Page 132 of 160 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    You should probably listen to the Song Exploder episode where Trent & Atticus break down the track, because there's a lot more going on in it than what you described. I mean, something like Zero-Sum strikes me as being more repetitive than The Lovers. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that The Lovers feels more dynamic than that.
    Song Exploder helped me give the song another chance and a little more appreciation, but I still find the chorus to be lame and Trent sounds too nasally and whiney.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Seems like a lot of people are down on it so this seems like as good a thread as any to mention that I think The Lovers is the best song on Add Violence. The Background World comes close but the off-balance, delirious seductiveness of The Lovers, the creepy and abstract lyrics married with the dueling tensions of hesitance and longing...it just hits me in the right spot. I find it very beautiful and particularly haunting. The Song Exploder feature on it only deepened that sense for me, and confirmed what a personal song it is for Trent. The fact it got played so often on Cold & Black & Infinite - probably more than any other Add Violence track - further evidences that it's a work he's pretty proud of, at least to me.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Starfuckers, Inc is fucking awesome. Am I alone in this?
    When I consider the fans that aren't on ETS, I'd certainly hope so. (It's happened to me before on forums, seeing reactions and opinions one way or another, but in real life, it's not always the case, and sometimes anything but such, even with NIN.)

But yes. Starfuckers is still by far one of my most favorite songs from The Fragile. Starfuckers and Into The Void are what also got me into The Fragile altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I never understood the hate for it.
    Me neither. I always thought it would've down great by fans that loved Head Like A Hole and Down In It. (I thought Down In It as far as the way the vocals flowed, but even the live version of Down In It packs quite the punch.)

As for the Add Violence, I've actually liked This Isn't The Place more than The Lovers. (As far as comparing the 2 soft/slow songs out of the rest of Add Violence.)

The Background World is still my most favorite song on it though, perhaps followed by Less Than (The catchy parts still won me over.) and Not Anymore very near it. Not Anymore got me to feel some Wish and Ruiner vibes in it as well, as well as Year Zero vibes in general. Since the trilogy has been completed, Add Violence is still my go-to release most of the time whenever I listen to it.

I also forgot to mention that No, You Don't is also one of my most favorite songs from the Right disc as well. I don't know what else to say, aside from how I just even able appreciated the instrumentals on their own.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-30-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I never understood the hate for it.
    Seriously, is this kind of a snobby ETS thing? Song is a banger, and every time Ive seen it live the crowd the crowd loves it.
    Last edited by Krazy; 07-30-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I also forgot to mention that No, You Don't is also one of my most favorite songs from the Right disc as well. I don't know what else to say, aside from how I just even able appreciated the instrumentals on their own.
    I thought No, You Don't was from the left disc.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    People really underrate the stripped down, rawer rock songs (The Collector, Getting Smaller, most of The Slip).

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I miss Trent's high-notes, I know there is nothing much that can be done, but they gave so much power to his aggressive music, With_Teeth is an album I cherish, for a lot of things, one of them being due to Trent's strong, raw vocal performance he has on it, he has never really come close to that level of performance since.
    I miss this too. It bugs me whenever I watch videos from recent shows that Trent sounds so deep nowadays, then I feel like an asshole for blaming him for a totally natural biological process. We gotta get Trent on some estrogen for some All The Love In The World shenanigans

Seriously though, I really do wish for this perfect NIN reality where we could get the high notes of Young Trent, and the overall composed-ness and consistency of Older Trent. Then I wonder why I care so much, especially since it's not like the recordings of Trent's higher voice have disappeared or anything. It's just a weird hang-up I have that prevents me from enjoying the music to the extent that I otherwise could.
    Last edited by KarenLeslie; 08-01-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeslie View Post
    I miss this too. It bugs me whenever I watch videos from recent shows that Trent sounds so deep nowadays, then I feel like an asshole for blaming him for a totally natural biological process. We gotta get Trent on some estrogen for some All The Love In The World shenanigans

Seriously though, I really do wish for this perfect NIN reality where we could get the high notes of Young Trent, and the overall composed-ness and consistency of Older Trent. Then I wonder why I care so much, especially since it's not like the recordings of Trent's higher voice have disappeared or anything. It's just a weird hang-up I have that prevents me from enjoying the music to the extent that I otherwise could.
    During the last tour he managed to get to some high notes that he hasn't been able to sing for maybe more than a decade. Like the "I can try to get away" part of The Becoming.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    During the last tour he managed to get to some high notes that he hasn't been able to sing for maybe more than a decade. Like the "I can try to get away" part of The Becoming.

This actually reminds me; what note is Trent hitting in the verses of Shit Mirror? I don't remember such high notes even in studio, for a long time.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post

His voice sounds really good here! I am praying for some shows at the end of 2019. Or hell, I'll settle for 2020 too.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    His voice sounds really good here! I am praying for some shows at the end of 2019. Or hell, I'll settle for 2020 too.

