Page 192 of 263 FirstFirst ... 92 142 182 190 191 192 193 194 202 242 ... LastLast
Results 5,731 to 5,760 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    positive review, though not really the greatest writing...

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/re...W1yUGJlS0kHCzU

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    No leaks yet?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I'm glad I abandoned physical music....
    Just moved into a new place and started culling some of my collection (while still keeping everything that’s special). It’s hard, but you do appreciate the space it gains you.

I’m reminded of NIN 2005 vs. Tool 2006. Trent said, CDs are dead; everyone downloads; fuck it; here’s a super minimalist CD. Tool said, here’s a CD you can’t download or scan; you need special lenses to experience it.

Whether or not you think it’s stupid or gimmicky, kudos to a band who finds reasons to make you buy their album beyond simply hoping your conscience makes you buy it instead of just downloading. Granted, $40 is bananas, but I appreciate them not just shrugging and doing something super simple.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I'm glad I abandoned physical music....
    First of all: this shit is expensive

But also I ran out of space. After all the movies and games and books and music and special editions of all my favorite things... I'm not one of minimal antimaterialists or anything, but the simplicity of having basically two apps that lets me listen to everything without having to manage data infrastructure and transfers is just.... Sane
    I totally get that, but I still go both ways.

For example: for casual day to day listening (cooking, cleaning, working on something, etc) I usually just open up Plex or Spotify, connect to my receiver or bluetooth speaker depending on where I am, and stream something.

But I'm also somebody who likes to take the time to do things slowly. It's why I use loose leaf tea and a kettle when I'm not in a hurry. It's why I use charcoal if I'm going to take the time to grill something. It's why I go to the library to get a book I'm interested in instead of just downloading it to my Nook. And in that same regard, it's why I still enjoy taking a physical copy of an album, queuing it up, and sitting down to listen to it. So for me, it's not physical OR digital. It's both, with each having its place in my life.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I personally am a huge fan of digital, like mp3's, but i'm too paranoid to rely on streaming. I've lost internet access enough times over the years to know that if you've got no access, you've got no streaming, and then you've got no entertainment. I'd rather have something that is fully disconnected from the internet and is portable, just in case. I still buy cd's though, because there's nothing like that new insert/booklet smell.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I personally am a huge fan of digital, like mp3's, but i'm too paranoid to rely on streaming. I've lost internet access enough times over the years to know that if you've got no access, you've got no streaming, and then you've got no entertainment. I'd rather have something that is fully disconnected from the internet and is portable, just in case. I still buy cd's though, because there's nothing like that new insert/booklet smell.
    In case you’re not aware, Spotify lets you download, so if you lose internet, you can still listen to anything you’ve saved onto your device.

But yes, that aside, I totally get the desire to feel like you actually have something.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    As toadflax said, Spotify offline is one option. Plex is another good option. Both allow you to stream when you want, and download for local playback when you think you might need it. Best of both worlds.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    They will probably launch a mobile app to control the screen, what do you think?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    No leaks yet?
    I’d assume review copies are heavily watermarked, and the critics notified as much... still, if it’s floating out there like this I would be very surprised if it doesn’t leak.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I’d assume review copies are heavily watermarked, and the critics notified as much... still, if it’s floating out there like this I would be very surprised if it doesn’t leak.
    If it’s anything like 10,000 Days, the listenings are supervised. But if it’s out there someone find it for me cuz this week at work has been an absolute bear and I need cheering up. Hah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    They will probably launch a mobile app to control the screen, what do you think?
    Imagine thinking Tool wanted to give you control...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I find it difficult to justify buying a CD if I will never listen to it. I find it overpriced (given the budget I have) to buy a collector's edition if I just store it to look at it once every decade (from personal experience). NIN's physical component was great, until he abandoned after 2 releases.

Paying for a streaming subscription is fun and all for discovering a shitload of albums I wouldn't necessarily buy, and to have access to "your" library anywhere, from home, to work, and changing phones. But 99% goes to Spotify and the popular artists (or whatever the ratio is given to artists).

But I still have the desire to actually pay the artist at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    I find it difficult to justify buying a CD if I will never listen to it. I find it overpriced (given the budget I have) to buy a collector's edition if I just store it to look at it once every decade (from personal experience). NIN's physical component was great, until he abandoned after 2 releases.
    Pure speculation, but I'm imagining you'll be able to have the visual aspect without the audio. (I think) The point is this is a piece of art meant to easily be shown off on a desk or shelf.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    What is the big deal here? It's a Limited Deluxe Edition for $40 bucks.

You get a digital download card. If you bought the full 10-track album digitally on Amazon, Apple, etc., that's $10-14 depending on site. If you bought a standalone physical CD, probably $15 with shipping. That's pushing $25-30 already.

You're getting a 30-page book.

Aside from the "art" LCD/visual screen, packaging, or gimmick if how ever you want to consider this particular physical release, it's still priced relatively low.

