Page 7 of 113 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2020-21 - Epilogue

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    This fuckin' guy...one way to see what crimes Trump is guilty of is to look at who he pardons, etc...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    This fuckin' guy...one way to see what crimes Trump is guilty of is to look at who he pardons, etc...
    While I'm never in the habit of defending Trump, Blago's 14-year sentence was RIDICULOUS. Blago attempted the shakedown, but none of it actually happened. Blago's a total dickhead, sure. (And I voted for him, twice, ugh.)

Some perspective:

Former Illinois Governor George Ryan, indicted on multiple counts, was found guilty on all counts.

These charges stemmed from an investigation of the sale of commercial driver's licenses to unqualified people (bribes), after a family inside of a van was hit by a driver carrying one of those driver's licenses.

All six of the children inside of the van were killed in the crash (burned to death).

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...oryId=16051850
    https://abc7chicago.com/archive/8974745/
    https://wgntv.com/2014/11/06/tribute...-20-years-ago/

Burned to death.

Ryan received a six-year sentence.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-18-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Trump didn't commute his sentence out of the goodness of his non-existent heart. The length is irrelevant.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Trump didn't commute his sentence out of the goodness of his non-existent heart. The length is irrelevant.
    Blago's a Democrat, so Trump is definitely pandering.

Trump is also considering clemency for Reality Winner. Again, pandering.

Either way, still WAY TOO LONG a sentence. For both of them.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-18-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Blago's a Democrat, so Trump is definitely pandering.

Trump is also considering clemency for Reality Winner. Again, pandering.

Either way, still WAY TOO LONG a sentence. For both of them.
    Pandering? To whom?

I just don't buy the suggestion this was anything more than Trump feeling good about himself for commuting the sentence of a guy convicted of soliciting bribes, a crime he has likely committed multiple times while in office. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Pandering? To whom?

I just don't buy the suggestion this was anything more than Trump feeling good about himself for commuting the sentence of a guy convicted of soliciting bribes, a crime he has likely committed multiple times while in office. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Pandering to Trump’s imaginary swing voters in the Midwest.

Note that Republicans have been telling Trump NOT to commute Blago’s sentence.

FWIW: An 8- or 9-year sentence was beyond appropriate for Blagojevich. He tried shaking down a children’s hospital. The guy’s a jerk. But 14 years was a “message” to Illinois Governors to knock that shit off. 4 of the last 7 Illinois Governors have gone to prison.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ence-reduction
    Last edited by allegro; 02-18-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Pandering to Trump’s imaginary swing voters in the Midwest.

An 8- or 9-year sentence was appropriate for Blagojevich. He tried shaking down a children’s hospital. The guy’s a jerk. But 14 years was a “message” to Illinois Governors to knock that shit off. 4 of the last 7 Illinois Governors have gone to prison.
    To be clear: I'm not arguing whether or not the guy got a ridiculous sentence. I'll agree to disagree.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    To be clear: I'm not arguing whether or not the guy got a ridiculous sentence. I'll agree to disagree.
    Blago was on “Celebrity Apprentice,” so that likely influenced Trump’s decision. But Rick Wilson made an interesting point, today:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Not a crime if the attempt fails...right? Based on Trump's defenders I believe that's how it works now?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    This is YUGE. Potentially.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    it would appear his lawyer says he can back it up.

man. first Mueller, then impeachment, now this? it's hard to tell if it's going to be even a blip in the ocean of this man's sea of shit.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Mr Anti-Corruption commuting Blago's sentence is pure, deliberate gaslighting, plain and simple.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    There is a lot of misinformation floating out there regarding my meeting with Julian Assange so let me provide some clarity on the matter:

At no time did I talk to President Trump about Julian Assange. Likewise, I was not directed by Trump or anyone else connected with him to meet with Julian Assange. I was on my own fact finding mission at personal expense to find out information I thought was important to our country. I was shocked to find out that no other member of Congress had taken the time in their official or unofficial capacity to interview Julian Assange. At no time did I offer Julian Assange anything from the President because I had not spoken with the President about this issue at all. However, when speaking with Julian Assange, I told him that if he could provide me information and evidence about who actually gave him the DNC emails, I would then call on President Trump to pardon him. At no time did I offer a deal made by the President, nor did I say I was representing the President. Upon my return, I spoke briefly with Gen. Kelly. I told him that Julian Assange would provide information about the purloined DNC emails in exchange for a pardon. No one followed up with me including Gen. Kelly and that was the last discussion I had on this subject with anyone representing Trump or in his Administration.

Even though I wasn't successful in getting this message through to the President I still call on him to pardon Julian Assange, who is the true whistleblower of our time. Finally, we are all holding our breath waiting for an honest investigation into the murder of Seth Rich.
    Seth Rich's family has repeatedly asked that they stop peddling and retract this shit. And they're still doing it - over three years later.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    "personal expense" my ass. taxpayers paid for that shit and should ask for their money back.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    It’s true, he spent like 30 minutes on his porch talking and acting like he was a victim. He was not one bit contrite. He was back to being that Governor we in Illinois knew: long on a memorized speech, and short on self-observation. You’d think he was campaigning, again. He DID do some good stuff for the citizens of Illinois. Free and $2 RTA cards that still exist because of him still make him a hero among minorities and seniors. But, the guy thinking he’s some victim of political persecution is lacking any self-responsibility.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-19-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Roger Stone received a 40 month prison sentence. Source: Every news outlet.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Roger Stone received a 40 month prison sentence. Source: Every news outlet.
    Sounds like Judge Jackson pressed the US prosecutor(s) fairly hard on the sentencing memo fiasco and didn't pull punches on Roger in her remarks. That said, Trump will pardon and he won't serve a minute of it.

Also this (second tweet):

Last edited by cdm; 02-20-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Depends on what the judge wants to do, I've seen Federal judges deny those motions (to stay sentence) many times.

Of course, Trump could pardon Stone tomorrow before Stone sets one foot into prison, but that would mean Stone is forever strapped with the "convicted felon" tag. If Stone wins an appeal, he can get rid of that. It's really hard to win an appeal, but whatever; we just KNOW this guy is gonna die trying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Trump couldn't even read the subtitles if his stupid ass ever even TRIED to watch Parasite.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Anderson Cooper should get an award for this Blago interview:

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    45 just pulled $8 Billion in healthcare funding to NY.

We recently implemented a law which allows undocumented immigrants access to driver's licenses and are not allowing ICE access to their information.

So first he blocked us from using Global Entry, and now this.

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...new-york-cuomo

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Him & his admin use the act of just trying to fuck with & anger their opposition as the main basis for their policy decisions. It's infuriating. But it was to be expected b/c that trolling aspect is literally the main reason a vast majority of his base voted for him in the first place. They just want to fuck with libs. Disgusting people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anderson Cooper should get an award for this Blago interview:

I like how he leaves Bernie stuttering here around 0:20

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Relevant: GOP Mega-donor buys large share of Twitter and promises to push out current CEO. https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/bil...ompany-report/
    Last edited by Demogorgon; 03-01-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Relevant: GOP Mega-donor buys large share of Twitter and promises to push out current CEO. https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/bil...ompany-report/
    Yeah, I don’t like Jack but holy shit, this is wacko.