Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Before the Flood (2016)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I received the answer about better quality files on bandstore UK:
    "Unfortunately the MP3 files are the only ones that we have available.

I am sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused."
    Yay...

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    I received the answer about better quality files on bandstore UK:
    "Unfortunately the MP3 files are the only ones that we have available.
    I am sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused."
    Yay...
    As it was clearly printed on the website .... now I guess we can call it a very bad way of selling an album

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the soundcloud link

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    I just think the Mogwai add on was unnecessary and actually detracts from the score. With TR/AR being the main drive behind the soundtrack, perhaps they are disappointed with the lack of cohesion as a result of the collaboration. Unfortunately, I know I am. I listen to Dragon Tattoo / Social Network / Gone Girl on constant rotation - and usually from start to finish. I just don't know if I can enjoy this one in the same way, which is a shame.

An alternative consideration may be that perhaps TR hasn't marketed this because he wants all of the attention to be on new NIN. One can only hope.
    This interview would belie all that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would doubt TR would openly say anything about the project that isn't positive. Besides, public and private opinions can differ, just as personal and professional opinions can.

In any case, all I stated was pure speculation. I don't pretend to know what the man is thinking. That said, my opinion pertaining to the lack of cohesion is just as valid as any other.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    It's just so cliche... "Oh Mogwai did that birth of the atom bomb documentary and Trent and Atticus did the NASA thing. Let's throw them together to make a bland soundtrack about global warming."

EDIT: And after reading Botley's story link, it makes perfect sense as to why this is so cliche. This collaboration was Trent and Atticus' idea. Jesus.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 10-25-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I agree. The TR/AR and Santaolalla tracks truly are beautiful. I just think the Mogwai add on was unnecessary and actually detracts from the score. With TR/AR being the main drive behind the soundtrack, perhaps they are disappointed with the lack of cohesion as a result of the collaboration. Unfortunately, I know I am. I listen to Dragon Tattoo / Social Network / Gone Girl on constant rotation - and usually from start to finish. I just don't know if I can enjoy this one in the same way, which is a shame.

An alternative consideration may be that perhaps TR hasn't marketed this because he wants all of the attention to be on new NIN. One can only hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Mogwai's output over the last fee years has been very bland. I'd argue the same case for Trent and Atticus's music, to a lesser degree. Put them together and it's no surprise that you're getting a dull soundtrack.
    i have no idea what you guys are talking about. i listened to the score without paying any attention to who did which tracks (especially because the MP3 download didn't come with that info, or even with the tracks numbered except IN the track titles ) and it felt perfectly cohesive and extremely compelling. i literally don't even know which tracks mogwai did and i enjoyed the whole score (though Thin Ice Reimagined was probably my favorite).

i listen to gone girl & TGWTDT pretty regularly, but i think this is my new favorite.

also, mogwai's last few albums & EPs have been beautiful and exciting. no, they don't get quite as LOUD as they used to, but their music is still interesting and has a great amount of emotional depth, despite being mostly instrumental.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I haven't heard a lot of Mogwai but their score for "The Returned" was awesome, so hearing that they're on board made me a lot more intrigued to listen to this. Still haven't had the chance to, but hopefully at some point soon.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Shocked to see so many negative comments about Mogwai...

Dust Bowl is one of my favorite tracks. And I have to say I have been diggin the last 3-4 albums they have put out.

Funny enough, minus the GS songs, this album sounds like a Alessandro Cortini album.

Least favorite track is by far "A Minute to Breathe". Feels awkward following Before The Flood.

Lastly, One Perfect Moment (at the 2:20 mark) is ALMOST a direct copy of Music For Airports by Eno. Not a ripoff...but VERY similar.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I forgot to chime in on what I thought of the score after listening to it. I found it quite beautiful, though I'm not sure where it would rank with the other scores they've done, especially since it's not just Trent and Atticus' work. Need to listen to it a few more times to know where I really stand.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Wanting to give it a couple listens, see it in context with the documentary to really form my opinions, but so far I've found myself really hoping Gustavo contributes something to the next NIN record. I was a huge Last of Us fan and found the idea of him working with Trent exciting on paper, but in practice it's even better than I could have guessed. Their styles seemed to blend very well into one another.

