Moving this discussion here so as not to get too off-topic in covid coping thread...

Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
I've read this several times and even slept on it and it's still not making sense to me. Are you sure you're not talking about a Wii? Because the Wii U will not play GC games without emulation, and the controller thing makes even less sense.I have a Wii U that I keep meaning to mod to play GC games but I'm also afraid of bricking it - even though it's supposed to be really frickin' easy - so it hasn't changed.
Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
yeah, as far as i know, the Wii will play gamecube games natively & has the controller ports to support it (which is how i played gamecube games for a long time after getting a Wii). but the WiiU doesn't work with gamecube controllers without the outboard gamecube to dual USB adapter, and even then, only for smash bros. it also doesn't have a disc-loading mechanism to detect the smaller discs, so i don't know how it would bring them in and mount them the way the Wii is able to do..
The WiiU's vWii mode isn't just a matter of running the Wii's OS on the WiiU's hardware - the WiiU contains a separate Wii GPU that gets engaged in vWii mode - like a mini Wii. And so insofar as the Wii can play GC games, the WiiU can too (in vWii mode) without emulation. All you need to do is install the Homebrew channel to your vWii, copy Nintendont to an SD card along with your game backups, and you're good to go. Nintendont will detect Gamecube controllers connected via the Smash adapter (but will also work with most other wireless controllers). The games can be run in 16:9, and can be also customised with other little visual and gameplay enhancements (like turning off the horrible distance blur in Wind Waker). The results are significantly better than it's possible to get playing GC games on the Wii, even with the component cable. And if you do have a Wii you can use it to extract all your old saves from the GC memory card and transfer them over to the WiiU.

Definitely don't sell the WiiU! It's pretty close to the all-in-one pre-Switch Nintendo machine.