Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Trilogy (NTAE, Add violence, Bad Witch) playing order/theories

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I know most people say it's 3 EP, but I do say it's 3 EP too.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent watched Neil Degrasse's: Is the Universe a Simulation debate ( ) and was just like... you know what, these guys can't even agree on anything so I'm just gonna say f*** it and not give a shit anymore!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The edited version of TBW (cut it off at 4:04) goes really nicely into GBDTD. Just in case anyone thinks both TBW and OAO are both perfect closers and need to choose.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I’ve just had all three on shuffle the last 20 minutes. So far each track has really complimented the other quite nicely. The last two tracks I listened to were “Play the Goddamned Part” and “This Isn’t the Place.” The transition between both the tracks and the mood was perfect.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    “She’s Gone Away” transitions incredibly well with “I’m Not From This World.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm listening the trilogy in the temporary order: NTAE-AV-BW. For me, the last seven minutes of The Background World connect perfectly with Shit Mirror. I'll try to listen in the orders all you're posting.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Just sat down and listened to my order in its entirety. Holy fucking shit. Now that was a sonic journey if ever there was one. Despite my late night/early morning rambling, I'm still confident in my order and why it works the way that it does.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    The edited version of TBW (cut it off at 4:04) goes really nicely into GBDTD. Just in case anyone thinks both TBW and OAO are both perfect closers and need to choose.
    I'm kinda pleased people are doing this, I hadn't seen anyone try it yet when I made my post, so it's interesting to see it as a serious idea and not some random mad experiment if mine.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    My take. Of course, this is all just for fun, and I'm perfectly listening to them in their intended order.

1. Branches/Bones
    2. Less Than
    3. Ahead of Ourselves
    4. Not Anymore
    5. Dear World,
    6. Shit Mirror
    7. The Idea Of You
    8. The Lovers
    9. She's Gone Away
    10. Play The Goddamned Part
    11. God Break Down The Door
    12. Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
    13. This Isn't The Place
    14. I'm Not From This World
    15. Over and Out
    16. The Background World

For me, I always like albums starting out strong. Faster heavier songs to kick it off. Branches/Bones was already a good opener to this whole trilogy, didn't wanna take it out from that spot. Also liked the "Can't Seem to Wake Up -> Everyone Seems To Be Asleep" factor of Not Anymore into Dear World.

The Lovers kicks off the middle section, where the moody, more experimental stuff comes to play. I definitely did not want to break up PTGP into GBDTD. That was already perfect to me, as was I'm Not From This World & Over and Out.

I originally wanted to put This Isn't The Place in the "Hurt slot", but Background World was always going to be the closer. Whether or not you cut out the loop. That song is perfection. So I moved it back a few spots. Really loved how epic Burning Bright fed into it anyway.

So far, I've only heard 5 of these songs live, and I want to hear the rest of them. Especially Background World.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I never listened to TBW without the loop and now I wonder how it would feel without it. Certainly completely different. That's weird.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I never listened to TBW without the loop and now I wonder how it would feel without it. Certainly completely different. That's weird.
    The only time I listen to the edit is when it's as part of the whole trilogy; if I'm listening to ADD VIOLENCE on it's own (or even just the single track), I always listen to it in full.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Where does one find the edited version?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    You have to make it yourself, it's not an official release. I imported the .wav into audacity, cut it off at the 4:04 mark, and exported it in the same quality is was imported in. Converted to mp3 after the fact. Any digital audio workstation should be able to do it, really.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The trilogy is complete over here. Dope running order too:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Just a thought I had this morning, but each EP essentially has one song that low-key gives it all away right up front face value.

