Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN spotting 2020

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fragmentjunkie View Post
    Really? It's there! In the right channel. Occasional snippet of the Closer 'tick' and bass synth.
    It definitely sounds like it to me. It's probably too short to confirm, but the second I heard it, I heard ​it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    There's less than 16 hours left to back the final volume of the NIN inspired comic series on Kickstarter. Lots of add-ons available including a trade paperback collection of the last few volumes.

The add-on system is new to Kickstarter. You can back at a low level and add a lot of the options if you don't want one of the available packages. These comics have been genuinely fun to read, so if you have any interest in comics, I highly recommend backing.

Here's an unfinished version of the main cover

The variant cover

This is a "secret" variant cover that will be unlocked and included for free for all backers if the campaign gets to $6000. As of the time of this post, it's currently at $5169. Doable, but it's definitely gonna require some help.

TPB cover

Variant TPB cover (unlocked at $9000, so probably not gonna happen).

And there's also an option for a variant cover featuring a NIN show with your face on the cover, in the crowd.

Sorry for what's essentially a long ad, but I've long been a fan of this series of comics, and I'm excited for this volume. And it's the final one.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ine-inch-nails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today's NYT Crossword Puzzle

14D _ _ _ _ _

"Reznor of rock's Nine Inch Nails"

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Today's NYT Crossword Puzzle

14D _ _ _ _ _

"Reznor of rock's Nine Inch Nails"
    TRONT

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Trent is appearing in a livestream benefit for a New Orleans venue

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Question on Jeopardy last night relating to The Social Network

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Question on Jeopardy last night relating to The Social Network
    My friend sent me the picture

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Trent is appearing in a livestream benefit for a New Orleans venue
    Trent just spoke on the stream. He spoke about his first show at Tipitina’s in 1991 and how much he loves New Orleans, and encouraged helping independent venues. It was weird seeing him wear an Adidas track jacket. He also said he would have performed for the stream if he "had his shit together"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

NIN spotting 2020

Quote Originally Posted by valiantsteed View Post
    It does look cool, I’m definitely buying a ticket for this.

Honestly, if I didn’t have kids/adult responsibilities I would think very hard about raiding my savings to pay for a song. Mike is so freaking talented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Trent just spoke on the stream. He spoke about his first show at Tipitina’s in 1991 and how much he loves New Orleans, and encouraged helping independent venues. It was weird seeing him wear an Adidas track jacket. He also said he would have performed for the stream if he "had his shit together"
    Oh man, he could’ve just started singing without any instruments and we’d have been happy.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Here is Trent’s spot on the Tipitina’s Benefit Stream, I was not sure if it would be archived but it is. Starts at 1 hour and 9 minutes.

Also stay and watch the Les Claypool Frog Brigade performance afterwards. Back to back legends!
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 11-15-2020 at 03:43 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Here's a download of just Trent's segment on Tipitina's, in case anyone wants to save it:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1gkp16...tinas.mp4/file

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    get it together, trent! we miss you and your performances.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

NIN spotting 2020

Assuming their survival and it’s safe to do so, Trent should play that size type of venues (800~1200 capacity) when NIN tours again, even if they have to book 5 nights in each city.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Not exactly a NIN spotting, but because Dead Souls has such a heavy link to NIN, here is Peter Hook and his cover band performing it like a day ago. It probably won’t get seen enough if I just post it in the Joy Division / New Order thread:

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Two basses?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Two basses?
    Based on all the videos on his channel, my guess is he can't play and sing at the same time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Based on all the videos on his channel, my guess is he can't play and sing at the same time.
    Plus it's his son on the other bass, so. But why can't there be two basses anyway? The Cure's Primary uses two.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Plus it's his son on the other bass, so. But why can't there be two basses anyway? The Cure's Primary uses two.
    Pleeeenty of bands have two bassists, or bass as a lead and rhythm instrument.
    ...off topic though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I just spotted that Trent sampled the intro sound to Bowie's Teenage Wildlife and used it as the intro sound to Slipping Away

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Doesn't sound like a sample at all to me. Similar, yes, but not sampled.

Coincidentally, I also found a sample today that isn't listed on ninwiki or whosampled: a Bam! voice clip from the movie Die Hard in Saul's Black History Month (although it was found elsewhere before me, according to google search results)
    Last edited by fillow; 11-22-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I just spotted that Trent sampled the intro sound to Bowie's Teenage Wildlife and used it as the intro sound to Slipping Away
    I totally hear it, and since Trent has talked about being a fan of Scary Monsters, that would make a LOT of sense.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Probably just a soundalike. He already sampled another song on that album for "Pinion" (the shouting at the end of "It's No Game, Part 1") seven years earlier. I don't think he'd go back to the same source that much later without a really good reason...
    Last edited by botley; 11-23-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    without a really good reason...
    The dude really likes Bowie

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Good point.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    In this translated Fincher interview he talks about projects in the works and one of them is ‘working on a musical with a friend’ - Fight Club musical? Although I’m sure the world has had enough of angry white male energy, maybe it could be retooled?

Last edited by WorzelG; 11-24-2020 at 03:09 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    That's a reason, I guess, but for an album session where they spent months and months creating drone sounds from scratch... why would they bother to sample, pitch up, and loop that one ringing synth guitar note from 1980 instead of just plugging in the gigantic rig of guitar amps and pedals TR had set up in the studio and let it feed back for two seconds into a delay?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's a reason, I guess, but for an album session where they spent months and months creating drone sounds from scratch... why would they bother to sample, pitch up, and loop that one ringing synth guitar note from 1980 instead of just plugging in the gigantic rig of guitar amps and pedals TR had set up in the studio and let it feed back for two seconds into a delay?
    I cannot imagine Trent or anyone hearing a non descript one second drone and then spending any amount of time trying to recreate it (unless they were extremely bored). I don't think that it would be as easy as you say. Yes you could plug in the amp and let it rip but then to process the sound until it sounds like the Bowie intro would take time and finesse. What would be the point of all that effort when you can just sample it, tune down and run it through some distortion. The two sounds are too much like one another for this to be a coincidence.

I know they spent all that time creating drones and ambience with Keith. If this was one of those things then why does it loop after less than a second? The answer that makes most sense to me is because they sampled the snippet of Bowie and looped it.

If I have time later I'll try and remember to take the Bowie and process it to make it similar to the NIN. Then and only then Botley we will decide, once and for all, who is the true King of This Ring!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    There an ever simpler answer: this is neither a sample nor an attempt to recreate one. They recorded mountains of this stuff, tons of which never even reached anything resembling a song arrangement. This bit just happened to sound like this.