Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @elevenism I tried to message you but your PM box is full. I've probably got a practically free MIDI controller that will fully work for your purposes

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    @elevenism I tried to message you but your PM box is full. I've probably got a practically free MIDI controller that will fully work for your purposes
    oh shit!
    bad ass.
    i will delete some messages man, send me the details. Thanks!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    oh shit!
    bad ass.
    i will delete some messages man, send me the details. Thanks!
    hehe, your message box is full again. You might need to delete that long synth-primer thing I sent you. PM me your email.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    discussion of crystal japan in the NIN thread got me listening to that again, and goddamn I love the synth sounds on it

anybody have any idea what synths they were using on it?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    discussion of crystal japan in the NIN thread got me listening to that again, and goddamn I love the synth sounds on it

anybody have any idea what synths they were using on it?
    I think it's mainly the ARP Solina String Ensemble synth and Arp Odyssey. The choir vocal might be a mellotron run through some effects. It's hard to tell for sure. Maybe it was Robert Fripp adding layers of processed guitar.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I think it's mainly the ARP Solina String Ensemble synth and Arp Odyssey. The choir vocal might be a mellotron run through some effects. It's hard to tell for sure. Maybe it was Robert Fripp adding layers of processed guitar.
    so you're telling me I should buy that Odyssey reissue? ;-)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so you're telling me I should buy that Odyssey reissue? ;-)
    You could definitely do a lot worse! I was looking at it for a while, and I'm still tempted even though I've got my plate full as it is now. A large part of the sound you're hearing in that song is reliant upon the verb tone and tape saturation too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    You could definitely do a lot worse! I was looking at it for a while, and I'm still tempted even though I've got my plate full as it is now. A large part of the sound you're hearing in that song is reliant upon the verb tone and tape saturation too.
    that's part of why I'm so fascinated with that track, though: the technology at the time was in its infancy compared to now, and I feel like they really milked it for all it was worth

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    that's part of why I'm so fascinated with that track, though: the technology at the time was in its infancy compared to now, and I feel like they really milked it for all it was worth
    Restricting yourself to limitations is an underused approach to making music now, and that's a newly modern thing because we're so bombarded with endless possibilities. The truth is, you could reconstruct the sound of Crystal Japan with plugin synths, some hardware (mostly for saturation), and know-how. The question is, if you were stuck in a room with only those two synthesizers, would you be more inclined to make that piece of music sound the way it did? Reverse engineering a song is a tricky concept.

But yeah, I also want an ARP Odyssey reissue so bad... At this point if I hadn't already assembled a pretty over-the-top synth setup, I would feel like that purchase would be completely warranted, and I would actually say fuck yeah. You won't regret buying it, and even if you change your mind some point down the line, that device will DEFINITELY retain its value and you'll sell it back for pretty much what you paid for it originally, if not more.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Roland's latest in the ACB line of synthesizers is a set of three modules modeled after the Jupiter 8, Juno 106, and JX-3p.

The JP-08 is $399, JN-06 and JX-03 are both $299.

Here's an imgur gallery. The mini keyboard is (thankfully) separate.

I'm looking forward to the future blowout sale on the currently $499 Yamaha Reface CS.

Given the quality of the ACB stuff put out so far, I think the only downside to these things is that they are only four voices - however, you can chain two together for eight-voice polyphony, and still have thousands leftover from what you'd pay for the originals. These are going to be shipped the first week of November.

What's left in classical reissues? The Arp 2600 seems like something that'll happen in 2016 or 2017.

While I think it's awesome that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for the sound and feel of these classic machines anymore, I'm really hoping that in the next year or two, we see things get taken to the next level. I don't know why really, because I'm happy with what I've got, but - for example - the Arp Odyssey. It's pretty cool that Korg did that faithful, if miniature, recreation, but if Behringer follows through on their Odyssey clone concept, and does for it what Moog did with the Sub 37, allowing for complex modulation routing, patch memory, and an onboard sequencer, I'll throw down cash for that. I think.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    but if Behringer follows through on their Odyssey clone concept, and does for it what Moog did with the Sub 37, allowing for complex modulation routing, patch memory, and an onboard sequencer, I'll throw down cash for that. I think.
    Everything Behringer proposes sounds amazing for the value, and then you buy it and feel burnt. Who knows though, maybe they're trying to reinvent their name/brand, and if their clone sounds good for that price, I'd be interested.
    There's no way I'd be an early adopter though.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Everything Behringer proposes sounds amazing for the value, and then you buy it and feel burnt. Who knows though, maybe they're trying to reinvent their name/brand, and if their clone sounds good for that price, I'd be interested.
    There's no way I'd be an early adopter though.
    Just curious - have you ever used an X32?

