Page 73 of 135 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Seconded. It's the only one I listen to. It's the one I grew up with.
    It was my first Manson album too, but being old doesn't make it good.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Well, it's actually the only one I ever really got into.
    I didn't run out and buy Antichrist Superstar, and there was the Trez feud, and that was just it for me

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I don’t listen to Manson at all, but I have a vivid memory of seeing “Smells Like Children” at the front of a record store when I was a kid and it creeped the hell out of me.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I always felt that it has a certain DYI "garage band" charm to it (with it's use of cheap Halloween decoration sound fx and so on).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ACSS will always be my favorite, but POAAF is a close second.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Re: the MM and TR fued- I didn’t even know there was one until mid 2000’s sometime, when I started to spend more time on the ole www.internet. This post isn’t directed towards anyone, but I REALLY hope this wasn’t an influence to people and their opinion of MM and his newer or post Reznor stuff.

There’s hits and misses by both camps regarding musical quality compared to the early, “glory” days. Can only speak for myself but I love the early raw stuff from big bands like MM (POAA), Metallica (Kill Em All), Motley Crue (Too Fast Cor Love), Iron Maiden (same title) etc.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwinterskies View Post
    I always felt that it has a certain DYI "garage band" charm to it (with it's use of cheap Halloween decoration sound fx and so on).
    That's one of the main reasons I like it. It shows creativity with limited resources. It's not some major-label-backed, overproduced crap where it took a dozen people to write/produce one song. It was a bunch of scrappy people who wanted to make music and didn't have much money with which to do it, and they made a legitimately good (and often times, creepy) album.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I don’t listen to Manson at all, but I have a vivid memory of seeing “Smells Like Children” at the front of a record store when I was a kid and it creeped the hell out of me.
    As I was reading this post, my first thought was this was going to be one of those "I don't listen to// But when I do..." meme posts. I'm disappointed it wasn't lol

Last edited by ManBurning; 03-13-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    That's one of the main reasons I like it. It shows creativity with limited resources. It's not some major-label-backed, overproduced crap where it took a dozen people to write/produce one song. It was a bunch of scrappy people who wanted to make music and didn't have much money with which to do it, and they made a legitimately good (and often times, creepy) album.
    Hey, he got his lunchbox and he's armed real well...

(I like M.I.A.'s first album for the same sorts of reasons)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Portrait is hokey/fun Halloween Schlock rock. Acs is a pretty damn good album even if it’s too self serious... Mechanical Animals is hokey cute glam pop with a couple great tracks. Nothing else from him interests me beyond irritating the shit out of me

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    As I was reading this post, my first thought was this was going to be one of those "I don't listen to// But when I do..." meme posts. I'm disappointed it wasn't lol

lol. I do enjoy the Sweet Dreams cover, though. And I have a guilty pleasure for the remake of House on Haunted Hill.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Portrait is hokey/fun Halloween Schlock rock. Acs is a pretty damn good album even if it’s too self serious... Mechanical Animals is hokey cute glam pop with a couple great tracks. Nothing else from him interests me beyond irritating the shit out of me
    Agree with all of this. The first 3 records are solid as fuck. I would even go as far as including Holy Wood, but that's just my personal preference.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Agree with all of this. The first 3 records are solid as fuck. I would even go as far as including Holy Wood, but that's just my personal preference.
    I'd add The Pale Emperor as the one outlier of his discography as it has no business being anywhere near as good as it is. Give me the first 4 records + that and call it a day.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'd add The Pale Emperor as the one outlier of his discography as it has no business being anywhere near as good as it is. Give me the first 4 records + that and call it a day.
    It's shockingly bad how awful the follow-up to that record was... God it was so bad I don't even remember the name of it. What was that record's name? Say10? Lol.

After The "hit" TPE was, I was anticipating good stuff from him then on... guess I should have know better.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's shockingly bad how awful the follow-up to that record was... God it was so bad I don't even remember the name of it. What was that record's name? Say10? Lol.

