Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Batman Returns (1992) was the best Batman movie.
    this is probably just me, and it’s ridiculous as I know the films are supposed to be dark, but I didn’t enjoy the relentless grimness of it. It’s like Sin City in that respect in that at the end I just felt shitty and I don’t know how to explain why. It made me feel a bit dirty having watched it (the book American Psycho had that effect on me too, I had to give it to charity, I didn’t want it in the house)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    It's certainly the most creative and best looking Batman movie in terms of set design, costumes, etc.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    It's certainly the most creative and best looking Batman movie in terms of set design, costumes, etc.
    someone i know just got the neon light that selena has in her apartment, and it the "o" and "t" alternate between being on and off "hello there / hell here"

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's certainly the best out of the Burton/Schumacher films. Unfortunately, its tone is also what led to the Schumacher films.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    someone i know just got the neon light that selena has in her apartment, and it the "o" and "t" alternate between being on and off "hello there / hell here"
    This reminds me of a segment in Doom 3 where you enter Bertrugers room and the door entry thing alternates between his name and hellfire

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's certainly the best out of the Burton/Schumacher films. Unfortunately, its tone is also what led to the Schumacher films.
    Is that Batman and Robin? I’ve never seen beyond Batman Returns

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Glad to see some newer appreciation for Batman Returns. It was criminally underrated for the longest time. Out of all the Batman movies, that one and The Dark Knight are my favorite screen adaptations.

@WorzelG, I can get not wanting something around like that... I gave away my copy of the book The Girl Next Door. It wasn't a bad book at all really, it just disturbed the shit out of me, and I didn't like it sitting on my bookshelf, reminding me of all the disturbing stuff in it. That said, I loved the American Psycho book, and was actually looking for my copy recently so I could reread the "music review" chapters.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Is that Batman and Robin? I’ve never seen beyond Batman Returns
    he did batman forever and batman & robin. the former is fun, campy, and has a great soundtrack, though it's still a very flawed film. the latter is a bit too​ campy for my taste, is a fucking mess, and has a decent soundtrack

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Glad to see some newer appreciation for Batman Returns. It was criminally underrated for the longest time. Out of all the Batman movies, that one and The Dark Knight are my favorite screen adaptations.

@WorzelG, I can get not wanting something around like that... I gave away my copy of the book The Girl Next Door. It wasn't a bad book at all really, it just disturbed the shit out of me, and I didn't like it sitting on my bookshelf, reminding me of all the disturbing stuff in it. That said, I loved the American Psycho book, and was actually looking for my copy recently so I could reread the "music review" chapters.
    I think sometimes it’s just random and weird what will disturb me, I’m quite happy playing survival horror games or setting random people on fire in Tomb Raider. When I first watched the film adaptation of Pet Semetary (even though I had read the book and knew the story) I was drunk and blubbered so much when Gage died we had to abandon watching. Also I know the ending of the modern version of The Mist and I have refused to watch it and so has my husband as it just hits too close to home

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    he did batman forever and batman & robin. the former is fun, campy, and has a great soundtrack, though it's still a very flawed film. the latter is a bit too​ campy for my taste, is a fucking mess, and has a decent soundtrack
    Well I have bought all the Batman films from the first to the Dark Knight Returns for my husbands birthday next week. He’s a big Arnie fan and is vascillating between wanting to see Batman and Robin and thinking it is really well left alone!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I have a weak spot for Batman Forever for nostalgic reasons as it was the first Batman movie where I was old enough to go see it in a theatre. I remember I had the sticker album, loved the U2 song and played the video game. I also had the audio version of the movie on cassette, where they exchanged Gotham for New York (because of that statue of liberty crash at the beginning, I suspect).

But: Returns is my favorite Batman movie as well. I can't stand Nolan's movies.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I can't stand Nolan's movies.
    i love "the dark knight" and i understand that it can't exist without "batman begins" (which is good but not great). but god i cannot stand "the dark knight rises".

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Returns is my favorite. It’s so goth, gritty and dark. I love the portrayals in the film and the cast. Penguin might be a crime kingpin but the disgusting half man half sea mammal thing DeVito played was an awesome design.

The Catwoman suit in the film is my favorite suit from any filmed portrayal also.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Why is there such a big competition between the D.C. expanded universe and the Marvel one? It seems to me if you’re into the concept of superheroes you’d probably like a variety of them and find something to enjoy in both universes?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Why is there such a big competition between the D.C. expanded universe and the Marvel one? It seems to me if you’re into the concept of superheroes you’d probably like a variety of them and find something to enjoy in both universes?
    On the surface, you're quite right... but how each of those products are presented does matter. For example, the many versions of Superman and Spider-Man on film that are available... some of these connect with larger crossover audiences well and some very much feel like it's in own thing. No, that doesn't really address the larger expanded universes of each, and for me personally, the DC stuff after Nolan just didn't connect (but I enjoyed most of Wonder Woman). Would I have liked if DC did something more Marvel has done... I'm not sure but I just know what they have done so far hasn't made me want to pay attention.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    On the surface, you're quite right... but how each of those products are presented does matter. For example, the many versions of Superman and Spider-Man on film that are available... some of these connect with larger crossover audiences well and some very much feel like it's in own thing. No, that doesn't really address the larger expanded universes of each, and for me personally, the DC stuff after Nolan just didn't connect (but I enjoyed most of Wonder Woman). Would I have liked if DC did something more Marvel has done... I'm not sure but I just know what they have done so far hasn't made me want to pay attention.
    There seems to me so far to be a much more widespread pool of directors and writers for the Marvel films, rather than majority Zack Snyder - although I haven't watched any of the DCEU films yet, theyre next on the agenda after the MCU - and at one film per weekend it will take a while to get there!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    There seems to me so far to be a much more widespread pool of directors and writers for the Marvel films, rather than majority Zack Snyder - although I haven't watched any of the DCEU films yet, theyre next on the agenda after the MCU - and at one film per weekend it will take a while to get there!
    the only ones i've seen were Wonder Woman (loved it, for the most part) & Birds Of Prey (SUUUUUPER fun...like a live-action looney tune with harley standing in for bugs bunny). i have zero investment in the overall "universe" of DC, but they have some badass women and that makes me so happy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    the only ones i've seen were Wonder Woman (loved it, for the most part) & Birds Of Prey (SUUUUUPER fun...like a live-action looney tune with harley standing in for bugs bunny). i have zero investment in the overall "universe" of DC, but they have some badass women and that makes me so happy.
    i must have seen the trailer for Justice League a million times and the woman who plays Wonder Woman is incredibly hot and seems great in the role, I used to love the Wonder Woman series from the eighties so I am hoping for good things when I get around to it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i must have seen the trailer for Justice League a million times and the woman who plays Wonder Woman is incredibly hot and seems great in the role, I used to love the Wonder Woman series from the eighties so I am hoping for good things when I get around to it.
    yeah i'm looking very forward to WW1984

