Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    And in today's 'old news to those in the know'...

The Level Five EP has a different version of Virtuous Circle in the Japanese edition than the regular DGM release.

Foiled again!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^^ Haha! I wonder if both versions will make the Heaven & Earth box set?

Wow, lots more touring to come in 2019... they are just unstoppable at this point. My running compilation of live 2018 tour downloads released from DGMLive — with cross-fades and other homebrew mastering tweaks, naturally — now fills three full audio CDs (and counting). Exceptional music, great performances, terrific for the fans to have so much of it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    In addition to burning the 'plain' DGMLive hot tickle downloads to disc (with custom mastering moves, natch), I also made my own homebrew version of "Neurotica 2018" with a little bit of Adrian Belew's vocals and guitar flown in from his Power Trio's Live Overseas recording. Fantasy 9-man lineup edition! Check it out!

Especially I like how this goes with his pre-recorded zoological "Manhattan" interjections
    inserted before Jakko takes verses one and two, then it switches back to Adrian for the "I have, no fin, no wing..." bridge and then back to the taped babble for the outro... not bad for two 'board bootlegs' sewn together!
    Last edited by botley; 12-01-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Belew is putting out a new album in March 2019, Pop-Sided. He's also going out with a new band, a quartet with a keyboardist/guitarist, performing a new range of material that he hasn't been able to with the trio. Sounds exciting.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to all of Meltdown over the course of the week (still need to watch the blu-ray) and it was fantastic. always interesting to hear so many slight variations (or sometimes big ones) in songs from different shows.

is that the only officially released recording that includes KC playing a Fripp solo song live? (breathless, which is awesome and totally sounds like it belongs in the LTIA family)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    King Crimson - Celebrating 50 years

In celebration of 50 years, King Crimson today announces:

50 Concerts for 2019:
    The current eight musician line-up will perform 50 concerts across three continents as part of their 2019 Celebration tour.

Dates already announced and on sale include a trio of concerts at London’s Royal Albert Hall, June 18, 19, 20 and New York’s Radio City Music Hall on September 21.

Physical music releases include:

February: King Crimson 1972 – 74 – the second boxed set of 6LPs from Larks’ Tongues in Aspic to the expanded USA in 200 gram vinyl.

May: Heaven and Earth: Multi-disc CD/ DVD-a/Blu-Ray set covering the period from the late 1990s – 2008 – completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums in 5.1 multi-channel audio.

Oct: Complete 1969 Recordings CD/DVD-a/Blu-Ray set – completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums on Blu-Ray.
    A vinyl set of 1969 recordings is also being planned

Other planned music releases include: 200 gram vinyl editions of Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, the 2CD 2019 King Crimson tour box – 6th in the series of releases issued to accompany each tour from 2014 onwards

50 Collectors’ Club Releases

2019 will see the release of CLUB48, CLUB49 and CLUB50 - the final three in the Collectors Club series, taking it 50 releases in the band’s 50th year. CLUB48 will be a recently discovered board recording of the concert in Newcastle on 8th December 1972 by the complete Larks Tongues in Aspic line-up before Jamie Muir left the band.

In The Court of the Crimson King Companion & Boxed Set

Oct: Released to coincide and celebrate the original release date of King Crimson's debut album on 12th October 1969:

Limited edition expanded boxed set of “In The Court of the King Crimson” including all the live recordings, the expanded multitrack 1969 recording sessions, as well as a new 5.1 remix of the album.DGM Companion Vol 1, edited by Robert Fripp & David Singleton – Vinyl sized coffee table book covering the history of “In The Court of Crimson King”, with complete timeline, extensive photos, recollections and essays.

June: Sid Smith's long out-of-print acclaimed biography, In the Court of King Crimson will be published in a revised, updated and expanded edition.

50 special Digital music releases, KC 50:

50 tracks, 1 per week featuring a new, rare or alternate take from across the KC catalogue and available via all major download and streaming services
    Each track will be accompanied by a special spoken word introduction by King Crimson manager/producer David Singleton.

Documentary:

Cosmic F*Kc: The King Crimson documentary, directed by Toby Amies, who has been given unique access to the current band as well as interviews with past members and archive footage. To be released in late 2019.
    An accompanying soundtrack will also be issued.