After The "hit" TPE was, I was anticipating good stuff from him then on... guess I should have know better.
    I believe it's Heaven Upside Down. Super awesome title if you ask me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Agreed. After how good TPE was and the fact that he was continuing to work with Tyler Bates, I couldn't have been more disappointed by how bland and forgettable the follow up was. Guess TPE was just a fluke.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I honestly think The Pale Emperor was Manson being a bit humble and letting somebody else take the reigns after the reception of his few previous albums being luke warm. Then when that was a success he got all cocky again and decided to make an album where he sung about being a horse or something. The trouble is that that was a success too so the next won't be good either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, lot's of hate in here, he's my perspective...

I first heard of Marilyn Manson when he (and band) opened for Nine Inch Nails in '94. I wasn't that impressed with the band at the time, it just was just a mess as far as the show went, but again, I didn't know anything about the band at all. In high school, Anti-Christ Superstar was released and I heard a few mentions about it, but nothing was played on the radio in my city and what's the internet? I wasn't going to spend $20 on album I knew nothing about. Finally, years later, found out Trent Reznor was involved with the album and I kept that little tidbit of info in my brain. Again, sometime went by and I came across a friend's burnt CD of the album, I listened to it in a friend's car. I thought it was good, but my socks weren't blown off, but that was really me...at that time, everything got compared to The Downward Spiral, that a huge mistake. My experience with Manson came to movie soundtracks, which were all the rage in the 90's and early 2000s. I liked most covers I've heard from him. Napster was around at this time, so I downloaded ACS and I liked it and came to appreciate it more, still not like blown away. At this time, I start making more of an effort to listen to his releases, mechanical animals came out, this CD was actually given to me cause my friend hated it. I gave it a listen and I couldn't find a single song that I liked. At this point, I'm a casual listener now. Another friend played me Age of Grotesque, what the fuck? I've pretty much stopped listening to Marilyn Manson.

What brought me back was the Lest We Forget CD release, great covers, a few songs I haven't heard before, and not totally junk. So, when Eat Me, Drink Me came out I went out of my way to listen to this album. Now, I didn't like every song, but damn, finally songs I would listen to everyday (and do). Specifically, If I Was Your Vampire, The Red Carpet Grave, Evidence, You and Me and the Devil makes 3. I don't know why this album is dogged so much, it had some good songs on it. I thought the drumming really stands out on this album, the songs were dark and sexy. I don't know what happened the next few years, I didn't keep up with Manson albums, they just never hit my radar. Finally, The Pale Emperor came out and I listened to pretty close to when it was released (must have been more promotion or something), I thought it was fantastic, probably the first Manson where I didn't skip through songs after the first listen. I can listen to the album all the way through and not want to delete songs forever. With the exception of ACS, I probably gave this albums the most spins. It's a good album to have playing in the background while working or being active.

I guess my phone knew I search for some Manson stuff before cause constantly giving me pre-Say10 release info - hyping me up. When a few music videos were released on Youtube, eh, not that impressed, it wasn't TPE. The album was released, and I heard it in full. Again, not TPE, but it wasn't bad, it was different. The more I listened to it, which I could, cause it didn't have like total shit songs on it like earlier albums. The album is blues-y and can still rock out. I liked songs Say10, Blood Honey, Kill4Me, Heaven Upside Down, and Jesus Crisis. The Jesus Crisis song makes me laugh though, cause I make a product at my job that is a white powder, so I would sing the lyrics as I am pouring up powder into containers.

