Page 185 of 215 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 6437

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm biased, but NIN is brutally loud live.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    How does Trent Reznor have any hearing left to be able to make music? I wore expensive ear plugs to the last show and it was still ringing my bell. I remember the first show I ever went to in 1996 left my ears ringing for days. Do musicians end up with permanent, insanity-inducing tinnitus? How does he continue to deal with so many little nuances and subtleties after 30+ years of deafening volumes? I am sure he protects his ears now, but back in the day did he?
    I'm not 100% sure about Trent having hearing issues, but it would make sense if he did, not just from touring but also recording. I think taking large chunks of time off from touring has probably helped though. He's not been one of those musicians that constantly has to tour.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    How does Trent Reznor have any hearing left to be able to make music? I wore expensive ear plugs to the last show and it was still ringing my bell. I remember the first show I ever went to in 1996 left my ears ringing for days. Do musicians end up with permanent, insanity-inducing tinnitus? How does he continue to deal with so many little nuances and subtleties after 30+ years of deafening volumes? I am sure he protects his ears now, but back in the day did he?
    Like others have said, it's just not as loud on stage. And since he started using IEMs, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Yeah they are not getting the full brunt force that we get. Being behind those giants stacks on either side of a stage makes a huge difference.

That being said, NIN shows are by far the most pleasant, least painfully loud "big" shows that I go to. Many times I take my earplugs out for good portions of the show bc everything is attenuated so well, and I'm not just talking about during songs like SICNH. And that's even when I'm pretty close to the stage when I've gotten lucky enough. I think Trent has some of, if not THE, best sound guys in the business, so this doesn't surprise me.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Yes, the whole band has been on IEM since 2005, and that makes a big difference to performers' hearing. In the old days, they had those big Meyer biamplified wedge monitors facing them, which while sounding AWESOME definitely wouldn't have been quiet... add that to the lack of in-ear separation from the natural noise of the drumkit and PA out front, and whatever the guitarists' speaker cabinets on stage are doing (usually cranked, hah)... everything on stage would have been significantly louder in the 90s than it is today. The one time I thought the sound at a NIN show out front was even close to painful since then was at the 2014 outdoor show in Toronto (sounded like they were having real trouble getting the PA to cut through the natural reverberation of the venue)... whereas the indoor show here a year before that was some of the best-sounding live mixing at a totally reasonable volume I've ever heard in such a big space.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Maybe I'm biased, but NIN is brutally loud live.
    really? I’ve never felt they were excessively loud anytime I’ve seen them

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Good discussion here.

I have permanent tinnitus that I can hear when it’s quiet and I haven’t come anywhere close to the number of shows that they must have played before using IEM. But who knows, maybe he always protected his ears? I also know a drummer from a rock band who has never protected his ears and he’s almost sixty and seems to be fine. Maybe it varies?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    How does Trent Reznor have any hearing left to be able to make music?
    Tin Foil Theory: He doesn't have any hearing left which is the real reason he leaves Atticus to "make sense" of everything in the studio.

I have permanent (as in 24 hours a day) tinnitus in my left ear, and have since I was 28. I've never worn any sort of ear protection to concerts.

I also find Nine Inch Nails to be tame in terms of concert volume. The loudest show I've ever been to was a Bassnectar show, believe it or not. It was uncomfortably loud and bassy; worse than any indoor motor show/race I've attended. Drone/Doom concerts tend to be extremely loud also: Sonic Youth (second loudest concert I've attended), Sunn O))), Boris, Swans, and My Bloody Valentine all stand out.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^ Yeah, I’ve been to shows where I could not hear much of anything for a few hours after I left; it was like I was underwater. Some typical classic rock arena shows, obviously, but also Ministry was some of the loudest shows.

I have permanent tinnitus which presents itself as a high-pitched ringing in both ears (but especially my left). It changes in severity depending on circumstances, e.g. caffeine or alcohol consumption, my migraine medication, sleep. Luckily, it never causes me any discomfort or pain. I had a friend whose tinnitus was SO bad, she heard what sounded like “motorcycles” which means she was mostly deaf.

I started wearing ear plugs to loud shows around 20 years ago, because I don’t want to eventually need hearing aids. MOVIES at the theater are way too loud now, it concerns me that children are exposed to those high decibels.

As @botley mentioned, in-ear monitors have revolutionized live shows for musicians, but so have house amplification systems. In the old days, there were no house PAs, there were just blasted amps on stage and the musicians were in front of them.

Lots of artists are pretty much deaf in either one or both ears and have varying severity of tinnitus, including but not limited to:

* Neil Young
    * Jeff Beck
    * Sting
    * Whoopi Goldberg (she wears hearing aids in both ears)
    * Ozzy Osbourne
    * Eric Clapton
    * Pete Townsend
    * Alex Van Halen
    * Lars Ulrich
    * Brian Johnson (AC / DC)
    * Anthony Kiedis
    * Danny Elfman
    * Moby
    * Barbra Streisand
    * Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk)
    * Chris Martin
    * will.i.am

Even classical musicians are at risk.

