Page 28 of 60 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2019 - There are still children in detention separated from their parents

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I highly recommend this clip of the episode of Rachel Maddow from this past Friday, June 14th, with Ali Velshi, wherein Ali gives several examples of Trump telling people to break laws or Trump saying he'd break laws, himself.

Trump operates like "There's a NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN, Donald J. Trump, and any laws or judicial decisions before me no longer count because ... Trump!"

Except if anyone actually does what he suggests, their own ass is on the line because, of course, what they'd be doing is actually illegal.

And Trump, as the POTUS, is the Executive, charged with executing the laws of the land (not breaking them).

This is just FUBAR.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Trump openly bragged about tax avoidance and sex assault before being elected. Now that he’s king of the world of course he thinks there’s no consequences for his actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    While we're at it, a hallmark "dog-whistle" we've seen in plain sight, but who knows what's really going on anymore (is he fucking nuts, evil, both?! Is he racist or does he just use racists?!?!?!)... the "unfortunate delay" of the Harriet Tubman twenty dollar bill has predictably rolled out to sound a lot like a marching order from Trump.

Mnuchin is a lying sycophantic coward enabler, and I hope he wakes up screaming every night.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/u...WagMi_AYliHfrw

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Trump openly bragged about tax avoidance and sex assault before being elected. Now that he’s king of the world of course he thinks there’s no consequences for his actions.
    This isn't just about his illegal actions; that's par for the course.

This is about him TELLING OTHER PEOPLE to commit illegal acts. He's so stupid, he seems to believe that his being President immediately voids any prior laws. (And then, of course, if they get into trouble for it, Trump will deny that he had anything to do with it.)

From the above video: Trump urged Native American leaders to (illegally) extract resources from their land.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-17-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Youngest Child Separated From His Family at the Border Was 4 Months Old. He was placed in a foster home in rural Michigan. The American government deported his family to Romania but kept their baby here until he was 9 months old.

His family is Roma and escaped persecution in Romania. The right's claim of being the party of "values" is just a total crock of shit.

Constantin was ultimately the youngest of thousands of children taken from their parents under a policy that was meant to deter families hoping to immigrate to the United States. It began nearly a year before the administration would acknowledge it publicly in May 2018, and the total number of those affected is still unknown. The government still has not told the Mutus why their son was taken from them, and officials from the Department of Homeland Security declined to comment for this story.

In Constantin’s case, it would be months before his parents saw him again. Before then, his father would be sent for psychiatric evaluation in a Texas immigration detention center because he couldn’t stop crying; his mother would be hospitalized with hypertension from stress. Constantin would become attached to a middle-class American family, having spent the majority of his life in their tri-level house on a tree-lined street in rural Michigan, and then be sent home.

Now more than a year and a half old, the baby still can’t walk on his own, and has not spoken.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Oh boy. Can't wait to watch this with the wife when i get home.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    United Nations accuses U.S. of human rights violation

Hung Jury.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Trump 2019 - There are still children in detention separated from their parents

How long til trump comments on this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/u...v-harvard.html

Kyle Kashuv, 18, announced Harvard’s decision on Twitter, posting letters he received from the college — first asking him to explain the comments, and then informing him that it would no longer accept him, citing its serious consideration of “the qualities of maturity and moral character.”
    Unlike some of his classmates who became national figures for starting a youth movement against gun violence, Mr. Kashuv garnered widespread attention as a conservative student in favor of gun rights. He served as the high school outreach director for Turning Point USA, a conservative group with ties to the Trump family. Mr. Kashuv has since stepped down from that position, though he said on Monday his departure was unrelated to the comments that got him into trouble with Harvard.
    My guess is he will tweet about it by tomorrow afternoon. Something like “this kid is tremendous. I met him and he’s not racist at all. Fake news.”

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I just realized that trump has been playing Sympathy for the Devil at campaign rallies.
    This is really, seriously, beyond the pale.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I just realized that trump has been playing Sympathy for the Devil at campaign rallies.
    This is really, seriously, beyond the pale.
    Somebody needs to notify the Rolling Stones. I doubt they’d like that.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Several people I just finished touring with went straight on to that one. Including management-types. I guess I could send a few emails.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/mick-j...-cant-stop-him

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I just can't believe he's playing fucking Sympathy for the Devil.

I saw a commentator or two say "sympathy for the devil would have been more appropriate," or something like that, when the other songs were being played, and I can only figure that trump started playing it like, in defiance or whatever.

But GOOD GOD. I mean, think of the words to that song- the bit about "holding rank while the Blitzkrieg raged;" the shit about making sure Pilate killed jesus, etc.

Does this dumbass know the words? Does he know it's sort of implying that he's literally the Devil in this context, and, a nazi?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    They picked the song to piss people off. It's an obvious troll move, playing on the irony of people calling him the next Hitler, etc. If you're angry, you fell for it. That's exactly the reaction they're going for.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    They picked the song to piss people off. It's an obvious troll move, playing on the irony of people calling him the next Hitler, etc. If you're angry, you fell for it. That's exactly the reaction they're going for.
    I mean, dude, I'm not really ANGRY about it. It's more that it's just sort of sickening.

