Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Broken

Since 2012 will be the 20th anniversary of Broken, who thinks that Trent will release a special remastered edition of the album?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He might, but he also might be sick or remastering by then. It's hard to say. I also know that a lot of time and effort was put into the recording of Broken. This is from NinWiki:

A warning about mono devices appears in the liner notes. Trent Reznor gave the following explanation for this warning:
    "Regarding the warning for 'mono' devices... Without getting too far in detail, a scientific property of sound is its 'phase'. When recording music in stereo, you're supposed to be aware of its phase. If not, certain parts of the sound will disappear when it's played in mono. So, we discovered that by messing around with the phase, we could make elements of the music stand out rather oddly. (remember Q-sound? -it's based on the same type of principle) So...certain songs on 'broken' we mixed out of phase (because we felt like it) BUT... The songs don't sound right on mono devices (like some radios or TVs). Has anyone heard 'happiness in slavery' on the radio? I heard it on KROQ in LA and the snare drum was gone through most of the song. (and yes, it kind of destroys the groove!) So, basically, that's what that means."

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If Broken gets a DE/LE, it needs the movie on physical. Yes, I know we have the download, but a tangible items is always nicer, plus Trent could throw in commentary, anything behind the scenes, that kinda thing.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    If Broken gets a DE/LE, it needs the movie on physical. Yes, I know we have the download, but a tangible items is always nicer, plus Trent could throw in commentary, anything behind the scenes, that kinda thing.
    I'll definitely get behind that.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    After all the grief that Interscope has given him, both during his stay on their label and with The Fragile DE, I wouldn't be surprised if a Broken re-release was pretty far from his mind.

Broken is a strange one too. There's not a whole lot there to expand upon. They could package it with Fixed and the movie, but most of us already have those. Unless Trent or someone else is sitting on some lost songs or some really interesting demos, I can't see a Broken re-release being as exciting as The Downward Spiral/The Fragile re-releases.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think I'd just settle for a 5.1 on that one. No way Universal would put the movie as part of the package. I'm okay with that, I like the idea of it remaining one of those weird things you can only find on the internet. Is it still on YouTube?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Im sure it would be packaged with Fixed if it were to happen.

I'll just leave this here:

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    After all the grief that Interscope has given him, both during his stay on their label and with The Fragile DE, I wouldn't be surprised if a Broken re-release was pretty far from his mind.

Broken is a strange one too. There's not a whole lot there to expand upon. They could package it with Fixed and the movie, but most of us already have those. Unless Trent or someone else is sitting on some lost songs or some really interesting demos, I can't see a Broken re-release being as exciting as The Downward Spiral/The Fragile re-releases.
    Now I'm Nothing is the only original NIN song that has only been performed live, and was written in Broken era. If he's recorded it, it would belong there, so surely for that reason alone it'd be worth it?

And I don't see why the movie couldn't be in the package. Just slap an 18/R/Whatever country code on it, or give it the good old unrated sticker.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I believe he's already stated that Now I'm Nothing was never recorded in the studio. I'm sure there are some remixes that never made the cut. We know of the Butch Vig version of Last that we finally got, and I believe there are some alt versions of Coil's Gave Up remix (Young Americans movie), stands to reason there are others we don't know of. As for the movie, that would be cool but highly unlikely if it's any sort of official release with Interscope involved, I'm sure no record executive or lawyer will let him officially release that.

Also, if they're making prototype merch for it (Rob posted a Broken shirt a while ago to his instagram feed, plus the recent auctions), then perhaps it's something that's in the works.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malechite View Post

I would definitely love for that to happen. I suppose that Broken and Fixed can fit into one CD anyway. (As for yet another "dream release" of mine in mind, I'd love to have it include "The Broken Movie" on DVD. But I suppose the copy of it that I have on my computer should suffice for now. I'm also just glad that Trent has considered doing just that as well. Broken deserves to be placed right up there with Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-15-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I believe he's already stated that Now I'm Nothing was never recorded in the studio.
    See, I thought that too, but I have no source for it whatsoever. It might be a fan rumour, created to explain the lack of release?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    See, I thought that too, but I have no source for it whatsoever. It might be a fan rumour, created to explain the lack of release?
    At this point, I'm sure he could whip out a recording of that song in a matter of hours if he wanted to. The fact that no resemblance of a recording has been hinted at or popped up anywhere makes me think it's never gonna happen. Maybe a re-release of Broken might make he want to, but I can't imagine him actually recording a song from that time in his life. I think he's pretty done with that music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would absolutely love a studio recording of Now Im Nothing!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    It'd be nice but doubt it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelnails95 View Post
    I would absolutely love a studio recording of Now Im Nothing!
    Oh god, this is my number one NIN wish.

To be honest though, I don't think it would have the same effect with a 40 year old TR.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malechite View Post

Unrelated, but I really dug that particular style the website had back then. It seemed as close to a visual counterpart to the music as anything else, to me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    god Fixed is awful.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    god Fixed is awful.
    Ha Ha, my thoughts exactly! The only one single NIN output which I listened to once and never EVER again!

Still got about a thousand copies of it though...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Oh god, this is my number one NIN wish.

To be honest though, I don't think it would have the same effect with a 40 year old TR.
    It sounded great on the NIN|JA tour...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Oh god, this is my number one NIN wish.To be honest though, I don't think it would have the same effect with an almost 47-year-old TR.
    Fixed.

I know I've been out of the NIN loop sometimes but what's a Physical movie? Unless y'all meant the Broken movie gift and in that case nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossva View Post
    Ha Ha, my thoughts exactly! The only one single NIN output which I listened to once and never again!
    When Fixed came out, I listened to a friend's copy once and hated it. But then, many years later, I gave it another chance, and had it on without sitting there consciously listening to it (not paying close attention) and realized, OHMYGODTHISISAWESOME.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-16-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Fixed.

I know I've been out of the NIN loop sometimes but what's a Physical movie? Unless y'all meant the Broken movie gift and in that case nevermind.

When Fixed came out, I listened to a friend's copy once and hated it. But then, many years later, I gave it another chance, and had it on without sitting there consciously listening to it (not paying close attention) and realized, OHMYGODTHISISAWESOME.
    Ok you've inspired me; gonna give it a listen this weekend; it's again the one single halo I've never put on me iPod so will dig it out later

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
    that backwards NIN logo is insulting.
    At least it isn't a tattoo hahahahaha!!

Love the grooving Happiness in Slavery remix on Broken. The rest of it, well, I have to be in the right kind of mood.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Now that's a hilarious NIN experience, and at least you ended up liking Fixed. I actually find that to be one of NIN's best remix albums of the 1990s. I've actually had that happened to me before. I'd think something would be lame or just not my thing, give it a chance then think to myself: Now why on Earth did I bother to avoid this in the first place?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I love Fixed. The coil remix of Gave Up is bananas!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
    that backwards NIN logo is insulting.

LMAO. True.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Broken is one of those albums that I truly love, and I cant put my finger on why.
    It just makes me happy to listen to it, and makes me drive well over the speed limit too.
    Id love to hear a remastered retinkered version.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Was the studio video version of Gave Up ever officially released? I'd take high quality audio of that, please.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I've always listened to Broken via really good headphones. Yeah, I guess I really do wish I had a 5.1 Surround version.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-16-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Was the studio video version of Gave Up ever officially released? I'd take high quality audio of that, please.
    rip it from the Closure DVD. same with the MOTP video performance, "Eraser", "Hurt" and "Wish" live, etc. there's very little tape hiss at all, save for the segue stuff between the videos.