Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Congratulations to Erin O'Toole on losing the next election.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Fuck yeah Annamie Paul! GO DONATE TO HER BY-ELECTION CAMPAIGN, SHE COULD WIN BILL MORNEAU'S OLD SEAT IN THREE WEEKS.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    *laughs at Kenney*

Stupid, corrupt, lying, loser.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Can I be the next governor general of Canada? I speak the French and the English and I think the queen is a sweet old grandma. That's enough qualification, isn't it?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tight lock down measures for Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ling-1.5990518

Police have expanded authority to pull over cars, and people for questioning. This is necessary but will also send the conspiracy minded / gov't overreach crowd over the edge.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    No, granting Police even more power is not a necessary measure.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Tight lock down measures for Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ling-1.5990518

Police have expanded authority to pull over cars, and people for questioning. This is necessary but will also send the conspiracy minded / gov't overreach crowd over the edge.
    Oh yeah, you can bet that Rebel news shithead Ezra Levant will be just milking the hell out of this.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Every single person on my social media, right or left leaning, is upset with the Premier for this utter travesty.

*ghost of Doug Ford Sr.* "THE WRONG KID DIED."
    Last edited by botley; 04-16-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Scientists hate it. Even the fucking Police hate it:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I dunno...we did need more enforcement, but not like this. The way this is set up, all it does is give the police more freedom to hassle visible minorities.

What we really needed was to have more enforcement around the mask mandates. Instead of allowing people who fake a medical condition to enter a store without one, force them to wait outside. Stores will already happily bring your items to the curb for you and shop for you, but these assholes refuse that option when it's presented to them. Some police backup with this would be useful, but that's not what we got.

We need enforcement of distancing, masking and keeping non-essentials home in factories, warehouses and offices. That's not a police matter, that's a workplace inspection issue.

We need to actually start ticketing everyone who shows up at an anti-mask/anti-lockdown/anti-vaccine protest. That's something the police can do, but I don't think this accomplishes this.

There are other things that are needed too, beyond enforcement, like mandatory paid sick days, but we didn't get that.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    There are other things that are needed too, beyond enforcement, like mandatory paid sick days, but we didn't get that.
    Yeah. We didn't get much of anything from Ford that would actually help make the crisis less bad. At any time at all. In the last thirteen months.

Ford has backed down and cancelled the provincial order re: Police carding any passing citizen they please on penalty of a $750 fine, after a near-universal rebuke for yet another one of his outrageous, arrogant, ill-considered policies that would harm people and waste precious time — while our hospital wards are literally overflowing with people getting sick and dying — as a result of his government and their idiotic prevarications.

NDP, Liberal, Green — a fucking performing cat circus would have done a better job running the province than this clown show in Queen's Park right now.
    Last edited by botley; 04-17-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    a fucking performing cat circus
    I would love to see a circus of cats in a political position of power. Damn...
    I know who I'm voting for next election!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    And that's before today's presser stunt...wow.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    And that's before today's presser stunt...wow.
    Fuckin' crocodile tears. I liked the journalist that basically asked "why are you crying, is it because you failed so hard?"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ^ Great analysis, thanks for posting.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    A mass grave of 215 children found near a Residential School in British Columbia. No real response from the Federal Government. I wonder what Trudeau's plan will be. As much as he likes to throw around "reconciliation" the gov't seems to pump effort into research and reports that do not go anywhere. Around Canada's 150th celebrations a lot of people were throwing around the sentiment of "150 years of genocide". I thought that calling it that seemed like a bit much but the discovery of a mass grave at one of the hundreds of Residential Schools is making me feel otherwise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...hool-1.6043778

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    A mass grave of 215 children found near a Residential School in British Columbia. No real response from the Federal Government. I wonder what Trudeau's plan will be. As much as he likes to throw around "reconciliation" the gov't seems to pump effort into research and reports that do not go anywhere. Around Canada's 150th celebrations a lot of people were throwing around the sentiment of "150 years of genocide". I thought that calling it that seemed like a bit much but the discovery of a mass grave at one of the hundreds of Residential Schools is making me feel otherwise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...hool-1.6043778
    I cringe everytime I read Canada's 150th. I know what it means and what it stands for but it's still making me cringe. And 150 of genocide is making me cringe too, big time.

My family has been here for 385 years now. So yeah, I cringe. And while I don't know if any of my ancestors were involved in the so-called "Indian Wars", I have been taught how the French sent clothes and blackets that they knew had belong to people who have had smallpox to the First Nations. I have been taught that we stole their lands. I have been taught that we tried very hard to assimilate them by having them send their children to Catholic School. So 150 years of genocide? Make that 400 + years.

I know that and I am deeply, deeply ashamed by it. And I am not afraid to call it "genocide".

And I was not surprise at all by that discovery. Wait until we discover the other mass graves.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    After seeing Kenney's response to the Sky Palace shindig, I will now say that I do everything with "reasonable effort."

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ^ OMG pwnd

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Important thread on what the Canadian gov is proposing for harmful content online.

Here also is a direct link to the framework
    https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...cal-paper.html

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...rces-1.5544491

And there it is. Trudeau appears to be asking the GG on Sunday to call a snap election for Sep. 20th. Personally, I think this is a bad move. The Liberal calculation is that they only stand to gain from the other parties' disarray... yeah, maybe, but that doesn't mean you need to drag us all to the fucking polling stations when we just entered a fourth wave.

A podcast I like called The Backbench described this as Machiavellian and... yep, it is. Even MPs in Trudeau's own cabinet who won their seats in 2015 for the first time will literally be running to save their own pensions. If he'd held off even for an extra month, they'd be safe to collect those after the six-year mark.
    Last edited by botley; 08-12-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Can you believe that he's younger than Trudeau?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So we're now less than 3 months away from the election, and I'm trying to get involved in a better way than I have in the past this time. In the past, I've argued my position on the internet, and discussed with family and friends, but that's been the extent of it.

This year I volunteered to help out with Trecia McLennon's campaign. I did some door knocking on Saturday, delivered some signs on Monday, and I'll be making phone calls for her tonight too.

I kinda suspect we're going to end up with a Liberal government again, but my old ways were really not doing anything, and I'd really like to figure out how to be effective in helping out the candidates that I'd actually like to see win.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    My riding is the one with the MP making the news lately, our very own Marjorie Taylor Green "Cheryl Gallant". *puke*

She needs to gooooooooo but this area will all but make her a shoe-in. EDIT: FYI she's been our MP since fucking 2000.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 09-01-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Great, detailed overview of the upcoming snap election and Canadian politics in general (helpful as an American) here. Starting at 1:03:30 with a Canadian leftist/politics junkie, Lance from The Serfs. No idea why this would be age restricted.