Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1398

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Did you guys notice a sax in Shit Mirror too?
    My husband phased some songs from bad witch for fun and you can really hear it.
    https://m.soundcloud.com/kukesaur/sets/bad-witch-phased
    Last edited by Andallthatcouldhavebeen; 11-13-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Did you guys notice a sax in Shit Mirror too?
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Yeah ! Some of those samples are definitively sax. It's actually everywhere on the album in some form or another I'd guess.
    i wouldn't call it a sample since it's trent actually playing it. it comes in and mirrors (heh) the guitar line in verse 2 and it's my favorite part of the song. wish trent would play it live Spoiler: since robin sings the verses, anyway.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I actually can't stand TR's stated impetus and inspiration for Bad Witch, yet I really dig the little album.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i wouldn't call it a sample since it's trent actually playing it. it comes in and mirrors (heh) the guitar line in verse 2 and it's my favorite part of the song. wish trent would play it live Spoiler: since robin sings the verses, anyway.
    Aha yes, but I mean if you record a sax, and then modify that sound, twist it, modify it.. it's still a sample. That he made himself of course. Just the first definition of the word. Whent it goes through a sampler ya know.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Aha yes, but I mean if you record a sax, and then modify that sound, twist it, modify it.. it's still a sample. That he made himself of course. Just the first definition of the word. Whent it goes through a sampler ya know.
    but what makes you think that was part of the process instead of just...playing the sax and recording it? what makes it a sample if it's simply a recorded part?

(not being a dick, honestly want to know what you think!)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    but what makes you think that was part of the process instead of just...playing the sax and recording it? what makes it a sample if it's simply a recorded part?

(not being a dick, honestly want to know what you think!)
    Good question, I can't know that precisely lol. But some of those really distorted sounds and the way they repeat, the way Trent and Atticus have been making music on this Trilogy, makes me think they did more than just overlay recordings of sax in real time. Everything from the placement of the mic to the way it's processed by at every single point until the release, the sound could have been untouched and raw or modified, stretched, assembled, enhanced, deconstructed, a hundreds of times.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don’t think many people are really spending enough time with these records to really get the depth of genius and subtlety that are in them. They are such deep dives. If mankind had a future in fifty years this is the kind of music they would be freaking out about, writing books about, dissecting and debating... I mean Bad Witch alone - it is a new kind of music. If you listen to for what it is and set aside preconceptions about what it is supposed to be - it can’t be classified. It’s like nothing else out there.

I can’t get enough of it. We live in a culture that is so noisy and distracted that this kind of brilliance will never rise above it all to truly be heard, so those of us here needing out about it, and maybe some future better humans than exist now, are the only ones to get a chance to really appreciate it.

Trent Reznor is just so unappreciated in our crappy culture. It’s a crime.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The printed lyric for OAO is "Am I remembering you correctly?" but all I can hear is "Am I remembering you?" Am I...listening correctly?

Also, OAO in general.

Am I remembering you correctly
    Over and over again
    I’ve always been 10 years ahead of you

What does this mean? Seeing one's own actions ahead of time with respect to lack of free will as per the Quietus interview? That's what I'm getting.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I think it means that the person he was ten years ago was better suited for today. That he always feels like he is changing and whatever he is changing into always ends up being out of step with the rest of society. So he feels out of place and alienated at the time, but years later feels vindicated. Year Zero was ten years ago when he wrote this and it came true. The things that he is feeling and saying, maybe a decade from now, will feel much more relavent and clear, but it will be too late to be able to feel rewarding. The eternal plight of the gifted artist, the prophet, or the one who is awake. Shadows on the cave walls. Truth being told but not understood in the moment. That’s how I take it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like how you can hear the scream from I'm Not From This World at the beginning of Over and Out for the final time. Like it's escaping for the last time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    What's this lol ?

http://arcanumifallet.pcriot.com/fetched/04.%20God%20Break%20Down%20the%20Door.mp3?plead=pl ease-dont-download-this-or-our-lawyers-wont-let-us-host-audio

"God Break Down The Door [Instrumental]" from this tumblr blog

edit : fan made "instrumental" it seems, pretty cool though
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 12-19-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I just wanted to admit that Bad Witch actually grew on me in a The Fragile and Ghosts I-IV kind of way, which is a very good thing for me.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Guys, is anyone a member of Mix With The Masters?

Because we have a total mix and track breakdown, by Atticus, on there https://mixwiththemasters.com/itt16

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This was posted somewhere else here. Specifically that, if anyone WAS a member and chose to rip/share this breakdown, they might be a considered a dick for some reason.