I think the big reason why the Mogwai stuff seems so lesser is that it feels like it was made in a separate bubble -- overall this lacks as much of the cohesion as other soundtracks TR&AR have done but I suppose that's to be expected with something featuring three different teams. That said, when it gets more electronic, it tends to shine a bit brighter than when it's more totally ambient and loop-centric.

I don't know how much I'll find myself listening to stuff from this on its own in the future -- I really dabble at best with the score work and most of the time that I consider listening to all of it I think "Why shouldn't I just watch the movie then?" since I like all the Fincher films they've worked on. Social network is still the most everyday listenable of them, Dragon Tattoo is the most stuffed and in turn has some of the best individual selections and Gone Girl is the creepiest and generally most "cinematic" feeling to me, it seems to tap much deeper into narrative through sound than the others. Before the Flood is ... well, exactly what I expected: incredibly sad in a way that's too pretty to turn off. It's not the kind of stuff I can see myself wanting to put on in the background to score my life, I'm sad enough most of the time already, haha.

That said there is some stuff here that I really think shows how much TR&AR have grown together and the work with Gustavo seems to offer a freshness to the formula that I've been wanting for a long time. Gustavo's love of strings really brings out a layer of emotion that I've found lacking in some of their stuff and I've always wanted more of Trent with strings, so, it's pretty perfect to me. I could see myself shelling out for the vinyl just for those songs alone (At Dusk is absolutely beautiful and feels like The Last of Us fell into bed with Dragon Tattoo).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Least favorite track is by far "A Minute to Breathe". Feels awkward following Before The Flood.
    I love the track, but totally agree that the placement seems odd. Better closing track in my opinion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I love the track, but totally agree that the placement seems odd. Better closing track in my opinion.
    Agreed. I think the album is spectacular, especially the TR&AR+GS pieces.

The suite of 8 Billion, One Perfect Moment into A Minute Later is something to behold... Exquisite sad music, slowly building into a sense of hope. The textures in Before The Flood, Between Two Poles and Trembling are stunning - especially the addition of Santaolalla's guitar work. I genuinely think the whole album is fantastic, it would just work better with AMTB maybe as a bonus track rather than as track 2.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    the biggest surprise to me is how much the Mogwai tracks sound like TR+AR compositions, very restrained compared to a lot of their stuff. Not to say its bad, I find it hard to review soundtrack albums on their own merits, mostly because they are to suit a very specific purpose. However this does make soundtracks great to work too and this is up there with Social Network as my favourite one TR+AR have been involved in. Gustavo's guitar and strings really bring a lot as the synth/piano compositions do tend to make the other soundtracks sound a little flat when taken as a whole, so yeah. I think this is the best one yet actually.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I just found more info about a wider digital release:
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...istoric-Global

"The soundtrack is currently available exclusively at Apple and will be available at all digital retailers and streaming services on October 28th."
    Last edited by piggy; 10-25-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Listening to this thing on soundcloud. Some tracks really stand out. Great stuff. I look forward to hearing it in the film.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I can say this, it definitely sounds like Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. As much as I wanna like it, I dunno, I feel like I heard this all before.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Funny enough, minus the GS songs, this album sounds like a Alessandro Cortini album.
    I thought the exact same thing during a few tracks. Maybe it was one in particular, but I can't remember which.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I just found more info about a wider digital release:
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...istoric-Global

"The soundtrack is currently available exclusively at Apple and will be available at all digital retailers and streaming services on October 28th."
    Good thing this info was out there & readily, easily available by reading....Business Wire.

So is it safe to say that this info has been purposefully held back to try & get people to sign up with Apple to get it right away?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing during a few tracks. Maybe it was one in particular, but I can't remember which.
    After The Flood (the last song).
    At first I thought "ah, this must be a TR+AR track and Alessandro must definitely have contributed". But then as the song progressed I started to have doubts, I checked and in fact it was Mogwai. I also get some M83 vibes from the second part of the song.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Good thing this info was out there & readily, easily available by reading....Business Wire.