When they started discussing a limited release, I figured there would be a vinyl as well. You're looking at another $25 there. I was fully expecting something around $70-90. I have no shortage of deluxe edition releases from my favorite artists. I could pay off my mortgage on Steven Wilson's various related projects and their deluxe limited releases alone. But fuck it. I love music and I try to support my artists.

This is fucking Tool. Damn right I'm going to sling some money their way and be fucking grateful even if the album sucked balls. The amount of enrichment they have provided me in music over the years is not something I could even put a price tag on. Perhaps immeasurable. Oh you're releasing a deluxe artsy fartsy package? Take my fucking hard-earned money.

Edit: Just thinking I will probably also buy the 24 bit digital master from HDTracks and also get the vinyl as well when released. So by the time all is done, I will have spent around $90 on the new album regardless.
    Last edited by pulse; 08-18-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm not even close to the sort of Tool fanatic that's out there, but a limited edition with other stuff thrown in... we're really devaluing music when that's not worth 40 bucks to a mega fan. Back in the day, you should have seen my bar tab, and I don't even remember some of that shit and really just paid for it w/ suffering later.

If you really love Tool as much as some people seem to profess, 40 bucks should be a no brainer for a version of an album you waited more than a decade to hear.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm not even close to the sort of Tool fanatic that's out there, but a limited edition with other stuff thrown in... we're really devaluing music when that's not worth 40 bucks to a mega fan. Back in the day, you should have seen my bar tab, and I don't even remember some of that shit and really just paid for it w/ suffering later.

If you really love Tool as much as some people seem to profess, 40 bucks should be a no brainer for a version of an album you waited more than a decade to hear.
    The packaging being described is easily worth more than $40, too. I’m more than willing to throw them some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    $40 is really not that much...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what the set will actually look like yet?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    $40 is really not that much...
    Not sure why this got facepalmed. $40 would be a lot for literally just a CD. But look at the hardware that's included and the time that a skilled artist (or possibly artists) put into designing and producing this.

Facepalming "$40 is not really that much" for that package is a pretty clear "fuck you, artists don't deserve to be paid for their work".

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    As much as my motivation for Tool as swindled these days I think that 40$ are perfectly reasonably for what they are up to with the packing. But 90 EUR on the other hand or what can be seen on European websites is quite alot. Then again, what is a good price for a deluxe edition these days? For a while now I see pretty much every major exclusive release for about 100 EUR.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    CAN WE GET SOME MOTHERFUCKING FALL TOUR DATES PLZ!?

(yes, it’s 5:45 in the morning and I’m shouting)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    How much was that Ghosts boxset again....

$40 is completely reasonable for what they're offering

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    *waiting (im)patiently for leak updates at this point*

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I would think that if we don't see a leak by next Monday night then they have it locked down pretty well. Slipknot leaked on the Monday before release right?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I mean shit is going to start shipping to retailers by next week. Too much hype, it's going to leak. I seriously doubt it makes it to the week of release without leaking. Someone is going to get their hands on it and immediately know what they have. 11 days prior to release isn't too shabby however for something surrounded by such amped anticipation. If it makes it to within 7 days, I will be surprised. Any closer, shocked.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    How much was that Ghosts boxset again....

$40 is completely reasonable for what they're offering
    Good call, or every other NIN/TR&AR deluxe package... not diminishing their worth, but I wouldn't even put out something this expensive as an artist. Everyting around 150 EUR is okay by my standards, but of course it comes down to every individual on how much he wants to pay.

Guess most of the bad feelings towards Tool stem from the impression this will be the only official way to buy and hear the record in physical form. And even if I think their newest offering is not up to date media-wise, I'm sure alot of people will want to have this all of a sudden even after its sold out.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I mean shit is going to start shipping to retailers by next week. Too much hype, it's going to leak. I seriously doubt it makes it to the week of release without leaking. Someone is going to get their hands on it and immediately know what they have. 11 days prior to release isn't too shabby however for something surrounded by such amped anticipation. If it makes it to within 7 days, I will be surprised. Any closer, shocked.
    Yep. There's just too much hype for it not to leak pretty soon... I think within the next 5 days.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-19-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I wouldnt get too excited. All the major outlets are "sold out" of the pre-orders...to me this translates to none being on the shelf at your local Target on 8/30 -- I wouldnt be surprised if they did it this way so that ONLY pre-orders go out directly to customers and arrive on 8/30 -- possibly to avoid the "shipment to store, store employee leaking" scenario?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Not really... music is hard enough to sell at this point, let the people with enough power to lock it down force you to wait a sec... if the band wants you to wait just wait...

I’ve really come to hate the way I used to feel about this really... I used to see it as a fight against the RIAA and “fuck them” etc etc... that fight is over and everyone lost; the fans and the industry. Now music is “free” and treated like trash, fans are entitled, Billie Elish is apparently edgy or some shit... let them do their thing, wait if you care, otherwise walk on

Personally, I liked being excited about new music that I wanted to hear, and anticipation was part of the “game.”
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-19-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i didn’t facepalm the post because i don’t believe artists should be paid. give me a fucking break. you know damn well that maynard is laughing all the way to the bank with everyone buying up this gimmicky thing. that’s all.