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    ...eventually.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I agree, but I'm glad that this opinion exists.
    I still haven't seen the full set of Nolan Batman films - I thought Begins was extremely dull and have no interest in seeing more of Bale in the role.
    Give me Batman '66 or '89 anyday. Returns was probably a bit muddled but I love Burton's full-on gothic indulgence (what happened to that eh?).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    For some reason, I decided to get through all of the Resident Evil films. I’d only seen the first two before.

Honestly, I thought the first was the worst. It’s so plodding. At least the others knew when to mindlessly blow shit up to keep your attention (well, maybe not Afterlife).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Witch, Joker, Bladerunner 2049, and Bly Manor are all fucking garbage.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    I thought Begins was extremely dull and have no interest in seeing more of Bale in the role.
    The Dark Knight is perfection. Bale stepped up in the role as Wayne and Batman but the real highlight was Ledger's anarchy obsessed Joker portrayal. Please watch the movie just for that. He steals every scene. I wouldn't blame you if you don't wanna watch The Dark Knight Rises because thats kinda....ehhhhhh. It's not bad but it's not great. it's definitely watchable.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    The Witch, Joker, Bladerunner 2049, and Bly Manor are all fucking garbage.
    those takes are so hot i need an ice pack!

having not seen the witch, joker, or more than 2 episodes of bly manor, i can't comment. but i'm bummed you didn't like BR2049. oh well. :/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    those takes are so hot i need an ice pack!

having not seen the witch, joker, or more than 2 episodes of bly manor, i can't comment. but i'm bummed you didn't like BR2049. oh well. :/
    I'm a nerd and didn't even like the original BR...

Bly isn't the horror I came for, especially after being blown away by season 1 and expecting the same thrill. It mostly turns into a love story drama with stakes I don't care about.

Joker added nothing - excellent performance by The Phoenix as usual, though.

Fuck The Witch, it was so slow and didn't pay off (for me), so I thought it was a waste of my time. I might have even told it to fuck off when it was over.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm posting on behalf of a coworker ad his thoughts on Bill & Ted:
    I do have a gripe about the Future Utopia, too: in the original, the group of floating special people were both men and women, but in this one they are all women.
    Combine that with both children being daughters and they essentially sidelining the title characters in their own movie confirms the "Girl Power!" message that is so ubiquitous in modern art. Like men and boys can never have cool stories to themselves anymore.
    It wasn't loud in this movie, but it was there and it irks me. Why can't boys have role models of their own anymore?
    Uh, because boys have tons of movies that were made just for them? and still are, for that matter?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    The Dark Knight is perfection.
    I'd agree on Ledger's performance. Aside from that and a few other scenes the movie is pretty terrible though - the narrative is silly and pretentious, some ideas are almost offensive, the story is bloated and -as with all his films- Nolan's direction is too on the nose and full of itself. Even technically it's not much more than well made.

But make the themes of your movie create a surface of darkness and seriousness, make it look "cool" and seemingly that's enough to trick so many people into thinking it's a masterpiece. But if you look beneath the surface and start to think about the stuff on display the whole thing falls apart.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I'd agree on Ledger's performance. Aside from that and a few other scenes the movie is pretty terrible though - the narrative is silly and pretentious, some ideas are almost offensive, the story is bloated and -as with all his films- Nolan's direction is too on the nose and full of itself. Even technically it's not much more than well made.

But make the themes of your movie create a surface of darkness and seriousness, make it look "cool" and seemingly that's enough to trick so many people into thinking it's a masterpiece. But if you look beneath the surface and start to think about the stuff on display the whole thing falls apart.
    As far as drama goes for superhero films I think it’s one of the best to date. Of course it had flaws but nothing insulting like some of these movies.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    As far as drama goes for superhero films I think it’s one of the best to date. Of course it had flaws but nothing insulting like some of these movies.
    I think there are quite a few insulting moments. For example when they play reverse-racism with the biggest, baddest looking and -of course- black dude on one of the ferries... the one who finally throws out the remote, just to have some kind of twist.

One could also say it's insulting to the viewer and/or also offensive in general how they try to equate the Joker's nihilistic ramblings about social fragility with real jihadist terrorism.

Then there's the surveillance thing, which shows Batman wiretapping Gotham's citizens, just to lazily resolve that "commentary" with Batman rigging his equipment with self destruction.

I'm not against superhero movies in general, but all of this makes me think, the more serious or "real" or "adult" superhero films try to be, the more problematic/flawless they become. There are very few superhero movies that actually pulled it off. Watchmen comes to mind (albeit flawed in other areas). Chronicle may be another. Unbreakable.