Page 126 of 181 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 176 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,780 of 5427

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

today, my parents and our friend alex helped my wife and i move all my records (and associated furniture) & stereo/tv (and associated furniture) into our new place (which is only three blocks from our old place). we got to meet our neighbors on the top floor (a couple with two adorable kids) and the guy on the floor above us (and his dog Caboose, pictured here with my mom).

things went really well today, other than the power not being on in our new place yet. even with that, i still got everything set up, and i'll be going back tomorrow to file all my records back into their respective pieces of furniture. hopefully the power will be on by then so i can a) have light and b) have music playing.

also, alex & tiff (his fiance) are thinking of looking at a unit in the attached building behind our new place that's for rent, which would be THE BEST because we spend a lot of time with them

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So, I wasn't paying attention earlier today and accidentally sent a gif of a dancing taco to a stranger I sold some furniture to a couple weeks ago, instead of a friend of mine that's obsessed with all things tacos, who I initially meant to send it to. Facebook messenger just happened to have those two threads right beside each other and I wasn't paying attention. Thought I made the BIGGEST ass of myself because I sent it with "Fuck, I didn't wanna send THAT one. Shit." Thinking I was talking to my buddy.

Anyway, I apologized - and now we're going on a date for tacos and margaritas, then a movie at my place.

Dunno how the fuck I did THAT, but she's hella cute and nice, and I am super stoked.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-08-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

this sketch is amazing. i love last week tonight, and especially john oliver, and h. jon benjamin is absolutely perfect in this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    this three-block move has been exhausting. i can't even imagine what it would have been like without movers (who brought probably 65% of our stuff over last friday). we had brought some stuff before then, and have been bringing stuff over since then. i've done most of it since my wife has no upper-body strength (she will attest to that, it's a running joke for us) and i'm just so fucking worn out. at this point, everything is out except our vacuum, a step-ladder, and some cleaning supplies. she's going to go over there after work to clean and finish up, and then we never have to go back there again.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It is official. I am a wizard. Shaun King will be the keynote speaker at my graduation ceremony.

I will likely be sitting on the stage, and at the very least, will get to meet him. He is a personal inspiration and hero to me, so this is goddamn unbelievable.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my new triptych album is out!!!

https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/albu...acred-complete

here's what my amazing friend dan caffrey had to say about it:

For the last decade, Maxwell Shults has recorded a dynamic body of work under the name Everson Poe, exploring everything from doom metal to new wave and even the occasional '50s slow-dance song. No matter the genre, their music has always been characterized by heaviness—not just in sound (although they certainly embody that, too), but in emotion as well. And their latest project, The Body Is Not Sacred is, without question, their most emotionally heavy work to date.

Exploring Maxwell's gender identity and struggle with gender dysphoria, the music embraces duality to convey two distinct halves living in the same being. Maxwell's visceral howl—a sound that many would characterize as being typically "masculine"—contrasts with the softer, ethereal vocals of longtime collaborator DEROSNEC. Both of their faces grace the album cover, embracing gender fluidity and making it hard to tell where one person ends and the other begins.

The duality extends to the arrangements and lyrics as well. On opener "We All Become Our Sins," a crackling spoken-word intro and ghostly wail from DEROSNEC quickly give way to Maxwell's jackhammer drums, guitar, and voice. Likewise, on lead single "No Comfort In The Void," Maxwell screams the phrase "I strive to reject the masculine in all its forms," subverting what listeners and critics have come to expect from even the most emotionally in-tune metal music.

The Body Is Not Sacred has no shortage of ambition. As Everson Poe's first triptych, the self-titled first section contains the four songs that serve as the album's foundation. Part two, The Body Is A Prison, raises the emotional stakes with four hard-hitting instrumentals, and the third and final part, The Body Is An Illusion, consists of "polite" versions of the songs from part one. Softer and more reliant on acoustics, the compositions are what one might call "feminine."

But as The Body Is Not Sacred proves, these kinds of labels mean nothing in the world of Everson Poe. Through their latest and greatest three-part epic, they present a journey where gender is first a puzzle, then a cage, and, finally, nonexistent.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Amazing! Just downloaded the whole thing on Tidal, going to give it a spin tomorrow. You rock so fucking much for pulling this off!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Amazing! Just downloaded the whole thing on Tidal, going to give it a spin tomorrow. You rock so fucking much for pulling this off!
    and here i thought no one would ever use Tidal to listen to my music thanks, dude! excited to hear what you think <3

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    4-0'ed my first pauper event at my FLGS. Been playing the format for close to 9 months and after weeks of 2-2 and 3-1 with my current build, I think I finally learned that its okay to mulligan to 5 in a deck that can put a 5/6 on the board turn three, or can have a 3+ draw advantage by turn 2. The synergy is insane now. MTG nerds know what I'm saying.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i am playing music at the church again tonight.

i'm really stunned that not only do they LET me play music at the church, they REALLY want me to do it.
    keep in mind that i haven't cut my hair in 6 or 7 years, have 1 inch holes in my ear lobes and 1/4" holes in my conches, am fairly open about my support for things like gay rights, and live in one of the most conservative places imaginable: a tiny town in the texas panhandle.