So is it safe to say that this info has been purposefully held back to try & get people to sign up with Apple to get it right away?
    Yup, I'd say so. Let's give exclusive early download rights to the company that wants to abolish digital downloads.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finally listened to this album late last night. Wanted to write down my first impressions before I start listening endlessly.

-Mogwai material felt entirely consistent w/ everything else, which I wasn't expecting.
    -"Ghost Nets", much to my surprise, was an immediate highlight.
    -I loved how TR and AR essentially covered Gustavo with "Thin Ice Reimagined" which I thought was a beautiful extension & reimagining.
    -"8 Billion" blew me away almost instantly. I was surprised when I went to see which artist it was and it was solely Trent and Atticus. Again, I've only had once full listen of the album, but this track struck me as one of the pair's absolute best.

I'm very excited to dive deeper into this soundtrack. It feels like perfect Fall/Winter music, and will certainly help with the sometimes tough transition between seasons.

Props to Trent and Atticus for reaching outside their comfort zone to find creatively satisfying collaborators. I know they tried a similar scenario with Hesitation Marks, but I'm very happy it worked out this time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Finally listened to this album late last night. Wanted to write down my first impressions before I start listening endlessly.

-Mogwai material felt entirely consistent w/ everything else, which I wasn't expecting.
    -"Ghost Nets", much to my surprise, was an immediate highlight.
    -I loved how TR and AR essentially covered Gustavo with "Thin Ice Reimagined" which I thought was a beautiful extension & reimagining.
    -"8 Billion" blew me away almost instantly. I was surprised when I went to see which artist it was and it was solely Trent and Atticus. Again, I've only had once full listen of the album, but this track struck me as one of the pair's absolute best.

I'm very excited to dive deeper into this soundtrack. It feels like perfect Fall/Winter music, and will certainly help with the sometimes tough transition between seasons.

Props to Trent and Atticus for reaching outside their comfort zone to find creatively satisfying collaborators. I know they tried a similar scenario with Hesitation Marks, but I'm very happy it worked out this time.
    Ditto on the 8 Billion love. The minimal piano goes through my mind a lot and when I listen again to the song I find I've added a note for some reason

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I agree. The TR/AR and Santaolalla tracks truly are beautiful. I just think the Mogwai add on was unnecessary and actually detracts from the score. With TR/AR being the main drive behind the soundtrack, perhaps they are disappointed with the lack of cohesion as a result of the collaboration. Unfortunately, I know I am. I listen to Dragon Tattoo / Social Network / Gone Girl on constant rotation - and usually from start to finish. I just don't know if I can enjoy this one in the same way, which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Listening to this thing on soundcloud. Some tracks really stand out. Great stuff. I look forward to hearing it in the film.
    i'm so confused. weren't you complaining about it the other day? saying it was boring and predictable?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm so confused. weren't you complaining about it the other day? saying it was boring and predictable?
    Ah, I see you and cashpiles haven't met.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I just discovered a Before the Flood CD version at the german Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01M4O...fore+the+flood

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    I just discovered a Before the Flood CD version at the german Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01M4O...fore+the+flood
    By "Reznor Reznor" and two other artists. Don't know if it's legit...

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Well, here's the US listing. Dec. 16 release date on Lakeshore Records.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4O525V

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Social Network was the only soundtrack I "could" listen to (from TR&AR). The others just never seem to fit the right mood to listen to, or lack of motivation, or it didn't stand out enough has "great music to listen to without the actual movie".

I like this one, not much to say beyond that. A Minute to Breathe is not spectacular, but I just keep listening to it "because it's Trent Reznor".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Well, here's the US listing. Dec. 16 release date on Lakeshore Records.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4O525V
    That's good. Thanks to the inavailability of the album outside of the apple universe I held back from buying it digitally. It's good to have the physical release announced right in time before the (rumored) wide release of the digital files tomorrow. Now I will order the CD (and maybe use auto-rip in advance of actually geting it). Looks like there will be a happy end for me to this mess of a record release after all.