NTAE: The Idea Of You (Life is delusion)
    Add Violence: The Background World (Life is simulation)
    Bad Witch: Ahead of Ourselves (Life is an accident)

Who knows, maybe that's been a given this entire time but I just discovered it so, whatever, man.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Title: I Can't Seem To Wake Up

Tracklist:

1. Less Than
    2. The Lovers
    3. This Isn't The Place
    4. Dear World,
    5. The Background World
    6. Branches/Bones
    7. Shit Mirror
    8. Ahead Of Ourselves
    9. Play The Goddamned Part
    10. God Break Down The Door
    11. She's Gone Away
    12. The Idea of You
    13. Not Anymore
    14. I'm Not From This World
    15. Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
    16. Over and Out

Why? Starts out with the peaceful, calm but eerie vibes of Add Violence (and Dear World,) then enters into the dirty/pissed off rapid pace songs off of NTAE and BW. Then it goes deep in the weirdness/confusion of BW before becoming crushing and eerie once again with tracks from NTAE and Not Anymore, interlude if you would (I'm Not From This World) before coming to the powerful explosion that is Burning Bright and comes to the final solution (or non-solution) of Over and Out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I'm kinda pleased people are doing this, I hadn't seen anyone try it yet when I made my post, so it's interesting to see it as a serious idea and not some random mad experiment if mine.
    I may have posted this in the (not all that) controversial NIN opinions thread, but: while I think the full ending of TBW is interesting and challenging and unique, I really only needed to hear it once. There are better things to do with 7 minutes on a Nine Inch Nails album.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The order I've been listening in:

Branches/Bones
    Dear World
    Less Than
    Ahead of Ourselves
    She's Gone Away
    This Isn't The Place
    God Break Down The Door
    Play The Goddamned Part
    The Background World
    Shit Mirror
    The Idea Of You
    The Lovers
    Not Anymore
    Burning Bright (Fields on Fire)
    I'm Not From This World
    Over and Out
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 06-22-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    The trilogy is complete over here. Dope running order too:
    I wish that NTAE sleeve came black and not white, I like that look more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    How convenient that all 3 eps are just under 80 minutes when combined...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I did a provisional one, might change something later.

Branches/Bones
    Dear World,
    Shit Mirror
    The Lovers
    This Isn't The Place
    She's Gone Away
    Play The Goddamned Part
    God Break Down The Door
    The Idea of You
    The Background World
    Ahead of Ourselves
    Less Than
    I'm Not From This World
    Burning Bright
    Not Anymore
    Over and Out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Not sure about all music players, but in iTunes, I went into song info > options, and set the end time for 4:04, which then syncs that way to my phone. This way you get the shorter track without having to actually edit the song in another app. Segues great into Shit Mirror that way.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Okay, so I personally don't think the 3 EPs work as a single album, since all three releases sound different from each other. But alas, I couldn't sleep last night so I played around with a few variations just for the fun of it. This one I think ended up working out the best. And the 2nd half of Background World is 100% intended to be included and listened to as part of the album's "sonic experience", if you will.

Branches/Bones
    Shit Mirror
    Ahead of Ourselves
    Dear World,
    Less Than
    Not Anymore
    The Idea of You
    She's Gone Away
    The Lovers
    This Isn't The Place
    Play The Goddamned Part
    God Break Down The Door
    The Background World
    I'm Not From This World
    Burning Bright
    Over and Out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, y'all know how TR has been talking about DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, pink floyd, and conspiracy theories, where as a teenage fan, he was certain they meant to do that.

Well, since AV came out, I was reminded of the theory from RADIOHEAD fans. If you've been following TR for a while, you might notice he often compares his work to RADIOHEAD, as both a fan and competitors.

First, I think overall, we are getting EPs instead of records in 2016-18, because of the sudden drop from #1 by THE FRAGILE, after which, RADIOHEAD released their most challenging work, up to that point, as two separate albums, both sold well. TR has said in interview he wishes he had done the same.

So, as a music nerd, he's probably aware of the fan theory around OK COMPUTER and IN RAINBOWS. When those were released, fan noticed a pattern, and started putting the two together, with the first track of OKC followed by the first track of IN RAINBOWS, Track two of OKC, then Track two INR. So since AV I've been blending the EPs as such.