I'Ll say this entire video is awesome in terms of Trent's performance (and everything else, of course).

It seems like his voice has someone improved recently, I am not sure what it is. The recent records kinda reflect this too
    Last edited by HWB; 08-01-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeslie View Post

OH MY GOD karen! i've missed you!!!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    I thought No, You Don't was from the left disc.
    I somehow forgot and messed up, as I kept thinking about Starfuckers, Inc. while writing that. I also tend to sometimes listen to both songs back-to-back. I can't believe that I did that either, especially as a long-time fan. Whoa. (Yeah, that pretty much sums it up right there.)

Anyway, No, You Don't and Starfuckers, Inc. are still among my most favorite songs from The Fragile altogether. I also always enjoyed hearing Pilgrimage segue into No, You Don't as well. The flow always seemed just right to me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I kind of like Not So Pretty Now. *ducks*

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    I do too. Bring on the stoning!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    I always make sure that after Getting Smaller this song plays afterwards-

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    'Closer' could be better live, its too rushed and under-produced live.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    'Closer' could be better live, its too rushed and under-produced live.
    I love how much of a statement it is on record, but I'd imagine they'd have to make it more 'fun' for them live, though.

Um, my Controversial opinion is: IDNWT is one of the best songs on TDS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know we have a ton of soundtracks to enjoy (and I do), but I also secretly hope for another Ghosts album.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I love how much of a statement it is on record, but I'd imagine they'd have to make it more 'fun' for them live, though.

It is, especially the second part, on par with the best parts of the album. But the "don't you tell me how I feel" always throws me off.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes, that and NIN plays what... 20 songs live? Picking up the tempo on 'Closer' and shortening the end/outro will shave off two minutes and allow for more songs!!

For a while I was really into IDNWT; it's got such a different vibe than any of the other tracks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I dunno how that's controversial. That makes me really sad if people don't like that song. It was one of the songs that immediately grabbed me upon first hearing TDS 25 years ago. It was also one of the easier songs to "edit" the naughty words out on playback since my stereo at the time allowed me to pan the speakers. Oh, to be 13 again lmao.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I would download an entire album worth of Ashley O NIN covers.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    I know we have a ton of soundtracks to enjoy (and I do), but I also secretly hope for another Ghosts album.
    I know this would be anything but another Ghosts, except for being instrumental, but I'd actually love it if the songs to were be more akin to the likes of Driver Down, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man Theme, Appendage and Hello, Everything Is Not OK.

(Or perhaps pretty much like some parts of The Fragile: Deviations 1 in some ways as well, but just all new/non-The Fragile material.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-18-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: N/A

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I know this would be anything but another Ghosts, except for being instrumental, but I'd actually love it if the songs to were be more akin to the likes of Driver Down, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man Theme, Appendage and Hello, Everything Is Not OK.

(Or perhaps pretty much like some parts of The Fragile: Deviations 1 in some ways as well, but just all new/non-The Fragile material.)
    driver down is still one of my favorite pieces of music that trent has ever created. it's so fucking good.​ especially once the saxophone comes in. ungh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hearing Trent pick up the sax again for the trilogy is actually what brought me back here. No joke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Maybe it's been said before but I actually greatly prefer the live arrangement of "1,000,000" from 2013-2018 over the one they played in 2008/2009... not as heavy without the guitar but the synth just makes it sound a bit weirder, in a good way. Same goes for "Sanctified" from that period; preferable to the version from the PHM tours and 1995/1996.

Oh and I miss Pino's bass intro on "March of the Pigs" from 2013... loved the sludgy-ness of it.

Also, semi-related, but I've always thought that "Memorabilia" would make for amazing live show closer... long and meandering with that pulsating beat running throughout, plenty of room for improv, strobe lights, each member walking off stage at the end, reminiscent of "In This Twilight" circa 2008/2009. I've loved all the show closers I've seen but this would be very different than I think anything they've done before ("Head Like a Hole", "Hurt", "Happiness in Slavery", "In This Twilight", etc.)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVirtualMemoryOfficial View Post
    Also, semi-related, but I've always thought that "Memorabilia" would make for amazing live show closer... long and meandering with that pulsating beat running throughout, plenty of room for improv, strobe lights, each member walking off stage at the end, reminiscent of "In This Twilight" circa 2008/2009. I've loved all the show closers I've seen but this would be very different than I think anything they've done before ("Head Like a Hole", "Hurt", "Happiness in Slavery", "In This Twilight", etc.)
    I don't know about closing out the show, but I would absolutely love to see it get performed at some point, precisely because there's a lot that could be done with it in a live setting. Plus, we could finally hear Robin say "What do your nipples look like?" LIVE!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Memorabilia would work very well in the Me I'm Not/The Warning/Vessel/The Great Destroyer style with everyone on synths. Trent also sometimes sings something resembling Memorabilia melody during Survivalism (before the last verse)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    sunspots does nothing for me. i want to find it sexy. i want​ to like it. but i just...don't. and it makes me sad