Page 108 of 135 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    Yep, digging this sucker more today. "Once you've inhaled death, everything else is perfume" is a beauty line. I'm usually cautiously optimistic towards the newer stuff, but the caution tape is getting cut.
    I also fondly heard that line. He has a great way with words and analogies. A lot of the lyrical imagery he mustered on ACSS-HW is why I'm a fan.

I just wish he didn't try so hard to make provocative lyrics. It usually falls flat. Minus the performances, the last few albums tanked due to lyric consistency. We Are Chaos has some of the best lyrical strengths since Eat Me, Drink Me aside from the Pale Emperor.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    An absolute shock to see people who thought this was going to suck actually enjoying it, and ones who swore Manson off ages ago still showing up to check out whatever he releases on opening day. I imagine Manson gets a kick out of that sort of thing..

New song is pretty good. Not what I was expecting, which is always nice. He's leaning back into his blues sound from 2015 and it suits him well. That cover painting isn't my thing and I've never been a fan of his watercolors, but he can do it better than I can so who am I to say. The album should be pretty great and that's all that matters. I'm looking forward to it..

These Mansonites on his subreddit complaining about the song like the sky is falling on them are drinking their own kool-aid, as usual. Six months from now when they go back and listen to it a second or third time, their tune will change. Like it always does..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No other band gets me as hype as Manson. Aside from NIN or Tool or something. I dig every album on a different level.. ect ... with that said

I'm VERY happy to hear that apparently he's utilizing his ensemble of talented musicians, especially Juan cause The Mars Volta is just an amazing band.
    Last edited by Dan Drone; 07-31-2020 at 02:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Social media Manson fans are complaining the song is not 'hard' or 'angsty' enough. That in itself is a good sign.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just gave High End Of Low a chance, holy fuck what a boring obnoxious album, I have no idea people's general opinion on it, but it's probably the worst one I've heard thus far from him, I don't think there is anything worth salvaging on it. Sorry to be so negative but it's been a while since an album has annoyed and bored me to this extend.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    The only thing I really like about High End of Low might be "four rusted horses" and especially the acoustic cut from it. Other than that a pretty forgettable record indeed. But apart from the Pale Emperor every new record of his had some great tunes on it but ultimately fell flat.

I dig the new song for what it is, a new direction, a bit more uplifting and somehow catchy. The packaging looks very nice indeed and I like the art print he used for that, some of his paintings are still exciting to me and I'd actually pay for an exhibition near me. Let's see what the rest of the record brings. Having Shooter Jennings on it could turn out interesting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Four Rusted Horses is an interesting one, it is a really cool idea that goes on for like 2 minutes too long, the song doesn't really develop at all to justify it being 5 minutes. But I see a lot of potential in it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    THEOL is actually one of my go-to later period albums. It's maybe two songs too long, but I enjoy the last of Manson and Twiggy's old songwriting chemistry together, and I'd missed that since Holy Wood.

I hated it too when it came out, but now I bop to most of it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    THEOL is inconsistent as hell, and contains some of his worst songs ever, but there are a few gems spread throughout that I think it could make a decent EP with the fat trimmed off. Am I the only one who loves 15?

Here is the 10-track version I have had on my phone for years:

Devour
    Pretty As A ($)
    Four Rusted Horses
    Arma-Goddamn-Mothersdflkjsdfjs
    I Want To Kill You...
    WOW
    We're From America
    I Have To Look Up...
    Into The Fire

Could probably be trimmed even further, but at least this eliminates the worst offenders IMO

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Four Rusted Horses is an interesting one, it is a really cool idea that goes on for like 2 minutes too long, the song doesn't really develop at all to justify it being 5 minutes. But I see a lot of potential in it.
    I agree about it dragging, and I’ve always preferred this demo version by Twiggy. I have no idea if it was meant as a Goon Moon song originally but it’s been an obscure favorite of mine for a long time. Also, got to love the windows movie maker fan lyrics lol