All I am trying to say, these later albums don't suck as much as you think. Give them a second listen or two. In my opinion, I actually think the albums have gotten better at least the last two I can listen to the whole thing through. Also, the David Bowie cover with Shooter Jennings and Cry Little Sister are pretty great too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Interesting fan theory on how all the triptych songs fit together.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Looks like there is already a new record on the way. Tentatively slated for a late 2019 release.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mar...DW2TS-3G1Oq6v0

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm not a country music fan, but I am a Shooter Jennings fan, and I would like to think that Shooter would be a good influence on the sound of the album. The problem though is that the overall sound and music quality wasn't what brought Heaven Upside Down... down. It was the really, really, really stupid lyrical content. So... I don't know.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Looks like there is already a new record on the way. Tentatively slated for a late 2019 release.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mar...DW2TS-3G1Oq6v0
    I'll listen because its Marilyn Manson but I have zero to no interest in Shooter Jennings.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    New ACSS bootlegs have popped up in Australia! I just ordered a copy of the white vinyl release for $98US shipped.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    New ACSS bootlegs have popped up in Australia! I just ordered a copy of the white vinyl release for $98US shipped.

Sweet! I just got the Mechanical Animals bootleg from last year. Where'd you order this one from?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    a guy from Australia is selling them on the NIN collector group on Facebook

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Bootlegs? He's sitting on a good chunk of money if he represses and manages to release a few variants. I'm sure legalities and such are an issue but it's a no brainer.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yeah I really can't understand why they haven't been reissued. Now is the time. I can't imagine there would be too much legal hurdles, since hot topic has reissued both Antichrist and Portrait within the last day years, and back to black did mechanical animals. All of which are now pretty much just as rare and originals. Holy Wood hasn't been reissued at all.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    In highschool, ICP and Manson were both my #1
    As it was with me at the time, but also with Slipknot. I think one of the reasons why I've still been used to his antics was also just being used to seeing how Violent J and Corey Taylor acted as well. I still see why more is sometimes expected from Marilyn Manson though.

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I did the same thing a few weeks back actually and yeah, it's uhh....it's bad. Went all the way up to Holy Wood because, let's be honest...what's the point in wasting your time with anything afterwards. MA and HW are still pretty great albums overall.
    I'm still clinging on to The Golden Age of Grotesque with the first 4 albums. I just can't let it go. But on the other hand, I still understand and even agree with where you're coming from as I'd still recommend MA and HW way, way, way before TGAOG ever. (As well as way, way, way more too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Re: the MM and TR fued- I didn’t even know there was one until mid 2000’s sometime, when I started to spend more time on the ole www.internet. This post isn’t directed towards anyone, but I REALLY hope this wasn’t an influence to people and their opinion of MM and his newer or post Reznor stuff.

There’s hits and misses by both camps regarding musical quality compared to the early, “glory” days. Can only speak for myself but I love the early raw stuff from big bands like MM (POAA), Metallica (Kill Em All), Motley Crue (Too Fast Cor Love), Iron Maiden (same title) etc.
    In some ways, a little bit of yes and no I'm afraid. What this has taught me is that as good as it is to be open-minded and take the time to consider/accept the opinions of others, sometimes at some point it's still best that you just figure it out on your own. I suppose it worked for me later on, as I ended up satisfied with The High End of Low, The Pale Emperor and Heaven Upside Down as far as post-TGAOG albums go. It's crazy how feuds can also look bigger than they really are on the Internet, because it turns out, most people I've met that were into NIN and MM, or any other case where fall outs and beefs occurred, the majority of them didn't really care that much, which is actually a very good thing, looking back at it now.

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I believe it's Heaven Upside Down. Super awesome title if you ask me.
    Super awesome as The High End of Low?

(But in all seriousness, it reminded me of The High End of Low, with Heaven Upside Down making me picture Heaven unloading everything into Hell, being the high end of that low journey.)

But damn. I'm now also reminded of Eat Me, Drink Me being called Download Me, Delete Me yet again.

@ManBurning - Perhaps this could also seem to be just about right.

In case this image vanishes, it's: I don't always listen to Marilyn Manson... but when I do it's the Triptych.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-22-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Gil Sharone has left the band:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvhggz6DXQw/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Didn't wanna be another hired hand? No way.

Also...there was a guy in the band named Gil Sharone?