Page 176 of 353 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 226 276 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,280 of 10566

Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Love this band so much.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Never knew they played this live. Don't you just love it when bands play B-sides live? It makes the concerts they're played at more special.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Today one of our greatest musicians, Radim Hladik, passed away. Phenomenal guitarist I always likened to David Gilmour. If you are into prog rock you might want to give this a listen

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Laff if you want, but the only newish music i've found and dug in a hot minute is OFWGKTA.
    I am getting old and set in my ways i'm afraid. I hear new records and dig them but only listen to them a couple of times these days it seems.

But i can't get enough of Tyler, Earl and (ex) crew

Also, Ohhhh shit @Lew . I need to hear that new tribe, especially since Phife is gone.
    You don't have to tell me about a guest verse from SW to sell me on it.

Midnight Marauders for the win! Yep, i'm getting old!
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-05-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

ahahahhahahahahahahahaha, i just busted into my kids room, with the laptop blasting this.
    ha. little dorkish darling.
    he threw me out...after i danced for him.
    sweet. musical bombing is my fave part of being a parent (ok, not fave, but damn close)

(edited to add: he overheard me tell the younger one "stop! collaborate and listen"....which launched him into another tirade about lame music <kid loved maroon 5 and linkin park at one point buuut sure, bro. sure> which is why i dropped the track on him...usually i prefer to drop rem or tragically hip on him. he likes to say that michael stipe has the worst voice in the world, a sure fire way to get ye olde mother puffed up and outraged but he ASKED for this. no, vanilla ice is not child cruelty. lol.)
    Last edited by Lew; 12-05-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    best thing glassjaw ever did, in my opinion (the "our color green" EP/collection of singles is ALMOST as good, but both blow their full-length albums out of the water). really wish i had all of the 7"s of all the songs. : /

@elevenism i think earl is good and frank is good, but i despise tyler the creator; he's a homophobic, misogynistic, immature idiot.
    who the fuck thinks the line "rape a pregnant bitch and tell my friends i had a threesome" is an ok thing to say? jesus christ.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I do, b/c it's a rap lyric, where MC's have to bend over backwards nowadays to say something original. Furthermore, he's not serious. That should be obvious. He's a clown all the time & certainly not actually a violent dude in any way. Third, that whole freedom of expression thing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I do, b/c it's a rap lyric, where MC's have to bend over backwards nowadays to say something original. Furthermore, he's not serious. That should be obvious. He's a clown all the time & certainly not actually a violent dude in any way. Third, that whole freedom of expression thing.
    Agreed. No way I could be listening to death metal if I didn't just accept the lyrics as a story.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Agreed. No way I could be listening to death metal if I didn't just accept the lyrics as a story.
    Oh, do you not take Cannibal Corpse- Fucked With A Knife or Stripped, Raped & Strangled as true fact?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe;325626
    @[URL="http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475"
    elevenism[/URL] i think earl is good and frank is good, but i despise tyler the creator; he's a homophobic, misogynistic, immature idiot.
    who the fuck thinks the line "rape a pregnant bitch and tell my friends i had a threesome" is an ok thing to say? jesus christ.
    Good god, @eversonpoe . I hadn't caught that one. That's pretty fucking rough. I haven't listened to all of Goblin.
    However, that being said, it IS an avant garde kind of concept album-i've figured out that much from the songs i've heard.
    SO. I'm going to make an argument-ever read Tropic of Cancer? I will use this as an example. Tropic of Cancer (Henry Miller) is chock full of misogyny, and some of it is pretty disgusting. "You don't know how palatable is a poluted woman, how a change of semen can make a woman bloom!" or how about "I'm dancing with every slut in the place. But we're telling them we're leaving in the morning. That's what i tell every cunt i grab hold of..." Or how about the line that most disturbed me when i picked this shit up at 12 years old or whatever-how's this one for misogyny: " I am fucking you Tania, so that you'll stay fucked. And if you are afraid of being fucked publicly, i will fuck you privately...bite off your clitoris and spit out two francs." And remember, these aren't like shocking tidbits. This is a "love story" about "fucking" and prostitutes and suffering and death. This is how TOC rolls. And we have collectively deemed it important.
    Nabakov's Lolita is, for all of its gorgeous wordplay, ultimately about the extended kidnapping rape of a TWELVE year old. It's considered one of the greatest works in the english language. Burgess gives us disturbing rape and violence, and Kubrick brings us the terrible imagery in A Clockwork Orange. Continuing down the path of film, what about Lars Von Trier in Dogville and Nymphomaniac? And how about a hero you and i share, David Lynch? Good god, David Lynch's work is STUNNINGLY misogynistic and disturbing, most notably in Twin Peaks FWWM, in my opinion.
    Then you've got the epic poem Les Chants de Maldoror that gets deep into shit i don't even want to discuss here. Yet it is almost unanimously praised by surreaist painters like Dali who consider it a MASSIVE influence.
    So, we, as a society, give these books, poetry, paintings and films a "pass." We say to ourselves "hey, this subject matter is fucked up"-perhaps even to the point of being nauseating. But we go with it. We give it a shot because it is ultimately part of the human condition. It exists We peer into a dark, often dream-like realm full of taboo, where "nothing is forbidden and nothing is sacred." And sometimes, we find something quite sublime.
    I believe that it's worth a try to do the same thing with music, to at least give the musicians the same "pass" we grant the other artists and not write them off simply because they take us far beyond our comfort zone. Now remember, i haven't heard this song, and i know this kid is most likely no Nabakov or Lynch. But i DO know that the record garnered massive critical acclaim, so collectively, as a society, we appreciate it. It appears there is something of value there. I also really feel like most of the TTC i've heard is DEFINITELY intended to be artistic and explore multiple facets of his psyche. And some of it is sheer parody. A lot of this stuff appears to goes deeper than gratuitous slurs and misogyny found in older mainstream hip-hop.
    Of course, this sort of thing doesn't always work and of course it is extremely subjective. For the record, i usually skip BMWAG. And i ABHOR ICP. But sometimes, just sometimes, these things DO work, and i feel like musicians, ESPECIALLY young rappers, often are not offered the same degree of investigation and benefit of the doubt we give to writers and directors.