I disagree and would like to see/hear what Atticus has to say. Both because I dig the track and also because I want to hear Atticus speak more.

He sounds like a Bond villain's tech guy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    @sheepdean @paul_guyet Yeah, it got discussed in the 2018 NIN spotting thread (on the last two pages).
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 01-06-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    @sheepdean @paul_guyet Yeah, it got discussed in the 2018 NIN spotting thread (on the last two pages).
    NIN spotting is for discussion again? :P

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    NIN spotting is for discussion again? :P
    Yes, the initial spotting sparked a discussion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    This was posted somewhere else here. Specifically that, if anyone WAS a member and chose to rip/share this breakdown, they might be a considered a dick for some reason.
    No consideration to take into account with an anonymous link..

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    No consideration to take into account with an anonymous link..
    I would not consider anyone a dick for sharing it

Cough.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

On a scale of 1 to dick, I think bootlegging super expensive paid content for a few niche fans to access is much lower on the scale than say, I don’t know, maybe, publically outing the anonymity of the most famous member of a message board that they’re the subject of for some unknown reason. That’s just me tho.

Cough. Cough.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    On a scale of 1 to dick, I think bootlegging super expensive paid content for a few niche fans to access is much lower on the scale then say, I don’t know, maybe, publically outing the anonymity of the most famous member of a message board that they’re the subject of for some unknown reason. That’s just me tho.

Cough. Cough.
    It only lets me click "like" once on that post.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    1 to dick
    new favorite metric

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Bad Witch feels like a whole new style or genre of music to me, defying easy classification.

I’d like to do a little genealogy here, and feel free to contribute.

So TR has admitted that he and Atticus were inspired by Blackstar. In God Break Down the Door, it’s clear from the beats, the sax, the vocals that this informed the record. It’s not a rip off, it’s derivative enough, but the influence is unmistakable.

Well, let’s go back to Blackstar. Tony Visconti said he and David were listening to a lot of Kendrick Lamar’s album To Pimp a Butterfly. Go back and listen to it. There are defintely influences there. Not lyrically as much as musically. A distinct part of that influence is the sax.

Well who played the sax on To Pimp a Butterfly? None other than modern jazz great Kamasi Washington.

Kamasi Washington’s The Epic is a clear influence on To Pimp a Butterfly and he’s literally on some of the tracks.

So what’s my point? This isn’t “I think I hear the influence of ____ in this song”, this is a real, proven network of inspiration. I just love this. Musical geniuses inspiring other. Everything is derivative. Give credit where credit is due. Trace is back past Kamasi and where does it go? Some 70’s artists I don’t know enough about... maybe others?

It’s cool to go back and listen to each of these artists and their landmark albums and hear the connections. See what they bring that is unique.

I don’t know, I just love music. Don’t let anyone tell you great, deep, innovative music isn’t still being made.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yes, To Pimp a Butterfly was a seismic event... and Kamasi Washington has an ENORMOUS list of influences, across the whole history of 20th century music.

A lot of the music I discovered and still love to this day (including Bowie) started with checking out TR's recommendations, and following the bread-crumb trail back into their influences, and so on. If you want to go down the saxophone rabbit hole, get into John Coltrane... I believe Washington has repeatedly cited Transition as one of his most influential albums.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes, To Pimp a Butterfly was a seismic event... and Kamasi Washington has an ENORMOUS list of influences, across the whole history of 20th century music.

A lot of the music I discovered and still love to this day (including Bowie) started with checking out TR's recommendations, and following the bread-crumb trail back into their influences, and so on. If you want to go down the saxophone rabbit hole, get into John Coltrane... I believe Washington has repeatedly cited Transition as one of his most influential albums.
    That’s cool. Thanks for that tip. I agree - chase the influences. When I look back I realized that I listen to Bowie, Saul Williams, Kamasi, Joy Division and taking heads all becaus at some point Trent pointed us in that direction.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

"friends if you call" ?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Friends with your claw?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I hear "fickle friends fickle".

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Just listened to We’re In This Together & Play The Goddamned Part back to back and realized they share a very similar 4-note decending motif.
    WITT: at around 0:45 - 0:55. Guitars
    PTGP: repeatedly after 0:10-0:40 Sax
    And they obviously play again throughout both songs again in other places. Do my ears deceive me? Give it a listen!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Just listened to We’re In This Together & Play The Goddamned Part back to back and realized they share a very similar 4-note decending motif.
    WITT: at around 0:45 - 0:55. Guitars
    PTGP: repeatedly after 0:10-0:40 Sax
    And they obviously play again throughout both songs again in other places. Do my ears deceive me? Give it a listen!
    You might want to take this post here