Limited edition Silk Screen prints of Barry Godber's famous “Screaming Face” cover from “In The Court of the Crimson King”

200 limited edition Silk Screen prints of the outer sleeve of In the Court of the Crimson King. 100 copies of the interior. Printed at actual size of the original art (46.5 inches x 27.5 inches including surround)
    All prints will be signed and numbered by Robert Fripp. Early purchasers will be given the option to buy matching numbered sets

Clothing:

12 special 50th anniversary T-shirts, complementing the artwork for the KC50 digital download serie
    s.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm in... for the documentary (and soundtrack, depending what's on it), Blu-ray box sets, biography, collector's club CDs, and hopefully a Toronto show as well! FRIPP ME UP WITH IT.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm in... for the documentary (and soundtrack, depending what's on it)
    Fripp posted the setlist they recorded for the documentary on Facebook. Enter if you dare.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Wow, I love the 'four singers' edit of "Cadence and Cascade" they just put up on streaming/download sites for the KC50 series.

Gordon Haskell: Cadence and Cascade
    Kept a man named Jade
    Cool in the shade
    While his audience played

Greg Lake: Purred, whispered "Spend us too
    We only serve for you"
    Sliding mystified
    On the wine of the tide

GH: Stared pale-eyed
    As his veil fell aside

Adrian Belew: Sad paper courtesan
    They found him just a man
    Caravan Hotel

Jakko Jakzsyk: Where the sequin spell fell
    Custom...

GL: Of the game
    GH: Cadence oiled in love
    AB: Licked his velvet gloved hand
    JJ: Cascade kissed his name

AB:Sad
    JJ: ...paper courtesan
    They found him just a man
    Cadence...
    GH: and Cascade
    GL: Cadence and Cascade
    Cool in the shade
    GH: Cadence...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    When did Belew record his part?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    When did Belew record his part?
    The introduction track gives all the info. Belew sang it for the Frame By Frame box in 1991.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    all these KC 50 tracks and their commentaries have been so great so far. i've never heard any of the projeKcts so i was particularly taken with space groove ii and i'm really looking forward to the heaven + earth box set that'll be coming out, as singleton mentioned that all of the projeKcts would be part of it! hopefully the actual heaven + earth album will be part of it, too, as i haven't heard that, either!

also, my wife, my dad, & i are all seeing them in chicago in september and i am SO EXCITED

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ughhhh how many times am i going to buy "in the court..."? hopefully they'll make the new mix available outside of the box set

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm guessing that'd be the plan. I'm definitely planning on springing for the box.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Burning Shed: $144.12 (box set) + $21.76 (shipping) + $33.18 (VAT) = $199.06

DGM Live: $190.00 (box set) + $28.50 (shipping) = $218.50

-----------

Also, details copypasta (bolding not mine; the formatting is wonky on BS and DGML):

-----------

Heaven & Earth
    is the seventh box set in a series which will, when complete, cover all periods of King Crimson activity from 1969 to the present era.

This 24 disc - 18 x CD, 4 x Blu-Ray and 2 x DVD-A -set represents the most comprehensive collection in the series to date and covers the period from December 1997 to August 2008.

Contents (Presented in a 12” box with booklet, memorabilia and new sleeve-notes by Sid Smith and David Singleton)

* 3CDs featuring The ReconstruKction Of Light (a re-imagining of The ConstruKction Of Light withall new drums by Pat Mastelotto and a new mix from Don Gunn), an extended/enhanced stereo mix of The Power to Believe and the (studio) Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With and Level 5 mini-albums.

* 4CDs featuring ProjeKcts 1 - 4 (new to CD) with 1 CD apiece allocated to each line-up.

* 11CDs featuring live recordings (several new to CD, with some material previously unreleased) from the 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2008 tours.

* 3 Blu-Ray audio discs:

Disc One contains the complete recordings of ProjeKcts 1, 3, 4 & 6 - every single concert plus additional material the ProjeKcts released, it features the complete albums: ProjeKct 1- Space Groove, The ProjeKcts - 4CD box, ProjeKct 1 - Jazz Café Suite, ProjeKct X - Heaven & Earth, BPM&M - ExtraKcts & ArtifaKcts and Rieflin/Fripp/Gunn - Repercussions of Angelic Behaviour

Disc Two contains the complete recordings of ProjeKct 2 (every single concert). More than 30 shows plus an album's worth of rehearsals.