On a separate note, we have the charge of homophobia. But did you know that Tyler was one of Frank Ocean's first and most ardent supporters when Frank came out of the closet? He also made these shirts and posed for this photo in one of them. [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-06-2016 at 01:46 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    https://telefon-tel-aviv.bandcamp.co...it-fair-enough

maybe my all time favorite record. doesn't matter. But this reissue sounds even better than the original. terrifying. beautiful.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Oh, do you not take Cannibal Corpse- Fucked With A Knife or Stripped, Raped & Strangled as true fact?
    Well that one, yeah.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Because, why not?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

what a riot. and mighty impressive, too.
    sweet.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I used to have Prick's S/T album on cassette. I need that album now as it's so fucking underrated. Nothing had a fucking good roster. I blame John Malm for what happened to that label.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I live just outside of Chicago, so I've always heard about Chance the Rapper, but I never listened to anything by him until today. Wonderful.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Love this fucking song.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Chance The Rapper into Behemoth. Now that's a combo.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Love this fucking song.
    holy shit. that was an experience. definitely gonna check out more of their stuff.

also, 12 year old me is crying in the corner, 20 year old me is like FUCK YEAH, and 30 year old me is trying to figure out all the symbolism and analyze its context in our modern world. i'm weird.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    holy shit. that was an experience. definitely gonna check out more of their stuff.

also, 12 year old me is crying in the corner, 20 year old me is like FUCK YEAH, and 30 year old me is trying to figure out all the symbolism and analyze its context in our modern world. i'm weird.
    I love all their music videos.

No no clue where you should start with them. I'd start with The Satanist (song above is on it), Evangelion or The Apostasy (last three recent albums). Demigod is good too. Spotify this shit.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I love all their music videos.

No no clue where you should start with them. I'd start with The Satanist (song above is on it), Evangelion or The Apostasy (last three recent albums). Demigod is good too. Spotify this shit.
    i don't have spotify i'll have to check amazon music. or i guess i can just rely on youtube haha.

thanks for the recommendations! i used to hate vocals like theirs but i've really gotten more and more used to them to the point where i either don't mind them or actually enjoy them.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't have spotify i'll have to check amazon music. or i guess i can just rely on youtube haha.

thanks for the recommendations! i used to hate vocals like theirs but i've really gotten more and more used to them to the point where i either don't mind them or actually enjoy them.
    Any music outlet is fine.

I dig them a lot and Nergal's vocals are a lot better and stand out amongst most of the cookie cutter crap in that particular metal genre.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Any music outlet is fine.

I dig them a lot and Nergal's vocals are a lot better and stand out amongst most of the cookie cutter crap in that particular metal genre.
    as long as it's not cookie monster ;p hahaha just kidding, he's great. but some of the "cookie monster" esque metal vocals are pretty abominable.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Thank you Greg. We will miss you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    RELICATION

Fans of old Godflesh, Voivod, and maybe old Depressor...
    check out this finnish band! Old styled industrial metal without machines, totally analog. Feel the furnace.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    thats actually very hardcore influenced. That 90's metallic hardcore...early Ferret stuff et al.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)