Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - Series and Films

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just finished Lower Decks. At first I was worried the series would be too silly, sarcastic, annoying. Ever watch '2 Broke Girls'? I can't stand their non fucking stopped sarcasm and endless one liners.

Beckett is a bit annoying and unbelievable but she fits the story. Also, it's a bit far fetched to have a cat as a member of star fleet...

But the stories were good and the problems they face and solve are good enough to be Star Trek.

Looking forward to Season 2.

Bring on DISCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I very much enjoyed the first episode of season 3 of Discovery. Definitely a good idea to place this season 900 years in the future.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow that was interesting. I was so excited to see what the 3100's would look like. For the sake of not discussing spoilers I wont spoil anything below...

I never anticipated this. A lot of people dislike DISCO but it-is-what-it-is, hate it or love it this is Star Trek and this is fact. You have to admit that 'ST: That Hope is You' and 'SW: A New Hope' have a lot in common; thus far. Like come on lol.

So far S1, S2, S3 have been entirely different stories. Season 3 is unlike any other story ST has ever seen on such a large scale. Sure VOY was incredibly far from home, out in the DELTA and without any federation help... but... 3188?!?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

So far S1, S2, S3 have been entirely different stories. Season 3 is unlike any other story ST has ever seen on such a large scale. Sure VOY was incredibly far from home, out in the DELTA and without any federation help... but... 3188?!?
    I kind of wish that this had been the first episode of Discovery. It could have started off in the 23rd century and with some kind of accident they end up 900 years in the future--all at the start and then they just begin the show from there. While I have enjoyed Discovery, it never really worked as a prequel and shoehorning Michael into Spock's family never worked or felt right.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I started a mission to watch every single TV series and tie-in movies. Creamed through TOS and TAS, and went barrelling through TNG. Now I'm nearing the end of season 5, and it feels like I'm getting nearer to losing a good friend to moving away. There's still DS9 on, so it's a hell of an undertaking, but it'll be worth it. I still love the "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" episode, still holds up all these years later.

Also, ugh to anything Wesley Crusher. It seems one of three things happen every few episodes: Wesley saves the ship, Troi goes crazy, or everyone gets laid...except Geordi.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I kind of wish that this had been the first episode of Discovery. It could have started off in the 23rd century and with some kind of accident they end up 900 years in the future--all at the start and then they just begin the show from there. While I have enjoyed Discovery, it never really worked as a prequel and shoehorning Michael into Spock's family never worked or felt right.
    I agree. I tell my friends they can skip S1 if they want to get caught up quickly. Burnams last words to Spock in S2 are interesting, it's as if her advice helped Spock get along so well with Kirk.

I am speeding through ENTERPRISE and am ending S2 (a series I haven't watched yet) I think S3 and S4 will be interesting with the temporal wars. DISCO S3E1 SPOILER ------ Looks like Book quickly spoke about banning time travel after the temporal wars so I don't expect there to be any connections or cross overs between ENTERPRISE and DISCO, or Daniels. Did Book say "that cost 3 light years" when referring to Burnham using a wormhole for time travel? Whats that about?

DISCO S3E1 SPOILER....... I think it's a cool concept that the federation has fallen apart and is no more. The Burn is something major and new to ST. Changes everything. I suspect S3 will be Burham being a new hope and the last Jedi who will form a team, rebuild the federation etc.... If dilithium is unstable.... maybe spore drives are the future and DISCO has the technology.

Super exciting. I could go on and on. I hope there are less Hollywood fight scenes, I see through what the writers and directors are trying to achieve (new audience and cool fights).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I tell my friends they can skip S1 if they want to get caught up quickly.
    I did really like the mirror-universe episodes from S1. Season 2 was a mess, although Mount was awesome as Pike. Really looking forward to Strange New Worlds.

Season 4 of Discovery is a go.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    I started a mission to watch every single TV series and tie-in movies. Creamed through TOS and TAS, and went barrelling through TNG. Now I'm nearing the end of season 5, and it feels like I'm getting nearer to losing a good friend to moving away. There's still DS9 on, so it's a hell of an undertaking, but it'll be worth it. I still love the "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" episode, still holds up all these years later.