Last edited by allegro; 05-15-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When talking about NIN, do you talk about a band or duo? And before Atticus joined were you talking about the artist Nine Inch Nails or the band Nine Inch Nails. I've always talked about "my favorite band Nine Inch Nails" but technically it should be the artist (now duo).

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FRDU View Post
    When talking about NIN, do you talk about a band or duo? And before Atticus joined were you talking about the artist Nine Inch Nails or the band Nine Inch Nails. I've always talked about "my favorite band Nine Inch Nails" but technically it should be the artist (now duo).
    It's always been a 'band' for me; even back in the Fragility days it was clear that players like Charlie & Danny, and other studio production team members like Keith Hillebrandt (and especially Alan Moulder) were part of the overall sound, even though TR was always at the center of composition and production process. A duo is still a band, BTW. Trent Reznor is an artist in a band.
    Last edited by botley; 05-15-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Yeah they are not getting the full brunt force that we get. Being behind those giants stacks on either side of a stage makes a huge difference.

That being said, NIN shows are by far the most pleasant, least painfully loud "big" shows that I go to. Many times I take my earplugs out for good portions of the show bc everything is attenuated so well, and I'm not just talking about during songs like SICNH. And that's even when I'm pretty close to the stage when I've gotten lucky enough. I think Trent has some of, if not THE, best sound guys in the business, so this doesn't surprise me.
    I was shocked at how reasonable the volume was in Vegas last year and ended up leaving my earplugs out the majority of both shows. The mixing was incredible.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    ^ Yeah, I’ve been to shows where I could not hear much of anything for a few hours after I left; it was like I was underwater. Some typical classic rock arena shows, obviously, but also Ministry was some of the loudest shows.

I have permanent tinnitus which presents itself as a high-pitched ringing in both ears (but especially my left). It changes in severity depending on circumstances, e.g. caffeine or alcohol consumption, my migraine medication, sleep. Luckily, it never causes me any discomfort or pain. I had a friend whose tinnitus was SO bad, she heard what sounded like “motorcycles” which means she was mostly deaf.

I started wearing ear plugs to loud shows around 20 years ago, because I don’t want to eventually need hearing aids. MOVIES at the theater are way too loud now, it concerns me that children are exposed to those high decibels.

As @botley mentioned, in-ear monitors have revolutionized live shows for musicians, but so have house amplification systems. In the old days, there were no house PAs, there were just blasted amps on stage and the musicians were in front of them.

Lots of artists are pretty much deaf in either one or both ears and have varying severity of tinnitus, including but not limited to:

* Neil Young
    * Jeff Beck
    * Sting
    * Whoopi Goldberg (she wears hearing aids in both ears)
    * Ozzy Osbourne
    * Eric Clapton
    * Pete Townsend
    * Alex Van Halen
    * Lars Ulrich
    * Brian Johnson (AC / DC)
    * Anthony Kiedis
    * Danny Elfman
    * Moby
    * Barbra Streisand
    * Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk)
    * Chris Martin
    * will.i.am

Even classical musicians are at risk.

That is really sad to hear bout how many musicians suffer the loss of being able to enjoy what they love. I wonder if Trent has never talked about it because he's fine and doesn't have any loss, or if he doesn't want to admit to it because he's pretty private about things in general. I know this seems like such a tangent conversation, but it really isn't - imagine being into a visual artist and finding out they are partially blind. It's really fundamental to what they are doing and what is possible in the future.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I know I will chime in here because I try to advocate for earplugs as much as I can to other people.

I had chronic ear infections as a kid. Leaving me with very sensitive ears. I've always been very aware of protecting them because loud sounds hurt. I have always worn earplugs at shows since I started going to concerts. If I didn't have them, I really became nauseated. I don't listen to my music loud and just overall have tried to keep my ears healthy. Of course I have forgotten them a few times, I went to Carl Craig at a small club in Detroit and the soundguy LOVED to turn up the music to excessive levels. I feel like that really did me in being there for 2 hours. I've had ringing in my ears that are pretty profound since that night. Some nights it's hard to sleep, I'm bummed because I have always tried to take care of my ears. I know that in my near future will mean hearing aids and I am just dreading that day.

I finally got some molded plugs at my audiologist. They really help, especially when I go to my all night DJ parties I still like to attend. The music is stupid clear and my ears don't fatigue or have profound ringing due to damage because the sound is attenuated down to a decent level.

TLDR: I have tinnitus, it sucks. If you go to shows, get some custom plugs. Will change your life.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I know I will chime in here because I try to advocate for earplugs as much as I can to other people.