So it's like this,

BRANCHES/BONES
    LESS THAN
    SHIT MIRROR
    DEAR WORLD
    THE LOVERS
    AHEAD OF OURSELVES
    SHE'S GONE AWAY
    THIS ISN'T THE PLACE
    PLAY THE GODDAMED PART
    IDEA OF YOU
    NOT ANYMORE
    GOD BREAK DOWN THE DOOR
    BURNING BRIGHT (FIELD ON FIRE)
    THE BACKGROUND WORLD
    I'M NOT FROM THIS WORLD
    OVER AND OUT

I know BAD WITCH having 6 tracks kinda fucks this up, but listening to it, I put the two last BW tracks together because it works thematically. The story as I see it here, TR lives his life, sets himself on fire, and travels in the afterlife, where he can see different parts of his life, memories, all at once, at the same time, kind of like at the end of 2001 A SPACE ODESSY.

Didn't see this mentioned and it's been on my mind for the better part of a year.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I may have posted this in the (not all that) controversial NIN opinions thread, but: while I think the full ending of TBW is interesting and challenging and unique, I really only needed to hear it once. There are better things to do with 7 minutes on a Nine Inch Nails album.
    I disagree, it's part of the track, it has a different feel to it every time. Not to be listened often but it has something to it. Like an ambient track.

@Steven I really like the idea but would order it differently, like keeping the PTGP+GBDTD pair

@rboggs Fairly logical idea but it seems to work very well, gonna try that later
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 06-23-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    for me Over and Out feels like the surrender to insanity. bells already ringing.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Lots of theories running through my head.
    Been listening to this mix of all the eps and figured I’d share.

01 The Background World
    02 Ahead of Ourselves
    03 Branches/Bones
    04 Dear World
    05 Less Than
    06 The Lovers
    07 Shit Mirror
    08 She’s Gone Away
    09 God Break Down the Door
    10 I’m Not From This World
    11 The Idea of You
    12 Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
    13 Play the Goddamn Part
    14 This Isn’t the Place
    15 Not Anymore
    16 Over and Out

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist...l.u-j4ksaY83yj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Listening to all three in order I am left with one question/theory.

The “whisper voice” that is prominent on NTAE and AV (such as Dear World, The Idea Of You, The Lovers), the conflicting feelings/self talk/questioning, and the idea of being “asleep” alll seem to be gone on BW. In their place, we have a new voice (seen on God Break Down The Door and Over And Out) on BW. BW seems to leave behind all the questioning, ambiguity, and confusion of the first two acts.

I see two answers/theories for this. 1) The whisper voice was part of the sci-fi explanation/ending that was changed. 2) The Background World is the integration/destruction of the simulation. Bad Witch leaves us with something integrated and new. Gone is the questioning if everyone is asleep. The simulation has either been destroyed or integrated within the main character to the point where they no longer notice it. The real world equivalent of our acceptance of how social media and technology have changed/corrupted our view of the world. The new voice is this integrated/corrupted perspective.

With this, I think all three have to be played in order. The Background World destroys a part of the narrative and all of Bad Witch occurs after that destruction.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Listened for the first time to all three (in order) on speakers, amazing. The highlights were The Lovers, The Background World (goosebumps, this track is incredible), and final two minutes of Over and Out (the only time I touched remote to make it louder, then even louder, then much louder). For now I don't care very much about the 1st half of Bad Witch, but I didn't for God Break Down The Door neither, so that will probably change later. So the best one is Add Violence obviously. ;-) Will do the same tonite on headphones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I tried the below with the rules being that it has to start with Branches/Bones, end with Over and Out and no track from each EP can break it's original order. Tracks that flow into one another had to stay together too which left me ultimately with this:

BRANCHES/BONES
    DEAR WORLD
    LESS THAN
    THE LOVERS
    SHIT MIRROR
    AHEAD OF OURSELVES
    SHE'S GONE AWAY
    THIS ISN'T THE PLACE
    NOT ANYMORE
    THE IDEA OF YOU
    PLAY THE GODDAMED PART

BURNING BRIGHT (FIELD ON FIRE)
    GOD BREAK DOWN THE DOOR
    I'M NOT FROM THIS WORLD
    THE BACKGROUND WORLD
    OVER AND OUT

I just like the flow of it. I pretend the trilogy tells of three related events that are all happening simultaneously but in different realities so the above is a bit like a TV programme bouncing around between characters.
    Because just listening to music isn't enough these days!