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post

I'm the one guy on the planet who hates Johnny Cash. I don't care about his legend; I don't care about his influence; I despise his music. I don't even care for his "amazing" voice; I think he sounds like shit. All of that being said, I'd throw down for this. His cover of "God's Gonna Cut You Down" was legitimately good and much more enjoyable, to me, than the original. 100% in on this idea.
    Holy fuck balls, I didn't think there was another person out that that shared this view. You are now officially the second guy, lol. Or am I the second guy? Who cares. 100% this. Could not have said it better.
    JC is overrated and I can't stand him.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Manson is at an interesting stage in his career. Personally I would love to see the Marilyn Manson alter ego die and see him release music as Brian Warner. If he went down the Nick Cave route and started doing country blues albums under his real name, I think it would be the best thing for him and extend his career 20 years. Otherwise he will end up going down the KISS road and in 10 years we will be seeing 60 plus year old Manson fitting into his clown makeup singing 'Beautiful People' at some county fair every night to a bunch of teenyboppers and aging rivetheads....That would be a disgrace and to avoid that happening, he needs to pull a Bowie/Ziggy Stardust and kill Marilyn Manson once and for all.........I want that Brian Warner country blues album

Also idgaf about Johnny Cash but I do like the covers other artists have done of his songs (Manson, Nick Cave, etc)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    I agree about it dragging, and I’ve always preferred this demo version by Twiggy. I have no idea if it was meant as a Goon Moon song originally but it’s been an obscure favorite of mine for a long time. Also, got to love the windows movie maker fan lyrics lol

I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of THEOL were originally meant to be Goon Moon songs specially considering that he came back to MM band in 2008 and that album was released in 2009.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I think I've done this before, but I agree that it's an EP.

Devour
    Leave A Scar
    I Have to Look Up Just to See Hell
    Wow
    Four Rusted Horses
    Into the Fire

"We Are Chaos" isn't as good as any of these, but is better than anything I'd cut. So, well done, I guess.
    Personally I thought a lot of the alternate/acoustic versions were way better, and there's a lot of them. My alt. version of the album goes like this:

1. Devour
    2. Leave a Scar
    3. Four Rusted Horses
    4. Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin-Geddon (Alternate version)
    5. Blank And White
    6. Running To The Edge Of The World (Alternate Version)
    7. I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies
    8. WOW
    9. Wight Spider(Alternate version)
    10. I have To Look Up Just To See Hell (Alternate version)
    11. Into The Fire (alternate version)
    12. Fifteen (alternate version)

I gotta see if I can extract the uncensored bit from the lo-fi version of Blank And White that's out there and splice it into a flac for optimal quality or something.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    It's strange (and interesting) how Manson fans can all agree to disagree about what albums of his are the best/worst.

For instance... I was talking to a friend last night, who absolutely loves "We are chaos", says it's the best thing he has released in years and he's actually pumped for Manson again.
    The last record this friend liked was Eat Me, Drink Me. Which, ironically, is the album I HATE the most from Manson. This same friend couldn't stand "The Pale Emperor" which I absolutely love.

Manson fans have such varied opinions on what is considered his "best" and "worst" work. It's kind of fascinating.

For the record, I really enjoy THEOL.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Oof.

At least the art is really good.
    Joking, right? Also, the opening track is called Red Black and Blue?

I don't know, I don't expect an articulate enough message to warrant that "edginess."

Who knows though, I haven't heard anything, so I can't really criticize anything, and dumb song titles are a thing that everyone does.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-31-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Well, I liked it. Seems like the trend of Manson releasing an album I like (HEoL, Pale Emperor) after one I thought sucked (EMDM, BV, whatever that last abomination was called) is gonna continue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just listened to TPE and HUD back to back after enjoying an herbal refreshment. I really enjoy both albums. HUD is a fun album if you can get past the lyrics, you just kind of have to go with it. I also really really like The End. It’s a progressive track, and the little intricacies while listening through headphones really pays off with the climax totally ripping my face off. Overlooked/under-appreciated track in my opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lol, Manson still knows how to trigger people.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graz View Post
    Just listened to TPE and HUD back to back after enjoying an herbal refreshment. I really enjoy both albums. HUD is a fun album if you can get past the lyrics, you just kind of have to go with it. I also really really like The End. It’s a progressive track, and the little intricacies while listening through headphones really pays off with the climax totally ripping my face off. Overlooked/under-appreciated track in my opinion.
    You do realize that's a Doors cover right?

Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of THEOL were originally meant to be Goon Moon songs specially considering that he came back to MM band in 2008 and that album was released in 2009.
    Four Rusted Horses is a Goon Moon song. I forget the title but there's a version of the instrumental floating out there with Jeordie singing and its the same arrangement.