Disc Three contains The ReconstruKction Of Light - the album in stereo and 5.1 mixes with the drums completely re-recorded by Pat Mastelotto - stereo mixes by Don Gunn, 5.1 mixes by David Singleton and the original album in hi-res stereo, The Power to Believe - expanded/enhanced 2019 master (2 tracks with additional elements plus 3 extra tracks assembled/mixed by David Singleton) and 5.1 surround mixes by David Singleton - all mixes executive produced by Robert Fripp - plus the Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With and Level 5 mini-albums, the 2000 show from London, the EleKtriK live album from 2003 and a video of a tour of the KC studio/live equipment setup from 2002.

* Blu-Ray video contains Europe 2000 - The Bootleg TV tour, which features around 10 hours of audio/video mostly never seen/heard since the concerts with versions of selected songs and improvs (usually two per night of each) from almost every show. Includes footage and music from 20 performances.

* 2 DVD-As (compatible with all dvd players) feature The ReconstruKction of Light (new stereo/5.1/original stereo mixes plus ProjeKct X - Heaven & Earth) and The Power to Believe (2019 stereo/5.1/original master mixes plus Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With mini-album).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think I may just go with the stand-alone releases of both albums then spring for the box. I'm not really a huge fan of all the ProjeKct stuff to begin with but like the material on them, and am curious to hear how different ReconstruKction will sound with the new drums.

Plus I'm more excited for the ITOTCK box, and holding off for any other potential boxes to come out this year, including Floyd and Beatles sets.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Burning Shed: $144.12 (box set) + $21.76 (shipping) + $33.18 (VAT) = $199.06

DGM Live: $190.00 (box set) + $28.50 (shipping) = $218.50
    the VAT disappears for US residents if you log in to your burning shed account (i was really frustrated by that until i figured it out), so it was only $169 w/shipping from burning shed after £ conversion via paypal! can't believe i dropped that much money but since i haven't heard about 75% of the music in this box set, it seems worth it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yeah, I went with Burning Shed this time, too... even if there WASN'T surround & hi-res versions of the studio albums included, this would still be a dynamite gold mine of material... what is it, like 60+ hours of ProjeKcts and other improv during Crimson shows? Throw in 10+ hours of BootlegTV videos... that's amazing value for $170.

I'm just a little surprised that the 2004 rehearsals with an abortive four-man lineup including Tony Levin (essentially the 2008 quintet minus Gavin Harrison) seem not to have been included; maybe they're being saved for a separate release.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally watching Meltdown in 5.1 and there's something weird about Jakko's vocals, like an unnecessary, very quick echo (but only in 5.1...they're fine in stereo). has anyone else watched it and noticed this? and apparently it's only the video version, because the audio only (extended) version sounds fine.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Theo Travis has just been announced as the newest member of the band, replacing Bill Rieflin as it appears he has some things keeping him home.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I think these will probably be the 30th anniversary remasters of the original mixes, with few exceptions... that's what they put on iTunes, anyway. Would be very surprising if they went with the remixes for streaming. But I've been wrong before!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Theo Travis has just been announced as the newest member of the band, replacing Bill Rieflin as it appears he has some things keeping him home.
    Not so fast! Theo is not coming after all... Fripp just announced on Facebook:

In the King Crimson Rehearsal Zone at 13.02 today, Thursday 2nd. May, 2019, KC decided that, in Bill Rieflin's absence, to proceed as a Seven-Headed Beast. The decision was taken unanimously by all Crims. Tacitly, we accepted: regardless of the quality of player depping for Bill, simply, Bill is irreplaceable. It’s not the notes that are played, it’s the Billness of Bill that Master Rieflin brings to the group.

So, the KC incarnation celebrating this year’s Celebration touring is the second formation of The Seven-Headed Beast Of Crim.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Hopefully Bill is able to return by the time I see them in September. If not I know I'll enjoy this line-up anyway.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Will Adrian ever return though? Are they on speaking terms? What happened since their falling out a few years ago?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Will Adrian ever return though? Are they on speaking terms? What happened since their falling out a few years ago?
    Maybe he will play with them, but probably not; yes, they are speaking and Adrian is officially the 'ninth man' in Crimson though not currently in the touring lineup; they worked everything out that was amiss. Meanwhile, the solo band Adrian is touring with right now plays a lot of Crimson songs that he co-wrote during his tenure, which is well worth seeing.
    Last edited by botley; 05-05-2019 at 10:05 PM.