Also, ugh to anything Wesley Crusher. It seems one of three things happen every few episodes: Wesley saves the ship, Troi goes crazy, or everyone gets laid...except Geordi.
    i will defend wesley til the day i die, and not just because i really like wil wheaton in real life.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Grudge the cat doesn't have a thyroid problem. She's a Maine Coon and that's her normal size. I know because when my brother died last year, I took in his Maine Coon, Shadow; and when I pick him up it looks just like what Book looked like with Grudge in his arms.

I want more Grudge.

Also: I liked Wesley Crusher and I'll never apologize for it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Discovery has really found its groove this season. I think that the writers put more thought into plotting out the story-arc through the course of the season. Also, I think that Book and Michael have far more chemistry than Michael and Ash, which always seemed forced to me. This show is much better set far after the events of TNG/DS9/Voy than as a prequel to TOS.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Discovery has really found its groove this season. I think that the writers put more thought into plotting out the story-arc through the course of the season. Also, I think that Book and Michael have far more chemistry than Michael and Ash, which always seemed forced to me. This show is much better set far after the events of TNG/DS9/Voy than as a prequel to TOS.
    Yes, yes and YES. And I like Michael 2.0 so much better too. Tilly's still my girl, though.

Unification III was such a magnificent episode. So many feels... Spock, of course but what had me bawling was the USS Yelchin.

Season 3 is going to be the redemption of Discovery.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Yes, yes and YES. And I like Michael 2.0 so much better too. Tilly's still my girl, though.

Unification III was such a magnificent episode. So many feels... Spock, of course but what had me bawling was the USS Yelchin.

Season 3 is going to be the redemption of Discovery.
    I really liked season one (especially the Mirror Universe arc), and while I felt season two started off good and loved the cast (especially Mount as Pike), it fell off the rails towards the end. This season is definitely a rebound.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is probably my favorite bit of dialog in the nearly 800 episodes and 13 films of Star Trek:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wow, the last episode "Terra Firma, Part 1" was outstanding, the best Discovery has ever been. I'm glad I've stuck with this show, because now it's paying off.

Spoiler: Kind of surprised that this episode spent most of its time back in the mirror universe in the 23rd century. I still don't get how that worked, or what the magic door and the guide smoking the cigar was all about, but I guess that will be explained later. The Mirror Universe episodes from the first season were my favorites, so I'm glad that this episode took place there. Seeing the events that took place before the MU episodes in season 1 makes those earlier episodes retroactively better. Not sure where they are going with this, but I'm really seeing how its concluded next week. Hopefully we will see Lorca make a return.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Last two episodes were great.

Spoiler: Nice way to bring back the Guardian of Forever. I thought that was really cool.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I truly enjoyed season 3 of Discovery and believe the show has finally found its proper place and pace. I‘m really curious how things are going to develop in season 4.

Having said that, the elevator fight in the season finale and everything surrounding it was probably the most ridiculous action scene on Star Trek in a very long time. Entertaining, yes, but I couldn‘t stop laughing throughout it and was relieved when those 10 minutes of the episode were over. Luckily, the other story with Saru was really heartwarming and made up for it.

Spoiler: Not sure yet how I should feel about Michael being promoted to captain. Her being unfit to command a ship was a major plot point throughout the series and I felt that her going rogue and being impulsive (while also sometimes making poor choices) was a refreshing change to the other series where hierarchy and chain of command were only occasionally breached.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we started season 1 of discovery last night. just watched the first episode. it was...fine? lots of actors i like, a lot of crew i like, but something felt off. neville page's redesign of the klingon's for jj's films was fine even though i didn't love it, but he pushed it even further here and now i actively dislike it. even their accents feel off? like it doesn't sound like they're speaking klingon (and they're hard to understand, too). anyway, guess we'll see if sarah can stick with it, otherwise i'll be watching it as a "before bed" show i guess.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    I truly enjoyed season 3 of Discovery and believe the show has finally found its proper place and pace. I‘m really curious how things are going to develop in season 4.

Having said that, the elevator fight in the season finale and everything surrounding it was probably the most ridiculous action scene on Star Trek in a very long time. Entertaining, yes, but I couldn‘t stop laughing throughout it and was relieved when those 10 minutes of the episode were over. Luckily, the other story with Saru was really heartwarming and made up for it.