And yeah, early adopting sucks in general. I waited months to get my Sub 37, serial number in the 4000s, and I still got bit by an early adopter bug (filter cutoff wonkiness... control board is currently in the factory, I'm patiently awaiting its replacement). And I pre-ordered the Tempest, against my better judgment. I'm still glad I did it, as a show of faith and to encourage that kind of bold development, but what I received in the mail was a machine with an incomplete OS. It took something like a year and a half before you could set the time signature to anything other than 4/4. Maybe not that long, but it felt like that long.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Just curious - have you ever used an X32?
    No. Is this their live mixer? I had heard good things about that.
    I'm not dog-piling on Behringer, but given my past experiences I'm a little apprehensive. My anecdotal experience only goes so far. I have friends who swear by the BCR

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    No. Is this their live mixer? I had heard good things about that.
    Yup! I haven't actually used one myself yet, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be going with when we outfit the theater. It's gotten almost universal acclaim. The only Behringer thing I own is a patch bay. My buddy Tony has what I guess is now an old Eurorack mixer, and he swears by it. I believe he bought it in 1999.

I'm still not pre-ordering the Behringer Odyssey, should it materialize. I got that out of my system with the Sub 37 (which, thinking on it, I did technically pre-order, because it took six months between my placing the order and it being fulfilled, despite ordering it months after it came out) and the Tempest.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Yup! I haven't actually used one myself yet, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be going with when we outfit the theater. It's gotten almost universal acclaim. The only Behringer thing I own is a patch bay. My buddy Tony has what I guess is now an old Eurorack mixer, and he swears by it. I believe he bought it in 1999.

I'm still not pre-ordering the Behringer Odyssey, should it materialize. I got that out of my system with the Sub 37 (which, thinking on it, I did technically pre-order, because it took six months between my placing the order and it being fulfilled, despite ordering it months after it came out) and the Tempest.
    I heard it was a good take on the Yamaha O1V/O2R consoles, but more user friendly and actually better built. Have you messed with the Roland Aira mixer?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Have you messed with the Roland Aira mixer?
    Having no AIRA equipment, the Aira mixer - while a genuinely interesting concept - has no spot in my lineup. Though most of my equipment's broken down while we wait for the theater and apartment to be built, the things with the inputs that I use are:
    M-Audio ProjectMix IO
    This specific Sound Workshop 1280b - although I paid well under half the asking price in that thread.
    Zoom R24 & Zoom R16 (paid $250 for each of them, so I can easily record 16 channels remotely)
    Samson S-Patch & Behringer Ultrapatch Pro

My plan is to use the Sound Workshop console as a bank of preamps going into either the ProjectMix or the Zoom(s), depending on what I'm recording. When I work on mixing, it's usually working on Reaper with the ProjectMix. Fader automation: so not necessary, but it makes the process just a little more enjoyable.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Having no AIRA equipment, the Aira mixer - while a genuinely interesting concept - has no spot in my lineup. Though most of my equipment's broken down while we wait for the theater and apartment to be built, the things with the inputs that I use are:
    M-Audio ProjectMix IO
    This specific Sound Workshop 1280b - although I paid well under half the asking price in that thread.
    Zoom R24 & Zoom R16 (paid $250 for each of them, so I can easily record 16 channels remotely)
    Samson S-Patch & Behringer Ultrapatch Pro

My plan is to use the Sound Workshop console as a bank of preamps going into either the ProjectMix or the Zoom(s), depending on what I'm recording. When I work on mixing, it's usually working on Reaper with the ProjectMix. Fader automation: so not necessary, but it makes the process just a little more enjoyable.
    Damn, you got a good deal on your R24.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    dammit moog
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/1...is/#more-39446
    is there where I finally jump into the modular stuff?

I've got my moog little phatty + cv mod + moogerfooger + cp-251 setup but its sort of cumbersome...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Man. It's getting harder and harder every year to resist the pull of going modular. And what's funny is, there are hundreds, if not thousands of Eurorack modules out there that do wonderfully complex things that you can't get in a more standard synthesizer, but there's something about that rack of three Mother-32s that makes me covet that setup. There's a simplicity in their design, yes, and they're not as pretty as the Sub 37, and I would probably be better off spending that money on a Pro-2... but the appeal is very strong here, and I can't explain why.

Conversely, I wasn't very excited about the Roland Boutique synths, aside from seeing Roland continue to pursue their ACB tech, putting it into more attractive tactile interfaces, but I think I might pick one of those up next year. Used, naturally. I don't really have any straightforward polysynths - I've got the MS2000 and the Poly Evolver. Sometimes you just need a Juno or a Jupiter, and if I can do that for $200, I'm pretty okay with that.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm definitely making the jump into the modular/eurorack world soon... and the Moog unit looks cool (and is a good price for what you're getting), but I feel like there's other units that would be more essential for me first.

EDIT: Though now that I've heard the demo samples created by Haxan Cloak I'm newly interested....
    https://soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/...-sound-samples
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-03-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Made the jump to modular a few months ago. RIP bank account, but it was the way to go for the way I work musically. Very hands on.

Really interested in the Mother, especially after hearing the demos from Haxan Cloak. Though at the end of the day, I really only want the oscillator and the filter.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Really interested in the Mother, especially after hearing the demos from Haxan Cloak. Though at the end of the day, I really only want the oscillator and the filter.
    Yeah, but the price is reasonable even if that's all you want... and come on, you know you want the sequencer too!