We're the party of old timey Christian Values. I'm a Nazi. Hail Satan!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I finally figured out who Trump reminds me of, lol!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    They just aren’t hiring the right lawyers

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-cease-desist

“This specifically violates Section 43 of the Lanham Act, as it ‘is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive as to the affiliation, connection, or association of such person with another person’.”

The Lanham Act refers to “the confusion or dilution of a trademark (such as a band or artist name) through its unauthorized use”, Ascap, one of the major publishing groups, explains.

The confusion stoked by politicians’ use of music for political purposes carries over into the question of whether artists can actually do anything about it. Often in the case of campaign rallies held in the type of venues where Trump appears, there will be an overarching license through the major publishing companies that allow for the use of songs, said Gandhar Savur, senior vice-president for legal affairs at Rough Trade Publishing.

“If the venue that is holding a political rally has a ‘performance rights organization’ blanket license in place, such as, for example, through Ascap or BMI, then a politician can get away with having a particular song playing in the background.”

However, if the song becomes a regular soundtrack for a particular politician, that might give the artist, label or publisher, more leverage to stop them.

“This is largely unsettled law, and has definitely come to the forefront with the current administration, but the common way to attack repeated use of a song by a politician is to make a right of publicity claim,” Savur said.

Generally speaking, rights of publicity, under state law, protect individuals from having their likenesses, including their voices, used in connection with a commercial purpose, “which can include exploitative and promotional uses”.

“Artists would argue that the politician is creating a ‘false endorsement’, ie giving the public the false impression that the artist endorses that politician or his or her campaign, by the repeated use of their song and voice,” Savur said.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Wasn't there some totally insane story of Trump trying to sue the Rolling Stones back in maybe the 80s or 90s??

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I just can't believe he's playing fucking Sympathy for the Devil.
    Mick Jagger wrote the song after reading Baudelaire, and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

But none of this matters, because it’s not likely that Trump’s team is choosing music based on lyrics; they’re choosing music based on DEMOGRAPHICS:

White Baby Boomers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...&noredirect=on

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Mick Jagger wrote the song after reading Baudelaire, and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

But none of this matters, because it’s not likely that Trump’s team is choosing music based on lyrics; they’re choosing music based on DEMOGRAPHICS:

White Baby Boomers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...&noredirect=on
    But...but...
    the fucking IMPLICATIONS of the lyrics, are what disturbs me.
    Are they not thinking about that?

I mean, yeah, you're absolutely right about demographics. And, while i'm not aware of the Jimmy Buffett book you mentioned, Master of Margaritaville, i HAVE read certain quotes where Mick said something along the lines of the song being about the Devil sort of being US, and, the evil in human nature.

BUT: the Blitzkrieg part, the Jesus Christ bit, and, you know, "JUST CALL ME LUCIFER:" i'm aware that the song isn't blatantly satanic, and, has a far more nuanced meaning.

BUT, when applied to Trump, well, the LYRICS are, you know...a bit problematic. They fit too well.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Okay, yup, this is the story what I was thinking of, where Trump wanted to sue the Stones back in 89 for failing to play at an event that they had never even agreed to play in the first place, lmao: https://newrepublic.com/minutes/1377...g-stones-1980s

Shit is hilarious. “Fucking sue them, Jack. I want to sue them. It’s their fault we took the loss.”

Honestly, he has the mind of a child.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    It is no longer ironic or hyperbolic (or what the fuck ever) to say that this is wearing fascist earmarks. If I'm being trolled for disliking fascism and failing to accept it, then fuck it, let's call him Hitler. At this point, nothing is fucking hyperbolic. We're in an emergency.

And... The Master and Margarita has nothing to do with Jimmy Buffet... it was written decades before he was born... it's a... am I just missing a joke?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-19-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And, while i'm not aware of the Jimmy Buffett book you mentioned, Master of Margaritaville

Life Got You Down? Time to Read The Master and Margarita; Or, How to Be Happy With Russian Literature

See also.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-19-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    And... The Master and Margarita has nothing to do with Jimmy Buffet... it was written decades before he was born... it's a... am I just missing a joke?
    yes. a really lame joke.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    yes. a really lame joke.
    Ok... sorry, I just don't think I understand what's real anymore.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Ok... sorry, I just don't think I understand what's real anymore.
    I understand. I'm starting to honestly wonder if I've slipped into a fucking alternate dimension, or simulation, or, if I've died, and this is all, like, a hallucination involving time dilation, and I'm actually laying on an operating table in 2015, trying to cross over.

These things would make as much sense, if not more, as what's going on in the world today.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    And here we go, flirting with war with Iran via Twitter...

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    We're all gonna die.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Thanks, I picked up this book on kindle recently cause it was on sale, but I still haven't read it yet. That article really makes me wanna dive in soon though (Lit hub is one of my fav sites btw).