I had chronic ear infections as a kid. Leaving me with very sensitive ears. I've always been very aware of protecting them because loud sounds hurt. I have always worn earplugs at shows since I started going to concerts. If I didn't have them, I really became nauseated. I don't listen to my music loud and just overall have tried to keep my ears healthy. Of course I have forgotten them a few times, I went to Carl Craig at a small club in Detroit and the soundguy LOVED to turn up the music to excessive levels. I feel like that really did me in being there for 2 hours. I've had ringing in my ears that are pretty profound since that night. Some nights it's hard to sleep, I'm bummed because I have always tried to take care of my ears. I know that in my near future will mean hearing aids and I am just dreading that day.

I finally got some molded plugs at my audiologist. They really help, especially when I go to my all night DJ parties I still like to attend. The music is stupid clear and my ears don't fatigue or have profound ringing due to damage because the sound is attenuated down to a decent level.

TLDR: I have tinnitus, it sucks. If you go to shows, get some custom plugs. Will change your life.

Yeah, this is good advice. It's weird that it's one of those things that doesn't heal or get better. I have it but i haven't played hundreds of screaming loud shows for decades. I just really can't help but wonder what it is like for these guys.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Does store.NIN.com ever have any seasonal sales? I really want to pick up that black and white NIN hoodie, but was thinking about getting it in the middle of summer if they generally put it on sale at some point.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Does store.NIN.com ever have any seasonal sales? I really want to pick up that black and white NIN hoodie, but was thinking about getting it in the middle of summer if they generally put it on sale at some point.
    merchbar has a lot of the same stuff and sometimes has sales / coupons (you can also try installing the Honey plugin, even if it doesn't work, it's adorable to see the dancing coin guy haha)

you could also try your discount code if you still have it, i know some people had luck using them more than once.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    merchbar has a lot of the same stuff and sometimes has sales / coupons (you can also try installing the Honey plugin, even if it doesn't work, it's adorable to see the dancing coin guy haha)

you could also try your discount code if you still have it, i know some people had luck using them more than once.
    I think I already used my discount code.

But thanks for the update though! I'll check out Merchbar for the hoodie for sure.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I never used my code, by the time I wanted to buy anything it had "expired", didn't try using it after. Anyone try using it after the "expiration date" and have luck?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I never used my code, by the time I wanted to buy anything it had "expired", didn't try using it after. Anyone try using it after the "expiration date" and have luck?
    Mine worked fine, got the Ghosts tee and some other paraphernalia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a nerdy question: I remember that some years ago, I read an interview with a German guitarist who was auditioning for being a NIN touring member in the early 90s. He (obviously) never made it to becoming a regular touring member of NIN. Does anyone of you remember this guy's name? I know there was some sort of article and/or interview about this somewhere. I read it and it gave more or less detailed information about the auditions and so on. It was interesting.

Hope someone can help me here (either by mentioning this guy's name or linking the article/interview). Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    I've got a nerdy question: I remember that some years ago, I read an interview with a German guitarist who was auditioning for being a NIN touring member in the early 90s. He (obviously) never made it to becoming a regular touring member of NIN. Does anyone of you remember this guy's name? I know there was some sort of article and/or interview about this somewhere. I read it and it gave more or less detailed information about the auditions and so on. It was interesting.

Hope someone can help me here (either by mentioning this guy's name or linking the article/interview). Thanks!
    Finally found it! German version (use google translate): http://www.nin-pages.de/2005_Visions_Juli.htm

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hey, anyone remembers the library of drums and distorted samples that T&A used for Year Zero ?

I remember some sort of a mostly white cover with the name of a guy containing "Z" in it, could be wrong, just fragments..

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Is there a comprehensive TR image archive with photographer credits? This reddit post got me wondering if it would be easier to mockup a design and find a print house that can print 40x60".

It seems like both of the images below were taken during the same photo session (possibly around the MOTP video shoot in 1994?).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    It seems like both of the images below were taken during the same photo session (possibly around the MOTP video shoot in 1994?).
    Joseph Cultice

His Woodstock stuff is awesome.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Please tell me the delay for the next batch of remasters albums has both to do with the 2008 fire at Unversal and this stuff is not lost forever. I hope to fuck Trent backed his shit up. Has Trent said anything about the fire?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    ... Has Trent said anything about the fire?
    Might as well be this

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Is there a comprehensive TR image archive with photographer credits?
    Just saw this. I have quite a few hi-res photos in the art/photos section of http://www.nindestruct.com. Photographer names are in the file names.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I feel like a total non-fan for even having to ask this, but I'm sleep deprived and stressed and having an utter brain fart. What's the song playing for just a couple seconds at the very, very beginning of this?? It's driving me absolutely mad that I can't remember.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "Too late, all gone" from Welcome Oblivion.