Also, anyone have a TI-82 calculator lying around? This is ridiculous/awesome:
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...nth-sequencer/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah, but the price is reasonable even if that's all you want... and come on, you know you want the sequencer too!

Also, anyone have a TI-82 calculator lying around? This is ridiculous/awesome:
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...nth-sequencer/
    I'm actually worried about space. The price is awesome!

And that is awesome. Wish I had one of those calculators.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Wish I had one of those calculators.
    I just picked up a backup off Ebay a week ago... but I finally got it working today. It's a little more difficult to get the stuff loaded on the device if you're working with Mac OSX, and then at the end I didn't see the bit about how the output jack is 2.5mm, which resulted in a day-long search for that.

I got it though.. and fuck yeah it sounds super insane. If anyone else is interested in doing this thing with the Texas Instruments calculator, message me first so I can hopefully save you some grief.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Among other things, I've been working on a new workspace.

I still need to finish the wood shelves. The plan is to give them the shou sugi ban treatment, because I think charred & lacquered wood will go great with the weathered steel legs. I had just enough leftover wood from making the shelves to build a little riser for the 606.

Last week I recorded a track straight to the Zoom R24, which has just enough channels for what I've got set up here. It's nice to have a setup that I can sit down to and start working with immediately, without distraction.

(He types on his laptop, from the next room.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Among other things, I've been working on a new workspace.

I still need to finish the wood shelves. The plan is to give them the shou sugi ban treatment, because I think charred & lacquered wood will go great with the weathered steel legs. I had just enough leftover wood from making the shelves to build a little riser for the 606.

Last week I recorded a track straight to the Zoom R24, which has just enough channels for what I've got set up here. It's nice to have a setup that I can sit down to and start working with immediately, without distraction.

(He types on his laptop, from the next room.)
    Synth pr0n, for real!!! But all jokes aside, I seriously envy your setup. I hope to acquire the MS-20 mini in the near future, but my X-station 49 suits my needs for now.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin5in View Post
    Synth pr0n, for real!!! But all jokes aside, I seriously envy your setup. I hope to acquire the MS-20 mini in the near future, but my X-station 49 suits my needs for now.
    If you can save up for an MS20 mini, you can save up for a Sub 37. It takes a little longer, but you can get there. In my case, I was saving up for the Sub 37 when the PEK showed up on Craigslist for $1100. Including a $300 hardshell case. (That's a little over the price of two MS20 minis). It wasn't really something I planned on adding to my setup, but I could not pass that up. I was doing some programming on it last night on a patch that used unison mode, and that was definitely the correct choice.

Sell your junk, save up for quality equipment, it really does help ease the process of making music.

P.S. . Making music without my computer!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    lately I've been tinkering with circuit bent keyboards and creating sample banks out of them, and it's a weird reminder that chaos is more powerful and generally cooler than the human imagination. You could spend years studying synthesis, learning how to craft the sounds in your head from scratch through various avenues, and then you'll hear a modded "toy" synth laugh at everything you've ever done.

the Yamaha Portasound especially... OMFG.

Also, @Leviathant, awesome studio space. At the same time, how are you interfacing with it? I would imagine that working with the bottom tier would be hell on your back. Do you have a rolling chair/stool on wheels for when you want to menu-dive into the Poly?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-01-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    lately I've been tinkering with circuit bent keyboards and creating sample banks out of them, and it's a weird reminder that chaos is more powerful and generally cooler than the human imagination. You could spend years studying synthesis, learning how to craft the sounds in your head from scratch through various avenues, and then you'll hear a modded "toy" synth laugh at everything you've ever done.
    I don't have a citation offhand, but I read somewhere that's why Steve Reich moved away from electronic music in general. Listen to all that's going on in a recording of Drumming!

Also, @Leviathant, awesome studio space. At the same time, how are you interfacing with it? I would imagine that working with the bottom tier would be hell on your back. Do you have a rolling chair/stool on wheels for when you want to menu-dive into the Poly?
    With my drums in storage, my Pork Pie drum throne is just in front of the setup, but just out of the picture. Well. It's in the picture, but there's a cat butt in the way. It's just the right height for this application, the only trouble at the moment is the spot in the coffee table where a drawer's supposed to go. I haven't given it a good looking over to see if there's much in the way of structural support yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be alright to take the Sawzall to it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @Leviathant hey, I've been trying to record a bunch of parts we've been putting together in the Tempest and were trying to multitrack record it out to the computer. I tried running the six voices simultaneously into my audio interface, and it did separate the voices, but the result was kind of unusable because it would be putting different sounds on different voices... like, voice one would have the kick, then the kick would be on voice 2 or something, and then the hi hat would show up toggling between voices 1 or 4 or whatever...

So actually getting the "sounds" I want on their own respective channels seemed to be a more laborious process than just going through and individually dumping the solo'd parts... which is really not an effective way to go about things. Do you have any suggestions?