Spoiler: Not sure yet how I should feel about Michael being promoted to captain. Her being unfit to command a ship was a major plot point throughout the series and I felt that her going rogue and being impulsive (while also sometimes making poor choices) was a refreshing change to the other series where hierarchy and chain of command were only occasionally breached.
    I also really enjoyed season 3. Because of the serialized nature of the show I probably won't go back and rewatch individual episodes anytime soon, but I'd like to rewatch the season once it's available on blue-Ray.

Spoiler: I'm okay with Michael being promoted to captain. She has always been the star of the show, so it makes sense for her to be the captain, instead of commander, with a captain-of-the-season who gets second billing. Also, Vance's explanation for her promotion made sense.

Doug Jones will still be back for season 4.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-09-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New Paramount promo with Mount (Pike) and Peck (Spock) and Beavis and Butthead with Snooki.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Look like Scott Bakula is going to reprise his role as Captain Archer. It looks like it's in the early stages. With time travel, of course, it could be in Discovery, Strange New Worlds or Picard. I'd like of like to see him in Picard, as it would be great to see Bakula and Stewart share screen time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Why Star Trek's new series is such a big deal

Strange New Worlds will follow the Enterprise under Anson Mount's Captain Pike

Imagine the best qualities of Kirk and Picard merged together. Pike is confident and loyal and incredibly determined. He is strong and yet compassionate--both a tactician and a philosopher. He is wise, with a great sense of humor. His presence is both intimidating and impressive, yet he is transparent and humble and takes time to assess the strengths of each officer. Within no time at all once taking control of the Discovery, he knows each bridge officer's name and commands them as a team. You know that he has your back.

Last edited by GulDukat; 02-21-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Galaxy Quest came on last night and it's still one of the best Star Trek movies!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that's crazy, I had not seen this before. The choices are so wild. Tasha Yar was Troi?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

that's crazy, I had not seen this before. The choices are so wild. Tasha Yar was Troi?
    I didn't hear that Yaphet Kotto had died, very sad! RIP. He's one of my favorites in the original Alien film, which is no small feat considering how good everyone in that cast is.

That list is pretty wild - Wesley Snipes as Geordi? Also interesting how some actors don't appear on there at all... no Brent Spiner, Marina Sirtis, or Wil Wheaton.

I wonder if Denise Crosby would have stayed on the show had she been cast as Troi. Would she have felt like she had more to do/played a more significant character?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Sure, Q is coming back on-screen but does he bring flowers this time...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    so I have limited knowledge of the franchise. I can't get into the original series, no matter how hard I try.

The Next Generation, I'd watch here and there as a kid, but never really followed.

I did enjoy the first two recent films, haven't seen the latest one.

However, I freaking LOVE Discovery. I'm on the 7th or so episode of the first season, watching at least one to two episodes daily.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Season 2 promo. 2022

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Hmm, I'm on the fence about seeing Q again but will wait and see how the character is handled. Mainly i think it will be weird to see an older John de Lancie in that role, maybe just his voice would be enough? i dunno. It's just such a different role to me in comparison to all the other older actors that have returned to their characters. For me it's easier to accept older humans and humanoids in Star Trek but Q is neither, so would you really expect to see them as a lifeform that has become visibly older in the same way?

I'm aware that as Q they can take any form though and the appearance of an aged John de Lancie can certainly make sense as a form that Picard would recognize and it humanizes him.

Anyone else wondering how they'll approach Q this time around?
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 04-06-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Hmm, I'm on the fence about seeing Q again but will wait and see how the character is handled. Mainly i think it will be weird to see an older John de Lancie in that role, maybe just his voice would be enough? i dunno. It's just such a different role to me in comparison to all the other older actors that have returned to their characters. For me it's easier to accept older humans and humanoids in Star Trek but Q is neither, so would you really expect to see them as a lifeform that has become visibly older in the same way?

I'm aware that as Q they can take any form though and the appearance of an aged John de Lancie can certainly make sense as a form that Picard would recognize and it humanizes him.

Anyone else wondering how they'll approach Q this time around?
    With the magic of CGI they can make him look as he did in 1987. But I think most fans will get that while Q is immortal, the actor who plays him isn't.