For those interested, I still have all those old leaked "demos" from THEOL when MansonUSA was tanking in Spring 2009. These very demos were a catalyst to the dumpster fire it became. Ah, nostalgia. Was my final semester of senior year in high school.

Unruly Demos

maybeharmfulifswallowed (Leave a Scar)
    The WOW (Wow)
    Four Rusted Horses
    Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon
    Into the Fire
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-01-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    [insert post by Sesquipedalism]
    Brief thread-drift to compliment you on your incredibly well considered posts. If you ever write a blog/article/book on anything music-related, which I think you most definitely have the talent to do with success, please to let the community here know.

I’d read it in a second.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Lol, Manson still knows how to trigger people.

When you are this delusional you can trigger people without even trying and I really doubt Manson was trying that hard for shock value this time.

What I think is more disturbing is how much followers people like this have, comments filled with people agreeing with them and not calling them out on freaks that they are, the like/dislike ratio is also just a head shaker.

I bet they remove comments which call them insane or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    You do realize that's a Doors cover right?
    Yep I’ve listened to the original countless times. I just remember everyone around here shitting on Manson’s version when it was released. I don’t think many gave it a proper chance. Whatever.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graz View Post
    Yep I’ve listened to the original countless times. I just remember everyone around here shitting on Manson’s version when it was released. I don’t think many gave it a proper chance. Whatever.
    Bingo.

If Trent came out and vouched for Manson's last decade and said THEOL, Born Villain and Heaven Upside Down were huge influences when he was writing Hes Marks and the EP trilogy, the general attitude towards those albums would shift dramatically..

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Incredibly late to this, but a friend just introduced me to the Shooter Jennings Cat People cover and I don't know how I missed it, it's amazing!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I would totally subscribe to that channel if they'd analyzed every Manson video like that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Bingo.

If Trent came out and vouched for Manson's last decade and said THEOL, Born Villain and Heaven Upside Down were huge influences when he was writing Hes Marks and the EP trilogy, the general attitude towards those albums would shift dramatically..
    Do you really think Trent would ever be influenced by any of these albums lol. They're not good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I assume, aside from your random trolls, most of the people who didn't give it a proper chance wouldn't waste the energy posting about it. I truly despised it. As a big fan of The Doors, I know I'm predisposed to be extra dubious about covers of them, but I really felt like it failed. I'm glad it worked for you, though.

I thought their cover of "Five to One," though straightforward, was a great update. Fun. And the recent "God's Gonna Cut You Down" and "Stigmata" were better than a lot of the recent original songs. But "The End" feels...like a commissioned piece. Kinda without heart. This was my original response to it.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I’m sorry if I somehow offended you or anyone else. Calling me a troll was completely unnecessary though. I’m just a fan and sometimes I get irked when I see people shitting on music of any band I enjoy. Hope you all enjoy the new record. Peace out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry I misinterpreted your post, my bad, thought you were targeting me. No worries. Anyway, here’s the thing about Born Villain (not trolling I swear). I think this album was made to be listened to in an elevated state. It has this experimental dance-rock thing going on that just has a great groove throughout. Kinda like MM crossed with LCD Soundsystem or something. I’m not saying you have to be lit to enjoy it, but it seems that way for me.
    Last edited by Graz; 08-01-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I had the opposite reaction. If I'm "lit" while listening to Born Villain, I find it incredibly boring and tedious to sit through. The recordings sound flat and lifeless. I love Twiggy but his guitar playing is just average. He can play rhythm but all of his lead stuff is uninteresting noodling. The performances on every track feel half-assed. The vocals and lyrics are the same cliche, play-on-words, "look how clever I am" bullshit he's been doing since Golden Age (also the EXTREME repetition of phrases is so ridiculously lazy!). Born Villain should have been shelved or given away as a demo. I can mostly look past the worst aspects of the post-Manson as a band records but Born Villain... is so fucking cringe! Believe me I have tried so many times to listen with a open mind. I can't make it past "Pistol Whip" without feeling embarrassed. I will never understand how so many of Manson's fanbase loathes Eat Me, Drink Me while praising BV. EMDM is a campy Halloween version of Mechanical Animals. Born Villain is pure trash.

I also miss when Marilyn Manson was a band and not just a person.