This shit gives me hope for humanity, seriously, that these people are not only nice to me, but that they keep asking me to play

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i am playing music at the church again tonight.

i'm really stunned that not only do they LET me play music at the church, they REALLY want me to do it.
    keep in mind that i haven't cut my hair in 6 or 7 years, have 1 inch holes in my ear lobes and 1/4" holes in my conches, am fairly open about my support for things like gay rights, and live in one of the most conservative places imaginable: a tiny town in the texas panhandle.

This shit gives me hope for humanity, seriously, that these people are not only nice to me, but that they keep asking me to play
    that's really awesome dude. out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play for them? is it gospel music?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    that's really awesome dude. out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play for them? is it gospel music?
    I played the chords to some christian rock song while they did communion, and then I played just like a pretty instrumental thing I wrote several years ago during the sermon.
    Just pretty acoustic stuff, you know?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I played the chords to some christian rock song while they did communion, and then I played just like a pretty instrumental thing I wrote several years ago during the sermon.
    Just pretty acoustic stuff, you know?
    Oh wow, that's cool that you get to perform some of your own work publicly. Nice to have an audience.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Oh wow, that's cool that you get to perform some of your own work publicly. Nice to have an audience.
    man, no doubt. Especially in this little town! HAha, if I were younger, I would sneak Help Me I Am In Hell in there.

The only thing that kind of sucks about this is that now they expect me to do it next week, and the week after that, forever, until I die. :/

But it probably wouldn't hurt me any and for more than one reason.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-16-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Went to register my car today. First time ever doing that kinda thing by myself, so I was expecting to pay upwards of $400 - ended up paying $96 and was able to reuse my old plate! So not only did I save a shitload, but now that frees up another $300 cushion for me to fall back on for my road trip to see Tricky play a sold out show in Denver tomorrow. YEEEEESSSSS. Time to stock up on a little extra herbal medication.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Went to register my car today. First time ever doing that kinda thing by myself, so I was expecting to pay upwards of $400 - ended up paying $96 and was able to reuse my old plate! So not only did I save a shitload, but now that frees up another $300 cushion for me to fall back on for my road trip to see Tricky play a sold out show in Denver tomorrow. YEEEEESSSSS. Time to stock up on a little extra herbal medication.
    Hell yes!
    That sounds like the hot ticket. Man, I should have planned a trip to Denver for that show. The last time I saw him, Juxtapose was the new album

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    To say i play guitar would be inaccurate but i have in the past and i usually have one kicking around. Today I pretty much learned how to play Dry Hitter by Dopethrone. Not by any stretch a hard song really but still. Even without an amp, it felt good to jam a greasy riff again, as it's been some years since i really even felt like playing anything.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    racist / transphobic trolls getting banned. i wonder if it was agentofchaos/gandugains/whatever the fuck again, but i'm glad he's gone (for now).

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Being able to see a helluva lot more clearly cheers me up.

All thanks to my newest pair of glasses. Woo!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    racist / transphobic trolls getting banned. i wonder if it was agentofchaos/gandugains/whatever the fuck again, but i'm glad he's gone (for now).
    no it was that green dude from last year. i THINK it was green.
    remember the one who got everything he'd ever posted deleted? the one who threatened to come back with his friends or whatever?

it was the kid that was talking shit to the mods via PM and then was like "please don't IP block me bro!"

what i don't understand about such people is that i was having a perfectly reasonable conversation with the kid about opiate withdrawal, wherein he was giving me some good tips. i told him i didn't agree with all that right wing shit and he quit talking about it.

So what I don't understand is: if they can be reasonable one on one, why do they act so batshit crazy in a group?
    I guess it's for attention?
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-15-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Cheers me up that I finally, FINALLY kicked myself to set up things in my new place... including new turntable which was in a box for maybe an year? (yeah, I am unbelievable)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yesterday was one for the books. I woke up early and went to the Phoenix pre-sale, where I spent several hours chatting with really nice people, got an event poster and a slipmat, scored pit tickets for both nights, and rocked out to the two new songs (both outstanding) at the listening station.

When I got home, the doorbell rang. It was Amazon, delivering the definitive versions of Broken and The Downward Spiral on vinyl.

Then my wife and I drove over to our friends' house, where we met their newborn son. I've never seen them happier, which in turn makes me really happy. While my buddy (the dad) was holding him, he took a massive shit, complete with glorious fart/mudslide noises that I had no idea babies were capable of pulling off. It was magnificent.

Then we went to a local bar, where I enjoyed a tasty IPA.

Then we grabbed some Buffalo Wild Wings takeout, went home, and watched Black Panther (really enjoyed it).

I've had worse Saturdays.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Seeing @teitan show up always cheers me up.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    "Suck my entire cock"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Screenshot for posterity and for people to cheer up

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Three thunderstorms in one day. Finally, something to not hate about Texas.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks for the PM teitan. I knew I wasn’t the only one who felt that way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I love that I can wander away from this forum for years, come back and run into a lot of the same people. It's comforting and I realize how much I miss ETS when I'm not on here.

Also, going to a NIN event like the presale is like going to a high school reunion with people you actually like, most of the time.

:Waves at all the usual suspects from the last 13 or so years:

Thank you to all the people who keep this board running. Seriously. I know the old board shat the bed, but the fact that there is some version of the same venue for fans since 2001 is incredible.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)