Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Reason Why "Hurt" is a hated track among the fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Reason Why "Hurt" is a hated track among the fans.

Hello again.

I noticed throughout the forum and a lot of NIN fans in the social media, and after a lot of thinking I found why the people hates the song.

THE FUCKING ENDING OF THE SONG

Yes, a lot of people (including me) feels uncomfortable of the creepiness of the ending of the song. I can noticed that Trent forced to finish the record like someone is disturbed while founding the protagonist of the album on his own blood and so on and so forth. I know that it was a clever move of him to say "fuck the ballads, I WANT YOU THAT AFTER THE FUCKING ALBUM YOU GOT THE WORST EPILEPSY IN THE WORLD AND I DON'T CARE IF YOU DIE AFTER THE SHOCKING ENDING".

And that's why I think is the main reason of why so many people hates the song, even if it is the second or third most "popular" song in the album.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Angry sniper is angry, huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No not that much LOL, I was actually going to clarify that I almost cry of the shock after listening to the song the first time I heard it.

This is me after listening to the song for the first time
    Last edited by angry_sniper1990; 08-08-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    ...I was not aware a single person hated Hurt.

If you're talking about the musical cacophony at the end, may I suggest you get Hurt (Quiet)? It's on many releases, TDS Deluxe is best though for everything else on it, and it's essentially the same but without that ending.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I wish there was a Lights In The Sky (Loud).

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    ...I was not aware a single person hated Hurt.
    Yeah me neither. Some people are tired of Closer and Hurt being inevitable staples of concerts, at worst.

For one, I fucking love the Hurt ending. It's absolutely perfect.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say I hate Hurt, but I never really go out of my way to listen to it. In the context of the album, and as the conclusion to the TDS "story," it's perfect, but I'd never put it on a playlist or anything.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I like it much better between "Eraser" and "The Downward Spiral" on the Self Destruct tour, but not enough to hate the song.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    That ending is probably my favorite part of the song. I certainly don't hate hurt and I can't say I've ever met a nin fan who does, but I will say I don't listen to it often. I think perhaps that is because it works best as the end of a musical experience, be it a playthrough of TDS or a live show, and less well as a stand-alone song.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I've never heard people on here saying they hate the song. Just that they're tired of it closing every concert.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I don't hate "Hurt", I hate people at NIN shows who try and fail to clap along with the beat throughout it.
    Last edited by botley; 08-08-2015 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    hurt makes me wanna kill myself. so does SICNH.
    but i don't dislike it.
    i HAVE heard it one two many times and i thought it was fucking awesome that LITS was closed with In This Twilight

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It isn't disliked by fans. Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    It isn't disliked by fans. Hope this helps!
    Customer Service, is that you?!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I know I hate it. Why did Johnny Cash have to write such a terrible song?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Now that really hurts . . .

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think you're doing, like, what? Meta sarcasm?
    Double irony?

Anyway, I'm back from the future to let you know that Cash's version was the cat's ass.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'll never forget when my partner recorded a friend singing this in 2020, and they send it to me and said, "it's a nine inch nails song, but Johnny Cash covered it, and this is a cover of that."

I just texted back: "Do you even know me?"
    I let it go because....COVID I guess.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    What a thread very insightful. NIN fans hate loud moments in music and sudden increase of dynamics, thank God Hurt is the only song that ever did that in the discography, ever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Only thing I have against the ending of Hurt is that it usually means the concert is over.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkIcouldburn View Post
    Only thing I have against the ending of Hurt is that it usually means the concert is over.
    Now this is a fact I can get behind. As far as fans hating Hurt, news to me. I would argue there is more "dislike" for Closer than there is for Hurt

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    i don’t hate it either but i haven’t really enjoyed listening to it in awhile. i also feel like closing with that song instead of hLAH is kind of a downer. i will say that song exploder episode changed my perception of the song. i also recall trent saying that he plays it for the one fan that’s never heard it live. his intention is to connect with that fan and that’s fucking beautiful.

what i don’t like is when i’m wearing a nin shirt and someone says something about johnny cash. yes it’s a great cover. i liked it in 2004 but reznor has done a ton of amazing things since cash covered the song. rarely ever do the johnny cash people know anything else about reznor.

i was wearing my nin hat a few months ago at the park and a dad came up to me asking about my hat and told me he watched song exploder and was listening to the new ghost tracks. this was such a fun exchange because i often feel isolated from the park moms. they barely talk to me and not one has ever mention my nin gear. NIN fan moms, where are you?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    i also feel like closing with that song instead of hLAH is kind of a downer...i also recall trent saying that he plays it for the one fan that’s never heard it live. his intention is to connect with that fan and that’s fucking beautiful.
    Co-signed. I'll be honest, I've dipped from amphitheater shows during Hurt to beat the parking lot logjam. I like it, I appreciate the song and the sentiment but it just doesn't excite me anymore. That's ok to me.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Co-signed. I'll be honest, I've dipped from amphitheater shows during Hurt to beat the parking lot logjam. I like it, I appreciate the song and the sentiment but it just doesn't excite me anymore. That's ok to me.
    But what about when he made the exception to the rule closing with In This Twilight throughout the YZ tour? He made the exception then so he can surely continue to make exceptions going forward. Can you imagine a concert ending with a completely live version of Leaving Hope followed by a brief pause, into an almost acoustic rendition of Underneath It All?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    But what about when he made the exception to the rule closing with In This Twilight throughout the YZ tour? He made the exception then so he can surely continue to make exceptions going forward. Can you imagine a concert ending with a completely live version of Leaving Hope followed by a brief pause, into an almost acoustic rendition of Underneath It All?
    Yeah but that didn't happen. I knew they were closing with Hurt so I left. If there had been a chance for something else I'd have stayed. And if he pulled a rabbit out the hat once on the tour...shame on me.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Yeah but that didn't happen. I knew they were closing with Hurt so I left. If there had been a chance for something else I'd have stayed. And if he pulled a rabbit out the hat once on the tour...shame on me.
    it did happen,

last song: ITT with Zero-Sum piano outro - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-5bd7a3f8.html

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    it did happen,

last song: ITT with Zero-Sum piano outro - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-5bd7a3f8.html
    It did not happen on the tour I'm referring to (summer 2014). I did not attend a show on the Lights In the Sky tour but if I had I would not have left knowing there was a song to follow.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Oh, gotcha.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    it did happen,

I saw that happen too. It made me wish they would've played Zero-Sum SO bad, though. I think it's a (slightly) better song than In This Twilight (still love In This Twilight, though). Regarding Hurt, I personally don't know anyone who dislikes it either. I still enjoy seeing them play it live, though I would welcome a different song to close the show. I've seen them 9 times and they've closed with Hurt every time except on the With Teeth tour in 2005 when they ended with HLAH, which was a pretty great way to end the show – with a blast of energy and another song that EVERYONE there knows the words to.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Its because we all know when head like a hole happens there's only 3 songs left in the set. its why we all sort of get sad with HLAH, THTF or Hurt are played.