very un-shy about things like that.

trying so hard to not buy anything for myself right now in anticipation of the stuff i might be getting for the holidays and how much i've spent on gifts for other people.

oh, and the girl in mexico that bought that record sent me $7 to cover most of the rest of the shipping because she felt bad about me losing $5 on the deal. it's so great when people are nice!

edit: sorry for the double post.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe

I feel the shipping cost pain, but usually I'm on the other side of it (i.e., the one paying). Nothing is available from labels with distribution in Canada aside from Constellation (GSYBE), Arts and Crafts (TRST, Broken Social Scene) and Last Gang (DFA79, Purity Ring) records... and even those guys charge close to $10 for shipping inside the country. Anything from the States or overseas I am looking at $10-$30 CAD ($7-$23 USD) for shipping.

We have nothing like media mail, so I get a little irked every time I hear a US record collector complain about having to pay for shipping where they expect it to be under $5 or free. Only if us Canucks were so lucky!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    @eversonpoe

I feel the shipping cost pain, but usually I'm on the other side of it (i.e., the one paying). Nothing is available from labels with distribution in Canada aside from Constellation (GSYBE), Arts and Crafts (TRST, Broken Social Scene) and Last Gang (DFA79, Purity Ring) records... and even those guys charge close to $10 for shipping inside the country. Anything from the States or overseas I am looking at $10-$30 CAD ($7-$23 USD) for shipping.

We have nothing like media mail, so I get a little irked every time I hear a US record collector complain about having to pay for shipping where they expect it to be under $5 or free. Only if us Canucks were so lucky!
    oh, believe me, i agree. i think it's ridiculous that it's so hard to ship between the US and canada going either direction. i almost never order from canadian sellers on discogs because it costs so much for them to ship down here. geographical lines dictating shipping prices rather than distance is so dumb.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Recent arrivals:

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity [Relapse re-issue on orange/ black merge]
    The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine [Relapse re-issue green with rainbow splatter]
    The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works [Relapse re-issue on electric blue/hot pink merge]
    The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer [white vinyl]
    Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
    Alessandro Cortini - Forse 2 [second press on opaque blue vinyl]

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Just got Abyssal - Antikatastateis and the latest reissue of Takk... by Sigur Rós.

Here's the Abyssal record. One of the best stunners I've seen in a while.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    ^ beautiful!

weekend haul:

edit: fuck twitter.
    Last edited by jmtd; 11-30-2015 at 04:10 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Welp. I found The Fragile at Love Garden yesterday for $250.

So that's pretty much all I'm buying myself for Christmas this year. <3

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ^^Can't think of a better LFK representative to have picked that up :P

I just realized I hadn't posted in here in quite some time. My favorite finds of the last few months:

Bad Religion - No Control
    Big Black - Songs About Fucking
    Brand New - Deja Entendu
    David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
    Death Of Lovers - Buried Under A World Of Roses
    Ella Fitzgerald - Hard Day's Night/And The Angels Sing 7"
    Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
    Fucked Up - Year Of The Hare (White colored)
    Husker Du - Zen Arcade
    The Menzingers - Rented World
    Queen - Killer Queen 7"
    Pearl Jam - Given To Fly 7"
    Pete Townsend - Who Came First
    Title Fight - Shed
    The Who - Live At Leeds
    U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post
    Death Of Lovers - Buried Under A World Of Roses
    god i really hope these guys put out a full-length or at least another EP soon. some of the best music i've ever heard. one of my best friends gave it to me for x-mas last year and my wife and i put it on and just kept going "wow...this is SO GOOD."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    god i really hope these guys put out a full-length or at least another EP soon. some of the best music i've ever heard. one of my best friends gave it to me for x-mas last year and my wife and i put it on and just kept going "wow...this is SO GOOD."
    I truly hope so as well but it's hard to say with both Nothing and Whirr putting out new records soon.. not to mention the controversy surrounding Whirr lately. I love their music but its hard to support them in light of recent events. I did pick up their Distressor EP awhile back though

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Was it new? I paid $250 for a sealed copy
    I seem to recall lucking out and paying about £35-40 for mine about 6 years ago. Sooo lucky

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post
    I truly hope so as well but it's hard to say with both Nothing and Whirr putting out new records soon.. not to mention the controversy surrounding Whirr lately. I love their music but its hard to support them in light of recent events. I did pick up their Distressor EP awhile back though
    you know, i never try to let asshole musicians dissuade me from enjoying great music, but seriously, fuck those guys. distressor is the only interesting record anyway, recorded after they figured out what the heck they were doing and before half the band left.

Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I seem to recall lucking out and paying about £35-40 for mine about 6 years ago. Sooo lucky
    i'm forever thankful that my copy of the fragile survived the great record flood of 2005, as it was being borrowed by a friend. i picked it up for $20 or so at hot topic back in the day... i did pick up a copy for $100 a few years ago for a friend after he stupidly sold his copy (we both got ours the same day). he's the kind of guy who gets caught up in clutter clearing, and i think he got very little for selling his copy, too.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 12-01-2015 at 09:34 AM.